Florida panhandle, USA
✟922,775.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Ah ok - I haven't read the article related to those comments so it was hard to follow exactly what the comments were referencing. Thanks for the clarification

I admit I haven't been paying a great deal of attention to what is happening with the council preparations. Perhaps if I check that out it will make more sense.
I read the comments, but honestly, I don't worry too much about what a random mix of people on FB say. They say all sorts of things. Some of it is very not in line with what I've learned. They aren't asking for my correction (why would they?) and I don't know them or their real issues or point of view. Sometimes - rarely - I will ask a question that is meant to point to an issue, but that is very rare.

Among my actual friends, I would probably say something and make sure they are ok if they seem to be going off the rails. (It hasn't happened - well, actually - it has, twice, but it was more just folks being reactionary to things they were going through and it didn't involve speaking against truth. And in those cases, I just assume the person has a crisis - and it turned out to be true in both cases - and I see if I can offer prayer or encouragement.)

But I was speaking in generalities - what happens if there is a situation that clearly goes against the faith and needs to be addressed - and I was asking in that case.

As far as FB though - there are some real - ah - non-representative folks on there. So I mostly steer clear of them, try to do damage control if it seems to splash onto or confuse any of my friends who are newer to Orthodoxy (newer than I am - wow, that's saying something, LOL), but I wasn't even thinking of that kind of thing when I agreed about asking our responsibilities in "doing something". If we think we are going to police every thought on FB well ... no one has that kind of time, I'm thinking.

If I complained to my priest or SF about objectionable opinions among Orthodoxy on FB, and couldn't deal with it on my own, I know what they would tell me. They would tell me to get off FB. They wouldn't waste the bishop's time (or their own) in trying to deal with it. So no, that wasn't at all what I was discussing. I should have been more specific myself. My apologies.

Reactions: rusmeister
Upvote 0

gzt

The age of the Earth is 4.54 ± 0.07 billion years
Jul 14, 2004
Abolish ICE
Visit site
✟117,815.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
re: the dentist's radio. That's certainly a fair idea - then it seems the issue here, though, isn't religious persecution so much as a disagreement over what the fair way to accommodate this kind of workplace conflict is.

Upvote 0

~Anastasia~

† Handmaid of God †
Dec 1, 2013
Florida panhandle, USA
✟922,775.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
I think if the Muslim owns the office he should be able to play whatever kind of music he wants in the office as it is HIS office.
I actually agree. If you don't want to hear Muslim music (or whatever kind), don't apply for a job there. I think any business owner ought to be able to play whatever they want in their own establishment (except for, say x-rated lyrics where children might be found). If it is objectionable to the masses, they will lose business.

This of course would lead to a problem if the country becomes nearly all Muslim - where would any of us work? But I think we'd have bigger problems before that point anyway ...

Reactions: ZaidaBoBaida
Upvote 0

gzt

Jul 14, 2004
Abolish ICE
Visit site
✟117,815.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
Upvote 0

~Anastasia~

† Handmaid of God †
Dec 1, 2013
Florida panhandle, USA
✟922,775.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
So what about this article is supposed to get us rankling? And prepared to inform on people who liked the article?
Oh, I for one will not have time to read that tonight - I have other things lined up. But fwiw, I wasn't responding to anything specific when I posted my part in the "witch hunt" ;) (teasing you, gzt) ... as I said, I was speaking in generalities. I thought we were talking earlier about supporting same-sex marriage - or maybe that was another thread. My apologies.

Upvote 0

rusmeister

A Russified American Orthodox Chestertonian
Dec 9, 2005
Eastern Europe
Visit site
✟435,370.00
Country
Montenegro
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Right. I suspect we would probably agree on all things that an Orthodox should consider immoral, including gay marriage. But our disagreement lies it what immoral actions the State must be relied upon to proscribe.

Your logic seems confused. You say:
1. It is un Orthodox to seek to legalise things that are immoral. "I AM saying that is IS immoral to support legalization of immorality".However;
2. When challenged, you suggest you don't want to make immoral things illegal. "But you seem to think I am trying to PASS laws against immorality". And yet, now you say;
3. "If we can influence law and national morality, we should".

So, if it is always sinful to support legalised gay marriage, what other immoral activity's legality is it also always sinful to support? Is it always sinful to support legalised fornication or adultery? If not, what makes gay marriage different?

It seems rather easy for us to simply oppose legalisation of actions, but I think we need to establish a justification for when the State should intervene to buttress Christian morality. Why is the State needed to prohibit gay marriage but not gay sex or fornication or greed?

The State is a two edged sword: a State that is sufficiently intrusive to prevent legalised gay marriage may also be sufficiently intrusive to prevent legalised Christian teaching and practice.

I think it would be more helpful if you asked questions rather than assume that I am confused, to ask me to explain what seems like a contradiction or inconsistency to you, rather than say that my logic is confused.

First of all, I think that the initial state should be an absolute minimum of laws. I believe that, as long as a people has common sense, they don't need laws. Thus, I do not think we should run around trying to make every imaginable immoral action specifically illegal. I think we should rely on the common sense that knows things are wrong without law.

Law becomes necessary where this common sense breaks down. When people begin, on a significant scale, to treat immoral behavior as normal and socially acceptable, law is the force of the state forbidding what the common conscience is in danger of ceasing to forbid. Yet even this reaches a point of futility, if everyone comes to accept the immoral behavior as socially acceptable, as meriting public approval, or at least public tolerance.

I think fornication ought to be illegal. But I think that before that, and more important than that, it should be subject to social stigma, a force more powerful and effective than law.

So the problem is that, under the influence of mass media and centrally-controlled government education, people have become inured to what they once thought horrific. I don't think ANY law can save a people that turn their backs on the Christian God. At the very most, law can only delay the collapse of Sodom. But I think the delay, what Tolkien called fighting "the long defeat", to be a good thing.

The specific issue of both social tolerance of sodomy and the idea of "same-sex marriage", along with sexual morality in general, differ from most other moral issues in that people are now beginning to believe that "anything goes" in the family and sexuality.a powerful social voice is needed to affirm that "anything " must NOT "go". Law is a last-ditch, short-term tool that can slow down the cancerous spread. But it can't stop it, not without national repentance. So I think we are witnessing the decline and fall of western civilization, something that will make both the fall of Rome and the resulting "Dark Ages" and the fall of the Soviet Union look like minor things by comparison; but before that, we will see a new persecution of Christians that will similarly eclipse anything Nero or Diocletian ever orchestrated. Fearful times are ahead. If you don't understand how that can be, particularly the collapse of civilization, then I would recommend Chesterton's book to more clearly understand the nature of the family, affirmed by the Orthodox Church (and Hopko's stuff on the OCA site is pretty good for the spiritual aspect) in secular terms, that is, in terms of what the family does and is in this world.

I hope that clarifies my own view. It seems fairly clear and straightforward to me, but I can see how it might not be to others. At any rate, it's not confusion. If there is anything you are not clear on, feel free to ask!

Last edited:
Reactions: ZaidaBoBaida
Upvote 0

gzt

Jul 14, 2004
Abolish ICE
Visit site
✟117,815.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
Well, I would just say that I disagree with pretty much all of what you say beyond the doctrinal requirements of the Orthodox Church. Particularly the following horrifying bit:

I think fornication ought to be illegal. But I think that before that, and more important than that, it should be subject to social stigma, a force more powerful and effective than law.

In fact, it's my opinion that this is contrary to Orthodoxy.

Upvote 0

All4Christ

✙ The Handmaid of God Laura ✙
CF Senior Ambassador
Site Supporter
Mar 11, 2003
PA
Visit site
✟1,021,360.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
I also disagree with the statement gzt quoted. Social stigma alienates people and tries to coerce people into following the normative requirements of society.

As Orthodox Christians - rather as any Christian - we are to be examples to people, yet are not to alienate sinners. Jesus ate with the tax collectors, befriended the prostitutes, ate with the sinners. He never approved of the behavior - and in fact condemned the behavior - but not the person. He showed the people love to bring them to salvation.

This especially applies to those who are not Christian.

Reactions: gzt
Upvote 0
Oct 15, 2008
Central California
✟274,079.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Why should there be no stigma attached to defiling God's sexual moral code? Back in the day, to have a child out of wedlock was SHAMEFUL! If you did such a thing, you better leave town and raise the baby elsewhere and make up one great excuse because your reputation in your hometown was now zilch. Women actually cared about being considered a "lady" to some degree, and sex outside of marriage was more taboo. Why is it horrifying to want to get back to that? And how is it contrary to Orthodoxy to legally stop fornication? I'll admit, it's about as realistic as the Dodgers winning a World Series, but still, what is actually un-Orthodox about it? And what is horrifying? I'd love to see fornication dealt with!

Well, I would just say that I disagree with pretty much all of what you say beyond the doctrinal requirements of the Orthodox Church. Particularly the following horrifying bit:

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

All4Christ

CF Senior Ambassador
Site Supporter
Mar 11, 2003
PA
Visit site
✟1,021,360.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
I'm not advocating social approval of it. In fact, social disapproval would be ideal. That said, we are not to condemn people and that is a result of social stigma, is it not? At least on the modern definition of he word. Condemn the sin yes. Never approve of it. But condemn the person, no.

Upvote 0
Oct 15, 2008
Central California
✟274,079.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Why should there be no stigma attached to defiling God's sexual moral code? Back in the day, to have a child out of wedlock was SHAMEFUL! If you did such a thing, you better leave town and raise the baby elsewhere and make up one great excuse because your reputation in your hometown was now zilch. This is what happened to my mother-in-law, God rest her soul, a WONDERFUL woman, but it was a tough lesson for her to learn. And in Philippine society back in the 1960's and 1970's, you just didn't do the out of wedlock thing! But what ended up happening? The Filipinos became a more permissive promiscuous society like the one you seem to be ok with allowing and my sister-in-law decided to get pregnant TWICE out of wedlock! Then what followed? Two different nieces from the other sisters-in-law of mine had several kids out of wedlock. The family there thinks this is normal, fine, and really even the Catholic Church is started to kind of throw their hands up and say, "meh, aw shucks, what're ya gonna do, man? It's 2016!" The LGBT fascist Nazi regime is SUPER strong in the Philippines. They've started to think sodomy is cute and hip there as well.

Heck, a little stigma is just what we need in this morally bankrupt mess!

Women actually cared about being considered a "lady" to some degree, and sex outside of marriage was more taboo. Why is it horrifying to want to get back to that? And how is it contrary to Orthodoxy to legally stop fornication? I'll admit, it's about as realistic as the Dodgers winning a World Series, but still, what is actually un-Orthodox about it? And what is horrifying? I'd love to see fornication dealt with!

Upvote 0

gzt

Jul 14, 2004
Abolish ICE
Visit site
✟117,815.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
Back in the day, to have a child out of wedlock was SHAMEFUL! If you did such a thing, you better leave town and raise the baby elsewhere and make up one great excuse because your reputation in your hometown was now zilch. Women actually cared about being considered a "lady" to some degree, and sex outside of marriage was more taboo.
Note: all the burden here seems to be on the lady.

I would just note that I've known people who have had children out of wedlock where the Church dealt with it in a loving and non-stigmatized manner... and they remain in the Church because they were not stigmatized. And others, not in Orthodoxy but in other places, where they were stigmatized and basically that made them turn their back on the religion. Or they got an abortion rather than deal with stigma and ostracism. Or whatever. Shaming doesn't really work. Confession is secret, and that's where our sins are dealt with. And that's a mercy for those of us without any pastoral authority and responsibility.

Upvote 0

dzheremi

Coptic Orthodox non-Egyptian
Aug 27, 2014
✟429,692.00
Country
United States
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
I rather like what I saw in New Mexico during my four years there. A solidly Roman Catholic state (at least in terms of historical influence, which looms large), and seemingly willing to put its very limited resources where its mouth is, I saw several crisis pregnancy centers (to be distinguished from abortion providers like PP, who are also there and sometimes call themselves by similar names; these were clearly Roman Catholic agencies) and similar places prominently advertised in various parts of the city. Given the choice, I would rather put my own energy into strengthening and publicizing what merciful options there are for all involved, though this of course doesn't preclude also preaching traditional Christian morality to the minority who will listen, so that God willing they will become the majority. I just don't think you can get there from here without a lot of very basic discussion and teaching on Christian anthropology, marriage, etc., which honestly can sometimes get lost in favor of the more visceral shaming response. I know so many atheists and agnostics of all ages and backgrounds who view their own religious upbringing as a source of shame and guilt and something to flee from as quickly as possible. So many have been hurt by the lack of balance and love (true Christian love, not "I'm okay, you're okay" worldly indifference) that I have found in my own Church and that I have to believe exists in yours as well.

Upvote 0
Oct 15, 2008
Central California
✟274,079.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
So is our goal now solely to keep people in the Church? Sounds like placating people.

And personally I'm all for putting the burden on men and stigmatizing the heck out of them. I'm sick of women bearing all the brunt. I'm an equal opportunity stigmatizer! LOL

Note: all the burden here seems to be on the lady.

I would just note that I've known people who have had children out of wedlock where the Church dealt with it in a loving and non-stigmatized manner... and they remain in the Church because they were not stigmatized. And others, not in Orthodoxy but in other places, where they were stigmatized and basically that made them turn their back on the religion. Or they got an abortion rather than deal with stigma and ostracism. Or whatever. Shaming doesn't really work. Confession is secret, and that's where our sins are dealt with. And that's a mercy for those of us without any pastoral authority and responsibility.

Reactions: Orthodoxjay1
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

gzt

Jul 14, 2004
Abolish ICE
Visit site
✟117,815.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
One set repented, one set didn't. Both come out knowing what the Church teaches. I seem to recall the Bible stating that God desires that all should be saved and come to a knowledge of the truth. Sounds like that only happened in the former case.

Upvote 0

rusmeister

Dec 9, 2005
Eastern Europe
Visit site
✟435,370.00
Country
Montenegro
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married

I'm just curious: what do you think the Law is? As well as its fulfillment? If the adulterous woman was supposed to "Go and sin no more", how in the heck was she supposed to know what sin is?

You seem to think stigma is to be attached to people, and not to sin. I say that Christian stigma is specifically towards sin, and is essential, both to our personal lives, and how we should teach our children, and what to encourage people NOT to do, as well as what TO do. How many Church fathers would I have to quote, how much Scripture would I have to recite, to show that? (I've got a line to Jackstraw, if need be... :) )

If that's "horrifying", I don't know why you ever bother to go to Confession. It's only because you perceive stigma, the consciousness that a thing is wrong, that you could even be motivated to repent. And we SHOULD condemn sin, and praise righteousness, and enact that in our own lives, and teach and exhort those around us, particularly those we bear any responsibility towards; our neighbor, our children, anyone we are in authority over (and if the citizen's vote represents authority, then it extends into our action in society).

Upvote 0

rusmeister

Dec 9, 2005
Eastern Europe
Visit site
✟435,370.00
Country
Montenegro
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
I also disagree with the statement gzt quoted. Social stigma alienates people and tries to coerce people into following the normative requirements of society.

As Orthodox Christians - rather as any Christian - we are to be examples to people, yet are not to alienate sinners. Jesus ate with the tax collectors, befriended the prostitutes, ate with the sinners. He never approved of the behavior - and in fact condemned the behavior - but not the person. He showed the people love to bring them to salvation.

This especially applies to those who are not Christian.
This misunderstands what stigma is. I suspect this conception is based on modern psychology, which tries to banish all sense of shame from our lives.

You are quite right, that we are not supposed to alienate people. But we ARE supposed to think some forms of behavior bad, and actually disapprove of them. That IS what stigma is: the disapproval of certain types of behavior.

What you folks seem to think is that any condemnation of sin is the judgement of God on the sinner. If I extend this logic beyond sexual morality (the thing we have most caved on and fear to condemn), to other forms of immorality, then we'd have to avoid condemning murder,, or any sin at all ,because they also deserves social stigma.

Nobody's talking about alienating anyone. I, for one, am talking about speaking the truth in love, in love - keeping open lines, not shutting off people who go wrong (as we ourselves do) but disapproving of sin, with all humility and love, recognizing that I am the chief of sinners.

Upvote 0

All4Christ

CF Senior Ambassador
Site Supporter
Mar 11, 2003
PA
Visit site
✟1,021,360.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
I don't think that condemnation of sin is the judgment of God on the sinner.

Often in social stigma though, the offender IS judged and alienated. So I see no problem with society disapproving of sin. I do see a problem with Orthodox Christians following what many people do with social stigma though: avoiding people, shaming them, making them feel unwelcome and unworthy. If you have experienced social stigma (I have seen it personally with medical issues), it often extends to those reactions.

So disapproval of sin by society? That's not a problem (though I doubt that will happen with fornication). Following the general pattern of what often happens with social stigma could very well be a problem though.

Upvote 0
Aug 27, 2012
United States of America
✟41,078.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Feeling ashamed after sinning can be helpful and lead to repentance. But stigmatizing a person by shunning, branding them, calling them names, excluding them, ostracizing them, acting out violently against them, etc is absolutely unacceptable.

I know this is difficult for some conservatives to hear, but I believe, (as well as many others) that the reason why we are seeing such a backlash against what is perceived as Christianity in the West is precisely because of the way Western Christendom dealt with people and their sins. Some (Conservative people) may think they are innocent victims being attacked by these people who just up and decided one day to hate on Christians. I suppose that may be true for some of them, but for the majority, I'm doubtful that's the case.

One of the biggest mistakes we made in the West is to conflate Christianity with Conservatism. The West took a very legalistic approach to Christianity. This influenced how people treated one another when they sinned.

My parents and my other older relatives who grew up in the mid 20th century, as well as stories about my even older relatives (late 19th-early 20th centuries) told stories about what people would do to one another because certain actions were considered "shameful". It was terrible how they treated each other.

Perhaps if someone is a member of a community, in our case, a member of a parish, and they are refusing to repent, and their actions are causing a great harm to the rest of the community, then I can see where "shaming" a person might be appropriate. What I mean by that is telling the person you cannot come here anymore, you cannot be a part of this community until you repent, or removing that person from a position of leadership (if they are the parish council president or something like that). Then and only then would we take such actions.

Upvote 0