Earth
✟1,466,515.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
haha, i always chuckle when people frustratedly tell me "you think your opinion is right!" -- well yes, lil' lassie, that's why it's my opinion ;). what they're really saying is "i'm so angry that you won't just roll over and accept anything i say!"

haha, you are such a Willardite (and I concur with you wholeheartedly)

Upvote 0

rusmeister

A Russified American Orthodox Chestertonian
Dec 9, 2005
Eastern Europe
Visit site
✟435,570.00
Country
Montenegro
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
(As the dust settles...)
I think the liberalism is going to continue to creep regardless of any argument. It is creepy in its nature. I think having children is salutary, as we recognize that laissez-faire politics expose our innocent children to unnecessary and entirely preventable evils despite our best efforts. But even having children is no guarantee that a person will recognize that - though it helps. Christians tend to support social liberty to commit the modern evils because either they honestly (and foolishly) think the evils do no harm, or they really don't care that they do (and that leads back to the apathy toward your neighbor charge - a violation of the command to love him).

It's pretty simple. If we have power to influence law for moral good in the state, we should. If we don't, we go underground and get persecuted.

Upvote 0

MilesVitae

Nov 12, 2012
Massachusetts, New England
✟9,880.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Hey Rus,

I didn't mean to suggest that coercion by the government is intrinsically bad. But, of course, there are matters in which (depending on the circumstances of the particular society, at least) it need not, or even ought not, be used - if that's not true, then totalitarianism would be the only option. And, of course, that belief (that the government need and ought not to be involved in some matters, including moral issues) is not inseparably bound to relativism, moral apathy, secularism, and atheism - I think Christians can disagree about whether the government ought to proscribe some things (e.g., marijuana or other drugs, sexual immorality of one kind or another, etc.) in a given circumstance. And as for those who take that so far as to declare support for libertarianism (depending on what precisely that means), I don't think that belief is necessarily founded in the above list of evils either, mistaken though it may be.

Upvote 0

MilesVitae

Nov 12, 2012
✟9,880.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
I'd love to see your commentary, political or otherwise, on Blade Runner ;)

THAT IS THE REPUBLICANS. Profit comes first. Death is just an unfortunate side effect of profit margins. Worker is expendable.

When you watch "The Goonies," those TOTAL JERK real estate scumbags trying to take away all the homes of the Goonies' parents, kicking them out on the streets so they can build a rich man's racket club there, THOSE ARE REPUBLICANS!

Or take a movie like Erin Brockovich....PG&E are obviously the Republican scumbags in that flick!

If an insurance company is trying to not cover someone or worm out and let someone die, it's pretty Republican.
The government wanting to register mutants in the X-MEN and you have the GOP ^_^

The dirtbags in "Jaws" who know there is a great white killer shark in the waters, but want to keep the beach open for business anyway? Republicans! ^_^

Then let's take the Democrats!

Basically any movie you can think of where the government spies on people, there is communism, or societal degenerates, and you have liberals.

American Pie--liberals
Ed Wood--cross-dressing film director---liberal LOL
The entire Federation of Star Fleet in Star Trek
All the police chiefs and powers-that-be in the Dirty Harry movies who try to stop Harry from doing anything to catch cold-blooded killers
The morons in the Road Warrior who are willing to give up their oil refinery and gas trusting the Humungous hordes will give them safe passage into the waste land! :confused::eek::p:p:p
All the horny camp counselors of the Friday the 13th flicks
The government jerks in E.T. that wanted to capture the poor alien
The crazy mystic lady in Poltergeist
All the big government conspirators in all X-Files shows and flicks
Any and everyone even loosely related to "The Crying Game"
The E.P.A. jerk, "Peck" in Ghostbusters who wanted to shut down their reactor
All the liberal morons in "Red Dawn"
Any corrupt trial lawyer you've ever seen in any movie ever
All of the characters from Fifty Shades of Grey

Honestly, if you look at liberals and conservatives, they're pretty bizarre. Normalcy, balance, equilibrium, peace, truth lay somewhere in the middle. Hudge and Pudge, right, Rus? ;)

In the end the Fed, the petrodollar, international bankers all run the country. The illusion is thinking our votes matter anyway!

Upvote 0

rusmeister

A Russified American Orthodox Chestertonian
Dec 9, 2005
Eastern Europe
Visit site
✟435,570.00
Country
Montenegro
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Hey Rus,

I didn't mean to suggest that coercion by the government is intrinsically bad. But, of course, there are matters in which (depending on the circumstances of the particular society, at least) it need not, or even ought not, be used - if that's not true, then totalitarianism would be the only option. And, of course, that belief (that the government need and ought not to be involved in some matters, including moral issues) is not inseparably bound to relativism, moral apathy, secularism, and atheism - I think Christians can disagree about whether the government ought to proscribe some things (e.g., marijuana or other drugs, sexual immorality of one kind or another, etc.) in a given circumstance. And as for those who take that so far as to declare support for libertarianism (depending on what precisely that means), I don't think that belief is necessarily founded in the above list of evils either, mistaken though it may be.
Thanks!
But I think I covered those bases. As I said, law should only be a resort when public behavior threatens to make immorality normal; we certainly shouldn't desire a law for every imaginable human situation!
Christians may sometimes disagree, of course, but they should not disagree when the sad situation of the normalization of public immorality arises.
I think it possible to call oneself any political name and be genuinely concerned about the community as a whole as well as its parts, and the impact of immorality on it. I just don't think that a person who really believes in Christian morality and the imperative to love our neighbor can specially support supposed "rights" to do wrongs to self, others, and the community.

Upvote 0

MilesVitae

Nov 12, 2012
✟9,880.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Thanks!
But I think I covered those bases. As I said, law should only be a resort when public behavior threatens to make immorality normal; we certainly shouldn't desire a law for every imaginable human situation!

I think you did, I just wanted to clarify my own intention in my posts.

Christians may sometimes disagree, of course, but they should not disagree when the sad situation of the normalization of public immorality arises.
I think it possible to call oneself any political name and be genuinely concerned about the community as a whole as well as its parts, and the impact of immorality on it. I just don't think that a person who really believes in Christian morality and the imperative to love our neighbor can specially support supposed "rights" to do wrongs to self, others, and the community.

Fair enough. I think it would depend on the particular immorality and the potential effectiveness, consequences (possibly negative), etc. of trying to outlaw it. And, of course, I think there are important distinctions to be made between merely tolerating some immorality legally, tolerating it as falling under the broader category of a legal right, and enshrining it specifically as a right (I'm not assuming you disagree here - just throwing these thoughts out here). I don't consider myself a libertarian because I'm not convinced the government should simply say "hands off!" on everything other than direct harm to or theft from another, or what have you - but I can see someone holding such a position because they think it is the best arrangement of government, think government involvement beyond that is dangerous, etc.

Last edited:
Reactions: rusmeister
Upvote 0
Oct 15, 2008
Central California
✟274,079.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Yes, I meant "political" and not philosophical. I was scoring papers on my break. Have mercy! LOL. I'm not at my most lucid when I'm having to read anything 11-year-olds write! ^_^:sorry:

Agree on all that you say here, too, btw.

I think you mean political system here, but yes.
We speak of "the Kingdom of Heaven". A "monarchy" with God as the Monarch is obviously what is intended. But not even really a human monarchy in the Fallen order.
Look at the OT.
God tries to set up the Israelites under Judges. But they won't have it. They want to copy the kingdoms and kings of this world.
Democracy can only work as long as the people acknowledge God. When that ceases, the democracy crumbles. And under individualism in our time, it is simply disastrous. All human efforts must fail like the Tower of Babel.

I oughtta clobber you!! ;)

Reactions: rusmeister
Upvote 0
Oct 15, 2008
Central California
✟274,079.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I absolutely adore Blade Runner. Not sure what political commentary I could associate with it though. Looks like the entire world is dystopian, disastrous, gloomy, melancholy, and depressing.

What's funny is the whole film, 1982 it was made, was trying to make it look like Japan took over America financially and commercially to the point that Los Angeles is like Tokyo the Sequel. If they wanted a more accurate dystopian future, there is no English, all Spanish and the Mexican drug cartels and far left liberal gun-grabbing idiots run the city while it burns! LOL

I'm a Giants fan. I hate the Dodgers. I'd kind of like to see L.A. end up like that which we see in Blade Runner! ROFL!

I really enjoy the film despite the fact I think Philip Dick is one WEIRD author. It was adapted from "Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep?" a novel by Dick. I think it was a spectacular film but it was made at a time of high energy and hugs. We had two Star Wars films, Indiana Jones, E.T. and all these feel-good huggly-wuggly movies. Here comes BR with Harrison Ford playing a replicant-hunting broken man who loses a little of himself with each kill, and who is a victim of a depressed and empty society. It just didn't fit the mood of its day, so it didn't do as well as it should have. I also think Blade Runner had a SUPER slow pace, which I'm 100% perfectly ok with, but the average American needs lots of sex, constant explosions, and a rapid pace. This film disappointed many.

I thought the soundtrack was utterly MIND-BLOWING! Vangelis was a master. I liked the "Blade Runner Blues" and the "retiring Zhora" scene was amazing. Every time I see that scene with the broken glass, the Vangelis keyboards in the background, Zhora struggling to stay alive and keep on her feet, the shots raining in, the look on Deccard's face after he kills her, it's pretty powerful.

It gave us great quotes like "wake up, TIME TO DIE!" and other gems. "It's too bad she won't live!......but then again.....who does?"

Classic.

It covered the moral and ethical implications of genetics and engineering/cloning type junk we're hearing about nowdays.

I enjoyed the whole "film noir" aspects of the flick. I love those old pulp P.I. gumshoe in the rain hunting down a lead type movies and shows.

I enjoyed how the film shows the "replicants" being more human than the humans. They had that test to look for "empathy" with the replicants and all these other things. The humans you see with Tyrell Corporation and on the streets, etc. are far more apathetic, cold, distant, and selfish than the replicants. And Roy at the end of the movie shows the ability to demonstrate mercy and save a life of an enemy, the hallmarks of humanity. Then we find out Deccard is a replicant, and he has regained his humanity. So what is more human? The replicant or the human?

The movie shows urban decay and an obsession with the daily grind and just eking out a living and how such mundane survival without a love of God and a philosophical foundation is ultimately futile.

I remember also someone noting how the use of EYES in Blade Runner is a constant running allegory. It's incredible if you read up on it. Been a while though.

Ok, you wanted my cheesy analysis of Blade Runner. Here is it for what LITTLE it's worth, Miles!

Love the film. 8.5 out of 10 stars on the Gurney Meter!

The movie explored what it means to be human, and

I'd love to see your commentary, political or otherwise, on Blade Runner ;)

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Jesus4Madrid

Orthodox Christian
Jul 21, 2011
✟90,072.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
Last edited:
Upvote 0

MilesVitae

Nov 12, 2012
✟9,880.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Ok, you wanted my cheesy analysis of Blade Runner. Here is it for what LITTLE it's worth, Miles!

Groovy, I enjoyed it =D

Love the film. 8.5 out of 10 stars on the Gurney Meter!

I figured as much - didn't you at one point have a picture of Deckard on your CF profile? It's been one of my favorites for years, but I've had it on my mind lately, as I recently got to see it on the big screen (a few of the local theaters play a selection of older movies each month). By the end, I walked away with an even greater appreciation for it than before (though, honestly, I think pretty much each time I've seen it I've grown in enjoyment of and respect for it). In part, the visuals were just so bloody awesome to see at that size, but I think that also drew me into the rest of the film that much more... What a great movie!
Oh, and the thing about eyes is really interesting...

Upvote 0
Oct 15, 2008
Central California
✟274,079.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Hanging in there, J4M! We adopted those two poor cats from the SPCA, and they're pretty skittish, but we'll steadily get them adjusted. Plus we have our puppy. He's a [bless and do not curse][bless and do not curse][bless and do not curse][bless and do not curse]zu-Pug-poodle mix, 18 weeks. And boy is that guy a character! It's mayhem around here! :eek::p...

I sure still miss my Barry though. What a joy that cat was. I was feeling pretty bad thinking about him being gone today. He was my buddy.

I really appreciate you thinking of us around here, brother!

Speaking of cats, how is the feline situation in the Gurney house?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums