Creationists: Is your Biblical interpretation correct?

Pete Harcoff

PeteAce - In memory of WinAce
Jun 30, 2002
✟9,874.00
Faith
Other Religion
Some questions for creationists: How do you know your Biblical interpretation is correct? How do you know that you are interpreting the Bible correctly in determining the age of the Earth? How do you know the creation story is meant to be taken literally and not figuratively (as opposed to other passages like Genesis 2:17, Job 38:8-9, Luke 2:1, etc)?

Achichem

Faithful
Aug 9, 2003
✟1,857.00
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Libertarian
The bible has proven its credibility as a literal fact book; it has proven that it had knowledge over the best thinker of the time when it was written. (The earth being round or the fact that it exists on a pole to name a couple)

However, I do believe that many Creationists often forget that one day for God is not one day for humanity and that it does not tell us the amount of time Adam was in the garden.

Also science has not in any way offer an alternative worth pursuing, being that much of its assumptions are very weak in logic. (Not trying to offend you if you believe in them, but to me its like what I?m sure the bible is to an atheist)

Elementary physics is the most founded science on earth and its principles match the exact order of operations that the bible follows. That makes me agree with it even more.

These are a few reasons off the top of my head,

C.B.B

Upvote 0

Serapha

Jun 29, 2003
✟6,704.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Pete Harcoff said:
Some questions for creationists: How do you know your Biblical interpretation is correct?

Because all the pieces of the puzzle fit perfectly.

Pete Harcoff said:
How do you know that you are interpreting the Bible correctly in determining the age of the Earth?

Well, I will concede on the possibility of compression of geneologies, which could indicate a time in excess of 6,000 years...but not much over 6,000

Pete Harcoff said:
How do you know the creation story is meant to be taken literally and not figuratively (as opposed to other passages like Genesis 2:17, Job 38:8-9, Luke 2:1, etc)?

Well, I take it literally because we are here... on a planet, eating plants and animals that are derived from that creation account. I am not eating figurative food, living in a figurative world, and having a conversation with a figerative person.... well maybe... this is a figerative conversation (smiles)

Are you real or figurative?

~malaka~

Upvote 0

Pete Harcoff

Jun 30, 2002
✟9,874.00
Faith
Other Religion
Malaka said:
Because all the pieces of the puzzle fit perfectly.

Such as...?

Well, I will concede on the possibility of compression of geneologies, which could indicate a time in excess of 6,000 years...but not much over 6,000

Why could it not have been "much over 6,000 [years]"?

Well, I take it literally because we are here... on a planet, eating plants and animals that are derived from that creation account. I am not eating figurative food, living in a figurative world, and having a conversation with a figerative person.... well maybe... this is a figerative conversation (smiles)

Are you real or figurative?

Judging by your non-sequitur, it doesn't sound like you have a reason.

Upvote 0

Serapha

Jun 29, 2003
✟6,704.00
Faith
Non-Denom
My friend,

I replied ot your posting on salt deposits elsewhere...

I feel you are sincerely seeking confrontation as a means of communication... and I am not interested..... Discussion is "okay"... but you aren't "discussing"... you are bulldozing.

Not interested today, thank you, I don't have time to "argue" every period, comma, and line of every textbook printed in science.

I stand by my statement that all of the pieces fit perfectly ACCORDING TO THE WORD OF GOD.

Your problem isn't with science, but with the Book God gave us.

Have a good day.

~malaka~

Upvote 0

Dayton

Aug 4, 2003
✟623.00
I take the Bible literally because it was written for literal people, in a literal world. Twisting Scripture to fit your preconcieved beliefs is not only incorrect, it is wrong.

The evidence for a 6,000 year old earth is there, it is just interpreted incorrectly by atheists/evolutionists.

P.S. I don't eat animals.

Upvote 0

Arikay

HI
Jan 23, 2003
Visit site
✟21,317.00
Faith
Taoist
So I assume that means that you believe the earth is flat?

If not you are ignoring or twisting scripture and that is wrong.

http://www.geocities.com/arikayx/flatearth.html

:)

Dayton said:
I take the Bible literally because it was written for literal people, in a literal world. Twisting Scripture to fit your preconcieved beliefs is not only incorrect, it is wrong.

The evidence for a 6,000 year old earth is there, it is just interpreted incorrectly by atheists/evolutionists.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

wblastyn

Jedi Master
Jun 5, 2002
Northern Ireland
Visit site
✟11,265.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
Dayton said:
I didn't have preconcieved beliefs, I used to be a creationist until I decided to stop hiding from the evidence for evolution. Also, I didn't twist, I just believe Genesis is not literal since it doesn't fit with God's creation.

Then why was the global flood and 6000 year old earth falsified by CHRISTIAN geologists?

So?

Upvote 0

Mechanical Bliss

Secrecy and accountability cannot co-exist.
Nov 3, 2002
A^2
Visit site
✟21,365.00
Faith
Atheist
Politics
US-Democrat
Dayton said:

Evolution does not equal atheism.

Either substantiate your claim or retract it. Repeating bare assertions does not make them true.

Geologic evidence falsifying YECism:

http://www.christianforums.com/t41209

Upvote 0

Achichem

Faithful
Aug 9, 2003
✟1,857.00
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Libertarian
Mechanical Bliss:
First thing I would say that even if I would concede that the flood was isolated to the area where the modern scientific proof of the flood was. What would be the word in an infant language for the area of all known things, the word that would be translated to English to be ?World? that?s what.

And there is now current defiant way to prove or disprove at the current level of geological science that the flood did of didn?t happen.

As to your second point, did you not read what I said?
People often forget that the bible teaches that a day for God is not the same as a day for humans, thus I do not believe nor do I think anyone should believe that the earth is 6,000 year old.

Not to Jet Black:

Thank you for the question?

Well let?s start with the creation of the universe. The theory of the Big Bang or any other theory I have read on the creation of something from nothing seem to me unfounded. This is because there is no way that something can come from nothing or that something
Can exist without first being nothing.

I was so confused on this topic in till I read my bible and apply it to a theory I was introduce to in my study of ancient culture.

It states that for every something there must be an equal nothing because something cannot come to exist innless it was first nothing. Then it states that because of this nothing is truly 100% something, it states that in order to exist, any something must flash in and out of what we call existence. However to flash, there must be a point where something equals nothing.

This theory seems far-fetched and probably is to most people, but it seems to me to be the only explanation that explains how it both follows the rules yet in a way breaks them.

Of course this is theory is not complete for there is still chaos, the only way to bring order, which we are in a state of. The Point that something equals nothing must then have a way to control its? awesome power of creation. I then realize that my bible offers the answer, for you see God tell us that he is the beginning and the end, the end is nothing and the beginning is something or the opposite depending on how you look at it, that then means that God both exists and does not, he is the point, he is the power of creation.

But I understand that may not be enough, its still to far-fetched

So lets look at evolution, which because of its existence many alternatives are based on.
Which of course the most obvious answer to is It doesn?t explain Inherent behavior or lack there of. And don?t somehow tell me it does cause it does not.for if you adapt the theory to include how inherent behavior is given, it then does not explain why it does not exist in some.

I did an experiment in making a program that used the principle of evolution to make another program. I completed it and it work.

It made a program, however the program never ran right, it accomplish nothing and crashed constantly. Knowing that it could have just been probability I ran a loop and it ran 5000 times. This took 7 months to do its course. At the end the checked the computer and found that 0 did any useful function,0 did the function they where designed, 0 did not have at least 1 crash in the first 5 seconds of use. I understand that this experiment didn?t have very many controls however enough to make conclusions. You see even despite the fact the program was design to prevent crashes one sub effected the other and all crashed. The point in time in which the program was compiled was random and had no effect on the outcome.
Then I added two functions to the main program the ability to give laws, and the ability to check up on the program, the same function we believe God to be doing. Then with my help all programs function, and most did their task or a different task and only 8/234 tested crashed. What does this prove, a simple fact that the probability vastly improves when there is a God, and that the probability needs to be improved!

I see no flaws in Gods creation plan (genesis) each step is logically place, each aspect explained. Then there is the theories based only on human knowledge and they offer nothing more then contradictions and a lot of far-fetched hope. If you would like me to explain further I have a hard time mainly because this is such a large topic, and I have a very hard time explaining myself. So please give me more specifics in rearguards to a theory that is a good alternative.

Upvote 0

Pete Harcoff

Jun 30, 2002
✟9,874.00
Faith
Other Religion
Dayton said:

Do you take Genesis 2:17, Luke 2:1 and Job 38:8 all literally?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
J

Jet Black

DaTsar said:
]
Not to Jet Black:

Thank you for the question?

Well let?s start with the creation of the universe. The theory of the Big Bang or any other theory I have read on the creation of something from nothing seem to me unfounded.

I did an experiment in making a program that used the principle of evolution to make another program. I completed it and it work.

It made a program, however the program never ran right, it accomplish nothing and crashed constantly.

I see no flaws in Gods creation plan (genesis) each step is logically place, each aspect explained. Then there is the theories based only on human knowledge and they offer nothing more then contradictions and a lot of far-fetched hope. If you would like me to explain further I have a hard time mainly because this is such a large topic, and I have a very hard time explaining myself. So please give me more specifics in rearguards to a theory that is a good alternative.

I prefer to stay away from the creation of the universe, as it is basically exposure of an area of physics that is not fully understood yet. It could indeed be that God is a creator and started everything because physics does not yet (and may never) have anything to say on this matter. trying to discuss thsi problem with a physicist is kind of pointless, as they (and hence I) will just admit that we don't know. However this does not negate the fact that there are very well understood things that do not at all fit the puzzle, when one tries to frame the puzzle in that of a 6000 year old universe, and those were the things I mentioned in my original post, like salt, fossils and the Cosmic Microwave Background. these are artefacts that have no explanation other than trickery, if one says the universe is 6000 ears old.

about your program, what was the algorithm in the evolutionary process? what was the process that selected one program over another? evolutionary programs have produced devices with designs ranging from voice detectors to radios, so evolution clearly does work in this capacity, and I cannot comment on your program without knowing a little more about it's function.

remember that creationism is also just a theory based on someone's interpretation of the bible, and the assumption that they know the mind of God better than anyone else. and what do you mean by other theories offering nothing but contradiction and far fetched hope?

Upvote 0

Pete Harcoff

Jun 30, 2002
✟9,874.00
Faith
Other Religion
DaTsar said:
I literally believe both Genesis 2:17, Luke 2:1 and don't see how anyone else couldn't understand them that way.please explain

A "plain reading" of Genesis 2:17 indicates that Adam would die the day he ate the fruit from the tree. But he didn't.

A "plain reading" of Luke 2:1 indicates that "all the world" was taxed by the Romans. Does this include the natives in North & South America? How about the Australian aboriginals? Etc.

Job 38:8 the translation pretty hard and i can't seem to pick up context,sorry

A "plain reading" of text indicates that the sea has doors. Does the sea have doors?

Upvote 0

Arikay

HI
Jan 23, 2003
Visit site
✟21,317.00
Faith
Taoist
Yeah the bible doesnt "say" that, however people have used other verses and walked back to get a time of around 6000 years.

Bishop Ussher was the first (or the most famous, not sure), to do this, and he put creation at 4004 B.C.

An interesting aspect to that is that the bible more dirrectly and literally says the earth is flat, than the earth is 6000 years old.

Upvote 0

Achichem

Faithful
Aug 9, 2003
✟1,857.00
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Libertarian
Literal:
1.Being in accordance with, conforming to, or upholding the exact or primary meaning of a word or words.
2.Word for word; verbatim: a literal translation.
3.Avoiding exaggeration, metaphor, or embellishment; factual; prosaic: a literal description; a literal mind.
4.Consisting of, using, or expressed by letters: literal notation.
5.Conforming or limited to the simplest, nonfigurative, or most obvious meaning of a word or words.

Literal means still have to take into account context and synonyms available at the time of print.

Genesis:
Day in the time of the beginning was in God time not human time. And Adam did die because he ate the apple and conceivably within one of God?s days.

Luke:
The entire world in those days was the Roman Empire, Context.

Job:
Does prove you point but it doesn?t sound like God speaking through Job, but Job explaining a point that God knows he can do on his own.

Upvote 0