Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Legal Union (Other)
a detail from this story may help

W.Va. school system and parent settle FFRF case over egregious bible classes

The school system had defended the curriculum by claiming the lessons taught history and literature. However, much of the program was fundamentalist Christian instruction. For example, a lesson on Adam and Eve featured the pair with a dinosaur in the background. It asked students: “So picture Adam being able to crawl up on the back of a dinosaur! He and Eve could have their own personal water slide! Wouldn’t that be so wild!”

---

That 'teaching' script [the "It asked students" link] is wild. If we set aside the dinosaur slides and the other things they are trying to 'teach', it's also interesting to see what they won't talk about:

NOTE TO TEACHERS: If a student questions how long the [Genesis] days were, say: “Normally when we use the word day we usually mean 24 hours, but often the word day is also used to mean a period of time, such as, ‘Back in the day of my great grandparents...’ Since there are different ideas about what this word ‘day’ means in the Bible, this is one of the things we cannot discuss in Bible class.”

Haha, there are no different ideas about whether Adam and Eve hung out with dinosaurs, but here there are differences of opinion and we can't talk about it.

Upvote 0

RileyG

Veteran
Angels Team
Feb 10, 2013
Nebraska
✟243,010.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Celibate
Politics
US-Republican
Well I'm an Old Earth Creationist and follow Hugh Ross point of view on the basic topic. He believes they lived way before the age of man, and God used them to intelligently Design the World for the later appearance of man, basically God knew about us wanting to make lots of vehicles and power plants that run on fossil fuels and was happy to provide us with lots of oil and coal made from former dead animals and plants.
Fascinating. I never theologically understood why dinosaurs existed. I thought it was out of God's abundant creativity. Great response!

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Warden_of_the_Storm

Oct 16, 2015
Wales
✟350,793.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Deist
Marital Status
Single
I believe they are the dragons, satyrs, behemoths, and leviathans mentioned in the Scriptures.

Some type of serpent-beast talked to Eve in the Garden -- probably a dragon.

serpent-in-garden-of-eden-before-the-fall.jpg

That... that is a weird animal.

Though it did remind of something I saw about Biblical scholars discussing Satan and the serpent in Eden and one of them ending up yelling "Satan did not hop around like a pogo stick!"

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Tom 1

Optimistic sceptic
Site Supporter
Nov 13, 2017
Tarnaveni
✟818,769.00
Country
Romania
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Ye= you. I stand corrected on my old English.
Are you open to correction about the " flood"?
Correct away, although presumably you'd want to know what I think about it first. A general correction of what you think people believe about it would be ok though and would save some typing time on my part.

Nb. Middle English.

• Haha
Reactions: 2PhiloVoid
Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.