Creationism Is Testable

Notedstrangeperson

Jul 3, 2008
✟12,024.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
In Relationship
Creationism - particularly Intelligent Design - relies on an assumption: something so incredibly complicated and / or unlikely must be the result of a creator. It's an assumtpion for two reasons:

1. It's so difficult for our minds to figure out an even greater mind must have created it.
2. Anything which appeared happen suddenly, rather than gradually, must be proof of design.

What's so say that a process or an occurence which we now find inexplicable will not be easily explained in the future? And if an event did happen suddenly, this does not mean evolution was not behind it (Stephen Gould called this "punctuated equilibrium" or "evolution by jerks").

The design hypothesis seems to use God as an excuse as to what we can't explain - as though (as certain atheists and Christians both insist) somehow understanding how nature works disproves his existance. To me this is like trying to prove Alexander Graham Bell did not exist by dismantling a phone.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

AV1611VET

SCIENCE CAN TAKE A HIKE
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2006
Guam
✟4,908,800.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Upvote 0

Agonaces of Susa

Evolution is not science: legalize creationism.
Nov 18, 2009
San Diego
Visit site
✟11,653.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Constitution
Creationism - particularly Intelligent Design - relies on an assumption
All sciences rely on assumptions.

"... the basic premisses of demonstrations are definitions, and it has already been shown that these will be found indemonstrable; either the basic premisses will be demonstrable and will depend on prior premisses, and the regress will be endless; or the primary truths will be indemonstrable definitions. " -- Aristotle, philosopher, Posterior Analytics, Book II, 350 B.C.

"... there will be no scientific knowledge of the primary premisses...." -- Aristotle, philosopher, Posterior Analytics, Book II, 350 B.C.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

AV1611VET

SCIENCE CAN TAKE A HIKE
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2006
Guam
✟4,908,800.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Translation: "My interpretation of the bible says it, that settles it for me and other Fundies like me -- reality can take a hike."
Whose interpretation, specifically, should I follow?

Upvote 0

mzungu

INVICTUS
Dec 17, 2010
Earth!
✟24,975.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Why must you follow at all? I believe that you have reason and reason alone will guide you! Of what consequence does following have when we lack reason?

It really does not matter what one believes in but how one conducts himself. I am sure that many a decent and good people do not agree between themselves but they still conduct themselves in a manner that is beneficial to society and to their well being in general.

I am an atheist yet I respect your right to worship your God and will be the first to support you should your right be infringed upon!

After all, we live in societies and not as hermits! :wave:

Upvote 0

AV1611VET

SCIENCE CAN TAKE A HIKE
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2006
Guam
✟4,908,800.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Why must you follow at all? I believe that you have reason and reason alone will guide you! Of what consequence does following have when we lack reason?

It really does not matter what one believes in but how one conducts himself. I am sure that many a decent and good people do not agree between themselves but they still conduct themselves in a manner that is beneficial to society and to their well being in general.

I am an atheist yet I respect your right to worship your God and will be the first to support you should your right be infringed upon!

After all, we live in societies and not as hermits! :wave:
Thank you.

This is one of the reasons I'm an independent Baptist.

I also consider myself somewhat of a freethinker, but only as a third option; behind what the Bible says, then what basic doctrine.

(Of course, you can see what freethinking gets you here.)

Upvote 0

Split Rock

Conflation of Blathers
Nov 3, 2003
North Dakota
✟22,466.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single

My personal recommendation is to follow an interpretation that makes sense and takes into account the context of who wrote the books of the bible, when, where, and for whom. That's my recommendation (which I am giving because you asked for it), but you can do whatever you like. This has nothing to do with being clear about the statements you and others here make about what "the Bible tells us."

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

AV1611VET

SCIENCE CAN TAKE A HIKE
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2006
Guam
✟4,908,800.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
My personal recommendation is to follow an interpretation that makes sense and takes into account the context of who wrote the books of the bible, when, where, and for whom.
I'm asking for a specific name -- otherwise, your rants against 'my interpretation' can take a long hike.

Any day you think you can improve on 'my interpretations' without 1) speaking in tongues, and 2) appealing to metaphor if it's literal, or literal if it's metaphor, I'll be glad to listen.

(And do feel free to give me a specific name of someone who 'makes sense and takes into account the context of who wrote the books of the bible'.)

Upvote 0

Tomatoman

Feb 3, 2010
✟1,829.00
Faith
Anglican
I also consider myself somewhat of a freethinker, but only as a third option; behind what the Bible says, then what basic doctrine.

That's the damnedest definition of free thinking I've ever seen.

(Of course, you can see what freethinking gets you here.)

I think you are confusing freethinking with spouting tripe.

Upvote 0

Tomatoman

Feb 3, 2010
✟1,829.00
Faith
Anglican
I leave that up to you guys.

If only you hadn't said this: "I also consider myself somewhat of a freethinker, but only as a third option; behind what the Bible says, then what basic doctrine." It rather makes a nonsense of anything else you have to say.

Upvote 0

AV1611VET

SCIENCE CAN TAKE A HIKE
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2006
Guam
✟4,908,800.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
If only you hadn't said this: "I also consider myself somewhat of a freethinker, but only as a third option; behind what the Bible says, then what basic doctrine." It rather makes a nonsense of anything else you have to say.
That's 'saying nonsense' to you?

Here's the order: Bible ... basic doctrine ... freethinking (suppositions).

If that's 'nonsense' to you, please feel free to place them in the correct order.

If you can't, I'll take your assessment with a grain of salt.

Upvote 0