Miami, FL
✟25,650.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Libertarian
Could we have the link to the staff forum discussion where he decided this?
There is no link. It was discussed via PM.

I can't say I really got involved in the discussion whether to give LDS/JW Congregational forums on either side, but to give them Congregational Forums and then take them away seems particularly cruel to me.
Those forums were never opened and was made clear from the beginning that they were in question.

I gotta say - the way this was done - this is bad form. VERY bad form. ESPECIALLY since you KNEW the wiki existed and that it was LOCKED. Now we know why it was locked. VERY bad form.
I had nothing to do with locking the discussion on that Wiki.

Upvote 0

drstevej

"The crowd always chooses Barabbas."
In Memory Of
Mar 18, 2003
Lousianna
✟1,001,611.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
There is no link. It was discussed via PM.

Please Ask Erwin to post the PMs discussing this. It seems PMs are a way to say staff discussions are open yet have hidden caucus rooms.

Reactions: joyshirley
Upvote 0

drstevej

In Memory Of
Mar 18, 2003
Lousianna
✟1,001,611.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
And if they did he has completely gone back on what he said the reforms would bring.

Apex, he said there would be no non-Christian moderators as long as he was webmaster. Later he said he changed his mind.

PS I know a forum where some really sweet LDS ladies post and fellowship. Maybe that's an alternative. Tell them Sally Mae and Frannie sent you.

Upvote 0

drstevej

In Memory Of
Mar 18, 2003
Lousianna
✟1,001,611.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Fingers%20Crossed%202.JPG

Upvote 0

Joykins

free Crazy Liz!
Jul 14, 2005
Down in Mary's Land
✟29,390.00
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
IMO JW and LDS have beliefs that are not within what I personally think of as orthodox Christianity, but you don't tell these people you consider them Christian and make Congregational forums for these people and just snatch it all away, that's just as wrong.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Gwenyfur

Legend
Dec 18, 2004
Everywhere
✟66,698.00
Faith
Pagan
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Constitution
IMO JW and LDS have beliefs that are not within what I personally think of as orthodox Christianity, but you don't tell these people you consider them Christian and make Congregational forums for these people and just snatch it all away, that's just as wrong.
agreed...

Upvote 0

drstevej

In Memory Of
Mar 18, 2003
Lousianna
✟1,001,611.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Erwin's aware of this thread.

Good. Perhaps he will explain. I agree with the decision but also agree that this is really confusing at best.

Upvote 0

Letalis

Jun 7, 2004
Miami, FL
✟25,650.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Libertarian
I'm gonna pretend like I did not see this and go back to the wiki.
Unless I'm told otherwise, this is what we're going forward with.

This is new for me as well.

At the moment, it's unclear and confusing how this all works. Mistakes are made and things are rethought.

Upvote 0

Joykins

free Crazy Liz!
Jul 14, 2005
Down in Mary's Land
✟29,390.00
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
At the moment, it's unclear and confusing how this all works. Mistakes are made and things are rethought.

Maybe things should have been thought through *before* implementing them!

Here's some feminine advice: don't lead a guy on if you don't intend to sleep with him. Feel free to extend the metaphor.

Upvote 0

Letalis

Jun 7, 2004
Miami, FL
✟25,650.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Libertarian
Maybe things should have been thought through *before* implementing them!
I'm sorry, but I don't think you're in a position to see what went into this and what hasn't.

The previous arrangement was accepted. I went forward with the forum organization that you, the members, came up with. This was approved by Erwin.

It was later brought up by several members and staff that had concerns about congregations for unorthodox members, and a new setup had to be enacted.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

drstevej

In Memory Of
Mar 18, 2003
Lousianna
✟1,001,611.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
I'm sorry, but I don't think you're in a position to see what went into this and what hasn't.

If you used staff fora rather than PM we would see.

Upvote 0

Joykins

free Crazy Liz!
Jul 14, 2005
Down in Mary's Land
✟29,390.00
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat

The previous arrangement was accepted. I went forward with the forum organization that you, the members, came up with. This was approved by Erwin.

It was later brought up by several members and staff that had concerns about congregations for unorthodox members, and a new setup had to be enacted.

So in other words the forums were created before a consensus was reached?

There should be no RUSH to consensus. It's OK to wait for a longish time rather than do something that needs to be undone later, not to mention getting people's hopes up and all that--very cruel.

I am also concerned that private communications were used to undermine the public consensus process that we were supposed to be using.

It's Erwin's site--and he has every right to do what he wants with it. But if he's got some ground rules that CAN'T be negotiated, it's really quite unfair to tell people that it CAN, KWIM?

Reactions: Crazy Liz
Upvote 0

Erwin

May 13, 2015
✟216,037.00
The idea was to come up with a solution that would be acceptable to both the conservative Christians and members of these non-mainstream churches. It does not look like this is going to be possible.

I'm happy to hear any alternative suggestions or arrangements. If none can be achieved, then we will just not have these subforums.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.