Kentucky
✟146,863.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Almost all of them. Where the majority of the objection lies is that along with increasing taxes on the wealthy, democrats would cut spending in military/defense and payouts to large corporations like big oil.

That wouldn't even put a dent in the debt. It's all just talk. Not to mention cutting the military would leave us vulnerable.

Upvote 0

FenderTL5

Κύριε, ἐλέησον.
Site Supporter
Jun 13, 2016
Nashville TN
✟634,456.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-American-Solidarity
That wouldn't even put a dent in the debt. It's all just talk.
Maybe so.
The GOP has proven, demonstrated in their action that they will do the opposite. Again, Obama lowered deficits, which was a step in the right direction. Bill Clinton actually had a budget surplus. Both democrats.
Not to mention cutting the military would leave us vulnerable.
Of the top ten nations in military spending the US is number 1. It's not close. The USA spends more then the next nine nations combined and some of those nations are supposed to be our allies (w/Trump it's kinda' hard to tell at times).
There's room for adjustment/negotiation there.

Reactions: Arc F1
Upvote 0

Aryeh Jay

Gone and hopefully forgotten.
Site Supporter
Jul 19, 2012
MI - Michigan
✟520,644.00
Country
United States
Faith
Judaism
Marital Status
Married
Maybe so.
The GOP has proven, demonstrated in their action that they will do the opposite. Again, Obama lowered deficits, which was a step in the right direction. Bill Clinton actually had a budget surplus. Both democrats.

Two words cancel these supposed achievements. Kenya & Monica.

TRUMP 2020! CSA! CSA! CSA!

• Winner
Reactions: FenderTL5
Upvote 0

Arc F1

Let the righteous man arise from slumber
Site Supporter
Mar 14, 2020
Kentucky
✟146,863.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Maybe so.

Of the top ten nations in military spending the US is number 1. It's not close. The USA spends more then the next nine nations combined and some of those nations are supposed to be our allies (w/Trump it's kinda' hard to tell at times).
There's room for adjustment/negotiation there.

I agree that the Republicans aren't doing a good job with spending but I also know that not one democrat is going to go after the rich or make major cuts to spending. We are so far in debt that nothing short of cutting almost all federal programs will be necessary to get us back on track. Things are way worse than the media let's on.

Upvote 0

FenderTL5

Κύριε, ἐλέησον.
Site Supporter
Jun 13, 2016
Nashville TN
✟634,456.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-American-Solidarity
I agree that the Republicans aren't doing a good job with spending but I also know that not one democrat is going to go after the rich or make major cuts to spending. We are so far in debt that nothing short of cutting almost all federal programs will be necessary to get us back on track. Things are way worse than the media let's on.
So???? you support those that'll just blow the whole wad and cut taxes and spend more, throwing all reason to the wind?
I don't follow that logic at all.

Democrats have carried the label "tax and spend" in the pejorative for a while.
using analogy/simile: that's like the person who gets a pay raise and immediately goes out and spends it, perhaps on a new car. The GOP is like the one who takes a lower paying job and still goes out and buys the new car. There's fiscally irresponsible and there's brain-dead stupid, the GOP behave like the latter.

Upvote 0

Arc F1

Site Supporter
Mar 14, 2020
Kentucky
✟146,863.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
So???? you support those that'll just blow the whole wad and cut taxes and spend more, throwing all reason to the wind?
I don't follow that logic at all.

Democrats have carried the label "tax and spend" in the pejorative for a while.
using analogy/simile: that's like the person who gets a pay raise and immediately goes out and spends it, perhaps on a new car. The GOP is like the one who takes a lower paying job and still goes out and buys the new car. There's fiscally irresponsible and there's brain-dead stupid, the GOP behave like the latter.

If both parties are putting us farther in debt I fail to see how they are different. The outcome is the same with both. Nobody is calling for balancing the budget. Nobody.

Upvote 0

Aryeh Jay

Site Supporter
Jul 19, 2012
MI - Michigan
✟520,644.00
Country
United States
Faith
Judaism
Marital Status
Married
If both parties are putting us farther in debt I fail to see how they are different. The outcome is the same with both. Nobody is calling for balancing the budget. Nobody.

Gary Johnson did in 2016, but people wanted their rock star.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Belk

Site Supporter
Dec 21, 2005
Seattle
✟908,465.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Married
Looks good but I was talking about politicians that I could vote for.

As we both already acknowledged the politicians are not currently calling for this. In order to get them to the position where they are we will need some advocacy.

Reactions: Arc F1
Upvote 0

Arc F1

Site Supporter
Mar 14, 2020
Kentucky
✟146,863.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
As we both already acknowledged the politicians are not currently calling for this. In order to get them to the position where they are we will need some advocacy.

I bookmarked it for later. Thanks.

Reactions: Belk
Upvote 0

FenderTL5

Κύριε, ἐλέησον.
Site Supporter
Jun 13, 2016
Nashville TN
✟634,456.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-American-Solidarity
Do you know the difference between debt and deficit? Do you know how the deficit relates to balancing a budget?

The reason neither major party is calling for balancing the budget right now (Bill Clinton called for it and accomplished it) is because the deficits are so high that the cuts/tax increases to balance would be devastating with the fragile economy. Obama lowered the deficits, that's step 1. Now Trump has increased deficits again. I presume Trump's philosophy is akin to the way he ran business... spend, spend, spend until he's completely out of money then declare bankruptcy. He's done that six times.

Upvote 0

Arc F1

Site Supporter
Mar 14, 2020
Kentucky
✟146,863.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Do you know the difference between debt and deficit? Do you know how the deficit relates to balancing a budget?

The reason neither major party is calling for balancing the budget right now (Bill Clinton called for it and accomplished it) is because the deficits are so high that the cuts/tax increases to balance would be devastating with the fragile economy. Obama lowered the deficits, that's step 1. Now Trump has increased deficits again. I presume Trump's philosophy is akin to the way he ran business... spend, spend, spend until he's completely out of money then declare bankruptcy. He's done that six times.

I know right. How dare he spend spend spend while the dems were against it. To hear you tell it the dems have been against every single dime of spending. You keep bringing up Obama yet he didn't do a thing to help small business during the recession. He was just like all the rest saying how good the economy was and how unemployment was going down. I watched millions drop of the roles and towns devastated all the while he was sitting back doing nothing.

Upvote 0

loveofourlord

Feb 15, 2014
✟270,357.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Are you sure it's only republicans that are doing that?

There is a difference in giving pittance to those who need it vs billions of dollars in tax cuts those that don't need it. Funny how republicans love to cut billions from poor, then give more then that to the rich and complain about the defecit.

• Agree
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

loveofourlord

Feb 15, 2014
✟270,357.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
I'm always amazed at comments like that. To my knowledge there is no cure. Are you saying they had a cure and were shut down?

No, the thing your talking about was the program designed to STOP things like covid from getting out of hand and instead of being it's own entity he combined it with other stuff, and we wonder why the us is doing so horribly.

Upvote 0

Arc F1

Site Supporter
Mar 14, 2020
Kentucky
✟146,863.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
There is a difference in giving pittance to those who need it vs billions of dollars in tax cuts those that don't need it. Funny how republicans love to cut billions from poor, then give more then that to the rich and complain about the defecit.

Nancy's husband profited and I'm sure if I look it up several others did too. The dems agreed with the spending as did the republicans.

Upvote 0

Arc F1

Site Supporter
Mar 14, 2020
Kentucky
✟146,863.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
No, the thing your talking about was the program designed to STOP things like covid from getting out of hand and instead of being it's own entity he combined it with other stuff, and we wonder why the us is doing so horribly.

We could stop doing business with China. That would have stopped it.

Upvote 0

FenderTL5

Κύριε, ἐλέησον.
Site Supporter
Jun 13, 2016
Nashville TN
✟634,456.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-American-Solidarity
How dare he spend spend spend while the dems were against it.
The vote on Trump's tax cut bill was
House
Republicans 227 for, 13 against
Democrats 0 for, 192 against, 2 did not vote abstained/absent

Senate
Republicans 51 for, 1 against
Democrats 0 for, 46 against
Independents 0 for, 2 against

To hear you tell it the dems have been against every single dime of spending.
maybe you can go back and read post #86 again, pay attention to the second paragraph.

Republicans used to claim to be fiscally conservative. They're not, at least not anymore. Not since Reagan. They give lip-service to being socially conservative and may/may not be depending on circumstances.
The democrats are socially liberal but are far more fiscally conservative than the GOP has been since Reagan (and that's not saying much).
For the record, I don't like either major party. I haven't voted for a major party presidential candidate in 20 years. I last (mistakenly) voted republican when I did.
I'm done.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Aryeh Jay

Site Supporter
Jul 19, 2012
MI - Michigan
✟520,644.00
Country
United States
Faith
Judaism
Marital Status
Married
Republicans used to claim to be fiscally conservative. They're not, at least not anymore. Not since Reagan.

You have to go further back than that. Reagan massively (for the time) increased the dept and raised taxes. Hank Williams even wrote about it (the tax increase).

Upvote 0