Aug 18, 2012
✟1,422,729.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
The Democrats in the House passed their bill back in May, fully two months ago. As of today, the GOP in the Senate has yet to propose a plan. Meanwhile, Federal unemployment benefits expire this week.

Now I think changes are needed to the Fed's unemployment benefits. A needs-based formula would be more appropriate than a $600 a week across the board (GOP proposed 70% of an employees wage for example). However, implementing such a formula across 50 states's unemployment programs would take several weeks. That opportunity is long gone since the GOP has apparently done nothing to advance a bill since May.

Mnuchin optimistic as GOP set to introduce Senate coronavirus stimulus bill Monday

Running2win

Jul 20, 2020
St. Louis
✟25,393.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
The Democrats in the House passed their bill back in May, fully two months ago. As of today, the GOP in the Senate has yet to propose a plan. Meanwhile, Federal unemployment benefits expire this week.

Now I think changes are needed to the Fed's unemployment benefits. A needs-based formula would be more appropriate than a $600 a week across the board (GOP proposed 70% of an employees wage for example). However, implementing such a formula across 50 states's unemployment programs would take several weeks. That opportunity is long gone since the GOP has apparently done nothing to advance a bill since May.

Mnuchin optimistic as GOP set to introduce Senate coronavirus stimulus bill Monday

Come work at Wal-Mart with me! :) They are hiring all the time. Amazon too.

• Winner
Reactions: Aryeh Jay
Upvote 0

FenderTL5

Κύριε, ἐλέησον.
Site Supporter
Jun 13, 2016
Nashville TN
✟634,153.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-American-Solidarity
A needs-based formula would be more appropriate than a $600 a week across the board (GOP proposed 70% of an employees wage for example).
Now, they need to make sure that landlords, mortgage holders and grocery are satisfied with 70% of payment.

Upvote 0

iluvatar5150

Aug 3, 2012
Baltimore
✟556,743.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat

It's pretty ridiculous that unemployment insurance systems aren't centralized and scaleable. Why isn't there just some cloud-hosted system that can spool up new instances as needed, and apply different rules based on the state in which the applicant resides? If you need more phone operators, hire a call center.

Upvote 0

wing2000

E pluribus unum
Site Supporter
Aug 18, 2012
✟1,422,729.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
It's pretty ridiculous that unemployment insurance systems aren't centralized and scaleable. Why isn't there just some cloud-hosted system that can spool up new instances as needed, and apply different rules based on the state in which the applicant resides? If you need more phone operators, hire a call center.

...from what I have heard, many of our government's (all levels) systems are in the pre-cloud era. Decades of lack of investment in IT systems becomes very apparent when changes need to be done quickly.

• Agree
Reactions: cow451
Upvote 0

Aryeh Jay

Gone and hopefully forgotten.
Site Supporter
Jul 19, 2012
MI - Michigan
✟498,114.00
Country
United States
Faith
Judaism
Marital Status
Married
Come work at Wal-Mart with me! :) They are hiring all the time. Amazon too.

Tell me about it, and all the overtime you can get, and no points for calling in.

Reactions: Running2win
Upvote 0

Aryeh Jay

Gone and hopefully forgotten.
Site Supporter
Jul 19, 2012
MI - Michigan
✟498,114.00
Country
United States
Faith
Judaism
Marital Status
Married
There is one thing I can’t seem to understand. The Republicans have no problem paying people essentially $15 an hour to sit at home and not work for months (on top of whatever the State pays) but won’t raise the minimum wage to something close to $15 an hour to work. What sort of brain eating amoeba has infected the GOP?

Upvote 0

Arc F1

Let the righteous man arise from slumber
Site Supporter
Mar 14, 2020
Kentucky
✟146,863.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

It all comes down to paying for it. Do you wish to pay 50 percent taxes on your income going forward? As a country we are beyond broke.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Belk

Site Supporter
Dec 21, 2005
Seattle
✟904,976.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Married
It all comes down to paying for it. Do you wish to pay 50 percent taxes on your income going forward? As a country we are beyond broke.

By what accounting method? By every metric of which I am aware we are the richest nation the world has ever seen.

Upvote 0

Arc F1

Site Supporter
Mar 14, 2020
Kentucky
✟146,863.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
There is one thing I can’t seem to understand. The Republicans have no problem paying people essentially $15 an hour to sit at home and not work for months (on top of whatever the State pays) but won’t raise the minimum wage to something close to $15 an hour to work. What sort of brain eating amoeba has infected the GOP?

If people actually cared about a living wage we wouldn't be buying Chinese. We would be taking care of our own.

• Winner
Reactions: Aryeh Jay
Upvote 0

Arc F1

Site Supporter
Mar 14, 2020
Kentucky
✟146,863.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
By what accounting method? By every metric of which I am aware we are the richest nation the world has ever seen.
Debt and deficit. We are broke. Our government is going to have to start making cuts.

Upvote 0

Running2win

Jul 20, 2020
St. Louis
✟25,393.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married

It's called election year politics. :)

Upvote 0

wing2000

E pluribus unum
Site Supporter
Aug 18, 2012
✟1,422,729.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
...latest update - GOP expected to announce later today....

Senate Republicans want to reduce the $600 payment to $200 until states can implement a new approach that would pay workers 70 percent of the income they collected before they lost their jobs. The states are supposed to phase in the new formula within two months under the new GOP plan, though it’s unclear how cumbersome that process could prove to be.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/us-policy/2020/07/27/senate-stimulus-coronavirus/

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

cow451

Standing with Ukraine.
Site Supporter
May 29, 2012
Hot and Humid
✟1,120,276.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Make Amoeba Great Again.

Upvote 0

Running2win

Jul 20, 2020
St. Louis
✟25,393.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Debt and deficit. We are broke. Our government is going to have to start making cuts.
That will be the day! They will just print more money and now each person will be strapped with about a GaZillion dollars more of debt. The house of cards will fall one day, and oh what a fall it will be! But:

1“Do not let your heart be troubled; believe in God, believe also in Me. 2“In My Father’s house are many dwelling places; if it were not so, I would have told you; for I go to prepare a place for you. 3“If I go and prepare a place for you, I will come again and receive you to Myself, that where I am, there you may be also. :oldthumbsup:

Reactions: Arc F1
Upvote 0

cow451

Standing with Ukraine.
Site Supporter
May 29, 2012
Hot and Humid
✟1,120,276.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Trump already gave the wealthy a big tax cut......:tutu:

Upvote 0

iluvatar5150

Aug 3, 2012
Baltimore
✟556,743.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat

We aren't anywhere close to broke and upgrading our national unemployment insurance system to something like that would cost chump change relative to a ton of other stuff we do that nobody bats an eye at. In the long run, it would probably save money since we'd be able to remove a bunch of administrative redundancy (e.g. we why do we need 50 agencies that do the same thing).

Last edited:
Upvote 0

cow451

Standing with Ukraine.
Site Supporter
May 29, 2012
Hot and Humid
✟1,120,276.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
...latest update - GOP expected to announce later today....

Senate Republicans want to reduce the $600 payment to $200 until states can implement a new approach that would pay workers 70 percent of the income they collected before they lost their jobs. The states are supposed to phase in the new formula within two months under the new GOP plan, though it’s unclear how cumbersome that process could prove to be.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/us-policy/2020/07/27/senate-stimulus-coronavirus/
Most states' IT Departments still use transistors. Two months is a bit optimistic. Two years and a chunk of money might be enough.

Upvote 0