Could the first female cardinal be Irish..?

S.ilvio

Jul 16, 2011
Dublin
✟342,636.00
Country
Ireland
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
Last edited:

Dylan Michael

Senior Veteran
Jul 15, 2010
Central Florida
✟22,692.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
Anything could happen I suppose but I'm of the believe it when you see it crowd. Not the speculation crowd.

Yeah, I'm not holding my breath.

The El País article was based on a lot of speculation and misinformation.

Upvote 0

ebia

Senior Contributor
Jul 6, 2004
A very long way away. Sometimes even further.
✟54,775.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Politics
AU-Greens
Michie said:
Just so you know Tigg, your perception is the norm.
Indeed. But not an absolute rule.

It's been a long time since there have been any genuinely lay cardinals, and there have been very few in recent years who haven't been bishops, but it's by no means impossible for such to be appointed and a pope is less keen on clericalism might just go for it.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Michie

Site Supporter
Feb 5, 2002
Woods
✟4,725,909.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Indeed. But not an absolute rule.

It's been a long time since there have been any genuinely lay cardinals, and there have been very few in recent years who haven't been bishops, but it's by no means impossible for such to be appointed and a pope is less keen on clericalism might just go for it.
We'll just have to wait & see. But as Dylan said, I'm not holding or wasting my breath on this one.

Upvote 0

ebia

Senior Contributor
Jul 6, 2004
✟54,775.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Politics
AU-Greens
Michie said:
We'll just have to wait & see. But as Dylan said, I'm not holding or wasting my breath on this one.
I don't necessarily think he will. I think the article in The Tablet a few weeks ago arguing that female ordination in the CofE works more to intrench clericalism made some good points. Francis may be looking to move power away from the established structures more than to move power towards them, and may therefore be looking for much more imaginative ways of empowering women than looking for loopholes in the existing structure in which a few token theologians can be inserted.

Upvote 0

Michie

Site Supporter
Feb 5, 2002
Woods
✟4,725,909.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I don't necessarily think he will. I think the article in The Tablet a few weeks ago arguing that female ordination in the CofE works more to intrench clericalism made some good points. Francis may be looking to move power away from the established structures more than to move power towards them, and may therefore be looking for much more imaginative ways of empowering women than looking for loopholes in the existing structure in which a few token theologians can be inserted.
Whatever entertains you ebia. I'm going to wait & see & not speculate. It's just rumors. Give me something more substantial & it might be worth investing time discussing.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

ebia

Senior Contributor
Jul 6, 2004
✟54,775.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Politics
AU-Greens
AvilaSurfer said:
Doubtful.
What's doubtful? That a good number of ecclesiologists think it possible for a cardinal female to be appointed is fact. And why didn't you answer the question?

There's nothing dogmatic about the college of cardinals. It's possible in principle (if extraordinarily unlikely) that the whole thing could be abolished and replaced with something entirely different. Or reformed in any number of other ways.

Upvote 0

Wolseley

Beaucoup-Diên-Cai-Dāu
Feb 5, 2002
By the shores of Gitchee-Goomee
✟278,899.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Says who? A good number of ecclesiologist disagree.

Which means diddly-squat. The Church is neither a democracy nor governed by majority opinion. It's based on revealed truth, meaning Holy Scripture and Apostolic Tradition, as interpreted by the Sacred Magisterium.

<edit>

Last edited by a moderator:
Upvote 0