Could someone explain me evolution & Big Bang?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Etheri

Fellow Atheist
Aug 17, 2013
✟8,399.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
After seeing flaws in Christianity itself I'm slowly leaving it, but I'm not really going into atheism...Darwin was an Agnostic, same for Einstein. That's why I changed my icon to "Seeker". I don't know what to believe anymore. I don't know much about evolution and the explosion, so if someone could explain it to me in a simple way.

And if someone could explain these:

1. How can nothing create the universe.
2. Since the magnetosphere of the Earth is very young, how could there even be advanced life, because the magnetosphere protects us from solar radiation?
3. The missing links?

And the evidence for your claims. Thank you.

juvenissun

... and God saw that it was good.
Apr 5, 2007
Chicago
✟121,700.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
After seeing flaws in Christianity itself I'm slowly leaving it, but I'm not really going into atheism...Darwin was an Agnostic, same for Einstein. That's why I changed my icon to "Seeker". I don't know what to believe anymore. I don't know much about evolution and the explosion, so if someone could explain it to me in a simple way.

2. Since the magnetosphere of the Earth is very young, how could there even be advanced life, because the magnetosphere protects us from solar radiation?
3. The missing links?

1. It is not really "nothing", but is "everything". That is what BB is.
2. The earth's magnetosphere is NOT very young.
3. Some critical fossils we can not find.

Upvote 0

Elendur

Gamer and mathematician
Feb 27, 2012
Sweden - Umeå
✟17,952.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Engaged
Agnostic and atheist are not mutually exclusive.
I'm an agnostic atheist.
I'm agnostic because I don't claim to know there's a god (or not), I'm atheistic because I don't believe in a god.

Point 1.
The big bang theory doesn't propagate that nothing created something. It may well have been something, it makes no prediction beyond the singularity.
Big Bang - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
So our view cannot extend further backward in time, though the horizon recedes in space.

Point 2.
I don't know what you're referring to here, but I guess something like:
The earth's magnetic field: evidence that the earth is young
I'll let an actual physicist discuss that.

Point 3.
As for the missing links. If I give you a color example:
ColorExample2.png

ColorExample1.png

These are two plots where I've taken the same function and let the color gradually go from blue, to red, as x goes from 0 to 1.

They're the same. Except that I've chosen to remove the intermediate plotting between some intervals (and that the height interval changed).

The change is still there, just that we can't see everything (as we can in the first picture).

This is quite similar to what we see in the fossil record, but then you'll have to bear in mind that we'd actually see only one infinitely thin slit instead of those wide columns (due to it being discreet, not continuous).
(Meaning that we'll never be able to fill it out, since that'd require for us to find every creature that has ever lived, and doesn't that sound quite harsh?)

As soon as something new is unearthed and put in (say the near-white column in my example) someone will always say "Look at the two gaps you made now".

I will look at this thread for a couple of days to answer you if you have any questions about what I've written. Cheers.

Upvote 0

Wiccan_Child

Contributor
Mar 21, 2005
Bristol, UK
✟31,731.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
UK-Liberal-Democrats
I'll do my best. I have a thread, "Ask a Physicist anything", where such questions can be asked, if you don't want to make more threads.

Evolution is the observation that species change over time. The mechanism for this is natural variation between parent and offspring - siblings and parents all look similar, but not alike (excepting identical twins). This is because of the random combination of the mother and father's genetics, plus novel genetics from random mutation.

This variation means some offspring are lucky and stand a better chance at surviving their environment - maybe it's getting permanently colder, and so elephants born with thicker fat or more hair can survive the colder environment better. Since they survive better, they breed more, so future generations eventually all have these beneficial mutations.

Conversely, harmful mutations (in the example above, thinner fur or less hair) would make the individual less able to reproduce, so those mutations would quickly hit dead ends and be removed from the gene pool.

Over the generations, then, good genetic variations are kept in the gene pool while bad genetic variations are removed, altering the whole species step by step.

If a population splits in two, each has its own gene pool which varies from then on. Over time, the two pools become so different that individuals in one can no longer breed with individuals in the other - the pools are two distinct species.

We don't know.

Unsatisfying? Tell me about it :p But that's the truth. What we do know is that the universe has been expanding for 13.5 billion years, and 13.5 billion years ago everything was much closer and denser. But at such high energies, we don't know how things behaved, so we can't rewind the clock any further. This point is called the Big Bang, and though it is often touted as the start of time and the universe, it's really just the current limit of human understanding - we simply don't know what went on back then, so we can't rewind events to go any further back. Perhaps the universe did begin then, perhaps it began trillions of years before, or perhaps it's eternal, or cyclic.

Nevertheless, the question of why there's something rather than nothing is interesting, and quantum mechanics gives us some insights. For instance, it may be that, in the absence of physical laws, there's nothing to say the universe can't pop into existence - and so, it did. More than that, innumerable universes could pop into existence via the same trick. Eventually, one lucky universe would have just the right conditions to allow the natural formation of life - i.e., our universe.

But as interesting as that idea is, it's ultimately speculation, which loops back to my original answer: we don't know. No one knows.

Well, the magnetosphere isn't young - it's been with the Earth for as long as there's been an 'Earth'. The magnetosphere periodically flips, as seen in ice core samples and other observations, but it's not a recent phenomenon.

3. The missing links?
'Missing link' is a misnomer born from inaccurate coverage of scientific topics. Better coverage has meant this term is largely no longer heard (you're the first person I've heard use it in a long time), and a more accurate term is 'transitional form' (though that, too has is problems). The truth is that all creatures, living and dead, are transitions or links between their ancestors and their descendants.

But some are more interesting than others, those creatures on the cusp of some transition (Tiktaalik on the cusp of walking on land, Archaeopteryx on the cusp of flight, etc).

But whatever we call these 'in-between' things, the fossil record is replete with them (apologies for the large images):

Archaeopteryx1140553061.jpg

i-c0360b64401efb95e08b0a7a4cf36865-tiktaalik_limb_lg.jpg

newscallops.jpg

Upvote 0

Oncedeceived

Senior Veteran
Jul 11, 2003
✟66,870.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

I am interested in your experience in Christianity. I assume that you have not had God reveal Himself to you in any way. I know this because if you knew God you would not be in this place. If you are truly seeking I would say that you need to ask to be shown who God is and let Him be the one that guides you. However, I think it is great that you want to gain knowledge of our universe. How can you understand how remarkable our world is until you have an idea about how God created it.

Nothing creates nothing. The most common theory with evidence to support it explains the universe at its earliest moments. It does not have a reason or evidence of how it came into existence.

I'm not sure why you think it is young.

3. The missing links?

Too much to even say about this one.

Evidence for what claims? Are you asking people who don't believe in God what evidence they have for not believing? Are you asking for evidence for evolution? The issue is not evolution vs. creation. Evolution is not the property of atheists, or even naturalists. Evolution happens and it is man looking back on how God created. Evolution is a label. It is a definition of a process that allows change in life forms. It doesn't take the place of God nor does it provide evidence against creation.

Upvote 0

selfinflikted

Under Deck
Jul 13, 2006
✟24,014.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Democrat
Evidence for what claims? Are you asking people who don't believe in God what evidence they have for not believing? Are you asking for evidence for evolution? The issue is not evolution vs. creation. Evolution is not the property of atheists, or even naturalists. Evolution happens and it is man looking back on how God created. Evolution is a label. It is a definition of a process that allows change in life forms. It doesn't take the place of God nor does it provide evidence against creation.

If common descent is true, while it may not make evidence against creation per se, I'd argue that it does provide evidence against creation as described in Genesis in the Bible. :thumbsup:

Upvote 0

HitchSlap

PROUDLY PRIMATE
Aug 6, 2012
✟281,096.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
I am interested in your experience in Christianity. I assume that you have not had God reveal Himself to you in any way. I know this because if you knew God you would not be in this place. If you are truly seeking I would say that you need to ask to be shown who God is and let Him be the one that guides you. However, I think it is great that you want to gain knowledge of our universe. How can you understand how remarkable our world is until you have an idea about how God created it.

I find this arrogant and condescending. You have completely dismissed and devalued the OP's concerns. You have no idea what his personal experience and history with Christianity has been, yet you feel qualified to offer your opinion of someone else's crisis of belief?

Maybe when you find the courage to answer "how would you know if you're wrong," then you might understand how annoying and demeaning your comments are.

Upvote 0

Oncedeceived

Senior Veteran
Jul 11, 2003
✟66,870.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I find this arrogant and condescending. You have completely dismissed and devalued the OP's concerns. You have no idea what his personal experience and history with Christianity has been, yet you feel qualified to offer your opinion of someone else's crisis of belief?

Maybe when you find the courage to answer "how would you know if you're wrong," then you might understand how annoying and demeaning your comments are.

I know if you know something you don't un-know it.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

selfinflikted

Under Deck
Jul 13, 2006
✟24,014.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Democrat
Have you ever met a Christian who admitted that it's quite possible their beliefs could be wrong?

I have. There are many that post here that I've heard say things like, "No one can ever be 100% certain of anything. That's why it's called 'faith'."

Our friend AV1611VET, however, is not one of them. lol

(you know you're a rockstar, AV. just sayin')

Reactions: 46AND2
Upvote 0

Oncedeceived

Senior Veteran
Jul 11, 2003
✟66,870.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
We know you do but coming from a person who claims to know things that are impossible to know it doesn't mean a lot.
Have you ever met a Christian who admitted that it's quite possible their beliefs could be wrong?

:D I was not always a Christian.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Wiccan_Child

Contributor
Mar 21, 2005
Bristol, UK
✟31,731.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
UK-Liberal-Democrats
I know if you know something you don't un-know it.
Actually, that's the very foundation of scientific progress: changing one's mind. I used to know the Earth was flat and Santa came down chimneys - now I un-know it.

Upvote 0

Oncedeceived

Senior Veteran
Jul 11, 2003
✟66,870.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Actually, that's the very foundation of scientific progress: changing one's mind. I used to know the Earth was flat and Santa came down chimneys - now I un-know it.

No, you didn't know the earth was flat, you believed it. You didn't know Santa came down chimneys, you were told it and believed it. You didn't know any of that.

Science is not about knowing or proving it is about theories and information and what can be shown through evidence. It doesn't work on truth per se.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.