las vegas
✟8,013.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Hello, well I converted from scientific militant atheist to all-in Christian this year. After a lifetime of atheism,..a little song got me. We have a pop station at work playing, and somehow a "goofy" Jesus song snuck through all the inane "chick music" noise,..I heard it about 3 or 4 times and then I couldn't get it out of my mind, like my atheist soul was begging my mind to shut up for just a minute and listen. It was this weirdly compelling song called I Can Only Imagine, by MercyMe. The singer was so sincere! I've always thought that "Jesus People" have to be faking it, or something,..yet this guy was so authentic that the lyrics just pulled me into a kind of deeply beautiful mystery. I was almost embarrassed to be listening to it, given the fact I was a total Richard Dawkins disciple. Well, I ended up buying the song (secretly, of course!) along with some other "best of" songs from that group. I started listening sincerely to their songs in my man cave, secretly, until it became a kind of revelation, something I couldn't wait to hear when I got home from work, a kind of really embarrassing secret I was carrying that...yep, this grumpy atheist finally admitted to himself that he really really really wanted Jesus to come into his starving, desiccated, disconsolate heart. I wanted Jesus, but my mind wouldn't shut up and stop debating with itself. My heart would say "this just might be the Truth I've been searching for all my life"..and my mind would instantly go "Yeah, but...." and "this is ridiculous, let's re-think this! what will everyone say!"
A couple months later I was up in the hills with my dog, just looking at some distant mountains, listening to songs on my headphones,..I think it was about half way thru this gorgeous, heart-felt MercyMe song called Word of God Speak that I just gave up the struggle, the defenses,..and the love of Jesus rushed in to the depths of my dark cave and Found me. I spent hours there, just weeping for Joy, and telling Jesus how thankful I was that He came and rescued me, and how good He was for not giving up on this pitiful, scornful, arrogant, selfish atheist that was my previous self before that moment. I spent 3 hours up there, and came down a brand new man. My long-patient Christian wife of 20 years couldn't believe her ears when I told her what had happened to me, she was crying so much, so happy for me, and for us. I could say a lot more, but that's a good start for now! We are planning to get baptized together, and I have to say our marriage has taken on a whole new and deeper dimension.

Greengardener

for love is of God
Site Supporter
May 24, 2019
MidAtlantic
✟175,913.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
What a wonderful introduction story, GWU! I too have lately been overwhelmed with the love of God toward us - so amazing! So happy for you. You've finally realized that the thing you want most in life is to be in relationship with the One who made your life! There is no better place to be! Welcome to the forum!

Reactions: Deade
Upvote 0

eleos1954

God is Love
Site Supporter
Nov 14, 2017
Utah
✟722,409.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Hello, well I converted from scientific militant atheist to all-in Christian this year. After a lifetime of atheism,..a little song got me. We have a pop station at work playing, and somehow a "goofy" Jesus song snuck through all the inane "chick music" noise,..I heard it about 3 or 4 times and then I couldn't get it out of my mind, like my atheist soul was begging my mind to shut up for just a minute and listen. It was this weirdly compelling song called I Can Only Imagine, by MercyMe. The singer was so sincere! I've always thought that "Jesus People" have to be faking it, or something,..yet this guy was so authentic that the lyrics just pulled me into a kind of deeply beautiful mystery. I was almost embarrassed to be listening to it, given the fact I was a total Richard Dawkins disciple. Well, I ended up buying the song (secretly, of course!) along with some other "best of" songs from that group. I started listening sincerely to their songs in my man cave, secretly, until it became a kind of revelation, something I couldn't wait to hear when I got home from work, a kind of really embarrassing secret I was carrying that...yep, this grumpy atheist finally admitted to himself that he really really really wanted Jesus to come into his starving, desiccated, disconsolate heart. I wanted Jesus, but my mind wouldn't shut up and stop debating with itself. My heart would say "this just might be the Truth I've been searching for all my life"..and my mind would instantly go "Yeah, but...." and "this is ridiculous, let's re-think this! what will everyone say!"
A couple months later I was up in the hills with my dog, just looking at some distant mountains, listening to songs on my headphones,..I think it was about half way thru this gorgeous, heart-felt MercyMe song called Word of God Speak that I just gave up the struggle, the defenses,..and the love of Jesus rushed in to the depths of my dark cave and Found me. I spent hours there, just weeping for Joy, and telling Jesus how thankful I was that He came and rescued me, and how good He was for not giving up on this pitiful, scornful, arrogant, selfish atheist that was my previous self before that moment. I spent 3 hours up there, and came down a brand new man. My long-patient Christian wife of 20 years couldn't believe her ears when I told her what had happened to me, she was crying so much, so happy for me, and for us. I could say a lot more, but that's a good start for now! We are planning to get baptized together, and I have to say our marriage has taken on a whole new and deeper dimension.

Hello and welcome to the forum.

Thank you for sharing your story .... I love it when the Lord gets through to someone ... He knew you were open to it. And just think .... this is just the beginning!

I've seen the Lord use the craziest circumstances and people to draw people to Him. A gentle spirit with a powerful impact ;o)

Welcome to the family of the Lord. Happy about your decision(s) to get baptized.

Now go jump into His word ... start with Matthew, Mark Luke & John .... He has a lot to say to you now that you want to hear ;o)

Truly happy for the both of you!

We have a awesome God!

Here's a little gift for you and your wife ... turn up the volume and enjoy!

May the Lord abundantly bless you and your wife. Amen and AMEN!

• Friendly
Upvote 0

2PhiloVoid

Of course, it's all ...about the Sun!
Site Supporter
Oct 28, 2006
The Void!
✟1,135,691.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others

I'm glad to hear it. In some minor ways, your story sort of sounds like my own.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

yeshuaslavejeff

simple truth, martyr, disciple of Yahshua
Jan 6, 2005
okie
✟214,996.00
Faith
Anabaptist
My long-patient Christian wife of 20 years couldn't believe her ears when I told her what had happened to me, she was crying so much, so happy for me, and for us. I could say a lot more, but that's a good start for now! We are planning to get baptized together, and I have to say our marriage has taken on a whole new and deeper dimension.
HALLELUYAH CRY ALL THE ANGELS IN HEAVEN TODAY ! (every time someone is saved)

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Deade

Called of God
Site Supporter
Dec 17, 2017
Vinita, OK
Visit site
✟274,266.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
Hello GWU,
welcome to CF.

I hope you'll enjoy your stay here.

hello-2.gif

6a5bcad37bbf9973402890f576a260d1.gif

Upvote 0

Aussie Pete

Site Supporter
Aug 14, 2019
Frankston
Visit site
✟727,630.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Divorced
Thank you for sharing your wonderful testimony to the glory of Lord Jesus.

Upvote 0

Sophrosyne

Let Your Light Shine.. Matt 5:16
Jun 21, 2007
In God's Amazing Grace
✟903,022.00
Faith
Christian
Christian music also brought me back to God when I fell away in my teens in my mid 30s I started listening to it and got to where I didn't want to listen to anything else. MercyMe is a great group, I also recommend checking out Steven Curtis Chapman, Michael W. Smith, Avalon, Ray Boltz, and there are many others. I like deep thinking lyrics and stories of faith in songs more than worship music to casually listen to. Our local station here I think also streams Christian music (KXOJ) and there is probably a Contemporary Christian channel on Iheart too.

• Friendly
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

GWU

Nov 9, 2019
las vegas
✟8,013.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Thanks everyone for welcoming me to this group. My best friends are all atheists,..obviously you hang out with birds of a feather, since I was an atheist for all my life. Even all my favorite authors are atheist and/or alcoholics: Steinbeck, Jack London, Robert Service, Carl Sagan, Hemingway, Dostoevsky, Dawkins, Hawking,Bertrand Russel, Nelson DeMille, etc. I can't wait to find some Christian friends, it would be nice for my wife and I to meet a Christian couple or two.
This is all pretty new for me, I don't have all the words and prayers fluid on my tongue, and have to admit I feel reserved when with my atheist friends, like I know they'll be thinking I went off the deep end, me the microbiologist. My kids are the ones I need to save now, I really hammered atheism into their trusting little minds,..now, with the guidance of the Holy Ghost, I'm finding a way to get them back to a relationship with God. They see the changes in me, in my outlook, my refreshed optimism, Mom and Dad's marriage, in the music we listen to at home and in the car, and, of course, Sunday mornings at church (Dad's gone nuts!).
BTW, my name here GWU...I just made it up,..from the first letters of song I love: God With Us, by MercyMe.

Upvote 0

DLovingBrother

Jun 21, 2018
MidAtlantic
✟24,441.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Thanks for sharing your awesome experience, GWU. You just made the heavenly hosts celebrate a new birth. You will need a lot of prayers because the enemy will want you back. My advice to you is just be patient. Knowledge-wise, try not to rush to be a mature Christian in a short time but enjoy your relationship with the Lord, smell the flowers and take it all in, the authenticity, His Love and His care. When I became a new Christian I just mostly listened at the Bible studies, read the Word and kept my questions to a minimum but I wrote them down. In time they were answered. Head knowledge is as important as heart knowledge.

Ten years have passed before I even dared to help lead a Bible study. By then I had a broad exposure and really deep anchored love with the Lord. Your friends might test you and you might begin to doubt. Read God’s Word first as much as you can. I am always reminded by the metaphor that the FBI agents are trained to recognize fake dollars not by studying the fakes but by thoroughly familiarizing with the genuine one. Bless you and especially your patient wife.

Upvote 0

GWU

Nov 9, 2019
las vegas
✟8,013.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Thanks for sharing your awesome experience, GWU. You just made the heavenly hosts celebrate a new birth. You will need a lot of prayers because the enemy will want you back. My advice to you is just be patient. Knowledge-wise, try not to rush to be a mature Christian in a short time but enjoy your relationship with the Lord, smell the flowers and take it all in, the authenticity, His Love and His care. When I became a new Christian I just mostly listened at the Bible studies, read the Word and kept my questions to a minimum but I wrote them down. In time they were answered. Head knowledge is as important as heart knowledge.

Ten years have passed before I even dared to help lead a Bible study. By then I had a broad exposure and really deep anchored love with the Lord. Your friends might test you and you might begin to doubt. Read God’s Word first as much as you can. I am always reminded by the metaphor that the FBI agents are trained to recognize fake dollars not by studying the fakes but by thoroughly familiarizing with the genuine one. Bless you and especially your patient wife.

Hi,.."your friends might test you"...YEP, my son tests me, too. The great thing is, I've spent my previous life immersed in all the atheist arguments, so I have a totally unfair advantage now as a Christian if anyone wants to "test" me. I'm the living proof that atheism is a house of cards, it leads nowhere but to hopelessness and depression; how could it do otherwise? Been there, done that, done with it. My friends and I used to sit at the coffee shop mulling over which kind of pine box we wanted as a reward for this absurd 100 years of chasing pleasure and avoiding pain,..yeah, like there's any danger of me going back to that! Now I clearly see atheism is the saddest religion of all, it's the religion of Pride. We'd see ourselves as bipedal apes in a tragedy, as worm-food, and mock anyone that felt otherwise. As scientists we'd glibly measure time back to a trillionth of a second after the Big Bang, and pat ourselves on the back for "almost" doing away with God, never hazarding to wonder what came a trillionth of a second BEFORE the Big Bang. Sad. Sad Denial. We actually PRIDED ourselves for being miserable! We'd say, "we'd rather be hopelessly miserable than live in fairy land of make believe" then look up at a beautiful sunset and consider it random chaos; we'd gloat about our incredible feats of science and yet still maintain that Nothing Matters; We'd prove that the universe is expanding at an accelerating rate but deny there ever could have been a Beginning. Sad. We'd define Beauty as "something useful for survival" or some such drivel; we'd mix up Good and Beauty with practicality, relative usefulness, ..yeah, atheists have the strangest conversations that go on and on and (pass the vodka, pal) on and on (ohh look at THAT babe!) and on (I really think the best way to kill yourself is with carbon monoxide, what about you?) and on; we'd say God is for "lazy thinkers" and then go on to theorize that Everything came from Nothing without the slightest proof except pride, hangovers and black coffee; our entire religious argument came down to sticking our tongues out and saying: OK, so then WHO made God? and then we'd go on to discuss theoretical dimensions that exist outside of time, or multi-verses, parallel universes, infinite numbers of universes, of the inevitability of infinite numbers of monkeys accidentally typing the complete works of Shakespeare by banging on random keys; I could go on and on with my atheistic logic and anti-logic, and maybe I should write a book about it some day,..but for now, who cares? I'm having a new life, in living color, living textures, even the mountains around my house have become intensely personal, my wife and I have found each other all over again like some grand adventure. It's like that MercyMe song that goes "they say you only live once, but I lived twice!"

Reactions: paul1149
Upvote 0