• Welcome to Christian Forums
  1. Welcome to Christian Forums, a forum to discuss Christianity in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

2. The forums in the Christian Congregations category are now open only to Christian members. Please review our current Faith Groups list for information on which faith groups are considered to be Christian faiths. Christian members please remember to read the Statement of Purpose threads for each forum within Christian Congregations before posting in the forum.

Conservative Activist Attacked at Berkeley

Discussion in 'News & Current Events' started by Ana the Ist, Feb 25, 2019.

1. redleghunter

redleghunter Thank You Jesus! Supporter

+29,571
    United States
    Christian
    Married
    Murder.
    In 1971, he was convicted of first-degree murder and conspiracy to commit murder for the deaths of seven people, all of which members of the group carried out at his instruction. Manson was also convicted of first-degree murder for two other deaths.

Penalty: Death (commuted to life with the possi...

Parent(s): Colonel W. H. Scott Sr. (father); Kath...

Partner(s): Members of the Manson Family, inc...

Criminal charge: Murder, conspiracy

Now what are you comparing murder and conspiracy to murder to again?

Edit: also Manson is now worm food as of Nov 2017.

Last edited: Mar 1, 2019
  2. Apologetic_Warrior

Apologetic_Warrior Pilgrim

+3,186
    United States
    Christian
    Private
    I thought there are laws in place to protect the US flag, even when a flag touches the ground? Free speech is free within the laws, whether they are federal, state, local, and private...yes?

3. FireDragon76

FireDragon76 Well-Known Member Supporter

+9,554
    United States
    Other Religion
    Legal Union (Other)
    US-Democrat
    No, those are customs only. There is no legal penalty attached to dragging a flag on the ground.

4. New Birth

New Birth Well-Known Member

+196
    United States
    Oneness
    Married
    And he has the right to,,,right?

5. New Birth

+196
    United States
    Oneness
    Married
    What has POTUS said that incites violence? can you provide quotes in context?

6. Apologetic_Warrior

+3,186
    United States
    Christian
    Private
    I think usually the language used is in terms of "should" that is from the position of showing respect, being of the opinion, people should not be able to openly display total disrespect for the country they live in without some type of consequence, a fine or something comparable to say a speeding ticket for driving five miles over the limit, or jay walking or littering. There are limitations to free speech, even on the internet depending on where you exercise speech.

7. FireDragon76

FireDragon76 Well-Known Member Supporter

+9,554
    United States
    Other Religion
    Legal Union (Other)
    US-Democrat
    In the United States, freedom of speech is a sacred right protected by our Constitution, no matter how unpopular the speech.

8. New Birth

+196
    United States
    Oneness
    Married
    democrats were the slave owners in the South. hopefully they have changed their stance on the issue.

9. Ana the Ist

Ana the Ist Aggressively serene!

+5,640
    United States
    Atheist
    Married
    I think it's fair to assume they have. I haven't seen any Democrats come out against the Emancipation Proclamation....

...if they do though, I'm sure I'll hear about it.

10. New Birth

+196
    United States
    Oneness
    Married
    Ok keep us informed...
    One republican idea that both sides of the isle agreed on eventually.

11. Apologetic_Warrior

+3,186
    United States
    Christian
    Private
    Tell that to the man assaulted on Berkeley campus. Btw, have they found the man who did the assaulting?

12. iluvatar5150

iluvatar5150 Well-Known Member

+10,454
    United States
    Christian
    Married
    US-Democrat
    Sure, he has the right to do a lot of things. He has the right to take a dump in the middle of the oval office. His “rights” are a weak and pathetic standard to which to hold the POTUS.

13. Shemjaza

Shemjaza Regular Member Supporter

+1,757
    Australia
    Atheist
    Single
    AU-Greens
    That's my point he was convicted of murder... without having to be present or kill anyone. He's acult or terrorist leader, he doesn't have to get his hands dirty to be guilty.

My point is not that all neo-nazi and related leaders share the same level of culpability as Charles Manson, my point is that promoting and/or minimising genocide is not merely a speech issue, it is in fact a real danger.

14. Ophiolite

Ophiolite Recalcitrant Procrastinating Ape

+4,968
    United Kingdom
    Agnostic
    Private
    Please demonstrate, in detail, in what way burning a flag represents a total disrespect for the country. In particular establish (beyond reasonable doubt) that the burning of the flag, as a symbolic protest designed to bring attention to actions that are themselves a stain on the character of the country, still represents total disrespect. Alternatively concede that your remarks are biased and ill-informed. As an Apologetic Warrior apologies should come easily to you.

15. Apologetic_Warrior

+3,186
    United States
    Christian
    Private
    The flag represents the country which so many have died to defend and protect the rights of, even the right to burn the flag. :(

16. Ophiolite

+4,968
    United Kingdom
    Agnostic
    Private
    I apologise. I was obviously not clear. Can you point me to which part of my request you did not understand and I shall seek to rephrase it.

17. Apologetic_Warrior

+3,186
    United States
    Christian
    Private
    I explained in what way, but it appears you did not understand it, otherwise you would not have asked the question, if we could call it that, in the first instance. Maybe someone who has served in the US Military can explain this better to you, I have not. I'd also appreciate if you could refrain from using my username to goad. Thanks.

18. FreeinChrist

FreeinChrist CF Advisory team Staff Member Site Advisor Supporter

+9,807
    Belize
    Baptist
    Married
    US-Democrat
    ADVISOR HAT

This thread has had a clean up. Folks, the goading needs to stop.

19. Ophiolite

+4,968
    United Kingdom
    Agnostic
    Private
    I cited an instance where the reputation of the USA is brought into disrepute by actions of individuals, organisations, or elements of the government. I hope you would agree that, on occassions, such instances arise.

In such a case some individuals, feeling they have exhausted other options at their disposal and having a deep respect for the USA, its Constitution and reputation, may feel constrained to carry out a symbolic act of desecration. This act would be intended to make felt more strongly their concern over the prejudicial actions. In such an instance their burning of the flag is the very opposite of a total disprespect for the country. It is a heartfelt plea to pay heed to injustices being conducted, allegedly, on behalf of the country. It is those injustices that represent the disrespect for those who have died or made other sacrifices on behalf of the country and its people, not the burning of the flag.

I'm disappointed if you cannot see this and agree to it in principle. I hope your difficulty lay in my condensed message in the orginal post that was, apparently, not clear. I was trying to avoid being long-winded, but that obviously backfired. Please ask for any clarification necessary.

I'm sorry you felt my use of your name was an attempt to goad. It was an attempt to lighten the mood. Perhaps I should have followed it with a smiley to emphasise that. (I have been addressed on other forums as Oaf-iolite and found it amusing rather than offensive.) However, I take note of your sensitivity on the matter and shall avoid such usage in any future exchanges with you.

20. (° ͡ ͜ ͡ʖ ͡ °) (ᵔᴥᵔʋ)

(° ͡ ͜ ͡ʖ ͡ °) (ᵔᴥᵔʋ) Well-Known Member Supporter

+2,762
    United States
    Non-Denom
    Married
    I don't understand your point. Are you suggesting that it is "free speech" to punch someone in the face or that conservatives should have punched flag burners in the face?