United Kingdom
✟8,779.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Hi there, you may have seen my earlier posts on this forum where I have been struggling to deal with a decision on whether or not the LDS Church was right for me, or you may have seen my recent post on the Introductions forum.
Either way, I am confused and in my LDS thread, it was suggested that I speak to other people about their Churches, so this is what I'm doing. I'd be grateful for anyone to come onto this thread and talk about their Church and beliefs. I would ask though that your first post contains the following information:
  • Church Name
  • Core beliefs
  • What makes your Church different to others
  • Why you believe/know your Church to be true
  • Where can I find more information?

Last edited:

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Mr. Williams, I want to say something to help you with that, although it might sound like a complaint. The idea was for a serious study of the various churches, their theology and history, and so on, as you might do in the library or, to some extent, online. You owe it to yourself.

This is a task that deserves at least as much effort as preparing a research paper for a class, except that you don't have to write it up. You can't accomplish what you are after just by hearing about a smattering of churches from random posters promoting their own denominations in a few paragraphs.

Reactions: Cappadocious
Upvote 0

Tigger45

Pray like your life depends on it!
Site Supporter
Aug 24, 2012
E. Eden
✟1,272,804.00
Country
United States
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Constitution
Hi there, you may have seen my earlier posts on this forum where I have been struggling to deal with a decision on whether or not the LDS Church was right for me, or you may have seen my recent post on the Introductions forum.
Either way, I am confused and in my LDS thread, it was suggested that I speak to other people about their Churches, so this is what I'm doing. I'd be grateful for anyone to come onto this thread and talk about their Church and beliefs. I would ask though that your first post contains the following information:
  • Church Name
  • Core beliefs
I'm glad to see you're investigating Christianity as a whole before deciding on a particular denomination. Albion might have a point about using a shotgun approach to this subject. I would suggest researching the credibility of the bible, its core teachings and getting an overview of the historic church.

Upvote 0

Paul K

Dec 9, 2013
✟8,538.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
well. Churches(building) are just that, a building. It is a place for people to gather. As a christian, we are responsible to make sure that the leader is teaching appropriately from the bible, from God. If we notice that the leader are not teaching appropriately, we should approach the leader and discuss the issue with him/her.

The bible states that a good leader are humble, able to govern their own family well, and they can govern the church. So based on that thought, we should use the bible and use discernment when we visit churches and deciding if that church is the right one.

What I would suggest we do, see how people treat each other, how the leaders treat each other. Is the Leader haughty and all mighty? do the leader put more emphasis on God's words in the bible, or dismiss the bible and use his own words. When that happens, that might be a red flag.
Also observe if the church is too focused on"rules" ie; appropriate clothes, behaviour, hair colour. etc. I think thats a red flag.

The goal of a church is to be a place of healing for all types of people. whether they be wealthy and well dressed, or poor and not dressed as nicely. a church should welcome everyone, guide them to God's words, teach them God's words and give support to the people inside the church as well as outside. Also giving support to missionaries or organizations that are focused on international missionaries.

Just a idea.
P

Upvote 0

jwilliams190800

Apr 2, 2016
United Kingdom
✟8,779.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Mr. Williams, I want to say something to help you with that, although it might sound like a complaint. The idea was for a serious study of the various churches, their theology and history, and so on, as you might do in the library or, to some extent, online. You owe it to yourself.

This is a task that deserves at least as much effort as preparing a research paper for a class, except that you don't have to write it up. You can't accomplish what you are after just by hearing about a smattering of churches from random posters promoting their own denominations in a few paragraphs.
The reason I'm doing this is to get first hand opinions on churches, and if you'll notice, I edited the OP because I had forgotten to ask for people to put where I could read more. It's a start point. It's not a case of 'oh that guy really loves his Church, I'll join that one'

Upvote 0

jwilliams190800

Apr 2, 2016
United Kingdom
✟8,779.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I'm glad to see you're investigating Christianity as a whole before deciding on a particular denomination. Albion might have a point about using a shotgun approach to this subject. I would suggest researching the credibility of the bible, its core teachings and getting an overview of the historic church.
That's what I have been doing, I'm currently reading the Bible, but given that I'm only about halfway through Genesis, I've not got too far into the teachings of the prophets

Upvote 0

jwilliams190800

Apr 2, 2016
United Kingdom
✟8,779.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
The bible states that a good leader are humble, able to govern their own family well, and they can govern the church. So based on that thought, we should use the bible and use discernment when we visit churches and deciding if that church is the right one.
I intend to sort of create a 'shortlist' of Churches that fit with my beliefs and then visit them and decide which one I feel most comfortable in.

What I would suggest we do, see how people treat each other, how the leaders treat each other. Is the Leader haughty and all mighty? do the leader put more emphasis on God's words in the bible, or dismiss the bible and use his own words. When that happens, that might be a red flag.
That makes sense, I suppose
Also observe if the church is too focused on"rules" ie; appropriate clothes, behaviour, hair colour. etc. I think thats a red flag.
Isn't it sometimes helpful to have some sort of dress code? It can help make the act of going to church more special, calming and enjoyable; you get to put on your 'Sunday best'

The goal of a church is to be a place of healing for all types of people. whether they be wealthy and well dressed, or poor and not dressed as nicely. a church should welcome everyone, guide them to God's words, teach them God's words and give support to the people inside the church as well as outside. Also giving support to missionaries or organizations that are focused on international missionaries.
That's what it's like when I do go to the local Methodist church. However, I only go to certain services, usually around Christmas or other celebrations, so I haven't had the experience of being in a service where the church doesn't expect non-Methodist people to be there, so I don't know what to do as far as that goes. Now, given that there are two churches in my village: a Methodist and a CofE. I suppose that the logical thing to do would be to go to each for a few Sundays and go from there?

Upvote 0

High Fidelity

Site Supporter
Feb 9, 2014
✟904,775.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Private
I intend to sort of create a 'shortlist' of Churches that fit with my beliefs and then visit them and decide which one I feel most comfortable in.

That makes sense, I suppose

Isn't it sometimes helpful to have some sort of dress code? It can help make the act of going to church more special, calming and enjoyable; you get to put on your 'Sunday best'

That's what it's like when I do go to the local Methodist church. However, I only go to certain services, usually around Christmas or other celebrations, so I haven't had the experience of being in a service where the church doesn't expect non-Methodist people to be there, so I don't know what to do as far as that goes. Now, given that there are two churches in my village: a Methodist and a CofE. I suppose that the logical thing to do would be to go to each for a few Sundays and go from there?

I'm Reformed Baptist and I attend Church of England right now. It isn't like Starbucks where the coffee is the same in each branch; if anything the Church of England right now is merely a medium with some loosely applied expectations. The Vicar pretty much has free reign. That's my take on it.

I went there for a study one week not expecting much, but I was pleasantly surprised.

I'd check it out.

Upvote 0

jwilliams190800

Apr 2, 2016
United Kingdom
✟8,779.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I'm Reformed Baptist and I attend Church of England right now. It isn't like Starbucks where the coffee is the same in each branch; if anything the Church of England right now is merely a medium with some loosely applied expectations. The Vicar pretty much has free reign. That's my take on it.

I went there for a study one week not expecting much, but I was pleasantly surprised.

I'd check it out.
I have got a Church of England church nearby, and I think I will go there at least once for a Sunday service to get an idea of what it's like. From experience, Church of England services can vary greatly; some are very ritualistic, and seems more like a Catholic service as opposed to a Protestant one, I guess that's were the term High Church of England comes into play, but I'm not sure which one the church nearby would be

Upvote 0

High Fidelity

Site Supporter
Feb 9, 2014
✟904,775.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Private
I have got a Church of England church nearby, and I think I will go there at least once for a Sunday service to get an idea of what it's like. From experience, Church of England services can vary greatly; some are very ritualistic, and seems more like a Catholic service as opposed to a Protestant one, I guess that's were the term High Church of England comes into play, but I'm not sure which one the church nearby would be

I think you'll typically find the differences you've mentioned are that most Churches in C of E do two services; Traditional(High Church) at 09:00 and Contemporary at 11:00.

The earlier service is normally 45-60 minutes total and includes either a shorter message and Communion or a normal-length message and a relatively quick Communion.

The 11:00 services are typically a normal-length message and Communion every 2nd and 4th Sunday(may vary between churches/diocese).

You may prefer the 11:00 service, but it wouldn't hurt to give both of them a go.

I'd also recommend contacting the Vicar and asking if they have any study groups on at the moment. Going to one of those will be a bit less formal and give you a chance to interact with the congregation and Vicar and get a feel for the place and what to expect.
For me personally I went in to a study group expecting super wishy-washy folks but was pleasantly surprised to the contrary.

I pray it's a similar and edifying experience for you as well.

To your comment of the LDS; brother, I'd steer well clear.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

jwilliams190800

Apr 2, 2016
United Kingdom
✟8,779.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I think you'll typically find the differences you've mentioned are that most Churches in C of E do two services; Traditional(High Church) at 09:00 and Contemporary at 11:00.

The earlier service is normally 45-60 minutes total and includes either a shorter message and Communion or a normal-length message and a relatively quick Communion.

The 11:00 services are typically a normal-length message and Communion every 2nd and 4th Sunday(may vary between churches/diocese).

You may prefer the 11:00 service, but it wouldn't hurt to give both of them a go.
I'll have a look and probably go to the 11:00 service; it's easier for me to go to

I'd also recommend contacting the Vicar and asking if they have any study groups on at the moment. Going to one of those will be a bit less formal and give you a chance to interact with the congregation and Vicar and get a feel for the place and what to expect.
That sounds like a good idea, thank you

To your comment of the LDS; brother, I'd steer well clear.
That seems to be an opinion that comes up a lot on this thread

Upvote 0

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married

In that case, why don't you tell us what is on your list rather than simply invite random comments about our church memberships?

That might save a lot of time if, for example, you have already been convinced that the church apostasized along the way and was reborn at a later time, there is no hell, baptism should only be for adults making an affirmation of faith, there ought to be no authority above the congregational level, or something else like these.

Visiting in person the churches that are available is highly recommended. We have had plenty of people come to this forum with beliefs that they hope to match up with some denomination and, after a lot of consultation, we find the best match only to have that person say that it's out of the question because only the X and Y are within driving distance. If that's the case, everyone needs to adjust the approach here. That, or else recognize that the inquirer is looking for a spiritual identity with some denomination that may not have a congregation nearby, rather than a literal "church home" that the inquirer can attend regularly.

Upvote 0

jwilliams190800

Apr 2, 2016
United Kingdom
✟8,779.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
In that case, why don't you tell us what is on your list rather than simply invite random comments about our church memberships?
If you'll note the use of 'I intend to' it means that I haven't yet and I'm asking people on here to get an idea about different Churches and create that shortlist

That might save a lot of time if, for example, you have already been convinced that the church apostasized along the way and was reborn at a later time, there is no hell, baptism should only be for adults making an affirmation of faith, there ought to be no authority above the congregational level, or something else like these.
I have not been convinced of that. The other thread is simply me trying to provide the other side of the argument.

Visiting in person the churches that are available is highly recommended. We have had plenty of people come to this forum with beliefs that they hope to match up with some denomination and, after a lot of consultation, we find the best match only to have that person say that it's out of the question because only the X and Y are within driving distance. If that's the case, everyone needs to adjust the approach here.
I have more than two churches within a few miles and I don't mind walking or driving to a church if it's where I feel most comfortable. I'm in between two large towns each with several churches in them of varying denominations.

Upvote 0

NJA

Jan 9, 2004
Near London
Visit site
✟48,657.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
  • Church Name
  • Core beliefs
  • Where can I find more information?
Hi JW,

I'm with the Revival Fellowship (International)
The UK part website (which I'm in) has a statement of core beliefs
I joined as a 23-year old after about 3 years in other groups because I had already seen the huge difference actually receiving what all the disciples got at Pentecost (see Acts 2:4*) makes. They identified it as the true and original born again experience and after I trotted out all the arguments that the denominations gave they shot them all down with scripture. I saw the peace, happiness, unity, signs and miracles and realised I had no business anywhere else!
Jesus' first direction to people wanting to know where he lived was "come and see" ... meetings are designed to allow God to minister to you personally using his gifts as vehicles. Most churches don't operate these as detailed in 1 Corinthians 14 so it is highly likely that you have never actually been to a church that Jesus set up and is returning for! Remember the pharisees prodded jesus from a distance and missed out on the first-hand experience, websites are 2-dimensional and simply won't give you the glory of God he has places in his body. I can still remember the spiritual difts of prophecy from 30 years ago, it was Jesus talking to me directly.

* lds will tell you that speaking in other tongues was/is for preaching to other nations but the nations there were all left in doubt and confusion because as 1 Corinthians 14:2, 4 explain it is not (and never was) for speaking to men but to God. It is "praying in the Holy Spirit" (1 Cor. 14vv14-18)

Last edited:
Upvote 0

jwilliams190800

Apr 2, 2016
United Kingdom
✟8,779.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Hi JW,

I'm with the Revival Fellowship (International)
The UK part website (which I'm in) has a statement of core beliefs
I joined as a 23-year old after about 3 years in other groups because I had already seen the huge difference actually receiving what all the disciples got at Pentecost (see Acts 2:4*) makes. They identified it as the true and original born again experience and after I trotted out all the arguments that the denominations gave they shot them all down with scripture. I saw the peace, happiness, unity, signs and miracles and realised I had no business anywhere else!
Jesus' first direction to people wanting to know where he lived was "come and see" ... meetings are designed to allow God to minister to you personally using his gifts as vehicles. Most churches don't operate these as detailed in 1 Corinthians 14 so it is highly likely that you have never actually been to a church that Jesus set up and is returning for! Remember the pharisees prodded jesus from a distance and missed out on the first-hand experience, websites are 2-dimensional and simply won't give you the glory of God he has places in his body. I can still remember the spiritual difts of prophecy from 30 years ago, it was Jesus talking to me directly.

* lds will tell you that speaking in other tongues was/is for preaching to other nations but the nations there were all left in doubt and confusion because as 1 Corinthians 14:2, 4 explain it is not (and never was) for speaking to men but to God. It is "praying in the Holy Spirit" (1 Cor. 14vv14-18)
I can't see much difference between the beliefs of the Revival Fellowship and other Churches. Am I missing something?

The part where you mention that speaking in other languages, do you think that speaking in a non-native language is preferred for prayer because you have to consider what you're going to say more?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

NJA

Jan 9, 2004
Near London
Visit site
✟48,657.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I can't see much difference between the beliefs of the Revival Fellowship and other Churches. Am I missing something?

I see you are in the UK. If you actually visit a meeting you will hear somngs, personal testimony, 2 or 3 gifts of tongues, each followed by a gift of interpretatuion, 2 or 3 prophecies wheer God says he speaks to your heart personally, a bible-based talk where it is made relevant to today, prayer for needs and chat after.

If you come wanting to "see" and you desire Jesus' salvation we will offer the bible directive to baptise you and pray with you to receive what we have all receicved ... God's Spirit within, with the new prayer language.

The part where you mention that speaking in other languages, do you think that speaking in a non-native language is preferred for prayer because you have to consider what you're going to say more?

Yes, it gets beyond our limited understanding and allows God to lead us and minister to us ... the bible says: "we know not what we should pray for as we ought: but the Spirit itself maketh intercession for us with groanings which cannot be uttered" (Romans 8:26)
Praying in tongues allows God to minister His love, joy and peace.

"But ye, beloved, building up yourselves on your most holy faith, praying in the Holy Ghost, Keep yourselves in the love of God" (Jude 20-21)

Upvote 0

jwilliams190800

Apr 2, 2016
United Kingdom
✟8,779.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I see you are in the UK. If you actually visit a meeting you will hear somngs, personal testimony, 2 or 3 gifts of tongues, each followed by a gift of interpretatuion, 2 or 3 prophecies wheer God says he speaks to your heart personally, a bible-based talk where it is made relevant to today, prayer for needs and chat after.

If you come wanting to "see" and you desire Jesus' salvation we will offer the bible directive to baptise you and pray with you to receive what we have all receicved ... God's Spirit within, with the new prayer language.

Yes, it gets beyond our limited understanding and allows God to lead us and minister to us ... the bible says: "we know not what we should pray for as we ought: but the Spirit itself maketh intercession for us with groanings which cannot be uttered" (Romans 8:26)
Praying in tongues allows God to minister His love, joy and peace.

"But ye, beloved, building up yourselves on your most holy faith, praying in the Holy Ghost, Keep yourselves in the love of God" (Jude 20-21)
I would love to visit a meeting however, the closest one to me is in Goole, which is 45 minutes away, but I will keep the Revival Fellowship in mind; I plan on moving to a different part of the country at some point.
Might I ask, what is the 'new prayer language'?

Upvote 0

NJA

Jan 9, 2004
Near London
Visit site
✟48,657.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I would love to visit a meeting however, the closest one to me is in Goole, which is 45 minutes away, but I will keep the Revival Fellowship in mind; I plan on moving to a different part of the country at some point.
Might I ask, what is the 'new prayer language'?

Just my description of "praying in the Spirit" or "speaking in new tongues" (Mark 16:17, Zephaniah 3:9 is an old testament priophecy of it, as is Isaiah 28:11-12 which also describes the effect).

I'm in Herts. where are you thinking of moving to?

Upvote 0

Billy p

Mar 29, 2016
durban
✟7,741.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I'd recommend you first read through the Gospels, perhaps an easy version like the Esv. Following Jesus should somehow precede choosing a church or should at least be kind of the same thing. Don't just do religion, find the truth, it might even take all of your life but anything else will just be a sad waste of your time. When you find for yourself that Jesus is very real you will also see He is the person who was most excited while waiting to meet with you. (Visiting NJA's church sound like a awesome start aswel)

Last edited:
Upvote 0