Concerned about my younger brother

bluebox

Dec 24, 2004
✟115.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Engaged
Ok, so recently my sister committed suicide. Naturally, my whole family is devestated and we are grieving beyond all words, but I am especially concerned about my brother. They were close and I'm scared that she might have said something to him that's making him feel guilty, or that he feels he should have known.

I really don't know how to deal with this. I have discussed this with our parents, but I'm not getting any real response. My brother is seeing a grief counsellor (under duress...) should I try having a joint session with him?

It was always my sister who knew how to approach him, and I have no idea how to step into her shoes.

Solidlyhere

May 6, 2007
near San Francisco
✟17,619.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Bro is getting Grief Counseling ... good.

Even though he is not going willingly, going through the motions is purging.

About doing a Joint Session ... I would call the therapist, and ask if it would be OK for you to attend.

Also, it matters as to WHY Bro was forced into the Counseling.

If you are not very close to Bro (or, if you are not usually able to communicate with him during normal times), be careful about further degrading your relationship with him. Because, he just might think you are coming to his sessions for a different reason than you are.

By the way, why do you feel like attending a session?
Get clear on this before you talk to his counselor.

Upvote 0

vespasia

Franciscan.
Site Supporter
Oct 15, 2004
Back
✟51,460.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Private
In the UK we have this organisation that offers support and information to children and young people.

It may be useful to tak a look at some of the infomration on their website and they may be able to help you contact a similar group in your own country. Their articles does cover young people bereaved by suicide.

http://www.childbereavement.org.uk/

Upvote 0

madison1101

Senior Veteran
Sep 17, 2004
Pennsylvania
✟5,939.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
You did not indicate how old your brother is. Regardless, whenever a person commits suicide, the grieving family suffers from guilt and confusion.

It is a good idea to ask your brother's therapist about a joint session. I would also ask your brother how he feels. Opening up communication with him is a good idea. Death is difficult for young people to deal with no matter who it is, or how the person dies, but to have a sibling die in a suicide is very confusing for a young person.

Most importantly, prayer, for yourself and your family, especially your brother, is critical at this time. Pray for healing and comfort, and for your brother to experience the Lord's peace.

Upvote 0

madeclean

Oct 12, 2007
✟7,747.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Bluebox, I am so sorry for the loss you are suffering. May Christ be with you during this time to bring you comfort and relief.
I have both a brother and a sister who committed suicide. I still miss them and still grieve the loss of them from my life. Take care of one another during this time. Be there with your brother if he wants you to be, and reach out to the other people in your family too. Honor eachother and draw near to Christ as much as you are able. I will pray for you and your family. Christ be with you.

Upvote 0

rejectreality

Feb 14, 2005
✟15,531.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I know words can't even begin to address your feelings right now. I am truly sorry for your loss and the difficult time your family is having. I hope you and your family, especially your brother, know that there really wasn't anything you could've done to foresee and stop this event. Though I'm fortunate enough to never have lost a sibling, my very close cousin whom I grew up with committed suicide and at the time there was a lot of blame going around. Plain and simple, it was nobody's fault. I really hope your brother knows that. My only suggestion would be to simply be there for him. If he wants to open up, he can. If he doesn't, then at least he knows your there for him. I am praying for you and your family.

God bless

Upvote 0

wonderwaleye

Dec 23, 2005
MISSISSIPPI
✟5,952.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Bluebox, I am so sorry for the loss you are suffering. May Christ be with you during this time to bring you comfort and relief.
I have both a brother and a sister who committed suicide. I still miss them and still grieve the loss of them from my life. Take care of one another during this time. Be there with your brother if he wants you to be, and reach out to the other people in your family too. Honor eachother and draw near to Christ as much as you are able. I will pray for you and your family. Christ be with you.
Dear Madeclean

Might I ask if you know or ever found out why they both committed suicide?

If this question will cause you pain then I withdraw my question. It may or may not help Bluebox.

IT IS SO IMPORTANT TO KNOW GOD'S WORD AND REMEMBER:

“ Believe “ in Greek is a verb and has three components which are: hearing, accepting, and then " ACTING " upon that which you have accepted. X Even though you can't see him, GOD is there!!! O ( click on the x and drag to the O ) ( then see who is with you ) steven

Upvote 0
A

AngelDove1

Prayingforyou.gif

and yours :prayer:

Upvote 0

1Newcreation

Veteran
May 5, 2006
E. Coast USA.
✟17,078.00
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Married
I am so sorry and sad for you and your family's loss. How tragic for you all, may the Lord Jesus Christ comfort you and be your strength through this time.
It is good your brother is going to counsel, I hope he receives the message to his heart and mind that he is not responsible for your sister's decision. None of you are. Not a burden for any of you to carry.

Why do you feel the pressure to fill your sisters shoes? Just love your brother, be yourself, support him the best you can. You also lost a sister and need to take care of yourself. So I hope that you do take a step toward counselling, but not just out of support for your brother, but for yourself too. This tragedy may definitely bring you and your brother closer together, but allow it to take place naturally, and gradually. May the Lord be with you all.

I am praying for you and family.

1newcreation

Upvote 0