Nowhere
✟24,213.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
Okay so, long story short, I more than likely have OCD, and lately I've been feeling really depressed. I've emailed my pastor before asking for advice regarding my breakup with my ex, but almost every time I email him, I feel like I shouldn't. It's not that he's mean, I just feel like I'm being overly dramatic. I haven't emailed him a lot or anything, but still.

Lately I've been experiencing very dark thoughts. I can't really say what they are on this forum, but they're dark. And I emailed my pastor, as these thoughts have been going on for over a month and I've had them before, and I spent the last 2 days crying. I'm fine now, but still, I was thinking I'd reach out. Even a lady from church--I'd met with her and the pastor before when dealing with the aftermath of the breakup--she said it's ok to reach out.

I assume the pastor is on vacation or something as he hasn't responded, but I feel foolish and overly dramatic for asking for help and I feel like I should just get over these thoughts. Especially since I know I won't act on them, which I mentioned in my email. Someone asked if I was asking for attention, and I would say that that is an accurate assessment.

UGH. I feel stupid. These last few months have been rough, and I keep getting hit with horrible feelings.

tturt

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Oct 30, 2006
✟798,682.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Sorry that you've been having such a rough time.

Offering you this from Scripture.
"Casting down imaginations, and every high thing that exalteth itself against the knowledge of God, and bringing into captivity every thought to the obedience of Christ;" II Cor 10:5

When I saw that, I wondered what does that even mean. Then a CF poster explained. The thoughts that are against you. The life application is when those thoughts come, immediately put your focus on God and His Word such as:
"And my spirit rejoices in God my Savior" (Luke 1:47)
God "...hath delivered us from the power of darkness, and hath translated us into the kingdom of his dear Son:" (Col 1)
"To the only wise God our Saviour, be glory and majesty, dominion and power, both now and ever. Amen." Jude v 25

Or you can look at it as - Put on God's armor. Just think- We can put on God's armor. In this case, apply the sword of the Spirit, which is the word of God (Eph 6:10-18) to your thought life.

Be persistent and those type of thoughts will stop. (Phili]plans 4:8). If they do try to return, again immediately focus on the truth.

Upvote 0

amd358

Aug 8, 2023
Midland, Texas
✟8,081.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I understand how you feel. I used to experience terrible thoughts that I did not want to share with others. Sometimes they seemed to plague me day and night. Two things helped me: One--praying God's word back to Him. Someone had given me a book with different prayers that came directly from scripture. It had sections on scripute prayers for addiction, pride, idolatry, depression, food addiction, guilt, etc. When I felt like I was losing my mind, God almost placed the book in front of me to get me to start reading it (I had gotten it a while ago, but didn't ever open it). The Bible promises that God's word will not return to Him void. As one pastor put it: If you pray God's word back to Him, he can't ignore you.

The scripture/prayer book I read was from Beth Moore, but you can find scriptures to pray yourself. I can testify that God used it to change my life, and the bad thoughts lessened over time.

The second thing that God has used to help me a lot is Joyce Meyer's teachings/lessons. I listen to her via Google Podcasts. God used it to give me practical advice on living as a Christian day-to-day.

However, the *biggest* help I had when it came to the terrible thoughts was praying God's work back to Him. His word will not return unto Him void (no matter how overwhelming and intrusive the thoughts seem to be). Trust me, I know mine were overwhelming. To this day, I speak scripture to myself many, many, many times throughout the day (right after I find myself judging someone's appearance, if I realize I had a jealous thought, if I find myself being impatient, etc.).

Yours in Christ :)

Upvote 0

anetazo

Feb 19, 2023
Meriden
✟27,471.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Single
Could be powers of darkness pulling you in. Ephesians chapter 6, Christian people are in spirtual warfare against powers of darkness.
James 4:7. Resist the devil, and he will flee from you. Use Jesus name to order out satan and evil spirits out your home, Luke chapter 9.
Satan want's company in hell. It's real sad to see many people on the wrong path. Majority are following satan. They wont repent and conform to God's standard.
James chapter 4 .resist the devil, and he will flee from you. Stand up to him. Use Jesus name and kick dragon. Take care.

Upvote 0

Diamond7

YEC, OEC, GAP, TE - Dispensationalist.
Nov 23, 2022
Akron
✟72,263.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Married
I've been feeling really depressed.
This is not always the solution, but feeling depressed can be the result of allowing ourselves to have negative thoughts. If we get positive and think positive thoughts the depression goes away. As a man thinketh, so is he. The power of suggestion and the power of positive thinking is very strong. But faith in God is stronger. Proverb 3:5 Trust in the LORD with all your heart, and lean not on your own understanding; 6 in all your ways acknowledge Him, and He will make your paths straight.

Upvote 0

Terri Dactyl

Aug 27, 2022
Midwest
✟47,550.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Celibate
Sometimes depression can have physical causes---vitamin deficiencies, hormonal or other chemical imbalances.
You probably need to be checked out.
It might also be a good idea to seek out a christian counselor. Some churches have free counselling.

Don't think you are being bad by feeling these types of things, or that Bible study is not correcting it. Think about it this way. If we have the flu, we will necessarily be less receptive to Bible passages, because we don't feel good. Once we get well, it is a totally different story. Same with mental problems--you can love the Lord, but be able to understand spiritual things better when you are well.

God bless you.

• Winner
Reactions: rebornfree
Upvote 0

Beslowtoanger

Carrying my cross daily
Aug 25, 2023
Midlands
✟8,837.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Sorry that you've been having such a rough time.

Offering you this from Scripture.
"Casting down imaginations, and every high thing that exalteth itself against the knowledge of God, and bringing into captivity every thought to the obedience of Christ;" II Cor 10:5

When I saw that, I wondered what does that even mean. Then a CF poster explained. The thoughts that are against you. The life application is when those thoughts come, immediately put your focus on God and His Word such as:
"And my spirit rejoices in God my Savior" (Luke 1:47)
God "...hath delivered us from the power of darkness, and hath translated us into the kingdom of his dear Son:" (Col 1)
"To the only wise God our Saviour, be glory and majesty, dominion and power, both now and ever. Amen." Jude v 25

Or you can look at it as - Put on God's armor. Just think- We can put on God's armor. In this case, apply the sword of the Spirit, which is the word of God (Eph 6:10-18) to your thought life.

Be persistent and those type of thoughts will stop. (Phili]plans 4:8). If they do try to return, again immediately focus on the truth.
What a powerful and inspiring post. Thank you for posting this in such an understandable and comforting way.

I do this exactly……intrusive thoughts are now replaced with “I love Jesus” ten times and picturing him on the cross……the thoughts are gone……God is incredible.

Upvote 0