Dec 8, 2007
✟829,080.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
If you watch the night video recordings from hunters (which we are only now just beginning to be able to acquire as civilians) you will see an entirely different behavior that the dog like furry friends many see. In the dark over a kill hey act like hyenas, tucking their tails, snapping and fighting each other. Even over a carcass they show their true nature and if they would just focus on scavenging that would be one thing. But the land I was hunting on belonged to a rancher who had several hundred black Angus and the coyotes were killing the calves just as they were born.
Yes, they run down deer and calves in packs.

• Agree
Reactions: Darkhorse
Upvote 0

MarkRohfrietsch

Unapologetic Apologist
Site Supporter
Dec 8, 2007
✟829,080.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
In central and eastern Ontario, Fishers have been stalking people, and livestock and attacking and eating dogs and cats, but so far no human attacks.

AR-160139705.jpg

Upvote 0

~Anastasia~

† Handmaid of God †
Dec 1, 2013
Florida panhandle, USA
✟922,775.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
If you watch the night video recordings from hunters (which we are only now just beginning to be able to acquire as civilians) you will see an entirely different behavior that the dog like furry friends many see. In the dark over a kill hey act like hyenas, tucking their tails, snapping and fighting each other. Even over a carcass they show their true nature and if they would just focus on scavenging that would be one thing. But the land I was hunting on belonged to a rancher who had several hundred black Angus and the coyotes were killing the calves just as they were born.
Yeah I had real problems with them. Sometimes one would wander up in the daylight but they were usually alone. At night the packs ---

I had "guard llamas" for my livestock. Unfortunately I learned very quickly they are no real match for coyotes in Texas and needed protecting themselves. They were good for alarms but that was it. And the neighbors had a dog kennelled close to our property, but that thing became completely silent when coyotes came up (smart dog!). I learned to sleep VERY lightly. And when they were gathering to hunt nearby I usually wouldn't sleep.

One night we were out late at the grocery store and had put the livestock up before we left. Coyotes actually ripped boards off the barn and got into the section where my pregnant milk does were, and shredded them all. It was horrific. Thankfully I had the kids locked up close to the house and they survived. But that was a difficult loss.

In Ontario, they are big, and they are bold. There has been cross-breeding with both timber wolves and with dogs. While size varies a lot, they are way more bold than when I was a kid, and we see them all the time in daylight.

Not too many years ago a young girl was attacked by one in the yard of a high-school, just 3 3/4 miles outside of London Ontario, second largest city in Ontario. Lots of other students around, and in broad day light. She only had minor injuries thank God.

TBH, I'm doubtful of the purity of the coyotes near where we lived. Honestly they LOOKED more like rangy wolves (which I think would have been illegal to kill - I never checked). A neighbor killed one and checked with the wildlife official who kept telling him that's a COYOTE" ... with the kind of emphasis that means "we're going to call this a coyote" if you know what I mean?

But being bred with dogs would almost surely make them bolder towards people, and being bred with wolves would make them larger and more dangerous. I don't know what's out there where exactly, but something to be aware of where it happens.

Things are relatively tame where I am now. Over recent years I've lived alongside coyotes, bears, and mountain lions. Around here it's usually hawks, rats, possums, and snakes that try to get my chickens (the only animals I have outside here).

• Informative
Upvote 0

~Anastasia~

† Handmaid of God †
Dec 1, 2013
Florida panhandle, USA
✟922,775.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
In central and eastern Ontario, Fishers have been stalking people, and livestock and attacking and eating dogs and cats, but so far no human attacks.

AR-160139705.jpg
Woah!!!!

I've seen pictures of them but never anything that gave me an idea of scale. I thought they were MUCH smaller!!!

Upvote 0

marineimaging

Texas Baptist now living in Colorado
Jul 14, 2014
Ward, Colorado
Visit site
✟90,207.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
This yorkie looks like my granddaughters dog. It has been threatened by owls and hawks and stolen by people, but never attached by a coyote. However, now they live in Colorado and have to keep an even closer eye on it here.

Upvote 0

~Anastasia~

† Handmaid of God †
Dec 1, 2013
Florida panhandle, USA
✟922,775.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
This yorkie looks like my granddaughters dog. It has been threatened by owls and hawks and stolen by people, but never attached by a coyote. However, now they live in Colorado and have to keep an even closer eye on it here.
Such a small dog is so vulnerable. I'd worry even in town.

I had to worry about my German Shepherd, in the case of more than one coyote.

Sometimes my cat comes out with me now and we have eagles. I don't think they would actually come down into a yard to get a cat, but I send her inside if they are overhead. I've had PLENTY of hawks dive into the yard and right beside me even to grab chickens, squirrels, and birds, but hopefully a cat is too big a target.

Upvote 0

Southernscotty

Angels Team
Site Supporter
Mar 5, 2018
Arkansas
✟504,848.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Celibate
I love all flavors but the little Lc9 is certainly one to consider. I was playing with one the other day and it has a really sweet trigger, Is completely concealable and eats cheap ammo. Even the winchester white box and wolf steel case. Accuracy was on par with most short barreled conceal carries but I was grouping at 15 ft quite well.
9mm interceptors are wicked little pills and I recommend them highly.
It will all boil down to what is comfortable for you and what you are able to handle. A bad guy shot with a 22lr is a lot slower than one missed by a 45

• Agree
Reactions: marineimaging
Upvote 0

MarkRohfrietsch

Unapologetic Apologist
Site Supporter
Dec 8, 2007
✟829,080.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Woah!!!!

I've seen pictures of them but never anything that gave me an idea of scale. I thought they were MUCH smaller!!!
You might be thinking of the Martin; they are about 20" long in the body and a bit over 3" long with their tail.
Pine-Marten_Alain_Verstaete.jpg
American-Pine-Marten-500x475.jpg

The Pine Martin is about twice as big as a Mink; the Fisher is about twice as big as a Martin, and about 4 times heavier; a Badger is similar in size or slightly larger than a Fisher; a Wolverine is about twice as big as a Fisher or Badger, and about 3-4 times heavier. A Fisher has a similar disposition to a Wolverine.

Last summer, my wife and I saw a big one about to cross the road just ahead of us. He waited for us to pass, and did not run away.

• Informative
Upvote 0

~Anastasia~

† Handmaid of God †
Dec 1, 2013
Florida panhandle, USA
✟922,775.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
You might be thinking of the Martin; they are about 20" long in the body and a bit over 3" long with their tail.
Pine-Marten_Alain_Verstaete.jpg
American-Pine-Marten-500x475.jpg

The Pine Martin is about twice as big as a Mink; the Fisher is about twice as big as a Martin, and about 4 times heavier; a Badger is similar in size or slightly larger than a Fisher; a Wolverine is about twice as big as a Fisher or Badger, and about 3-4 times heavier. A Fisher has a similar disposition to a Wolverine.

Last summer, my wife and I saw a big one about to cross the road just ahead of us. He waited for us to pass, and did not run away.
I think I must have had them somewhat mixed up in my mind. I knew exactly what fishers look like - but I still imagined them smaller. I did a google image search after I saw your photo and about 2/3 of the images I could still imagine the smaller creatures I had in mind, but some photos clearly gave size context (mostly with people).

I wondered about the disposition. That's one thing I had no idea about with fishers. Wow - if they act like a wolverine - yeah, I'd be leery.

Almost everything weasel-like is cause for concern. I'm not thinking of the proper name right now - those tiny little weasels (we just call them weasels) that are so incredibly vicious and will also kill just to kill - if they were large they'd be like the velociraptors in the Jurassic Park movies lol.

Funny, I used to carry a pistol when hiking. And I needed a rifle on the farm. I don't think so much about dangerous wildlife though with the concealed carry but that's where my background mainly comes from.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

MarkRohfrietsch

Unapologetic Apologist
Site Supporter
Dec 8, 2007
✟829,080.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
I think I must have had them somewhat mixed up in my mind. I knew exactly what fishers look like - but I still imagined them smaller. I did a google image search after I saw your photo and about 2/3 of the images I could still imagine the smaller creatures I had in mind, but some photos clearly gave size context (mostly with people).

I wondered about the disposition. That's one thing I had no idea about with fishers. Wow - if they act like a wolverine - yeah, I'd be leery.

Almost everything weasel-like is cause for concern. I'm not thinking of the proper name right now - those tiny little weasels (we just call them weasels) that are so incredibly vicious and will also kill just to kill - if they were large they'd be like the velociraptors in the Jurassic Park movies lol.

Funny, I used to carry a pistol when hiking. And I needed a rifle on the farm. I don't think so much about dangerous wildlife though with the concealed carry but that's where my background mainly comes from.
Yes, the little ones that turn white in the winter with black tips on their tails; Ermines; they kill chickens and just suck the blood out of their heads; they are also called "stoats"; they are brown with white bellied in the summer; they look deceptively cute:

ermine.jpg

Summer Phase:
cuteanimals_ermine5.jpg

We used to keep ferrets for hunting, and for rat control in our barns (when infestations overwhelmed the cat population). They can be OK pets, but they stink. LOL:
Satellite

Last edited:
Upvote 0

~Anastasia~

† Handmaid of God †
Dec 1, 2013
Florida panhandle, USA
✟922,775.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Yes, the little ones that turn white in the winter with black tips on their tails; Ermines; they kill chickens and just suck the blood out of their heads; they are also called "stoats"; they are brown with white bellied in the summer; they look deceptively cute:

ermine.jpg

Summer Phase:
cuteanimals_ermine5.jpg

I'm not well versed on the range of that family of critters but we may have their cousins down here. I never see them turn white? Of course we don't get snow often. But they look similar. Also small. And vicious, with nasty tempers.

We used to keep ferrets for hunting, and for rat control in our barns (when infestations overwhelmed the cat population). They can be OK pets, but they stink. LOL:
Satellite

I've known a few ferrets. Cool little creatures as pets but yeah the smell bothers me too.

I never knew anyone who used them for hunting. That's pretty cool!

Upvote 0

marineimaging

Texas Baptist now living in Colorado
Jul 14, 2014
Ward, Colorado
Visit site
✟90,207.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
I think we got off track. Back to what he OP said about the grip on the Ruger LCR. Yes, it is a short grip. Too short for me (I am 6ft 275lbs at 63yoa) but for my wife (4'6" 145 at 67yoa) it is (according to her) perfect. As she said, she doesn't shoot competition with it and only plans to use it for short practice runs and once or never in the real world. But to have a short grip allows her to carry it in her purse without taking up too much room and is just right for her small hands.

Upvote 0

~Anastasia~

† Handmaid of God †
Dec 1, 2013
Florida panhandle, USA
✟922,775.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
I think we got off track. Back to what he OP said about the grip on the Ruger LCR. Yes, it is a short grip. Too short for me (I am 6ft 275lbs at 63yoa) but for my wife (4'6" 145 at 67yoa) it is (according to her) perfect. As she said, she doesn't shoot competition with it and only plans to use it for short practice runs and once or never in the real world. But to have a short grip allows her to carry it in her purse without taking up too much room and is just right for her small hands.
That is indeed my planned use. I just want something small so that I CAN conceal it. And my hands are pretty small too - I'm barely over 5 feet with a small to medium frame. I've found only one or two grips among all I've tried that were actually too small for me to feel comfortable with them. I just need something that won't beat me up so that I can practice plenty with it, and likewise is something I'm able to be accurate with (of course practice is probably 95% of that or more).

I still haven't managed to get hold of one to practice with. That's been put on the back burner with trying to catch up on work and some other necessary things. I can probably expect my permit to come through within a few weeks to a little over a month so I need to put this back in focus.

Our big gun show is coming up this weekend. I should plan to go to that. I'm pretty sure it should be easy to get a feel in my hands for just about any of them, though arranging to fire it might not be possible. We do have smaller shows pretty regularly too.

Upvote 0

twinserk

Apr 16, 2011
South
✟31,361.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Private
That is indeed my planned use. I just want something small so that I CAN conceal it. And my hands are pretty small too - I'm barely over 5 feet with a small to medium frame. I've found only one or two grips among all I've tried that were actually too small for me to feel comfortable with them. I just need something that won't beat me up so that I can practice plenty with it, and likewise is something I'm able to be accurate with (of course practice is probably 95% of that or more).

I still haven't managed to get hold of one to practice with. That's been put on the back burner with trying to catch up on work and some other necessary things. I can probably expect my permit to come through within a few weeks to a little over a month so I need to put this back in focus.

Our big gun show is coming up this weekend. I should plan to go to that. I'm pretty sure it should be easy to get a feel in my hands for just about any of them, though arranging to fire it might not be possible. We do have smaller shows pretty regularly too.

The Walther PPS (M1 & M2), Springfield XDS, Glock 43, and S&W Shield are all excellent choices. Get some Federal 147 grain HST's and you'll be set.

Be sure to get a good holster though. Kydex is best in my opinion.

Reactions: ~Anastasia~
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Silverback

Feb 13, 2019
South East
✟66,766.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
I realize this has probably been discussed but I wanted to ask more particularly.

I'm looking for suggestions for a handgun for concealed carry, probably a .38 or 9mm or thereabouts. (I used to have a little .22 but IMO those can potentially be dangerous in their ineffectiveness.)

I'm looking for light and easily concealed and easy to manage. My hands are small. I have had a good bit of experience shooting (but it's been a few years). Also my strength is not what it was, but I expect I can manage anything within reason - I actually enjoy my .45 and it's got a little kick. But no plans to tote it around lol.

So ... any suggestions? I haven't really thought yet how I'd carry it. I realize that's something I need to sort out. I've only done open carry in the past. Probably depends on what I'm wearing.

Thanks.

I would recommend one of the following:

Single stack 9mm

-S&W Shield
-Ruger LC9
-Glock 43

Reliable, durable, with 6-8 round capacity, easy to conceal, smaller than compact versions of full size pistols, and a little larger than a pocket 380.

Snubnose 38

S&W J-Frame
Ruger LCR
Colt Cobra (a little larger)

Reliable, durable, 5 round capacity, easy to conceal.

Personally, I like revolvers, I carry a Ruger LCR.

Last edited:
  • Agree
Upvote 0

~Anastasia~

† Handmaid of God †
Dec 1, 2013
Florida panhandle, USA
✟922,775.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
The Walther PPS (M1 & M2), Springfield XDS, Glock 43, and S&W Shield are all excellent choices. Get some Federal 147 grain HST's and you'll be set.

Be sure to get a good holster though. Kydex is best in my opinion.
I would recommend one of the following:

Single stack 9mm

-S&W Shield
-Ruger LC9
-Glock 43

Reliable, durable, with 6-8 round capacity, easy to conceal, size is between compact versions of full size pistols,

Thanks! I somehow missed the notification last time so glad I caught it this time.

I'm still waiting on my permit, and unfortunately had to replace my car in the meantime so ... we will see. It might be a stretch. But I'm also FINALLY doing better after cancer treatment a couple of years ago, and might be able to manage going back to work full time, so that might help.

A couple of those I hadn't looked into yet, but I will.

Thanks again!

Upvote 0