✟549,630.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
Thanks Mark. All very good points. :)

With my old revolver - I can fire it and n my sleep practically. And my trainer did a good job. Every time I pick it up, the first thing I do is open the cylinder and check it. I get REALLY upset with people not aware of where the muzzle of their weapon is pointed. Always always ALWAYS be aware. I need to look up my old friend and send him a gift lol. I didn't realize at the time how valuable his help was.

And I've thought about the probability that in a real-life situation ... sadly aim will probably be compromised. I've learned the difference quick-firing at a moving target compared to taking your time to aim a a stationary one - the former I only do well with a shotgun (and of course it's harder to miss with one of those - I jokingly looked at a revolver that shoots shotgun shells but in public that could be a disaster. Home defense though maybe.).

All of this adds up to wanting to be sure my body can handle the pressure - and I'm going to have to find extra work to pay for ammo to practice. It really is too bad my older pistol is just too big. It was a different situation when I bought it.

Thanks much. I appreciate all the input from everyone. I have a licensing appointment tomorrow. But it's still some time before I plan to buy anything. :)
Well that's great, it sounds like you are thinking clearly. A shotgun is pretty good for home defense, a highly underrated weapon. That's how I would go for home defense. As far as a revolver for personal protection there are a lot of pros and cons, just take due care and you will be fine. All the best in the licensing appointment, I'm sure you will do fine. I wouldn't go over .38, but I'm sure you will do you due diligence along those lines.

Just keep the safety measures in mind, that is what matters most. If you have to use that thing know what you aiming at because, and I can't emphasize this enough, once it's discarded you can't get it back.

Grace and peace,
Mark

Reactions: ~Anastasia~
Upvote 0

RDKirk

Alien, Pilgrim, and Sojourner
Site Supporter
Mar 3, 2013
US
✟1,473,800.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Thanks so much for the information.

I never used to have trouble with the slide on my semi-auto, but it was a surprise that it didn't feel like I remembered (I meant to have my revolver for the class but there was a misunderstanding and he packed the semi-auto instead. I can still do it and getting to use it could feel "normal" again with a few day's practice. But bottom line for me is that I've always felt more comfortable with a revolver and all things being equal, that's what I would prefer.

I was worried about the recoil though from such a terribly light pistol with such a short barrel. And I haven't experienced that yet. If it actually puts too much stress on my hands, wrist, or arm to practice with it, it might not work for me as I don't want to carry something I haven't gotten really comfortable with. Because of course it's also not worth doing permanent damage to my hands, which in my case is possible. (I'll know I think if I fire it for a while.)

Iirc I watched a video of a guy saying it was brutal on the recoil and if a man would say that, I wasn't sure it would work for me. But then the right anmo is going to make a difference.

I feel like I have a lot of catching up to do. :)

Thanks again!

My personal experience is that I find any centerfire pistol rather snappy when it falls below 19-20 ounces. I find that just a few ounces around that point make a big difference in felt recoil to me.

• Agree
Reactions: Darkhorse
Upvote 0

~Anastasia~

† Handmaid of God †
Dec 1, 2013
Florida panhandle, USA
✟922,775.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
My personal experience is that I find any centerfire pistol rather snappy when it falls below 19-20 ounces. I find that just a few ounces around that point make a big difference in felt recoil to me.
Yup it's definitely lighter than that. Too bad - a few ounces weight is nothing in difficulty to carry. (I already strap on a small bag with essentials all day most days.) But the profile/outline is a big thing in actually concealing it.

Upvote 0

Aryeh Jay

Gone and hopefully forgotten.
Site Supporter
Jul 19, 2012
MI - Michigan
✟498,114.00
Country
United States
Faith
Judaism
Marital Status
Married
Just one thing, according to Army doctrine the muscle memory of raise, safety catch, fire, safety takes some 5,000 repetitions to make it automatic.
Army Doctrine? Bah! I had achieved muscle memory after 4,982 repetitions.

Upvote 0

marineimaging

Texas Baptist now living in Colorado
Jul 14, 2014
Ward, Colorado
Visit site
✟90,207.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Thanks so much for the information.

I never used to have trouble with the slide on my semi-auto, but it was a surprise that it didn't feel like I remembered (I meant to have my revolver for the class but there was a misunderstanding and he packed the semi-auto instead. I can still do it and getting to use it could feel "normal" again with a few day's practice. But bottom line for me is that I've always felt more comfortable with a revolver and all things being equal, that's what I would prefer.

I was worried about the recoil though from such a terribly light pistol with such a short barrel. And I haven't experienced that yet. If it actually puts too much stress on my hands, wrist, or arm to practice with it, it might not work for me as I don't want to carry something I haven't gotten really comfortable with. Because of course it's also not worth doing permanent damage to my hands, which in my case is possible. (I'll know I think if I fire it for a while.)

Iirc I watched a video of a guy saying it was brutal on the recoil and if a man would say that, I wasn't sure it would work for me. But then the right anmo is going to make a difference.

I feel like I have a lot of catching up to do. :)

Thanks again!
All things considered you might think instead of a .38 or .380, a .22 magnum with Hornady Critical Defense rounds. I carry one as a backup and have no doubt that it would take out a perpetrator, especially considering the nearly nothing recoil would allow you to practice with less expensive .22 magnum rounds and not cause nearly the problems with recoil related injuries.

Upvote 0

~Anastasia~

† Handmaid of God †
Dec 1, 2013
Florida panhandle, USA
✟922,775.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
All things considered you might think instead of a .38 or .380, a .22 magnum with Hornady Critical Defense rounds. I carry one as a backup and have no doubt that it would take out a perpetrator, especially considering the nearly nothing recoil would allow you to practice with less expensive .22 magnum rounds and not cause nearly the problems with recoil related injuries.
Hmmmmm.

I initially totally discounted the idea of a .22 - heard of too many cases of them just making the target angry without good aim and good luck.

I actually know next to nothing about .22s ... except I have a little rifle that's sort of a family heirloom my Grandpa remade. I only use it for target practice.

I'll consider that. Thank you.

(My knowledge really is pretty limited to just what I have experience with - what I know, I know well. Everything else - not much at all lol.)

Upvote 0

marineimaging

Jul 14, 2014
Ward, Colorado
Visit site
✟90,207.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Hmmmmm.

I initially totally discounted the idea of a .22 - heard of too many cases of them just making the target angry without good aim and good luck.

I actually know next to nothing about .22s ... except I have a little rifle that's sort of a family heirloom my Grandpa remade. I only use it for target practice.

I'll consider that. Thank you.

(My knowledge really is pretty limited to just what I have experience with - what I know, I know well. Everything else - not much at all lol.)
They have come a long way in the past few years. I carry the Hornady Critical Defense WMR's in my Ruger .22 Single Six as a hunting backup after seeing them drop a 200 lb hog in it's tracks. But if I had the issues you have I would not hesitate to carry them in this as a concealed carry. If you look at Hornady's web site for Critical Defense you will see that they actually recommend the .22 WMR pictured below for Personal Defense. That says a lot in terms of legal liability in my book. I do practice with other brands but carry these as a personal defense round. (BTW, I do not represent any manufacturer or brands. I just have experience with what I speak of.)

RugerLCR22MagFeatured.jpg

Upvote 0

~Anastasia~

† Handmaid of God †
Dec 1, 2013
Florida panhandle, USA
✟922,775.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
They have come a long way in the past few years. I carry the Hornady Critical Defense WMR's in my Ruger .22 Single Six as a hunting backup after seeing them drop a 200 lb hog in it's tracks. But if I had the issues you have I would not hesitate to carry them in this as a concealed carry. If you look at Hornady's web site for Critical Defense you will see that they actually recommend the .22 WMR pictured below for Personal Defense. That says a lot in terms of legal liability in my book. I do practice with other brands but carry these as a personal defense round. (BTW, I do not represent any manufacturer or brands. I just have experience with what I speak of.)

RugerLCR22MagFeatured.jpg
Thanks. Still reading on this, but I like what I'm finding.

If you dropped a wild hog with one, I'm impressed. This might sound bad, but my husband was once slaughtering one (smaller than the one you mention) and he used a .38 in the skull ... it didn't kill the hog and he was forced to bleed it instead.

I see that Ruger has a grip that's supposed to well-absorb recoil, but can be replaced. If I'm remembering the feel of it, I think I would have preferred a just slightly longer grip anyway.

I'm going to hopefully check with them tomorrow as I have a few hours between Bible study and a dr appt - if they have one available to practice with like I think I remember seeing, I'll go check it out.

Thanks again!

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

MarkRohfrietsch

Unapologetic Apologist
Site Supporter
Dec 8, 2007
✟825,966.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Excellent idea!!

• Agree
Upvote 0

MarkRohfrietsch

Unapologetic Apologist
Site Supporter
Dec 8, 2007
✟825,966.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Thanks. Still reading on this, but I like what I'm finding.

If you dropped a wild hog with one, I'm impressed. This might sound bad, but my husband was once slaughtering one (smaller than the one you mention) and he used a .38 in the skull ... it didn't kill the hog and he was forced to bleed it instead.

I see that Ruger has a grip that's supposed to well-absorb recoil, but can be replaced. If I'm remembering the feel of it, I think I would have preferred a just slightly longer grip anyway.

I'm going to hopefully check with them tomorrow as I have a few hours between Bible study and a dr appt - if they have one available to practice with like I think I remember seeing, I'll go check it out.

Thanks again!
While I always used .222 and .223 for fox, coyote, and ground hog; a lot of people are now using .22WMR on coyotes with great success. For all the reasons you stated, .22 mag would be a great choice. They are very accurate in rifles as well; should be equally good in Pistols. I know Ruger and others have made pistols in this caliber for years.

Upvote 0

~Anastasia~

† Handmaid of God †
Dec 1, 2013
Florida panhandle, USA
✟922,775.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Still not made any progress with this - I was wrong and they don't have that exact model at the shop or range. But I'm going again soon and they said I could try another .22 magnum and one of the really small .38 sp and that should give me a very basic idea of the recoil, etc. Though I'm aware that weight difference, grip, and so on will matter.

Trying to track down someone with a Ruger LCR I can borrow for a practice session before deciding.

Not in a big hurry since Christmas is almost here. I got everything in process and approved (on a local level) for my concealed carry. Don't anticipate any problems since the only remaining step is an additional background check, and I've had two of those in the past few years for school districts.

I like that I'm taking time and that I've gotten such great input here. It's a choice I'm hoping to make only once, so I want to get it right, considering everything. :)

Thanks everyone!

• Friendly
Reactions: anna ~ grace
Upvote 0

~Anastasia~

† Handmaid of God †
Dec 1, 2013
Florida panhandle, USA
✟922,775.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
So strange to think of people needing protection from coyotes. I've had them get after my livestock - devastatingly so at times (and I honestly HATE having to shoot coyotes) ... but that they are brave enough to attack people?

Then again, coyotes vary a lot. In California they weren't hugely bigger than foxes. In Texas, they were huge tall beasts that would attack llamas and cattle.

• Informative
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

marineimaging

Jul 14, 2014
Ward, Colorado
Visit site
✟90,207.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
While I always used .222 and .223 for fox, coyote, and ground hog; a lot of people are now using .22WMR on coyotes with great success. For all the reasons you stated, .22 mag would be a great choice. They are very accurate in rifles as well; should be equally good in Pistols. I know Ruger and others have made pistols in this caliber for years.
My first coyote was dispatched with a .22 magnum at 120 yards as it stalked a herd of heifers at night. I have seen them taken with a .22 magnum and a .17 HMR.

• Informative
Upvote 0

RDKirk

Alien, Pilgrim, and Sojourner
Site Supporter
Mar 3, 2013
US
✟1,473,800.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
So strange to think of people needing protection from coyotes. I've had them get after my livestock - devastatingly so at times (and I honestly HATE having to shoot coyotes) ... but that they are brave enough to attack people?

Then again, coyotes vary a lot. In California they weren't hugely bigger than foxes. In Texas, they were huge tall beasts that would attack llamas and cattle.

Yes, this is Texas, and the critters are big. A couple of weeks ago, one attacked a woman jogger, had her by the throat and wasn't letting go. She was in the street struggling with it when a man stopped his car and helped chase it off.

Upvote 0

~Anastasia~

† Handmaid of God †
Dec 1, 2013
Florida panhandle, USA
✟922,775.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Yes, this is Texas, and the critters are big. A couple of weeks ago, one attacked a woman jogger, had her by the throat and wasn't letting go. She was in the street struggling with it when a man stopped his car and helped chase it off.
Oh wow ...

Thank God she was saved.

I had heard of one other instance years ago but it didn't get to that point. I can hope that's an isolated instance, and that the thing gets itself shot before something even more serious happens. And that it doesn't have a pack learning its behavior. I hope it doesn't encounter any children.

Lord have mercy.

• Agree
Upvote 0

marineimaging

Jul 14, 2014
Ward, Colorado
Visit site
✟90,207.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
If you watch the night video recordings from hunters (which we are only now just beginning to be able to acquire as civilians) you will see an entirely different behavior that the dog like furry friends many see. In the dark over a kill hey act like hyenas, tucking their tails, snapping and fighting each other. Even over a carcass they show their true nature and if they would just focus on scavenging that would be one thing. But the land I was hunting on belonged to a rancher who had several hundred black Angus and the coyotes were killing the calves just as they were born.

Upvote 0

MarkRohfrietsch

Unapologetic Apologist
Site Supporter
Dec 8, 2007
✟825,966.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married

In Ontario, they are big, and they are bold. There has been cross-breeding with both timber wolves and with dogs. While size varies a lot, they are way more bold than when I was a kid, and we see them all the time in daylight.

Not too many years ago a young girl was attacked by one in the yard of a high-school, just 3 3/4 miles outside of London Ontario, second largest city in Ontario. Lots of other students around, and in broad day light. She only had minor injuries thank God.

• Informative
Upvote 0