Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
Both Glock and Springfield Armory make some very concealable and very reliable 9MMs at very reasonable prices. I have owned both brands and have never had one fail to fire or jam yet but both were .45s of course. Good luck and G_d bless.

Reactions: ~Anastasia~
Upvote 0

~Anastasia~

† Handmaid of God †
Dec 1, 2013
Florida panhandle, USA
✟922,775.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Both Glock and Springfield Armory make some very concealable and very reliable 9MMs at very reasonable prices. I have owned both brands and have never had one fail to fire or jam yet but both were .45s of course. Good luck and G_d bless.
Thank you!

Upvote 0

MarkRohfrietsch

Unapologetic Apologist
Site Supporter
Dec 8, 2007
✟828,768.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
I can't decide if that's a compliment lol!

The reason I mentioned it as being 30-some years ago was to distance myself from my training. I was well-trained. But I feel pretty rusty as I haven't been going to the range for the past several years.

Actually it was kind of fun (though I'll look for a different range - the guy running it was kind of - not very nice). I forgot what fun it was. I think there's a place nearby for skeet shooting too. That was a new sort of challenge last time I went, and also fun.

I'm going to wish for wholesale ammo lol.
I reload; thousands of pistol rounds every year in 9mm, .40 S & W, and .45 acp. I watch for sales on components. I have restarted loading .223 as well, and it looks like that will also be a few thousand a year to keep my AR fed.

Buying components right means you can reload 9mm for almost the same price as buying .22s.

Upvote 0

~Anastasia~

† Handmaid of God †
Dec 1, 2013
Florida panhandle, USA
✟922,775.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
I reload; thousands of pistol rounds every year in 9mm, .40 S & W, and .45 acp. I watch for sales on components. I have restarted loading .223 as well, and it looks like that will also be a few thousand a year to keep my AR fed.

Buying components right means you can reload 9mm for almost the same price as buying .22s.
Nice.

My grandpa used to do that, and my gun buddy. Most people I have known who were involved in it did their own. Going price right now is almost $20USD/50 rounds so it adds up quick. (And I don't have anywhere near that kind of $$ plus range fees.)

I'll have to scout around. Too bad I don't live nearer my sister (she's a deputy and has long association with everyone around there).

Upvote 0

Quort

May 6, 2017
Elgin
✟10,413.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Private
Thanks - I ran across one of those looking online and was pretty interested to check them out.

Colors? Lol sorry that makes me laugh. I do like having things in colors. My phone charging cord is blue. But I never imagined buying a firearm in colors. Not sure how to feel about that lol.

They have guns in different colors today. They have guns labeled 'youth guns'. Guess what...they are still a gun and just as deadly.

For home defense for a woman, a youth labeled 20 gauge shotgun is perfect. It is like carrying a big pistol. In other words, don't let the labeling affect your decision. What feels good to you, and what you like is important.

A 22 is a dang good weapon. Shoot em in the head or heart, and they are dead. Just that simple. Nothing wrong with a 22 if you're a good shot.

For carrying purpose, a 380 or 9mm seem small to many. But, who cares. What are you comfortable with? What ever you decide, get good with it. Know that weapon like the back of your hand. And know that when you pull it, you are willing and wanting to kill them.

Any pistol for me, must seat itself in the back of my hand. I don't want any pulling away due to weight so I have to try and hold it up. That is first and foremost in my consideration of a pistol.

Quort

Upvote 0

Darkhorse

just horsing around
Aug 10, 2005
mid-Atlantic
Visit site
✟288,141.00
Country
United States
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
And know that when you pull it, you are willing and wanting to kill them. Quort

If you are ever involved in a defensive shooting, don't say that to the police (or anyone else)!

Upvote 0

~Anastasia~

† Handmaid of God †
Dec 1, 2013
Florida panhandle, USA
✟922,775.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
It just seems odd to me that a gun can come in colors as if it's a fashion accessory.

I would never want to kill anyone. But part of my training is strongly being conditioned that such a decision is made before drawing a weapon. If it comes out - the expectation is to fire. Not to debate or threaten.

Though the trainer of the CC course talked about how a person ought not be too far away if armed with - say, a knife.

If they are standing 40 feet away with a knife not moving toward you, that's one thing. But any person actually advancing on you with any weapon and apparent intent to kill you --- not a lot of time to calculate their movement, time to arrival, likelihood of accuracy or necessity of a second shot ...

Frankly I pray to God it NEVER becomes a question. But I've carried before and there is a sense of both responsibility as well as an increased motive to avoid conflict. And decreased fear makes for clearer thinking, IMO.

Those who might get some kind of chip on their shoulder from being armed might process differently though - and maybe shouldn't be.

• Agree
Reactions: Darkhorse
Upvote 0

RDKirk

Alien, Pilgrim, and Sojourner
Site Supporter
Mar 3, 2013
US
✟1,476,263.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Though the trainer of the CC course talked about how a person ought not be too far away if armed with - say, a knife.

If they are standing 40 feet away with a knife not moving toward you, that's one thing. But any person actually advancing on you with any weapon and apparent intent to kill you --- not a lot of time to calculate their movement, time to arrival, likelihood of accuracy or necessity of a second shot ...

While it's legally true that you'll have tough time arguing self-defense when a knife-wielding man is 40 feet away, the tactical fact is that if he does launch himself at you even from that distance, your chances of avoiding being stabbed are not good unless your gun is already in your hand. You are more likely both to bleed out together.

• Informative
Reactions: Darkhorse
Upvote 0

~Anastasia~

† Handmaid of God †
Dec 1, 2013
Florida panhandle, USA
✟922,775.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
While it's legally true that you'll have tough time arguing self-defense when a knife-wielding man is 40 feet away, the tactical fact is that if he does launch himself at you even from that distance, your chances of avoiding being stabbed are not good unless your gun is already in your hand. You are more likely both to bleed out together.
This is the unfortunate part.

As I said, I hope it never happens.

My main defense is always to be aware of what's going on, who is around, and simply avoid dangerous scenarios as much as possible.

I'm even wary in the Wal Mart parking lot in our small town at 8pm. And it turns out that's a wise thing.

• Agree
Reactions: anna ~ grace
Upvote 0

RDKirk

Site Supporter
Mar 3, 2013
US
✟1,476,263.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
This is the unfortunate part.

As I said, I hope it never happens.

My main defense is always to be aware of what's going on, who is around, and simply avoid dangerous scenarios as much as possible.

I'm even wary in the Wal Mart parking lot in our small town at 8pm. And it turns out that's a wise thing.

Walmart parking lots are pretty much proven places where care is necessary.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Darkhorse

just horsing around
Aug 10, 2005
mid-Atlantic
Visit site
✟288,141.00
Country
United States
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican

In Virginia, case law recognizes 15 feet as a legally-significant distance. If an attacker with a weapon is within 15 feet of you, your self-defensive actions are assumed to be justified.

It just so happens that the hallway to my bedroom is 15 feet long, so if I can see them, they're close enough.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

marineimaging

Texas Baptist now living in Colorado
Jul 14, 2014
Ward, Colorado
Visit site
✟90,207.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
I realize this has probably been discussed but I wanted to ask more particularly.

I'm looking for suggestions for a handgun for concealed carry, probably a .38 or 9mm or thereabouts. (I used to have a little .22 but IMO those can potentially be dangerous in their ineffectiveness.)

I'm looking for light and easily concealed and easy to manage. My hands are small. I have had a good bit of experience shooting (but it's been a few years). Also my strength is not what it was, but I expect I can manage anything within reason - I actually enjoy my .45 and it's got a little kick. But no plans to tote it around lol.

So ... any suggestions? I haven't really thought yet how I'd carry it. I realize that's something I need to sort out. I've only done open carry in the past. Probably depends on what I'm wearing.

Thanks.
My wife is 67 and purchased her own .38 Ruger LCR. It is composite so it is light, 5 shot, easy to carry and hide, and has given her confidence she could not hold on to with the .380 Bersa I first got for her. There is no hammer to get hung up on and it is a simple draw and fire. Admittedly she has to practice with it to understand how the double action only trigger needs to be pulled through and released completely, and how to reload using a speed loader or individual bullets, but she feels much more comfortable with it over the .380.

Upvote 0

RDKirk

Site Supporter
Mar 3, 2013
US
✟1,476,263.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
My wife is 67 and purchased her own .38 Ruger LCR. It is composite so it is light, 5 shot, easy to carry and hide, and has given her confidence she could not hold on to with the .380 Bersa I first got for her. There is no hammer to get hung up on and it is a simple draw and fire. Admittedly she has to practice with it to understand how the double action only trigger needs to be pulled through and released completely, and how to reload using a speed loader or individual bullets, but she feels much more comfortable with it over the .380.

And I would say again that the psychology of assailants comes into play.

An assailant who would attack a 67-year-old woman is not in the mindset for a gunfight. A .38 with five rounds is probably sufficient to send such a bad guy looking for the easy prey he though he was getting.

Upvote 0

marineimaging

Jul 14, 2014
Ward, Colorado
Visit site
✟90,207.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
And I would say again that the psychology of assailants comes into play.

An assailant who would attack a 67-year-old woman is not in the mindset for a gunfight. A .38 with five rounds is probably sufficient to send such a bad guy looking for the easy prey he though he was getting.
And I agree fully. My wife would not want to hurt a fly. But a man (or woman) who would attack an innocent person doing nothing but grocery shopping is in danger of hell fire. (or in this case Ruger fire)

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

~Anastasia~

† Handmaid of God †
Dec 1, 2013
Florida panhandle, USA
✟922,775.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
That's one I'm really interested in, but haven't fired one yet. She put in a lot of practice and hasn't had issues with her hands? Unless she's mega-strong?

I hadn't considered it much but in the past couple of years (and I've been off the range) I had health issues, surgeries, and as a result I have to be careful of my hands and arms.

Hopefully in the very near future I'll get back to the range. They have one for sale that's been fired so they said I could practice with it before buying it. And frankly, I'd never buy anything without trying one first.

Upvote 0

marineimaging

Jul 14, 2014
Ward, Colorado
Visit site
✟90,207.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
That's one I'm really interested in, but haven't fired one yet. She put in a lot of practice and hasn't had issues with her hands? Unless she's mega-strong?

I hadn't considered it much but in the past couple of years (and I've been off the range) I had health issues, surgeries, and as a result I have to be careful of my hands and arms.

Hopefully in the very near future I'll get back to the range. They have one for sale that's been fired so they said I could practice with it before buying it. And frankly, I'd never buy anything without trying one first.
Yes, she did have issues with her hands but in that her skin is very sensitive. That was why she went with the LCR. She could not rack the slide even on the .380 so i got her a pair of golfing gloves for practice. They allowed her to get a good grip and took some of the harder recoil but we still determined that not being able to load in an emergency was not worth it because she couldn't go around wearing the gloves all the time. So she go her LCR and she uses standard 125 grain .38 Special for practice and then carries 125 grain Gold Dots for defense.

• Informative
Reactions: ~Anastasia~
Upvote 0

~Anastasia~

† Handmaid of God †
Dec 1, 2013
Florida panhandle, USA
✟922,775.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Yes, she did have issues with her hands but in that her skin is very sensitive. That was why she went with the LCR. She could not rack the slide even on the .380 so i got her a pair of golfing gloves for practice. They allowed her to get a good grip and took some of the harder recoil but we still determined that not being able to load in an emergency was not worth it because she couldn't go around wearing the gloves all the time. So she go her LCR and she uses standard 125 grain .38 Special for practice and then carries 125 grain Gold Dots for defense.
Thanks so much for the information.

I never used to have trouble with the slide on my semi-auto, but it was a surprise that it didn't feel like I remembered (I meant to have my revolver for the class but there was a misunderstanding and he packed the semi-auto instead. I can still do it and getting to use it could feel "normal" again with a few day's practice. But bottom line for me is that I've always felt more comfortable with a revolver and all things being equal, that's what I would prefer.

I was worried about the recoil though from such a terribly light pistol with such a short barrel. And I haven't experienced that yet. If it actually puts too much stress on my hands, wrist, or arm to practice with it, it might not work for me as I don't want to carry something I haven't gotten really comfortable with. Because of course it's also not worth doing permanent damage to my hands, which in my case is possible. (I'll know I think if I fire it for a while.)

Iirc I watched a video of a guy saying it was brutal on the recoil and if a man would say that, I wasn't sure it would work for me. But then the right anmo is going to make a difference.

I feel like I have a lot of catching up to do. :)

Thanks again!

Upvote 0

mark kennedy

Natura non facit saltum
Site Supporter
Mar 16, 2004
Indianapolis, IN
✟549,630.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
I think you have the right idea with the 38 or 9mm. The nice thing about the .38 revolver is that it won't jam, the 9mm I think you should learn something about taking immediate action and good maintenance is always important. There is a reason some cops like the .44, it's because it's a revolver so it won't jam and it's a hand cannon, that's a lot of firepower so I think that one would be ill-advised. What I get from the thread is your familiar with weapons and have a good idea what is meant by muzzle awareness and the various gun safety that is so much a part of gun ownership.

Just one thing, according to Army doctrine the muscle memory of raise, safety catch, fire, safety takes some 5,000 repetitions to make it automatic. I believe in responsible gun ownership but the first rule is safety first. I know that sounds preachy but I've known a few guys who had accidents cleaning the stupid thing so, just a word to the wise.

By the way, the muzzle is notoriously hard to control, off a fraction here, it's way off down range. A hand gun is for close range and cops miss about 4 in 5 shots, do take note. If you have to use it you will be excited, it's not the range and things can be very confusing. Know what is going on with that weapon before you send that bullet down range because you can't get it back.

You want to check that weapon every time you pick it up, make sure it's clear and do a function check. That trigger finger should go right to the safety catch. Don't trust it over 30 feet in range, I'm not kidding, it's real easy to be off a little and have a bullet going on it's journey to who knows where.

Other then that you have a good head on your shoulders, if all else fails, take all instructions from the tower. Just a few words of advice, I sincerely hope you never have to use it but as long as it's in your possession take good care and I'm sure you will be fine.

Grace and peace,
Mark

Upvote 0

~Anastasia~

† Handmaid of God †
Dec 1, 2013
Florida panhandle, USA
✟922,775.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
I think you have the right idea with the 38 or 9mm. The nice thing about the .38 revolver is that it won't jam, the 9mm I think you should learn something about taking immediate action and good maintenance is always important. There is a reason some cops like the .44, it's because it's a revolver so it won't jam and it's a hand cannon, that's a lot of firepower so I think that one would be ill-advised. What I get from the thread is your familiar with weapons and have a good idea what is meant by muzzle awareness and the various gun safety that is so much a part of gun ownership.

Just one thing, according to Army doctrine the muscle memory of raise, safety catch, fire, safety takes some 5,000 repetitions to make it automatic. I believe in responsible gun ownership but the first rule is safety first. I know that sounds preachy but I've known a few guys who had accidents cleaning the stupid thing so, just a word to the wise.

By the way, the muzzle is notoriously hard to control, off a fraction here, it's way off down range. A hand gun is for close range and cops miss about 4 in 5 shots, do take note. If you have to use it you will be excited, it's not the range and things can be very confusing. Know what is going on with that weapon before you send that bullet down range because you can't get it back.

You want to check that weapon every time you pick it up, make sure it's clear and do a function check. That trigger finger should go right to the safety catch. Don't trust it over 30 feet in range, I'm not kidding, it's real easy to be off a little and have a bullet going on it's journey to who knows where.

Other then that you have a good head on your shoulders, if all else fails, take all instructions from the tower. Just a few words of advice, I sincerely hope you never have to use it but as long as it's in your possession take good care and I'm sure you will be fine.

Grace and peace,
Mark
Thanks Mark. All very good points. :)

With my old revolver - I can fire it and n my sleep practically. And my trainer did a good job. Every time I pick it up, the first thing I do is open the cylinder and check it. I get REALLY upset with people not aware of where the muzzle of their weapon is pointed. Always always ALWAYS be aware. I need to look up my old friend and send him a gift lol. I didn't realize at the time how valuable his help was.

And I've thought about the probability that in a real-life situation ... sadly aim will probably be compromised. I've learned the difference quick-firing at a moving target compared to taking your time to aim a a stationary one - the former I only do well with a shotgun (and of course it's harder to miss with one of those - I jokingly looked at a revolver that shoots shotgun shells but in public that could be a disaster. Home defense though maybe.).

All of this adds up to wanting to be sure my body can handle the pressure - and I'm going to have to find extra work to pay for ammo to practice. It really is too bad my older pistol is just too big. It was a different situation when I bought it.

Thanks much. I appreciate all the input from everyone. I have a licensing appointment tomorrow. But it's still some time before I plan to buy anything. :)

Upvote 0