Aug 4, 2008
✟7,612.00
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Democrat
I fell out with Christianity when I was twelve years old. I grew up Christian, but teenage angst, emotional abuse at home (thanks to a truly wicked stepmother), and pressure/teasing from kids at school finally caused me to become a very dark person. I played around with different religions, like Wicca, before I simply became a very outspoken athiest. In high school, I learned all about corruption and hypocrisy- especially within the church and it just gave me more ammunition. For example, why would a faith that claimed to be all loving single out different groups of people and deliberately voice their hatred for them? Religion seemed to be the cause of a lot of problems in our country, with our politics, and in our world. why would I want to be involved with that? I met my fiance, and he shared similar beliefs.

Just a couple weeks ago, my future mother in law and I started to have some deep, emotional discussions. She is Christian, and even after she found out I wasn't a believer she showed me her love. She asked me why I fell out with Christ- and I listed several reasons, to which she had an explanation. She said, "Why do you think God tells us not to have premarital sex? It can transmit diseases, can cause unwanted pregnancies, and it breaks people's hearts. He tells us not to be gluttons because being overweight is unhealthy." She gave a few more examples, all similar to that. She told me that God just wants what is best for his children. He doesn't expect us to be perfect, but he wants us to act in a way that is best for ourselves and the people around us. She also said that believing in Christ is much more about your personal relationship with Jesus, rather than sitting in church and being told what to think, what to do, and how to do it. Church is good because it brings people together, but isn't a necessity when it comes to believing.

So, just last week I was involved in a serious car accident. My SUV rolled onto its roof, and I walked away with just a few stitches in my leg. It was absolutely terrifying, but I knew from the moment I saw the wreckage that surviving that severe a crash with such little injury was truly an act of God, without question. I had my guardian angels surrounding me that night.
However, there is a catch.
I want to accept Christianity again, because I was given God's mercy that night. But, the logical side of my head is giving me a world of trouble. I can't remember what it feels like to believe anymore, because I've been lost in a sea of doubt for seven years. I don't know if it's alright for be to be having this sort of struggle.

Does anyone have any advice?

seashale76

Unapologetic Iconodule
Dec 29, 2004
✟173,945.00
Country
United States
Faith
Melkite Catholic
Marital Status
Married
I've been where you are, in that I left Christianity for a while and then rediscovered a Christianity that is essentially an entirely different religion from what I knew before. I had to start over again. Completely. I couldn't go back to what I thought I knew and believed. I just couldn't. There was something missing there, or I wouldn't have been unhappy enough to leave in the first place. The same holy scriptures and belief in the trinity, but everything else... just wow. It's radically different. I somehow knew it was my only chance when I discovered the Orthodox Church.

Except, I personally need the Church. I can't go it alone. I need the liturgy, I need the Eucharist, I need the prayers of the Church, and I especially need all of the sacraments of Christ's Holy Church. I need to go the hospital for what ails me; the ark of our salvation. I need the medicine of immortality.

My advice to you is to pray. I never knew how to pray either, so when I came across a prayer book, I started using it. It was a great comfort to me, especially the Prayer of the Heart: "Lord Jesus Christ, son of God, have mercy on me, a sinner."

Here are others you might use:

The Trisagion Prayers
In the Name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Spirit. Amen.
O heavenly King, O Comforter, the Spirit of truth, who art in all places and fillest all things; Treasury of good things and Giver of life: Come and dwell in us and cleanse us from every stain, and save our souls, O gracious Lord.
Holy God, Holy Mighty, Holy Immortal: have mercy on us. (Thrice)
Glory to the Father, and to the Son, and to the Holy Spirit: now and ever and unto ages of ages. Amen.
All-holy Trinity, have mercy on us. Lord, cleanse us from our sins. Master, pardon our iniquities. Holy God, visit and heal our infirmities for thy Name's sake.
Lord, have mercy. (Thrice)
Glory to the Father, and to the Son, and to the Holy Spirit: now and ever, and unto ages of ages. Amen.
Our Father, who art in heaven, hallowed be thy Name; thy kingdom come; thy will be done on earth, as it is in heaven. Give us this day our daily bread; and forgive us our trespasses, as we forgive those who trespass against us; and lead us not into temptation, but deliver us from evil.
Through the prayers of our holy Fathers, Lord Jesus Christ our God, have mercy on us and save us. Amen.

Troparia of Thanksgiving
Now that the day has come to a close, I thank thee, O Lord, and I ask that the evening with the night may be sinless; grant this to me, O Saviour, and save me.
Glory to the Father, and to the Son, and to the Holy Spirit.
Now that the day hath passed, I glorify thee, O Master, and I ask that the evening, with the night may be without offence; grant this to me, O Saviour, and save me.
Both now and ever, and unto ages of ages. Amen.
Now that the day hath run its course, I praise thee, O Holy One, and I ask that the evening with the night may be undisturbed; grant this to me, O Saviour, and save me.
Lord, have mercy. (12 times)

A Prayer for Forgiveness
O Lord our God, if during this day I have sinned, whether in word or deed or thought, forgive me all, for thou art good and lovest mankind. Grant me peaceful and undisturbed sleep, and deliver me from all influence and temptation of the evil one. Raise me up again in proper time that I may glorify thee; for thou art blessed: with thine Only-begotten Son and thine All-holy Spirit: now and ever, and unto ages of ages. Amen.

The Creed
I believe in one God, the Father Almighty, Maker of heaven and earth, and of all things visible and invisible;
And in one Lord Jesus Christ, the Son of God, the Only-begotten, Begotten of the Father before all worlds, Light of Light, Very God of Very God, Begotten, not made; of one essence with the Father, by whom all things were made:
Who for us men and for our salvation came down from heaven, and was incarnate of the Holy Spirit and the Virgin Mary, and was made man;
And was crucified also for us under Pontius Pilate, and suffered and was buried;
And the third day He rose again, according to the Scriptures;
And ascended into heaven, and sitteth at the right hand of the Father;
And He shall come again with glory to judge the quick and the dead, Whose kingdom shall have no end.
And I believe in the Holy Spirit, the Lord, and Giver of Life, Who proceedeth from the Father, Who with the Father and the Son together is worshipped and glorified, Who spake by the Prophets;
And I believe in One Holy Catholic and Apostolic Church.
I acknowledge one Baptism for the remission of sins.
I look for the Resurrection of the dead.
And the Life of the world to come. Amen.
O Christ our God, who at all times and in every hour, in heaven and on earth, art worshipped and glorified; who art long-suffering, merciful and compassionate; who lovest the just and showest mercy upon the sinner; who callest all to salvation through the promise of blessings to come; O Lord, in this hour receive our supplications, and direct our lives according to thy commandments. Sanctify our souls, hallow our bodies, correct our thoughts, cleanse our minds; deliver us from all tribulation, evil and distress. Encompass us with thy holy Angels, that guided and guarded by them, we may attain to the unity of the faith and to the knowledge of thine unapproachable glory, for thou art blessed unto ages of ages. Amen.
Here may be added your own private devotions and intercessions, using your own words or the "Occasional Prayers". When you have finished, conclude with this prayer:
Through the prayers of our holy Fathers, Lord Jesus Christ our God, have mercy upon us and save us. Amen.
As you lie down to sleep, say:
Into thy hands, O Lord, I commend my soul and my body. Do thou thyself bless me, have mercy upon me, and grant me life eternal. Amen.

HYMN TO THE THEOTOKOS (From the Liturgy of St. John Chrysostom)
It is truly meet to bless thee, O Theotokos, who art ever blessed and all-blamelesss, and the mother of our God. More honorable than the Cherubim, and more glorious beyond compare than the Seraphim, thou who without stain barest God the Word, and art truly Theotokos: we magnify thee.

THE ANGELIC SALUTATION Hail! Mary, full of grace, the Lord is with thee, O Virgin Theotokos: Blessed art thou among women, and blessed is the fruit of thy womb, for thou hast borne the Saviour of our souls.

A PRAYER OF REPENTANCE O Lord our God, good and merciful, I acknowledge all my sins which I have committed every day of my life, in thought, word and deed; in body and soul alike. I am heartily sorry that I have ever offended thee, and I sincerely repent; with tears I humbly pray thee, O Lord: of thy mercy forgive me all my past transgressions and absolve me from them. I firmly resolve, with the help of Thy Grace, to amend my way of life and to sin no more; that I may walk in the way of the righteous and offer praise and glory to the Name of the Father, Son, and Holy Spirit. Amen.

A PRAYER OF PARENTS FOR THEIR CHILDREN AND FOR RELATIVES AND FRIENDS O God, our heavenly Father, who lovest mankind, and art most merciful and compassionate, have mercy upon thy servants (Name those whom you wish to remember) for whom I humbly pray thee, and commend to thy gracious care and protection. Be thou, O God, their guide and guardian in all their endeavors, lead them in the path of thy truth, and draw them nearer to thee, that they may lead a godly and righteous life in thy love and fear; doing thy will in all things. Give them grace that they may be temperate, industrious, dilligent, devout and charitable. Defend them against the assaults of the enemy, and grant them wisdom and strength to resist all temptation and corruption of this life; and direct them in the way of salvation, through the merits of thy Son, our Saviour Jesus Christ, and the intercessions of his Holy Mother and thy blessed Saints. Amen.

A GENERAL INTERCESSION O Lord Jesus Christ our God, who in thy mercy and all-loving kindness dost regard the prayers of all who call upon thee with their whole heart, incline thine ear and hear my prayer, now humbly offered unto thee: Be mindful, O Lord, of thy Holy Orthodox Catholic and Apostolic Church; confirm and strengthen it, increase it and keep it in peace, and preserve it unconquerable forever; Be mindful, O Lord, of our Metropolitan N., and of every Bishop of the Orthodox; of Priests and Deacons and all the Clergy of thy Church, which thou hast established to feed the flock of the Word; and by their prayers have mercy upon me and save me, a sinner.
Be mindful, O Lord, of all civil Authorities, of our Armed Forces, of this city in which we dwell, and of every city and land; grant us peaceful times, that we may lead a calm and tranquil life in all godliness and sanctity.
Be mindful, O Lord, of my parents, my brothers and sisters, my relatives and friends, and all who are near and dear to me, (name those who you wish to remember), and grant them mercy, life, peace, health, salvation and visitation, and pardon and remission of sins; that they may evermore praise and glorifiy thy holy Name.
Be mindful, O Lord, of those who travel by land, and sea, and air; of the young and the old; orphans and widows; the sick and the suffering; the sorrowing and the afflicted, all captives, and the needy poor; upon them all send forth thy mercies, for thou art the Giver of all good things.
Be mindful, O Lord, of me, thy humble servant; grant me thy grace, that I may be diligent and faithful; that I may avoid evil company and influence, and resist all temptation; that I may lead a godly and righteous life, blameless and peaceful, ever serving thee, that I may be accounted worthy at the last to enter into the Kingdom of Heaven.
Be mindful, O Lord, of all those who have fallen asleep in the hope of resurrection unto life eternal, especially N., NN.; pardon all their transgressions both voluntary and involuntary, whether in word, or deed, or thought. Shelter them in a place of verdure, a place of repose, whence all sickness, sorrow and sighing have fled away, and where the sight of thy countenance rejoiceth all thy Saints from all the ages. Grant them thy heavenly Kingdom, and a portion in thine ineffable and eternal blessings, and the enjoyment of thine unending Life.
Hear my prayer, O Lord, for thou art merciful and compassionate, and lovest mankind, and to thee are due all glory, honor, and worship: to the Father and to the Son, and to the Holy Spirit: now and ever, and unto ages of ages. Amen.

PSALM 50 Have mercy upon me, O God, according to thy great mercy: according to the multitude of thy tender mercies blot out mine iniquity. Wash me thoroughly from mine iniquity, and cleanse me from my sin. For I acknowledge mine iniquity: and my sin is ever before me. Against thee only have I sinned, and done evil in thy sight: that thou mightest be justified in thy words, and prevail when thou art judged. For behold, I was shapen in iniquity: and in sins did my mother conceive me. For behold, thou hast loved truth: the unclear and hidden things of thy wisdom thou hast made clear to me. Thou shalt sprinkle me with hyssop, and I shall be clean: thou shalt wash me, and I shall be whiter than snow. Thou shalt make me to hear joy and gladness: the bones which thou hast broken shall rejoice. Turn away thy face from my sins, and blot out all my iniquities. Create in me a clean heart, O God: and renew a right spirit within me. Cast me not away from thy presence: and take not thy holy spirit from me. Restore unto me the joy of thy salvation: and steady me with thy guiding Spirit. Then will I teach transgressors thy ways: and the impious shall be converted unto thee. Deliver me from blood-guiltiness, O God, thou God of my salvation: and my tongue shall sing aloud of thy righteousness. O Lord, open thou my lips: and my mouth shall declare thy praise. For hadst thou desired sacrifice, I would have given it to thee: thou delightest not in burnt offerings. Sacrifices to God are a contrite spirit: a contrite and humble heart, O God, thou wilt not despise. Do good, O Lord, in thy good will unto Zion: that the walls of Jerusalem may be built up. Then shalt thou be pleased with the sacrifice of righteousness, with burnt offering and whole burnt offerings: then shall they offer bullocks upon thine altar.

Upvote 0

unkern

National Guard
Jun 19, 2008
Indiana
✟16,009.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
We as human could never put God into Logic, He's to big for that. Questioning is one of my biggest drives because it makes me strive to know more about God. The more ive learned the more tender my heart becomes. The best way for me to help you is to give you a start:

Youtube videos on creation:
"Case for a Creator"
"Evidence that demands a verdict"
"Everything is Spiritual"

Youtube on Jesus:
"Case for Christ"

Books on increasing faith:
"Case for Faith"
"Velvet Elvis"

Books on church:
"Revolution in missions"
"Irresistable Revolution"
"Blue like jazz"
"Un-guide to dating"

Books on Character building:
"Captivating"
"5 love languages"

also check out Nooma youtube videos

All you have to do is sincerely ask for guidance from Jesus and he will direct you

Upvote 0

Lukaris

Orthodox Christian
Site Supporter
Aug 3, 2007
Pennsylvania, USA
✟756,069.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Read 1 Corinthians 13 where St. Paul defines love and develop your Christian walk around it, realize the spirit of the world opposes it (ex. Romans 1:28-32), understand many of us Christians fail too, see it in Christians & non Christians, pray the Lord's prayer daily, know Jesus Christ as Lord and saviour,do good where you can (like giving to charity), observe the 10 commandments, & read the Beatitudes & see who our Lord calls "blessed." May you find an assembly of believers that are loving and believe in a sound doctrine. God bless.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

RedTulipMom

Legend
Apr 18, 2004
illinois
✟137,834.00
Faith
Nazarene
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
its all about Jesus and a relationship with him. Dont accept "Christianity"...Accept Christ into your heart and life. Ask him to come live with you and guide you and walk with you. Dont worry about doctrine and other christians right now. your first step is to give your life to Christ and then FOLLOW him. I will be praying for you. God bless.

Upvote 0

salida

Veteran
Jun 14, 2006
✟6,243.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
Well, your head (sin nature-flesh) is in war against your spirit - the part of you God talks to. We all have this. I'm a christian spiritually first and intellectually second. Christianity isn't a bunch of rules - its more like obeying divine type laws which God has had in place throughout eternity. This does come natural after one ask Jesus for the Holy Spirit that gives one the power to live a christian life. Since He created us - He does know better more than we do. Christ died for our sins so that we may have life - the only spiritual remedy for our spiritual death is this. For example, some diseases only have one treatment for them to save ones life in the physical sense. God in all His divine wisdom sent His Son Jesus to save us from spiritual death. (Not just because I said it - but I will guide you intellectually why this is true even though this is a spiritual decision first). This is a life long lifestyle - that we die daily to our flesh by reading the Bible, and praying daily. First read The Evidence That Demands A Verdict by Josh McDowell(it would stand up in a court of law concerning bible). And Examine the Evidence by Muncaster(a former athiest). I have studied other religions also - and other religion or its book remotely compares). The Bible has hundreds of detailed prophesies in it that has come true and more are being fulfilled - this is just one attribute out of many that it could only be written by God. No, it doesn't contradict with good science - I'm a scientist - www.reasons.org. God invented science and its law not man.

Biblical Evidence – This is a very small amount of information
out of large amounts of information out there.

Internal Evidences-Prophesies that are confirmed with Bible;

mentioning only a few – but there are hundreds.

Life of Christ
The Tribe of Judah, Gen. 49:10, Luke 3:23-28
(Genesis was written 4004 BC to 1689 BC)
(Luke’s time period is 60-70 AD)

Royal Line of David, Jer 23:5, Matt 1:1
(Jeremiah 760 to 698 BC)/(Matthew 60-70 AD)

Born of a Virgin, Isaiah 7:14/Matt 1:18-23
(Isaiah 760 to 698 BC)/(60-70 AD)

Rise of Empires
In the book of Daniel, Chapter 2 – four kingdoms are described in the interpretation
of the dream of Nebuchadnezzar the king of Babylon: Babylon, Medo-Persia, Greek – Daniel 8:21, 10:20/ and a fourth great kingdom to follow which was part iron and clay – which is the
Roman Empire – during this empire, Christ came and the church was established – Daniel 2:44.

Historical Accuracy

The Bible is loaded with historical statements concerning events of hundreds of years ago, yet
none of them has been proven to be incorrect.
(Bible compared to other ancient documents)
New Testament – starts at 25 years – between the original and surviving copies
Homer- starts at 500 years/Demosthenes – at 1400 years/Plato – at 1200 years/
Caesar – at 1000 years

Number of Manuscript Copies

New Testament – 5,686/Homer – 643/Demosthenes – 200/Plato – 7/Caesar – 10

Consistency – Written by 40 men over a period of time exceeding 1400 years, and has no
Internal inconsistencies.

Claim of Inspiration- It claims to be spoken by God, 2 Tim 3:16-17). No other religious book makes such claims.

External Evidences

(Prophesies Outside the Bible)
These cities were prophesied to be destroyed and never to be built again- and they haven’t.
Niveveh – Nahum 1:10, 3:7, 15, Zephaniah 2:13-14
Babylon – Isaiah 13:1-22
Tyre -Ezekiel 26:1-28

Bible before Science

He hangs the earth on nothing – Job 26:7
(Job was written at least 1000 years ago – some scholars think it could have been even 3000
years ago)
Note: Man only knew the above for 350 years.
Earth is a sphere – Isaiah 40:22/Air has weight – Job 28:25/
Gravity – Job 26:7, Job 38: 31-33/Winds blow in cyclones, Eccl 1:6

Documents that Prove Bible is True

Gilgamesh Epic, The Sumerian King List, Mari Tablets, Babylonian Chronicles

Archealogical Evidence (Still adding to this list today- it hasn’t stopped)
Excavations of Ur, Location of Zoar, Ziggurats and the foundation of Tower of Babel

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.