• The General Mental Health Forum is now a Read Only Forum. As we had two large areas making it difficult for many to find, we decided to combine the Mental Health & the Recovery sections of the forum into Mental Health & Recovery as a whole. Physical Health still remains as it's own area within the entire Recovery area.

If you are having struggles, need support in a particular area that you aren't finding a specific recovery area forum, you may find the General Struggles forum a great place to post. Any any that is related to emotions, self-esteem, insomnia, anger, relationship dynamics due to mental health and recovery and other issues that don't fit better in another forum would be examples of topics that might go there.

If you have spiritual issues related to a mental health and recovery issue, please use the Recovery Related Spiritual Advice forum. This forum is designed to be like Christian Advice, only for recovery type of issues. Recovery being like a family in many ways, allows us to support one another together. May you be blessed today and each day.

Kristen.NewCreation and FreeinChrist

Come of meds and need help

drummingman

Jun 16, 2007
✟9,106.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I have weened myself off of my ocd meds because of some of the side effects. Can any of you tell me any supplements or herbs or all natural things that i can take that will help me with my ocd? This is very important to me because my ocd has gotten harder to cope with since i have come off my meds. As is my ocd is not awful, but if i can keep it from getting real bad i want to.

Please give me your thougts here as soon as possible. God bless you!

seajoy

Senior Veteran
Jul 5, 2006
michigan
✟19,053.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
I have weened myself off of my ocd meds because of some of the side effects. Can any of you tell me any supplements or herbs or all natural things that i can take that will help me with my ocd? This is very important to me because my ocd has gotten harder to cope with since i have come off my meds. As is my ocd is not awful, but if i can keep it from getting real bad i want to.

Please give me your thougts here as soon as possible. God bless you!
drummingman - what meds were you on and what were your side effects? It is very dangerous to go off meds without a doctor's help in how to do it. I know of no herbs that take the place of ocd meds.

Upvote 0

zingiber

Post nubila, Phoebus
Jan 29, 2008
New Zealand
✟15,373.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
There is a relatively new paper out on the successful use of a multi-mineral/herb/vitamin supplement to treat OCD. The supplement is called empower plus - if you are North American (particularly Canadian!) you may have heard of it in the context of a big court battle. The author of the paper is Dr Julia Rucklidge. She's also a New Zealander. Up with the Kiwis! The paper is free online. It is quite short and very easy to understand - google it! It is at least the second paper detailing the successful use of the supplement for OCDers; however, no big studies have been done yet. The down side of the stuff is that it is very expensive!

It is also interesting in that the OCDer treated was a Christian with bad scrupulosity and religious obsessions. Also, I believe the paper contains some conjectures as to the possible reasons why such a supplement as empower plus would work to combat OCD. I can't wait until further research is done on the topic - it should be really interesting to see if the paper will be backed up!

Last edited:
Upvote 0

drummingman

Jun 16, 2007
✟9,106.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
There is a relatively new paper out on the successful use of a multi-mineral/herb/vitamin supplement to treat OCD. The supplement is called empower plus - if you are North American (particularly Canadian!) you may have heard of it in the context of a big court battle. The author of the paper is Dr Julia Rucklidge. Google it - the paper is free online. It is at least the second paper detailing the successful use of the supplement for OCDers; however, no big studies have been done yet. The down side of the stuff is that it is very expensive!

It is also interesting in that the OCDer treated was a Christian with bad scrupulosity and religious obsessions.

Is this the stuff you are talking about? If so it looks very promising.

Truehope: Take control of your nutrition and mental health

Upvote 0

drummingman

Jun 16, 2007
✟9,106.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
drummingman - what meds were you on and what were your side effects? It is very dangerous to go off meds without a doctor's help in how to do it. I know of no herbs that take the place of ocd meds.
I was on clomipramine. I have decided to go back on my meds as is because of how bad my ocd symptoms have become again.

Upvote 0

seajoy

Senior Veteran
Jul 5, 2006
michigan
✟19,053.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
I was on clomipramine. I have decided to go back on my meds as is because of how bad my ocd symptoms have become again.
I am very happy to hear this. You can now take comfort in the fact that you know this is a chemical imbalance, and not a problem with God. Our Lord is always teaching us things - even in the midst of trouble.

Upvote 0

seajoy

Senior Veteran
Jul 5, 2006
michigan
✟19,053.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
I never thought that it is a problem with God. The Lord really showed me a long time ago that my ocd really is a chemical imbalance.

I called and talked with the people at true hope. I plan on trying their stuff.
Oh my, sorry for my assumptions. It's just that some here don't agree with that, and I've gotten slammed several times for saying it. Please forgive me.

I hope whatever you try works for you.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

drummingman

Jun 16, 2007
✟9,106.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Oh my, sorry for my assumptions. It's just that some here don't agree with that, and I've gotten slammed several times for saying it. Please forgive me.

I hope whatever you try works for you.

Thanks ok. No problem at all.

I must say that since i have gone back on my meds my ocd has been 100% better praise jesus!

Upvote 0