• The General Mental Health Forum is now a Read Only Forum. As we had two large areas making it difficult for many to find, we decided to combine the Mental Health & the Recovery sections of the forum into Mental Health & Recovery as a whole. Physical Health still remains as it's own area within the entire Recovery area.

If you are having struggles, need support in a particular area that you aren't finding a specific recovery area forum, you may find the General Struggles forum a great place to post. Any any that is related to emotions, self-esteem, insomnia, anger, relationship dynamics due to mental health and recovery and other issues that don't fit better in another forum would be examples of topics that might go there.

If you have spiritual issues related to a mental health and recovery issue, please use the Recovery Related Spiritual Advice forum. This forum is designed to be like Christian Advice, only for recovery type of issues. Recovery being like a family in many ways, allows us to support one another together. May you be blessed today and each day.

Kristen.NewCreation and FreeinChrist

Intrusive emotions?

YeshuaShomri

Aug 5, 2023
El Paso
✟10,433.00
Country
United States
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Married
I’ve been battling OCD / intrusive thoughts for the past year. In my desperation I’ve just tried hard to shut off my emotions because of these weird intrusive feelings. Because of my thoughts I began to fear what if I had feelings that agreed with my emotions and today when I saw a picture of Jesus on the cross I felt a weird sensation in my face to laugh and it threw me into a panic. I’m so scared. I don’t want to do that. People only talk about intrusive thoughts but what about emotions or feelings? I’m just so hurt by this please help me I don’t want to lose Jesus or Jesus to turn from me

Chris35

May 27, 2018
Melbourne
✟56,154.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
21From that time on Jesus began to explain to his disciples that he must go to Jerusalem and suffer many things at the hands of the elders, the chief priests and the teachers of the law, and that he must be killed and on the third day be raised to life.

22Peter took him aside and began to rebuke him. “Never, Lord!” he said. “This shall never happen to you!”

23Jesus turned and said to Peter, “Get behind me, Satan! You are a stumbling block to me; you do not have in mind the concerns of God, but merely human concerns."

Here we see Peter rebuking Jesus, and Jesus sees it and rebukes Satan. Now i have experienced fear and panic which has come from the devil.

I believe that Peter was also filled with panic and fear to say these things.

From personal experience yes, he can cause intrusie emotions and intrusive thoughts.

Just the other day i was in a bad place with these things so i decided to just listen to some Christian music. As it waa playing and I was hearing the words i felt totally condemned, as if they were praising God, but all there words were oppisite to me eg. Gods not like that with me, they are Gods children and not me.. ect... i felt like I wanted to turn it off and run.

After about 10 mins of this, something happened, i just stopped listening to the thoughts and the feelings like they just turned off, and i felt this darkness in me get sucked out or something and then i had much joy and good thoughts listening to the music, and praising God, and i realized these things werent from me, but it did take awhile for my heart to open up.

Perhaps listening to Christian music will help you. Just keep resisting the devil and listening untill it stops.

Reactions: YeshuaShomri
Upvote 0

Mari17

Jun 17, 2017
Newport
✟143,212.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I’ve been battling OCD / intrusive thoughts for the past year. In my desperation I’ve just tried hard to shut off my emotions because of these weird intrusive feelings. Because of my thoughts I began to fear what if I had feelings that agreed with my emotions and today when I saw a picture of Jesus on the cross I felt a weird sensation in my face to laugh and it threw me into a panic. I’m so scared. I don’t want to do that. People only talk about intrusive thoughts but what about emotions or feelings? I’m just so hurt by this please help me I don’t want to lose Jesus or Jesus to turn from me
Thank you for reaching out! Your struggles are very typical for someone with OCD, and yes, feelings can be intrusive as well! Are you currently getting any help or support for your OCD?

Upvote 0

amd358

Aug 8, 2023
Midland, Texas
✟8,081.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I understand what you are going through. I will tell you what worked for me: praying God's word back to him. This is what God used to heal me of my terrible/crazy thoughts.

Someone bought me a book on praying scripture, and I started praying to God from the book. Over time, the bad thoughts subsided. The book was written by Beth Moore, but I'm sure it's not the only book on prayers based on scripture.

In case you want to start looking up your own scriptures to pray, I want you to know that the book was broken down into certain areas including idolatry, unbelief, pride, deception, feeling unloved, rejection, addiction, food addiction, guilt, depression, sexual immorality, etc. The author suggested praying from each section -- even if you think you don't need it (for maintenance purposes).

Upvote 0

YeshuaShomri

Aug 5, 2023
El Paso
✟10,433.00
Country
United States
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Married
Thank you for reaching out! Your struggles are very typical for someone with OCD, and yes, feelings can be intrusive as well! Are you currently getting any help or support for your OCD?
Sorry for the late response. Sort of. I am seeing a therapist however we haven’t dealt with the OCD/intrusive thoughts just yet. We are working through some potential past trauma with EMDR therapy. Other than that - just trying to distract myself when things become overwhelming

Upvote 0

YeshuaShomri

Aug 5, 2023
El Paso
✟10,433.00
Country
United States
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Married
I understand what you are going through. I will tell you what worked for me: praying God's word back to him. This is what God used to heal me of my terrible/crazy thoughts.

Someone bought me a book on praying scripture, and I started praying to God from the book. Over time, the bad thoughts subsided. The book was written by Beth Moore, but I'm sure it's not the only book on prayers based on scripture.

In case you want to start looking up your own scriptures to pray, I want you to know that the book was broken down into certain areas including idolatry, unbelief, pride, deception, feeling unloved, rejection, addiction, food addiction, guilt, depression, sexual immorality, etc. The author suggested praying from each section -- even if you think you don't need it (for maintenance purposes).
Woah! Someone just recommended me the other day to try to pray the Bible and how it helped him. His thing was that our prayers can become so self focused and self centered which isn’t all that bad (like praying God would heal me, fix this, or that etc) and said when he went through the book on praying the Scripture it gave him a new perspective. I may need to look into this. I would love to know how exactly it helped you?

Upvote 0