May 2, 2006
Knoxville, TN
✟12,273.00
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Single
How does one combat severe loneliness?

I know that one's initial answer may be "God." OK then... how? God is our Rock, we can cling to Him, He doesn't change, etc. I know this. No matter how it's dressed up in fancy rhetoric, it doesn't help. I don't want just some trite platitudes for an answer.

How does one endure and fight severe loneliness? It could involve the lack of marriage, a best friend... whatever. When there isn't someone there who really knows you and who really loves you, who you can hear and touch and share in their issues and problems, too... Just. I dunno.

gzt

The age of the Earth is 4.54 ± 0.07 billion years
Jul 14, 2004
Abolish ICE
Visit site
✟118,125.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
One thing that helps is friends. Really. And social activity. Play a sport, pick up a hobby, learn chess, hang out with gamers, get into the local music scene, it really does help. It'll help, too, when you go to college, because outside of the dorms (my school had a very active house culture that encouraged such things), the clubs and such was where I - and most of the people I knew - made the most of friends.

Upvote 0

AureateDawn

Love & Peace
May 2, 2006
Knoxville, TN
✟12,273.00
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Single
I have friends. But I mean.... real friends. Or like, the friend that you share so much with. My best friend just left me, I'm looking forward to an undeniably unmarried future, my school friends are Ok but are atheist/neopagan, and my church friends, while great, we just don't go that deep...

Edit: "just left" was like... a month and a half ago. Further, my SF is moving. He was the other person I could talk to, but about a month and a half ago, he, also, has been 100% unavailable and is moving form Tennessee way out to Kansas...

Upvote 0

Breaking Babylon

Who is this King of glory?
Site Supporter
Jan 1, 2006
West Virginia
✟58,374.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
I'd recommend spending some time doing volunteer work for the poor and needy. Give yourself to others, instead of wanting others for yourself, and I think you'll find a little peace.

Sorry I can't be more helpful. To me it's always been a bit different, people get close, and I become friends with them, but at the end of the day I find myself thinking of my Patron's words: "Be friends with all men, but in your mind remain alone." -- St. Isaac the Syrian. To me, this is easy, and natural, and apparently to you it is much different... you have the need to share a part of yourself with others and have that deep connection, while I'm the type who needs to continually know himself and spend time in thought and silence, alone. That said, take what I'm about to say with a grain of salt, because I don't really know what it's like to walk in your shoes.

I think that you are trying to fill a "God-shaped hole" inside of you with externals, such as friendship. I also think you are painting a picture of what you want God to be, while not taking steps to become who God would have you be. You are allowing yourself to be a victim of circumstance, and I'm tired of seeing you get beat down day in and day out because you won't grow a bit of backbone and stand up and take what is yours to have, for Christ freely gives. What you should focus on is creating that relationship you are looking for in Him, and according to His standards, and not your own. It is not a Valentines day picnic, it is not a physical fantasy of hugs and smiles, it is a spiritual reality, where God comes and dwells within men who seek Him with all their heart.

The Church has shown man the way since Pentecost. You have been a catechumen long enough to know the prayers, read a couple books, some lives of the Saints, build a prayer corner, etc. Rather than saying woe is me at every opportunity that arises, ask for the ability to thank God for these circumstances, for salvation is impossible without trials and temptations. We are made in the image of God, we are one, and we are three: mind, body, and spirit. Subject your mind to the teachings of the Church, bend your body in prostrations and labors for your fellow man, considering yourself the least of them, and strive to purify your heart. Every day. Expecting nothing. Do this because you love God, and desire a close relationship with Him, not because you expect Him to meet you for dinner and a movie. Ask yourself how often you stand in front of your prayer corner attentively, and ask yourself how attentive you are to television. Ask yourself how often you give to others, and ask yourself how often you overeat. Ask yourself how often you think of God, and ask yourself how often you think of yourself. May God grant that it shakes you to your very core -- and indeed, all of us.

Your posts have a common theme: Me, me, me -- my, my, my -- now, now, now. Stop that. Let these be the meditation of your heart: "As Your love allows, Lord." "Glory to God for all things." This isn't sunshine Christianity, and as Father Seraphim Rose said, Christianity promises nothing but the cross. It can be very hard, because we are very sinful, but with the grace of God and our cooperation with Him on the path, we see how light is the path, how easy is the burden, how liberating is this cross... we may begin to bear it with gladness, knowing that even if death is our destination, even as the Son of Man had to die, our promise is the Resurrection -- and that is worth more than a close relationship.

Allow Jesus to be who you share all with. Form a closeness and lifelong bond with your spiritual father. That is more important, because, honestly Justin, what good is some kind of close friend if you are currently your worst enemy?

I desire you to have that relationship with the Lord Jesus more than you know. I, along with many others here and on DC pray for you always, but you have to bear one thing in mind, that St Anthony the Great once said to a despondent brother to rouse him from his spiritual slumber: "No, I will not pray for you, it does no good if you are not also praying for yourself." (quoted from memory)

God is God. He does not change. He is not simply who you want Him to be. You have potential because He is near to the broken-hearted, but you rob yourself of it if you do not turn to Him and endlessly seek external things. God dwells within the heart of man, and I assure you He is our Comforter, you just need to do your part. Ask yourself what you will say at the Judgment, "I was never close to you because you wouldn't give me a hug?" "You are not as meaningful as a close friendship would have been to me?" How foolish. None other could have taken your sins and nailed them to a cross forever. No other can restore your humanity and make you whole. No other promises you an eternal life, without pain, sorrow, or sighing, in exchange for giving Him your heart while in this quickly-passing and fleeting world.

You need to start trying.

Upvote 0

tekiahteruah

Sep 18, 2007
✟7,985.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
I hope you're still going to therapy, Justin. Sometimes it takes a while to find the right therapist, but when you find one that works for you, it can really help with understanding why you think and feel the way you do.

I wouldn't feel bad for your "me me me" thing mentioned by Breaking Babylon. For those who haven't struggled with serious depression, it can be hard to understand what it is like, and how it can isolate you and paralyze you from feeling anything else.

Depression is unfair and stupid, and something you can't control. But there are people who can help with it. And you are never alone.

Upvote 0

Breaking Babylon

Site Supporter
Jan 1, 2006
West Virginia
✟58,374.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
Not entirely true, Tekiah -- I was treated for unipolar depression and anxiety disorder with therapy and medication, none of which helped, until I knew the Lord.

I understand there are gray areas and it is not all black and white, but I do understand how Justin feels, and nothing is as therapeutic as Orthodoxy. Even if Justin needs both therapy and the Church, we can't undermine the importance of good spiritual grounding.

Upvote 0

tekiahteruah

Sep 18, 2007
✟7,985.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Forgive me for presuming about your history. However, as someone who has had episodes of depression both before and after converting to Orthodoxy, I know that sometimes it can be hard to express to people that you still love God and God's Church while still being plagued with feelings of loneliness and despair. In any case, Justin, know that there are many people praying for you.

Upvote 0

Giantsbran1227

The Sinner.
Feb 18, 2008
USA
Visit site
✟16,432.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
I'd recommend spending some time doing volunteer work for the poor and needy. Give yourself to others, instead of wanting others for yourself, and I think you'll find a little peace.

Sorry I can't be more helpful. To me it's always been a bit different, people get close, and I become friends with them, but at the end of the day I find myself thinking of my Patron's words: "Be friends with all men, but in your mind remain alone." -- St. Isaac the Syrian. To me, this is easy, and natural, and apparently to you it is much different... you have the need to share a part of yourself with others and have that deep connection, while I'm the type who needs to continually know himself and spend time in thought and silence, alone. That said, take what I'm about to say with a grain of salt, because I don't really know what it's like to walk in your shoes.

I think that you are trying to fill a "God-shaped hole" inside of you with externals, such as friendship. I also think you are painting a picture of what you want God to be, while not taking steps to become who God would have you be. You are allowing yourself to be a victim of circumstance, and I'm tired of seeing you get beat down day in and day out because you won't grow a bit of backbone and stand up and take what is yours to have, for Christ freely gives. What you should focus on is creating that relationship you are looking for in Him, and according to His standards, and not your own. It is not a Valentines day picnic, it is not a physical fantasy of hugs and smiles, it is a spiritual reality, where God comes and dwells within men who seek Him with all their heart.

The Church has shown man the way since Pentecost. You have been a catechumen long enough to know the prayers, read a couple books, some lives of the Saints, build a prayer corner, etc. Rather than saying woe is me at every opportunity that arises, ask for the ability to thank God for these circumstances, for salvation is impossible without trials and temptations. We are made in the image of God, we are one, and we are three: mind, body, and spirit. Subject your mind to the teachings of the Church, bend your body in prostrations and labors for your fellow man, considering yourself the least of them, and strive to purify your heart. Every day. Expecting nothing. Do this because you love God, and desire a close relationship with Him, not because you expect Him to meet you for dinner and a movie. Ask yourself how often you stand in front of your prayer corner attentively, and ask yourself how attentive you are to television. Ask yourself how often you give to others, and ask yourself how often you overeat. Ask yourself how often you think of God, and ask yourself how often you think of yourself. May God grant that it shakes you to your very core -- and indeed, all of us.

Your posts have a common theme: Me, me, me -- my, my, my -- now, now, now. Stop that. Let these be the meditation of your heart: "As Your love allows, Lord." "Glory to God for all things." This isn't sunshine Christianity, and as Father Seraphim Rose said, Christianity promises nothing but the cross. It can be very hard, because we are very sinful, but with the grace of God and our cooperation with Him on the path, we see how light is the path, how easy is the burden, how liberating is this cross... we may begin to bear it with gladness, knowing that even if death is our destination, even as the Son of Man had to die, our promise is the Resurrection -- and that is worth more than a close relationship.

Allow Jesus to be who you share all with. Form a closeness and lifelong bond with your spiritual father. That is more important, because, honestly Justin, what good is some kind of close friend if you are currently your worst enemy?

I desire you to have that relationship with the Lord Jesus more than you know. I, along with many others here and on DC pray for you always, but you have to bear one thing in mind, that St Anthony the Great once said to a despondent brother to rouse him from his spiritual slumber: "No, I will not pray for you, it does no good if you are not also praying for yourself." (quoted from memory)

God is God. He does not change. He is not simply who you want Him to be. You have potential because He is near to the broken-hearted, but you rob yourself of it if you do not turn to Him and endlessly seek external things. God dwells within the heart of man, and I assure you He is our Comforter, you just need to do your part. Ask yourself what you will say at the Judgment, "I was never close to you because you wouldn't give me a hug?" "You are not as meaningful as a close friendship would have been to me?" How foolish. None other could have taken your sins and nailed them to a cross forever. No other can restore your humanity and make you whole. No other promises you an eternal life, without pain, sorrow, or sighing, in exchange for giving Him your heart while in this quickly-passing and fleeting world.

QFT.

Justin you should print this post out and read it every day.

Upvote 0

Monica child of God 1

strives to live eschatologically
Feb 4, 2005
✟9,473.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Breaking Babylon's post is spot on.

Can I suggest something else that I have suggested to you before? Read the Gospels and the Psalms regularly. Especially when you feel lonely. They really help to put things in perspective. Even in loneliness you are not alone.

M.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

rusmeister

A Russified American Orthodox Chestertonian
Dec 9, 2005
Eastern Europe
Visit site
✟435,670.00
Country
Montenegro
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
BreakingBabylon's post is right on, Justin. If you take that to heart, you'll quickly notice a change in attitudes in yourself, as well as others' towards you. You might even be of real help to us. God knows I'm in the middle of struggles, passions, and hard things - living more-or-less permanently in Russia is not a picnic, and generally I need kicks in the butt to stop things like self-pity more than I need hugs, and by lifting yourself up to that level, you might be of help to me - BB's post touched on things that I'm still struggling with, and I find it helpful.

A general danger of any kind of therapy, psycho or otherwise, is that if the therapist does not share Orthodoxy, then the thing that shapes his worldview and therefore his therapy is liable to lead you away from it. Therapy, for my money, is 98% a modern concept that simply replaces things like friends and priests/spiritual fathers. (Note I said 98% - the trouble is, everyone generally considers themselves not only as exceptional, but as one of the exceptions, and part of that 2%.)

Upvote 0

AureateDawn

Love & Peace
May 2, 2006
Knoxville, TN
✟12,273.00
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Single
To me it's always been a bit different, people get close, and I become friends with them, but at the end of the day I find myself thinking of my Patron's words: "Be friends with all men, but in your mind remain alone." -- St. Isaac the Syrian. To me, this is easy, and natural, and apparently to you it is much different... you have the need to share a part of yourself with others and have that deep connection, while I'm the type who needs to continually know himself and spend time in thought and silence, alone. That said, take what I'm about to say with a grain of salt, because I don't really know what it's like to walk in your shoes.

No, you don't know what it's like.

I don't get that quote at all. Can you explain it more? That is so.... ridiculous sounding from what little I got out of it. We are supposed to connect to one another and share our lives with one another. We are built for community and knowing one another.

Also - how is it fair that you can know your own self with silence, etc. because that's just "you", but I can't have a deep connection with another person even though that's just "me"?

Are you assuming I'm not?..... Cause I am. It's just really hard to fight alone when the most important people in your life decide to abandon you (whether willfully, as in one particular case, or circumstantial, as with some others in my life, or who were in my life).

Upvote 0

Orthosdoxa

Happy wife and mommy
Feb 11, 2003
nowhere
✟24,016.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Justin, are you going to go to college? I never made REAL deep friends until I went to college. Everything in high school was just... meh. Make a plan for college and live on campus, and throw yourself into the social scene within the first couple of weeks, when EVERYONE is looking for friends - after a few weeks, people are most established with friends and it's harder to "break in", though of course can be done.

Upvote 0

Breaking Babylon

Site Supporter
Jan 1, 2006
West Virginia
✟58,374.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
JustinHesychast said:
Also - how is it fair that you can know your own self with silence, etc. because that's just "you", but I can't have a deep connection with another person even though that's just "me"?
I never said you couldn't. I was just telling you to get your priorities straight -- all the friends in the world are incomparable to Christ. Don't prioritize them higher than the Lord.

Are you assuming I'm not?..... Cause I am.
I'm just going by what you've told me, personally, not too long ago. It's really none of my business, though.

As for the quote being ridiculous, well, I'm no one to give a dissertation on the writings of St. Isaac the Syrian, all I know is it echoes true to me, within my own heart.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

ArmyMatt

Site Supporter
Jan 26, 2007
Earth
✟1,466,914.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Breaking Babylon is dead on my man.

my preist told me that when we are looking for relationship with others, our idea should be, "whenever, where ever, if ever Your love allows."

God talks to all of us Justin, the problem is most of us don't listen. most times when we come to pray, WE do all the talking. it should really be the other way around. still yourself, quiet yourself, and let God speak to you. let Him tell you what He wants from you.

Upvote 0

tekiahteruah

Sep 18, 2007
✟7,985.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Justin, are you going to go to college? I never made REAL deep friends until I went to college. Everything in high school was just... meh. Make a plan for college and live on campus, and throw yourself into the social scene within the first couple of weeks, when EVERYONE is looking for friends - after a few weeks, people are most established with friends and it's harder to "break in", though of course can be done.

I agree with this. My friendships in high school can't even be compared to my friendships in college.

Upvote 0

tekiahteruah

Sep 18, 2007
✟7,985.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Also, I don't think that therapy is so completely wedded to worldview/phronema as others are saying-- my therapist, anyway, doesn't really say much at all except to point out trends in my thoughts and behaviors (especially in regards to OCD). Sometimes just being able to talk with someone with whom you don't have a significant relationship (friend/spiritual director/etc.) is important. I have intellectual and spiritual direction in my life, but also someone trained to treat OCD and depression, which many priests may not feel adequate to approach.

Upvote 0

NyssaTheHobbit

Orthodox Christian (chrismation date 1/10/09)
May 24, 2006
Fond du Lac, Wisconsin
Visit site
✟9,617.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat

I know that one's initial answer may be "God." OK then... how? God is our Rock, we can cling to Him, He doesn't change, etc. I know this. No matter how it's dressed up in fancy rhetoric, it doesn't help. I don't want just some trite platitudes for an answer.

How does one endure and fight severe loneliness? It could involve the lack of marriage, a best friend... whatever. When there isn't someone there who really knows you and who really loves you, who you can hear and touch and share in their issues and problems, too... Just. I dunno.

I recently had to deal with this. I've been married for years, but my shyness, graduation, church changes and job changes kept leaving me without friends nearby, so I felt very lonely. No matter what your marital status, you need friends! But I've been getting more involved in my church, my recent chrismation seems to have given me a spot in the church's tight-knit family, and hubby and I have been working on getting involved in the SCA again. That and a friend I made over the Internet turned into a real-life friend who moved here and lives just a couple of blocks away from us. We're always getting together with him and his family. I'm so not used to having people to socialize with that I have to keep reminding myself, I'm not lonely anymore!

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.