Cohen Sentenced to 3 Years

KCfromNC

Apr 18, 2007
✟486,928.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
It's more than his extramarital pursuits. The way these scandals are paradded endlessly smothers the actual issue we should really be better informed about.

I'm not so sure. From what I've seen, they're generally reported as part of "The Trump administration is seriously corrupt" line of discussion. That is, people who oppose him in general aren't all that concerned with who he married this time, but more that he lied about paying to cover up affairs during the election - i.e. potentially conspiring to violate campaign finance laws. Or that there's some questionable immigration stuff related to his in-laws which seems interesting compared to his claimed stances on immigration. Or any of a number of events which indicate that Trump is lying about breaking the law.

The fact that some of it happens to also show him in a bad light for his more morality-based followers is a nice side effect, but administration members repeatedly breaking the law is something we need to be informed about.

Yeah, I get that Trump is also responsible for some pretty poorly thought out policy - but to be honest, that didn't really hurt his popularity during the campaign. Exposing the corruption in his administration to moderates / swing voters and his moral failings to his morality-based supporters seems to be a better tactic to eroding the support that barely got him elected - and is possibly a better tactic for stopping his plans. At least compared to pointing out how poorly thought out his policy plans are.

I think we are in the final stages of a highly politicised court system. Cohen apparently was guilty of tax fraud, that's a nasty one, Federal Courts are known to be vindictive. I just wonder if he would have been found out had he never gotten involved with Trump or brokered the deal that was paraded endlessly in the TV media. I imagine Manifort and a host of others wonder the same thing.

I'm not sure what this has to do with courts being politicized, but getting involved with a highly public organization while also trying to keep a bunch of crimes hidden seem like a Bad Plan(tm) to me. Nothing politicized about it, just dumb criminals doing dumb things.

• Winner
Reactions: DaisyDay
Upvote 0

Nithavela

our world is happy and mundane
Apr 14, 2007
Comb. Pizza Hut and Taco Bell/Jamaica Avenue.
✟493,720.00
Country
Germany
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Single

On a more serious note, what is the matter with that order not to communicate with the media? Is that something usual? Maybe the government excerted some pressure to block yet another "tell-all".

Upvote 0