Country
United States
Faith
Unitarian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
The Hill's 12:30 Report — Cohen gets three years in prison | Fallout from Oval Office clash | House GOP eyes vote on $5B for wall

theHill said:
Michael Cohen is sentenced to 3 years in prison:

President Trump's former lawyer Michael Cohen has been sentenced to serve 36 months in federal prison for a series of crimes he committed while working for Trump. I.e.: Cohen was Trump's personal "fixer." Cohen sentenced to three years in prison

What about Cohen allegedly lying to Congress?: "Judge sentenced him to 2 months for lying to Congress, to be served concurrently to 36-month sentence." I.e.: No additional time. Nicole Fuller on Twitter

DaisyDay

I Did Nothing Wrong!! ~~Team Deep State
Jan 7, 2003
Finger Lakes
✟12,518.00
Country
United States
Faith
Unitarian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Michael Cohen Sentenced to 3 Years After Implicating Trump in Hush-Money Scandal
NYT said:
Federal agents raided Mr. Cohen’s office and home in April, and he later turned on Mr. Trump, making the remarkable admission in court that Mr. Trump had directed him to arrange the payments.

Mr. Trump at first denied knowing anything about the payments, but then acknowledged that he had known about them. This week, he insisted that the payments were “a simple private transaction” — not election-related spending subject to campaign-finance laws.

He also maintained that even if the hush-money payments were campaign transactions in violation of election regulations, that should be considered only a civil offense, not a criminal one.
Donald says he didn't do what Cohen said he did, but if he did do it, it was only a civil violation.

Upvote 0

evoeth

Man trying to figure things out
Mar 5, 2014
✟130,622.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
NYT:
The Southern District depicted him as deceitful and greedy and unwilling to fully cooperate with its investigation. It said it declined to sign Mr. Cohen as a formal cooperator because he refused to discuss fully any crimes in his past or crimes by others that he was aware of — its policy for witnesses who seek to cooperate.

Trump's guy just went down for covering for other Trump crimes and not so much as a Thank You from Trump.

What a heel.

Upvote 0

mark kennedy

Natura non facit saltum
Site Supporter
Mar 16, 2004
Indianapolis, IN
✟549,630.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
let that be a lesson to you, never pay off a inappropriate content star for a future President. Oh, and if you do be carefull who you lie to about it. Just wondering, can't they sue Stormy Daniels for disclosing something she agreed not to?

Upvote 0

camille70

Site Supporter
Mar 4, 2007
Ohio
Visit site
✟606,200.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
let that be a lesson to you, never pay off a inappropriate content star for a future President. Oh, and if you do be carefull who you lie to about it. Just wondering, can't they sue Stormy Daniels for disclosing something she agreed not to?

They went to court to get the disclosure agreement voided. Her lawyer at the time was working with Trump and Cohen against her and I think some of the language or the signatures were invalid. Trumps name wasn't signed it was that pseudonym he uses, and something about his lawyer not being able to enter or sign on his behalf. I don't remember how it turned out or if it's ongoing. Initially they just wanted her released from the agreement, but then they filed more charges for slander when Trump called her a liar. Eventually they came back and wanted to give her what she wanted, but either it was too late because of the other charges filed or Stormy was forced to accept the release and an agreement to pay back the cash. I forget which and am not able to search to figure it out now. I think there is still some sort of case going on because Avenatti mentions it from time to time on his Twitter timeline.

• Informative
Reactions: mark kennedy
Upvote 0

Handmaid for Jesus

You can't steal my joy
Site Supporter
Dec 19, 2010
enroute
✟1,405,186.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
Ch]
They went to court to get the disclosure agreement voided. Her lawyer at the time was working with Trump and Cohen against her and I think some of the language or the signatures were invalid. Trumps name wasn't signed it was that pseudonym he uses, and something about his lawyer not being able to enter or sign on his behalf. I don't remember how it turned out or if it's ongoing. Initially they just wanted her released from the agreement, but then they filed more charges for slander when Trump called her a liar. Eventually they came back and wanted to give her what she wanted, but either it was too late because of the other charges filed or Stormy was forced to accept the release and an agreement to pay back the cash. I forget which and am not able to search to figure it out now. I think there is still some sort of case going on because Avenatti mentions it from time to time on his Twitter timeline.
Cohen will probably do a few months then get probation for the rest of the time.

Upvote 0

Aldebaran

NCC-1701-A
Christian Forums Staff
Purple Team - Moderator
Site Supporter
Oct 17, 2009
Wisconsin, United States of America
✟652,767.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single

She should at least have to pay back whatever money she took in that agreement. It's strange how she could accept all that money in exchange for silence, and then turn around and be instrumental in getting the guy who paid her put in prison for 3 years, and yet she gets to keep the money.

Upvote 0

camille70

Site Supporter
Mar 4, 2007
Ohio
Visit site
✟606,200.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Ch]

Cohen will probably do a few months then get probation for the rest of the time.

I think he is going to do at least two years. They are wanting to make an example out of him, and they have bigger fish they want to go after for similar crimes. It makes no sense that people directing or benefiting from his actions would get less time. SDNY wasn't impressed with him, but I think he is going to become a lot more helpful and get the 3 years reduced. He also got 2 mos in relation to charges with the special counsel, but they are being served concurrently.

Edit: I was mistaken. The two months was for lying to congress.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Aldebaran

NCC-1701-A
Christian Forums Staff
Purple Team - Moderator
Site Supporter
Oct 17, 2009
✟652,767.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
I bet Trump is giving him a substantial back hander for taking the rap.

The biggest backhander would be to not pardon him. He may have done that if Cohen hadn't turned. It's hard to tell if Cohen ended up revealing things against Trump that were true, or if he was telling the prosecution what they wanted to hear in order to reduce or eliminate his sentence. It's really no different than using torture to get information out of someone. Sometimes the tortured person will say what the torturer wants to hear. Same for the one facing prison time--unless they "cooperate".

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Go Braves

I miss Senator McCain
May 18, 2017
Atlanta
✟15,568.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Republican
She should at least have to pay back whatever money she took in that agreement. It's strange how she could accept all that money in exchange for silence, and then turn around and be instrumental in getting the guy who paid her put in prison for 3 years, and yet she gets to keep the money.

She offered to do just that in exchange for being released from the hush agreement.

Upvote 0

camille70

Site Supporter
Mar 4, 2007
Ohio
Visit site
✟606,200.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
The biggest backhander would be to not pardon him. He may have done that if Cohen hadn't turned. It's hard to tell if Cohen ended up revealing things against Trump that were true, or if he was telling the prosecution what they wanted to hear in order to reduce or eliminate his sentence. It's really no different than using torture to get information out of someone. Sometimes the tortured person will say what the torturer wants to hear. Same for the one facing prison time--unless they "cooperate".

So you expect me to believe he was just saying what the prosecutors wanted to hear to avoid jail time? Does he also possess a time machine to go back and create transactions, documents and paper trails to go along with said commentary?

Upvote 0

Go Braves

I miss Senator McCain
May 18, 2017
Atlanta
✟15,568.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Republican
I bet Trump is giving him a substantial back hander for taking the rap.

Doubt it. Trump went from singing praise about Cohen to all but pulling his britches down & crapping on him.

Upvote 0

Aldebaran

NCC-1701-A
Christian Forums Staff
Purple Team - Moderator
Site Supporter
Oct 17, 2009
✟652,767.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
She offered to do just that in exchange for being released from the hush agreement.

Offered? Was her offer accepted? Did she end up paying it back so she could do what she ended up doing?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Go Braves

I miss Senator McCain
May 18, 2017
Atlanta
✟15,568.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Republican
Offered? Was her offer accepted? Did she end up paying it back so she could do what she ended up doing?

It was offered on the condition that she be released from the hush agreement, Aldebaran.

Upvote 0

TLK Valentine

I've already read the books you want burned.
Apr 15, 2012
Behind the 8-ball, but ahead of the curve.
✟541,512.00
Country
United States
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single

Silence about what? Doesn't Donald still swear nothing happened?

Upvote 0

TLK Valentine

I've already read the books you want burned.
Apr 15, 2012
Behind the 8-ball, but ahead of the curve.
✟541,512.00
Country
United States
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
The biggest backhander would be to not pardon him. He may have done that if Cohen hadn't turned.

Indeed -- Donald prefers loyal criminals in his employment.

It's hard to tell if Cohen ended up revealing things against Trump that were true, or if he was telling the prosecution what they wanted to hear in order to reduce or eliminate his sentence.

How hard can it be? They figured out he was lying the first time...

It's really no different than using torture to get information out of someone. Sometimes the tortured person will say what the torturer wants to hear. Same for the one facing prison time--unless they "cooperate".

Ironic, considering that Donald supports torture, but is against cooperating with the authorities.

Upvote 0

Sparagmos

Oct 19, 2018
Portland, Oregon
✟278,062.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
The filings on Cohen say his claims were corroborated by other evidence. From what I hear Cohen might have been required to provide the leads on the corroboration himself. A good prosecutor would never rest their case on uncorroboted witness statements.

Upvote 0

KCfromNC

Apr 18, 2007
✟486,928.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Just a reminder - in addition to being Trump's personal attorney this is also ex-RNC Deputy Finance Chair going to federal prison for campaign finance violations.

Lots of swamp-draining in the past week or so.

Upvote 0