• Welcome to Christian Forums
  1. Welcome to Christian Forums, a forum to discuss Christianity in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

2. The forums in the Christian Congregations category are now open only to Christian members. Please review our current Faith Groups list for information on which faith groups are considered to be Christian faiths. Christian members please remember to read the Statement of Purpose threads for each forum within Christian Congregations before posting in the forum.

CNN article: Marriage doesn't make you happy

Discussion in 'Singles (Only*)' started by Huldrych, Mar 19, 2003.

1. Huldrych

Huldrych Kein typischer Amerikaner

+1
    Christian
    Caught my eye when I read it a few days ago.

WASHINGTON (Reuters) -- Most newlyweds experience a brief emotional bounce after their wedding, but they eventually return to the same outlook they had on life before they tied the knot, according to a study released Sunday.

You can read it in its entirety here .

The opening line sums up the whole article pretty well. It's funny, because I hear pastors say the same thing, as well as nudgings in the Spirit when I start thinking that I'm "unfulfilled" because I'm still single.

jth

We teamed up with Faith Counseling. Can they help you today?
  2. RayNay714

RayNay714 Worshiper and Seeker

+0
    Christian
    Single
    I saw this on television the other day. There was a movie several years ago called the seven year itch which was saying that after seven years you start looking around for someone else...well on this report it was mentioned that it is now a two year itch. People get married believing that it will make them happy, when the thing is we have to be satisfied with ourselves and on our own before we can even think about joining our lives with someone else. If you can't like yourself, than what makes you believe that anybody else would want to live with you.

Jess

3. wvmtnkid

wvmtnkid Order of the Candle

+148
    Methodist
    Single
    US-Republican
    I agree, Jess. Marriage isn't the answer to all of a single person's problems. Truth be told, it probably causes some! By that I mean that marriage comes with it's own set of different circumstances and problems. I heartily agree that you shouldn't use marriage to make you happy if you already aren't. You are than depending on a human being to do something only God can.

4. DeputyDan

DeputyDan Member

+1
    Marriage does not fix most problems and can create a whole new set.

5. Huldrych

Huldrych Kein typischer Amerikaner

+1
    Christian
    So I guess the jury has reached a sort of consensus: you need to be fulfilled before you get married. Better put: you need to be fulfilling (as in presently pursuing something, or in our case as believers, some One) before the vows.

jth

6. JoieDeVivre

JoieDeVivre Saved By Grace

+0
    Christian
    I've always said I'd rather be single and happy than married and miserable.

People who jump into matrimony believing in happily-ever-afters are in for a big surprise. Marriage doesn't guarantee you'll never feel lonely or sad or unfulfilled. Your partner won't be there to fill all the voids in your life. I think some people go into marriage with unrealistic expectations. And when these expectations aren't met, disatisfaction arises.

I didn't agree with Jerry Maguire when he said, "You complete me." No man or woman can ever do that. Only Christ can.

7. Lbiagm

Lbiagm US Navy Supporter

+459
    Non-Denom
    Married
    US-Republican
    You need to marry the One God Gives you not the one that you want to because most marriages of people aged 20-25 end in divorce.

8. MsAnne

MsAnne :)

+305
    Protestant
    Private
    It's true. "Marriage" does not make you happy.

But imagine the benefits marriage has to offer - If you are fortunate enough to be with THAT person. The one you cherish and respect like no other. The one you enjoy just being with. The one who makes you smile like a ditz in the middle of your work day.

Marriage allows you to come home to that person every night. What could be better?

9. RayNay714

RayNay714 Worshiper and Seeker

+0
    Christian
    Single
    I think the point here is not that marriage is a bad thing, but that marriage for the sake of marriage is not right. And these days (I am speaking mostly of non-believers) people get married because it is expected, they've lived with each other long enough that they might as well, or they think it will solve their problems. The point of this thread (at least in my mind's eye) was to discuss this phenomenon among our generation.

Jess

10. Lbiagm

Lbiagm US Navy Supporter

+459
    Non-Denom
    Married
    US-Republican
    I agree with RayNay.

11. Glenn316

Glenn316 The Midnight Shift

+8
    Baptist
    Married
    US-Republican
    I always thought it was 1/2 + 1/2 = 1
    but God does not make half people.

then
    1 + 1 = 1

but as Christians
    1 + 1 = 3 with Jesus:)

12. hotknikkels

hotknikkels ™Barbarian Christian™

+5
    Christian
    You will never find true happiness in a spouse - you will only find that in God.

Ecclesiastes 2:26
    To the man who pleases him, God gives wisdom, knowledge and happiness, but to the sinner he gives the task of gathering and storing up wealth to hand it over to the one who pleases God. This too is meaningless, a chasing after the wind.

Isaiah 25:9
    In that day they will say, "Surely this is our God; we trusted in him, and he saved us. This is the LORD , we trusted in him; let us rejoice and be glad in his salvation."

13. Talmid HaYarok

Talmid HaYarok Active Member

+8
    Messianic
    Genesis 2:23-24

1st Corinthians 7:1-2

Emphasis mine of course. A great marriage is a wonderous thing, the only problem is the way people view it. A good marriage is a symptom of a joyful life and not the cure for ones ills. Getting married to make yourself happy is like taking medicine which only addresses your symptoms and not the disease. You feel a little better not being plagued by the symptoms of disease, but inside the disease is still eating you up and it will be worse for it in the end.

My $.02 worth from yet another single guy.

14. Talmid HaYarok

Talmid HaYarok Active Member

+8
    Messianic
    Oh, and its not 1+1 which makes you whole. Its 1+1+1 which = 1.

G-d is complete in the Trinity and in some kind of similar way so are we. The Lord designed me to need both him and a Wife to be complete. Without BOTH I am not complete, though incomplete does not mean ruined. Yet all the same I'd rather be complete.

Man please thy maker and be merry,

and give not for this world a cherry.

15. pace

pace Regular Member

+1
    Agnostic
    Matthew, 19:12

- For there are eunuchs, that were so born from their mother`s womb: and there are eunuchs, that were made eunuchs by men: and there are eunuchs, that made themselves eunuchs for the kingdom of heaven`s sake. He that is able to receive it, let him receive it.

16. pinPoint

pinPoint Member

+1
    Christian
    rushing is also part of it since the society keeps nudging you about love and relationships. others dont even know what Love is... its so sad that Divorce has to be the outcome. But one thing I know is that I despise Divorce! I would rather not get married at all! Even though its going to be lonely, maybe that would make me hang around Jesus alot more because of it. I did not know about Divorce until 5 years ago neither would I want to participate in one. just my two cents.

pin

17. Exodus

Exodus New Member

+0
    I hear a lot of ladies say that the one thing that would make them happy next to being Saved is getting married. I also thought that was true, although I (also as a guy) have been more pessimistic about marriage than most.

18. Mother Vashti

Mother Vashti Veteran

+64
    Anabaptist
    This thread seems to have a negative tone towards marriage, but, um, I think it's a good thing. I do believe that men and women complete each other, and that God intended this (Mt 19:5). Every person needs to love and be loved, and that is the point of marriage, spiritually-gauged.

19. smacky ramone

smacky ramone Guest

+0
    I believe marriage will solve all my problems. Who cares about "studies" or "science."

20. explodingboy

explodingboy Guest

+0
    >_>

You do realize that most studies have non believers right at the bottom of the divorce numbers.