Climate change, deforestation, mass extinction...

Gxg (G²)

Pilgrim/Monastic on the Road to God (Psalm 84:1-7)
Site Supporter
Jan 25, 2009
Good Ol' South...
Visit site
✟160,220.00
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
Interesting.

I was actually listening to a book about Mohammed (pbuh) this morning on the way to work and it spoke about how much he cared for nature and revealed how important nature is to God.
Curious as to what the name of the book is that you're talking about ...

Upvote 0

Gxg (G²)

Site Supporter
Jan 25, 2009
Good Ol' South...
Visit site
✟160,220.00
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
Interesting.

I was actually listening to a book about Mohammed (pbuh) this morning on the way to work and it spoke about how much he cared for nature and revealed how important nature is to God.
Some interesting presentations....many from https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLlVoebcKQ-_HbW1U_PfupV9QX5f5WhDNN

Islam and the Environment.. (Green Deen) - YouTube

Press TV - Islam & Life -Is there an Islamic environmentalism? - 01-28-2010 - YouTube

PressTV-Islam & Life-Muslims and Environment-30-09-2010 (Part 2) - YouTube

[CENTER
479874_591397770871029_769788853_n.jpg

eco-muslim-banner-MEDIUM.png
[/CENTER]

Upvote 0

Gxg (G²)

Site Supporter
Jan 25, 2009
Good Ol' South...
Visit site
✟160,220.00
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
Upvote 0

Gxg (G²)

Site Supporter
Jan 25, 2009
Good Ol' South...
Visit site
✟160,220.00
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
That is written by a skill full propagandist ,tariq ramadan.

open a separate thread and post some (Any) content from the book and I will show the deception.
Intriguing...

Upvote 0

dlamberth

Senior Contributor
Site Supporter
Oct 12, 2003
Oregon
✟733,230.00
Faith
Other Religion
Politics
US-Others

open a separate thread and post some (Any) content from the book and I will show the deception.
I've never heard of Tariq Ramadan so I googled him and read some of the stuff that popped up. I was unable to find any actual connection to the Sufies, but he sure does sound like one. Sufies quite often do not make their spiritual path public. So if Tariq is Sufi trained, I'm not at all surprised that aspect of himself is hidden. As for being a propagandist, Sufies are in a different world. And if he is Sufi trained, what you may be taking as propaganda could simply be insight into the inner workings of the mind of a Sufi and how they see things.

Upvote 0

Supreme

British
Jul 30, 2009
London
✟22,685.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Global warming is up there with how to best organise tin scrapyards in terms of how boring it is. Yet, it does hurt me when I see the environment being destroyed, especially the aquatic environment, such as beautiful coral reefs. These are beautiful creations that God has gifted to us, and as His custodians on His planet, we should do our best to look after it.

Upvote 0

smaneck

Baha'i
Sep 29, 2010
Jackson, MS
✟55,644.00
Faith
Baha'i
Marital Status
Single

Tariq Ramadan is a Professor of Islamic Studies at Oxford University. He was offered a position at Notre Dame but the US denied him a visit on the basis of the Patriot Act. The American Academy of Religion of which I am a member along with the American Association of University Professor vigorously opposed this decision which took six years to overturn.

Upvote 0

smaneck

Baha'i
Sep 29, 2010
Jackson, MS
✟55,644.00
Faith
Baha'i
Marital Status
Single
I've never heard of Tariq Ramadan so I googled him and read some of the stuff that popped up. I was unable to find any actual connection to the Sufies, but he sure does sound like one.

I don't think so. Tariq Ramadan was raised in Switzerland. I would call him an Islamic modernist.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Jane_the_Bane

Gaia's godchild
Feb 11, 2004
✟168,333.00
Faith
Pagan
Marital Status
Legal Union (Other)
Politics
UK-Greens
Global warming is up there with how to best organise tin scrapyards in terms of how boring it is. Yet, it does hurt me when I see the environment being destroyed, especially the aquatic environment, such as beautiful coral reefs. These are beautiful creations that God has gifted to us, and as His custodians on His planet, we should do our best to look after it.

The way you are talking about this suggests that you think of ecosystems as little more than a scenic backdrop for our species - something to look at, and potentially to mourn if it's no longer there, but nothing more.
Unfortunately for all of us, we depend just as much upon an intact ecosphere as the coral reefs, and the effects of our actions will NOT pass us by - although the people who'll suffer first and most will for the most part be those who are LEAST responsible for the damage, so there's not even some sort of karmic justice to the whole sordid state of affairs.

(I suspect Roland Emmerich made his "The Day after Tomorrow" specifically for an audience who thought like you do: our species as a whole does not seem to be particularly good at reacting to slow-moving threats, like a frog sitting in a gradually heating pot.)

Upvote 0

smaneck

Baha'i
Sep 29, 2010
Jackson, MS
✟55,644.00
Faith
Baha'i
Marital Status
Single
The way you are talking about this suggests that you think of ecosystems as little more than a scenic backdrop for our species - something to look at, and potentially to mourn if it's no longer there, but nothing more.
Unfortunately for all of us, we depend just as much upon an intact ecosphere as the coral reefs, and the effects of our actions will NOT pass us by - although the people who'll suffer first and most will for the most part be those who are LEAST responsible for the damage, so there's not even some sort of karmic justice to the whole sordid state of affairs.

My understanding is that if the glaciers of Greenland and North America melt too quickly, the Gulf Stream will stop running creating something like the Younger Dryas event which would result in Europe actually becoming much colder.
Global Warming is not a new thing, however. It has been going on since the onset of the Industrial Revolution. In fact it is what ended the Little Ice Age.

Upvote 0

Gxg (G²)

Site Supporter
Jan 25, 2009
Good Ol' South...
Visit site
✟160,220.00
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others

Coral Reefs actually will kill US if we don't stop them from being killed, as killing our environment impacts the food supply and thus it's not just a matter of beauty we want to be concerned for.

Upvote 0

dcalling

Jan 31, 2014
✟107,345.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
I will be more worried about global cooling than global warming. There are computer models predict hockey stick warming trend, or models predict because of more cloud cover the warming induced by CO2 will cancel out.

Up the the 60s global cooling was all the rage.

North Pole Sees Unprecedented July Cold ? Arctic Sees Shortest Summer On Record — ‘Normally the high Arctic has about 90 days above freezing. This year there was less than half that’ | Climate Depot

We have all seen in the past how one big volcano eruption can throw the earth into an little ice age, and we have all seen how the industrial smog covers many part of China. It is very strange why everyone got so concentrated on global warming and ignore the cooling aspect.

Upvote 0

smaneck

Baha'i
Sep 29, 2010
Jackson, MS
✟55,644.00
Faith
Baha'i
Marital Status
Single
We have all seen in the past how one big volcano eruption can throw the earth into an little ice age, and we have all seen how the industrial smog covers many part of China. It is very strange why everyone got so concentrated on global warming and ignore the cooling aspect.

The entire earth was not thrown into a Little Ice Age, it was mostly Europe. That cannot be explained by volcanoes alone. Presumably they would have effected the earth either evenly or more in the areas where these eruptions occurred. What seems to have happened is that a solar minimum event led to a decrease in the ozone layer which it turn led to melt off in the North pole which it turn weakened the jet stream bringing colder air down into the Atlantic.

Bottom line: We are not going to have a *global* cooling, but if global warming warming causes the ice caps to melt too quickly, it will weaken the jet stream causing dramatic cooling of the Atlantic seaboard much like the Younger Dryas event.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

dcalling

Jan 31, 2014
✟107,345.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
The entire earth was not thrown into a Little Ice Age, it was mostly Europe. That cannot be explained by volcanoes alone. Presumably they would have effected the earth either evenly or more in the areas where these eruptions occurred. What seems to have happened is that a solar minimum event led to a decrease in the ozone layer which it turn led to melt off in the North pole which it turn weakened the jet stream bringing colder air down into the Atlantic.

Bottom line: We are not going to have a *global* cooling, but if global warming warming causes the ice caps to melt too quickly, it will weaken the jet stream causing dramatic cooling of the Atlantic seaboard much like the Younger Dryas event.

check out the latest data:
Antarctic sea ice reaches record high, as Arctic hits 2014 minimum

Basically it says antarctic sea ice is growing while arctic ice is shrinking, but the arctic ice shrinking seems have reversed a bit too, the lowest arctic ice is in 2012, 3.29m sqkm, and around time of recording is 5m sqkm. It is still low, but the lowering trend might have stopped, we shall see in time.

About the volcanos causing little ice age, see this one:Volcanoes May Have Sparked Little Ice Age | Climate Change & Cooling | Volcanoes & Sea Ice

Again I am only showing some facts (or some evidence presenting, which sometimes angers my wife greatly), we shall see the actual effect of humans on climate in time :)

Upvote 0

Gxg (G²)

Site Supporter
Jan 25, 2009
Good Ol' South...
Visit site
✟160,220.00
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
check out the latest data:
Antarctic sea ice reaches record high, as Arctic hits 2014 minimum

Basically it says antarctic sea ice is growing while arctic ice is shrinking, but the arctic ice shrinking seems have reversed a bit too, the lowest arctic ice is in 2012, 3.29m sqkm, and around time of recording is 5m sqkm. It is still low, but the lowering trend might have stopped, we shall see in time.

About the volcanos causing little ice age, see this one:Volcanoes May Have Sparked Little Ice Age | Climate Change & Cooling | Volcanoes & Sea Ice

Again I am only showing some facts (or some evidence presenting, which sometimes angers my wife greatly), we shall see the actual effect of humans on climate in time :)
How to prepare for it is something that will make a world of difference for all religions....

Upvote 0

RestoredGospelEvidences

Jul 27, 2013
✟15,229.00
Faith
Mormon
Marital Status
Private
Environmental issues may not be exactly a question of religion or faith - yet bizarrely enough, there are people out there who treat them as if they were. Bafflingly enough, conservative think tanks who feel that any change to the status quo would endanger their future profits have managed to convince a considerable portion of the population that it's all a big controversy, that the verdict is not yet in, and that those who'd call for an immediate response to these threats are loopy fanatics who don't know what's what.

And all the while, the rainforests keep on dwindling, the oceans are not only plagued by growing garbage patches but also subject to acidification, which may cause the entire marine ecosystem to collapse from the bottom up, species everywhere are disappearing at a rate that you'd otherwise associate with major natural catastrophes, our own species grows at an alarming rate, and we are using up natural resources at a pace that would require several planets at the same time to sustain.

The thing is: none of this is a controversy. The verdict of the scientific community (i.e. people who deal with these matters professionally and have all the data at hand) is virtually unanimous. To deny it and pretend that it's still nothing more than some wishy-washy hypothesis is the rough equivalent of putting your fingers in your ears and going "LALALA!!! I CANNOT HEAR YOU!!"

So... how does your religion relate to the devastating effect our post-industrial species has on the planet, and what does it have to say about combating the mess we've created?

Climate Change? Global Warming? Global Cooling? Which one is it? Why has the "problem" changed over the years? The fact is, any school kid can get it, it's so simple. As the earth turns & goes around in its orbit around the sun, it goes through different climate changes. When the sun "goes down" at night, the earth cools down in the shadow of the earth. When the dawn comes, the sun heats up in the sun's rays. If anything, it's the sun that causes climate changes, not humans on it.

To think that carbon emissions are causing global warming is laughable. But now, any change in the natural cycles of climates are called "Climate Change!" Which means if there is a colder winter than in earlier years, "it must be due to 'Climate Change,' made by carbon emissions." If there is a hotter summer, it must be CC. Thus, any type of change is claimed to be "Climate Change," which means it wouldn't matter what the weather naturally does, it's CC. This approach makes it possible for the CC claimers to then claim they have scientific backing to argue the "solution," which, of course, always seems to have a price$$$. A global tax system! Who'll gets all that money? What will they spend it on? More carbon spewing private jets, limos & mansions? Like the Al Gores, & nations' leaders, a number of movie stars, & others that tell everyone to ride bikes, use less gas while they hypocritically fly around in their private jets, get driven in their limos, etc?

If anything, carbon is good for plants, they take it in & give off oxygen. But to claim that animals' & humans' exhales & farts are destroying the planet is laughable!

All of the tax money down the drain in the attempts to "save the planet" from global warming or CC, however, is way beyond shame! It's criminal! Those who are pushing for emission tax credits & "carbon credits," are also those who are pushing for other global taxes for their world government! They've taken a natural concern that most people have about wanting to breath clean air, concerns about pollutions, etc., & turned it into a tax money grabbing scam! They've created a "global crisis" that they say requires a "global solution" which always costs a "global tax" to deal with the "threats" & to "save the planet." But what a lot of people don't realize is that the extreme "solution" to carbon emissions is to, as many of them claim, is to get rid of most of the "emission" makers! Which are the common folk! Their "solution" requires that the world needs to be depopulated! Families reduced, forced abortions, forced sterializations, Agenda 21ed, Mega cities, environmental reserves, bio-regions, families & individuals controlled & freedoms lost, mirco-managings, over regulations, over compliancings to endless lists of required rules & regulations. Forced infanticides, carbon emission policings, & other loss of freedoms. Such things have been in the works for years, as the Report from Iron Mountain shows, & other documents shows. That's what going green, sustainability, & Agenda 21 are all about. The politicalizing of people's ligitimate concerns about pollutions & the environment into a money making, tax money gobbling scam, backed by junk science. Other "solutions" seem counter productive & ironic: While our exhales are said to be destroying the globe, smoke from Cigs are claimed to help prevent global warming? The particals in the smoke are claimed to reflect back sun rays away from the earth. Atomic bombs & wars, with all the fires, & blasts from bombs, you might think would heat up the planet more & faster than billions of us exhalers & farting humans. But such things are "needed" according to the Global 2000 thinkers, because wars help to get rid of us carbon foot printers faster. China can have forced 1 child policies, while dumping all kinds of pollutions into their seas! But hey! At least they are helping to cut down on carbon foot printers, (humans), (You Tube: Death By China). Politicians can talk about the "problems" of climate changes, while taking more vacations, at tax payers' expenses, than most people get to take in their life times. Thus causing most of us carbon foot printers to have to work longer hours, drive carbon belching cars to work to pay for those taxes to keep the ever growing tax spenders in the air, as they fly off to their vacation spots, with all the security & others that have to also be flown or transported, with them. Other "solutions" seem ironic too. The human "animal" seems to be more of an endangered species than small critters! For while the critters are "protected" in the name of environmentalism, the abortion mills are helping with "the over population problem!" (Dr. Paul R. Ehrlich, The Population Bomb, (New York: Ballantine Books, An Intext Publisher, 1968; Gary Allen, The Rockefeller Files, chapter: The Peoples Planners). Of course, let's not forget the latest murderous baby-parts mills that helps the baby killers, (in the name of the mothers' health & that the baby isn't human, yet), to make more money, at tax payers' expenses, so they can buy their own carbon spewing forms of transportation, or what ever, through the sale of baby parts! And we thought the Nazis & commies were murderous! How many babies have been murdered now in the name of "mothers' health" & the mothers' "right" to do with her body what she will. When it's actually the "right" to do away with another person's body, against their will. All in the name of the same types of dehumanizing descriptions of humans that were used to slaughter Indians, called "savages," Black slaves, called "[bless and do not curse][bless and do not curse][bless and do not curse][bless and do not curse][bless and do not curse][bless and do not curse]s," & Jews, non-communists, & so forth, throughout history. But, hey! That's O.K, with some depopulationists, & population control freaks, because less humans = less carbon emissions = "saving the planet!" Ironic! Nazi swastica tatooed Charles Manson would like to pile up 50 million of us, dead, thinking that by so doing he can save his trees, wild life & the environment. Bill Gates would like to cut down emissions by cutting down on the population too. Ted Turner & many others, who have made billions off of us buying his services & "stuff," would like to get rid of a lot of us in the name of ending global warming, because there's too many of us causing it because we use too much stuff. How many old computers & other "stuff" fill the land fills, because we bought up too much stuff, which ended up making these billionairs rich? But the more ironic "solution" that is probably costing tax payers more money, making us to have to drive our carbon spewing cars to work longer hours, is the so-called anti-climate changing chem-trails! It's believed by some that one solution to "climate change" is to send up carbon belching planes to spray "chem-trails" that are said to contain particles that reflect back the sun's rays from heating up the planet. That "solution" is like the smoking one, it's stupid, costly, & probably has a more sinister money making motive for some global corporations, that push the sales of their chemicals! All in the name of "helping" to "save" humanity from those "evil" carbon footprinters. But, these are just a few of the ironic & scary sides to the climate change issues, the so-called "solutions" that we often hardly hear about!

Sources: (Cliff Kincaid, Global Taxe$ for World Government, (Louisianna: Huntington House Publishers, 1997). You Tube: Climategate Gadianton Robbers Global Warming Tax Gains; 1-10-2011, Globalist, Van Jones- Climate Scam, He says to young people, we'll have to "pretend" some other crisis, because the "pretend" global warming didn't work! It didn't get them the taxing, regulations, & forced permits upon those bad carbon spewing people who they alleged were destroying the planet! You Tube: The great global warming swindle; Climategate: A Veteran Meteorologist Exposes the Global Warming Scam by Brian Sussman (Apr 22, 2010). The Hockey Stick Illusion: Climategate and the Corruption of Science (Independent Minds) by A. W. Montford (Jun 6, 2011). Climategate: The Crutape Letters by Steven Mosher and Thomas W. Fuller (Jan 14, 2010). Eco-Tyranny: How the Left's Green Agenda will Dismantle America by Brian Sussman (Apr 17, 2012).

Last edited:
Upvote 0

smaneck

Baha'i
Sep 29, 2010
Jackson, MS
✟55,644.00
Faith
Baha'i
Marital Status
Single
Upvote 0

smaneck

Baha'i
Sep 29, 2010
Jackson, MS
✟55,644.00
Faith
Baha'i
Marital Status
Single
Climate Change? Global Warming? Global Cooling? Which one is it? Why has the "problem" changed over the years?

It hasn't. Climate Change was a term invented by the political right in order to avoid the more ominous sounding Global Warming. Eventually people seemed to accept it as a euphemism for the same thing. The possibility of the Global Cooling is a something proposed by only a small minority of scientists. If the polar ice caps melt too quickly it is possible that cold water suddenly flowing into the Atlantic could stop the jet stream from flowing creating another Younger Dryas Event, but that would likely be temporary and causing a colder climate in Europe and West Asia but not effect global climate as a whole.

Reactions: Jane_the_Bane
Upvote 0