Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
Hi. I split this off from another thread on Messianics and Christianity.
I would like to ask how the churches view this passage in Zech 8:23. Is the "Jewish man" the Lord Jesus or any religious Jew today? Thanks.

Zechariah 8:23 Thus said Y@hovah of Hosts: In those days take hold do ten men of all languages of the nations, Yea, they have taken hold on the skirt of a man, a Jew/Y@huwdiy , saying: We go with you, for we heard 'El-ohiym [is] with you!

Zech 14:5 Then you shall flee [through] My mountain valley, For the mountain valley shall reach to Azal. Yes, you shall flee As you fled from the earthquake In the days of Uzziah king of Judah. Thus Y@hovah my 'El-ohiym will come, [And] all the saints with You.

http://www.eliyah.com/lexicon.html

'el (Strong's 0410) occurs 245 times in 235 verses:

410 'el ale shortened from 352; strength; as adjective, mighty; especially the Almighty (but used also of any deity):--God (god), X goodly, X great, idol, might(-y one), power, strong. Compare names in "-el."

jsimms615

Site Supporter
Jul 21, 2006
✟143,480.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Hi. I split this off from another thread on Messianics and Christianity.
I would like to ask how the churches view this passage in Zech 8:23. Is the "Jewish man" the Lord Jesus or any religious Jew today? Thanks.

Zechariah 8:23 Thus said Y@hovah of Hosts: In those days take hold do ten men of all languages of the nations, Yea, they have taken hold on the skirt of a man, a Jew/Y@huwdiy , saying: We go with you, for we heard 'El-ohiym [is] with you!

Zech 14:5 Then you shall flee [through] My mountain valley, For the mountain valley shall reach to Azal. Yes, you shall flee As you fled from the earthquake In the days of Uzziah king of Judah. Thus Y@hovah my 'El-ohiym will come, [And] all the saints with You.

http://www.eliyah.com/lexicon.html

'el (Strong's 0410) occurs 245 times in 235 verses:

410 'el ale shortened from 352; strength; as adjective, mighty; especially the Almighty (but used also of any deity):--God (god), X goodly, X great, idol, might(-y one), power, strong. Compare names in "-el."
The context of Zec 14:5 is after Jesus' return. You see his return on the Mount of Olives mentioned in Zec 14:4. I would think that the context of Chapter 8 is sometime around the Millenium reign of Christ just as it is in Zec 14:4-5. Though it doesn't have to be to be true in chapter 8.
I don't really have an opinion on whether the Jewish person who is mentioned is symbolic of Jesus or another Jew. The point is that Jerusalem will be exalted again in the end times.

Upvote 0

childofGod31

May 13, 2006
✟17,291.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
In the old Testatment it talks about how Jews will be revered and exalted. (Now everybody is against them, but during Millenium, they will be THE people.) Other people will be their servants, I think.

So that's why it said that (in the verse you quoted). People thought they would find favor with God if they bring the Jews home (as an offering to God) or perhaps if they came together with a Jew, God would receive them favorably.

ISA 66:20 And they will bring all your brothers, from all the nations, to my holy mountain in Jerusalem as an offering to the LORD - on horses, in chariots and wagons, and on mules and camels," says the LORD. "They will bring them, as the Israelites bring their grain offerings, to the temple of the LORD in ceremonially clean vessels.

Is 11:11 In that day the Lord will reach out his hand a second time to reclaim the remnant that is left of his people from Assyria, from Lower Egypt, from Upper Egypt, from Cush, from Elam, from Babylonia, from Hamath and from the islands of the sea. 12 He will raise a banner for the nations and gather the exiles of Israel; he will assemble the scattered people of Judah from the four quarters of the earth

Isa 60:1 "Arise, Jerusalem! Let your light shine for all the nations to see! For the glory of the LORD is shining upon you.2 Darkness as black as night will cover all the nations of the earth, but the glory of the LORD will shine over you.
3 All nations will come to your light. Mighty kings will come to see your radiance.

Isa 60:12 For the nations that refuse to be your allies will be destroyed.
13 The glory of Lebanon will be yours - the forests of cypress, fir, and pine - to beautify my sanctuary. My Temple will be glorious!
14 "The children of your tormentors will come and bow before you. Those who despised you will kiss your feet. They will call you the City of the LORD, and Zion of the Holy One of Israel.
15 "Though you were once despised and hated and rebuffed by all, you will be beautiful forever. You will be a joy to all generations, for I will make you so.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.