Boise
✟2,168.00
Country
United States
Faith
Unorthodox
Marital Status
Single
I am in the process of thinking about changing churches. One thing I‘ve really noticed lately is that churches are not good about answering their emails. I have had this same problem with three different churches that I have contacted in the past couple weeks. One of them is even my home church. I understand that people get busy but this seems to be quite a disservice to me. Aren’t churches supposed to be serving Christ and the community? Then why don’t they respond to emails and in a timely manner?

tampasteve

Pray for peace in Israel
Christian Forums Staff
Administrator
Angels Team
CF Senior Ambassador
Site Supporter
May 15, 2017
Tampa
✟778,191.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
It really depends on the church, I would think. I know the church I was a member at recently was really good with replying to emails. They had a full time office staff, however. Many smaller churches are staffed by volunteers, they are more likely to be slower to reply. Also, it probably depends on the nature of what you are asking them. They may not be sure how to reply, or who at the church should be replying.

But without knowing more specifics on what they are doing or what you are asking, it is kind of hard to advise you. I guess I would say to keep trying...

Upvote 0

Union With Christ

Nov 17, 2020
Boise
✟2,168.00
Country
United States
Faith
Unorthodox
Marital Status
Single
It really depends on the church, I would think. I know the church I was a member at recently was really good with replying to emails. They had a full time office staff, however. Many smaller churches are staffed by volunteers, they are more likely to be slower to reply. Also, it probably depends on the nature of what you are asking them. They may not be sure how to reply, or who at the church should be replying.

But without knowing more specifics on what they are doing or what you are asking, it is kind of hard to advise you. I guess I would say to keep trying...

These are doctrine questions that I am asking. All three of these churches are small but they do have full time staff.

Upvote 0

tampasteve

Pray for peace in Israel
Christian Forums Staff
Administrator
Angels Team
CF Senior Ambassador
Site Supporter
May 15, 2017
Tampa
✟778,191.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
These are doctrine questions that I am asking. All three of these churches are small but they do have full time staff.
My Pastor at my current church answered three of my emails but he ignored the other three. That’s a 50% ratio.

And this is a church that I support financially.
That's disappointing. I have had a similar experience with emailing pastors out of the blue with some questions in the past. About 75% emailed back, the ones that did email back were very helpful. But that was just two questions.

It might have to do with the volume of questions sent and how the emails are worded? It is really tough to say, but one would hope they would reply with something, even if they just think it would be better to speak on the phone or in person.

Upvote 0

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
I think we can understand why a church, any church, would prefer not to enter into a possibly thorny doctrinal discussion by email. For one thing, it almost certainly would not be confined to one message of inquiry and one reply.

But if you were to write (or better yet--phone!) and ask for an appointment, saying that you would like to meet briefly with the pastor because of some questions about the Christian church's stance on some issues that have been troubling you, the reply might well be different. It always worked for me!

Upvote 0

DiscipleHeLovesToo

Site Supporter
Nov 13, 2010
✟77,537.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
I am in the process of thinking about changing churches. One thing I‘ve really noticed lately is that churches are not good about answering their emails. I have had this same problem with three different churches that I have contacted in the past couple weeks. One of them is even my home church. I understand that people get busy but this seems to be quite a disservice to me. Aren’t churches supposed to be serving Christ and the community? Then why don’t they respond to emails and in a timely manner?

perhaps you have found your calling in your church - offer your services as someone to respond immediately to every email :)

Upvote 0

Union With Christ

Nov 17, 2020
Boise
✟2,168.00
Country
United States
Faith
Unorthodox
Marital Status
Single
That's disappointing. I have had a similar experience with emailing pastors out of the blue with some questions in the past. About 75% emailed back, the ones that did email back were very helpful. But that was just two questions.

It might have to do with the volume of questions sent and how the emails are worded? It is really tough to say, but one would hope they would reply with something, even if they just think it would be better to speak on the phone or in person.

Yes, it is very disappointing. The answers that my Pastor did provide were very good but that still doesn’t excuse him ignoring half of my questions. That gives me further ammunition to change churches.

Upvote 0

Union With Christ

Nov 17, 2020
Boise
✟2,168.00
Country
United States
Faith
Unorthodox
Marital Status
Single
I think we can understand why a church, any church, would prefer not to enter into a possibly thorny doctrinal issue by email. For one thing, it almost certainly would not be confined to one message of inquiry and one reply.

But if you were to write and ask for an appointment, saying that you would like to meet briefly with the pastor because of some questions about the Christian church's stance on some issues that have been troubling you, the reply might well be different. It always worked for me!

I don’t really know why that would be an issue. People tend to understand things better when they are written verses when they are spoken. There are plenty of doctrinal discussions that take place in writing, these forums are evidence of that.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
I don’t really know why that would be an issue. People tend to understand things better when they are written verses when they are spoken. There are plenty of doctrinal discussions in writing these forums are evidence of that.
If you prefer to put your issues to us in written form, I am sure you will get a lot of good replies.

What you asked here, however, was about making an inquiry via an email sent to a church office.

Upvote 0

Union With Christ

Nov 17, 2020
Boise
✟2,168.00
Country
United States
Faith
Unorthodox
Marital Status
Single
If you prefer to put your issues to us in written form, I am sure you will get a lot of good replies.

What you asked here, however, was about making an inquiry via an email sent to a church office.

That really doesn’t make sense to me that a Pastor wouldn’t be equipped to answer doctrinal matters via email. I know that is not the case because the answers that he has given me have been very good.

Upvote 0

DiscipleHeLovesToo

Site Supporter
Nov 13, 2010
✟77,537.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
That really doesn’t make sense to me that a Pastor wouldn’t be equipped to answer doctrinal matters via email. I know that is not the case because the answers that he has given me have been very good.

what if the staff has limited time to answer emails while addressing their primary responsibilities, and they get 100 emails a day?

Upvote 0

Union With Christ

Nov 17, 2020
Boise
✟2,168.00
Country
United States
Faith
Unorthodox
Marital Status
Single
what if the staff has limited time to answer emails while addressing their primary responsibilities, and they get 100 emails a day?

It’s possible and that is why I am asking here what the problem may be. It is possible that some of my emails may have slipped through the cracks but I find this doubtful. I have my doubts that a church of 150 people get 100 emails a day.

But you are right the Pastor may not have time to answer because he may be overwhelmed with duties.

Upvote 0

Union With Christ

Nov 17, 2020
Boise
✟2,168.00
Country
United States
Faith
Unorthodox
Marital Status
Single
My church does have a school. They are currently in the process of seeking an assistant pastor to run the school. So it is possible that my Pastor is just too tied up with duties and maybe after we get an associate pastor he will have more time to do things like answering emails.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

xaris

Sep 8, 2020
So. Cal
✟33,811.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I find it to be very rude. Why do they place their contact information on their website if they are not going to answer?
Ever try using the phone in your pocket?
In any case, it's a silly reason to change churches.

Upvote 0

Union With Christ

Nov 17, 2020
Boise
✟2,168.00
Country
United States
Faith
Unorthodox
Marital Status
Single
Ever try using the phone in your pocket?
In any case, it's a silly reason to change churches.

I use my phone to write the emails. It is a proven fact that greater understanding is gained from the written word versus the spoken word.

It’s not the only reason that I am considering changing churches but it very well may be the straw that broke the camels back.

Why should I support a church financially if I can’t get doctrinal answers?

Upvote 0

DiscipleHeLovesToo

Site Supporter
Nov 13, 2010
✟77,537.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
It does make me feel like I am not important or valuable to him though and it also makes me feel like my questions are a burden to him instead of a joy.

can you share any of your questions here? we might be able to help you answer some directly from God's Word

Upvote 0

Union With Christ

Nov 17, 2020
Boise
✟2,168.00
Country
United States
Faith
Unorthodox
Marital Status
Single
can you share any of your questions here? we might be able to help you answer some directly from God's Word

You may be able to help but honestly I am emailing these particular Pastors because I am inquiring about the doctrine of their church.

I am speaking with my Pastor about the topic of theosis and deification. I sent him an email asking him about John 10:34 when Jesus says, “ye are gods” but he did not respond.

I also sent him another email asking him about judgement and rewards and levels of heaven.

Then the third email I sent him that went unanswered was about Andrew Murray.

I am also emailing with an Orthodox Priest and my question to him is concerning the Orthodox view on the sabbath and I am also asking him if I can be rebaptized in their church.

Lastly, I am emailing with a Messianic church and I am inquiring about their doctrine of Annihilation on their church website.

Upvote 0