Christians who hate...

D

dies-l

Isn't it odd that the moral values that we agree on the most are often the ones we practice the least. For example, we could argue until the cows come home about whether homosexuality is a sin, but in the end, most of us (on both sides of the argument) don't have much trouble abstaining from homosexuality. OTOH, we all pretty much agree that we are to love our enemies, and that we are to forgive those who hurt us. Yet, how many of us actually live this out. I know I sure fall flat on this one, and I suspect that almost everyone else here does too.

Upvote 0

bugkiller

May 16, 2015
✟80,400.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Some questions...

Is it okay for Christians to hate other Christians simply because they disagree with them?

Should Christians who profess that hatred continue to stew and seethe about them to other people?

Is it okay for Christians to carry grudges?
My guess is it depends on what you call hate.

I find that if I please one person I displease another. In some circles this is called hate.

I also find that if I stand up for something, it is called hate by those who oppose what I stand for.

Simple solution - withdraw. Only say yes or no. Do not express any ideas. Only ask for a need and say thank you. Even that is met with a sales picth. Want to confuse somebody? Just give an unemotional no. Drives 'em nuts.

This no offense socisty we are now living in stinks. You can't even preach the truth at church anymore. People will not come back.

bugkiller
927154.gif

Upvote 0

Zebra1552

Urban Nomad. Literally.
Nov 2, 2007
Freezing, America
✟26,738.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Others
You should never hate no matter what!

We all hate though, even when we commit to our selves that we wont. But please try your best not to. If you do hate it wont bring you closer to God.
So, then the book of Ecclesiastes is not inspired then, when it said there is 'a time to hate'?

Upvote 0

PreachersWife2004

by his wounds we are healed
Site Supporter
May 15, 2007
Land O' 10,000 Lakes
✟84,030.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
I think we can hate ideals and hate things, but not people. We should always hate and detest evil. But people...no, we should never hate people.

We're really no better off than the person sitting next to us on the bus or in the restaurant. What sets us apart is the love of Christ, and He tells us to love our enemies. How can someone call themselves a Christian if they allow themselves to wallow in hatred?

1 John emphasized it not once, but twice within the same paragraph!

Anyone who claims to be in the light but hates his brother is still in the darkness. Whoever loves his brother lives in the light, and there is nothing in him to make him stumble. But whoever hates his brother is in the darkness and walks around in the darkness; he does not know where he is going, because the darkness has blinded him.

Upvote 0

Zebra1552

Urban Nomad. Literally.
Nov 2, 2007
Freezing, America
✟26,738.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Others
There is no reason to hate people based on what they say on do... That is Evil, Evil is to blame. Not people.

PreachersWife has it completely right.
Red herring. That has nothing to do with what I asked you.

Upvote 0

PreachersWife2004

Site Supporter
May 15, 2007
Land O' 10,000 Lakes
✟84,030.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Red herring. That has nothing to do with what I asked you.

but it does.

Ecclesiastes doesn't say there's a time to hate people, just a time to hate. Hence why I said that we can hate things and ideals but not people. Cap just merely pointed out we shouldn't hate people based on what they say or do, which is usually what we base our hatred of someone on, is it not?

Upvote 0

Zebra1552

Urban Nomad. Literally.
Nov 2, 2007
Freezing, America
✟26,738.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Others
but it does.

Ecclesiastes doesn't say there's a time to hate people, just a time to hate. Hence why I said that we can hate things and ideals but not people. Cap just merely pointed out we shouldn't hate people based on what they say or do, which is usually what we base our hatred of someone on, is it not?
He stated this:

You should never hate no matter what!

I responded to it with my question about Ecclesiastes. Exactly what does my question have to do with hating people?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

PreachersWife2004

Site Supporter
May 15, 2007
Land O' 10,000 Lakes
✟84,030.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
He stated this:

I responded to it with my question about Ecclesiastes. Exactly what does my question have to do with hating people?

I think Cap was assuming we were talking about hating people, since the thread has pretty much been about hating people, not just hate in general. We should never hate people at all.

Cap also agreed with what I posted, which was that while Ecclesiastes does say there is a time to hate, it doesn't mean we can hate people. Cap agrees with that sentiment.

So what was your issue again?

Upvote 0

Capuano231

May 23, 2010
✟15,227.00
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Single
He stated this:

Just because Ecclesiastes states that hating is necessary doesn't mean you shouldn't worry about hating. I was just stating that it isn't okay to hate. Do you think hate is alright because Ecclesiastes says it's necessary to do so?

Upvote 0

brinny

everlovin' shiner of light in dark places
Site Supporter
Mar 23, 2004
✟1,343,306.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Constitution
I think Paul got it right.....All you need is love...love..love...love is all you need....guess I should give credit to the other guys, Ringo John and George.

LOL i thought you were talking about Paul the apostle ^_^

Upvote 0

Zebra1552

Urban Nomad. Literally.
Nov 2, 2007
Freezing, America
✟26,738.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Others
Just because Ecclesiastes states that hating is necessary doesn't mean you shouldn't worry about hating. I was just stating that it isn't okay to hate. Do you think hate is alright because Ecclesiastes says it's necessary to do so?
It doesn't mean I shouldn't hate, either, which is what you said should happen. Which is it? Are we or are we not supposed to hate?

Upvote 0

Capuano231

May 23, 2010
✟15,227.00
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Single
It doesn't mean I shouldn't hate, either, which is what you said should happen. Which is it? Are we or are we not supposed to hate?

Then I don't understand this "hate" problem, just like the OP. Because you have mad me think and at the same time confused me (not a bad thing)

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Zebra1552

Urban Nomad. Literally.
Nov 2, 2007
Freezing, America
✟26,738.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Others
I think Cap was assuming we were talking about hating people, since the thread has pretty much been about hating people, not just hate in general. We should never hate people at all.
Why not? If actions define a person, then hating their actions is the same as hating them. Even if they don't, hate implies that you care about the person on a level deeper than you're willing to admit. Hate can in fact be very useful and revealing.
Cap also agreed with what I posted, which was that while Ecclesiastes does say there is a time to hate, it doesn't mean we can hate people. Cap agrees with that sentiment.
He did so in a separate conversation and also, you posted after I did and he responded to you before me. How does the above information relate to my conversation with him?

So what was your issue again?
Who said I have an issue?

Upvote 0

Zebra1552

Urban Nomad. Literally.
Nov 2, 2007
Freezing, America
✟26,738.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Others
Then I don't understand this "hate" problem, just like the OP. Because you have mad me think and at the same time confused me (not a bad thing)
The hate problem is that we're human and we cannot avoid it. So, how do we turn a weakness- an inborn one at that- and make it a strength?

Upvote 0

Inviolable

Feb 27, 2006
✟3,179.00
Faith
Christian
Some questions...

Is it okay for Christians to hate other Christians simply because they disagree with them?
I've never disagreed with someone I know has felt the Holy Spirit.

But I do see a lot of people on here who call themselves Christians and act contrary to what you would expect to see from the Holy spirit.
Like those people claiming to be Christian yet, posting quotes on FSTDT,
I wouldn't think that the Holy Spirit moves people to humiliate another person into submission. Nor would I assume that anyone who believes in free will would do such a thing.
Sounds more like something Hitler would do.

Upvote 0

Presbyterian Continuist

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Mar 28, 2005
Christchurch New Zealand
Visit site
✟833,540.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
I don't see hating as part of the fruit of the Spirit. The fruit of the Spirit reflects the spirit of Christ, and the Bible says that if a person does not have the spirit of Christ, he is none of His (Romans 8:9). Hate is the opposite of love. A person who hates does not love, and the person who does not love does not know God for God is love (1 John 4:8). The answer seems quite simple to me.

Upvote 0