Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Others
I think some of this must be a disputable matter. As the whole point of God is love, God is love, hate might not be part of God's character. Yet how do we describe God's attitude to sin, 'dislike' ? I am not sure dislike is strong enough a word, it doesnt do Christ's loving sacrifice justice.
Hate is most certainly part of God's character. Go read Proverbs.

Proverbs 8:13 The fear of the LORD is hatred of evil. Pride and arrogance and the way of evil and perverted speech I hate.

That's just one example.

Upvote 0

Zeena

..called to BE a Saint
Jul 30, 2004
✟16,853.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Jesus is God. God is stated numerous times to hate evil. I don't have much to explain.

*snip*
I am countering the claim that we are to never hate. Jesus, being God, cannot avoid hating evil. Not unless you want to throw out the OT.

And where is THAT in the OT?

"Hate what is evil, cling to what is good." I can't seem to remember who said that...
God said that, through Holy men of God as the Spirit of God moved them to write.

Thing is.. It seems to me you are reinterpreting 'what is evil' as WHO is evil.. :blush:

Evil is not an entity, but an action which defines our character, just as love also is an action that defines our character. :sorry:

*snip*
Proverbs 8:13 The fear of the LORD is hatred of evil. Pride and arrogance and the way of evil and perverted speech I hate.
*emphasis added*

And these are examples of said character-defining ACTIONS. :wave:

Upvote 0

Zebra1552

Urban Nomad. Literally.
Nov 2, 2007
Freezing, America
✟26,738.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Others
God said that, through Holy men of God as the Spirit of God moved them to write.

Thing is.. It seems to me you are reinterpreting 'what is evil' as WHO is evil.. :blush:
Then you aren't reading my posts right and are instead reading into them.

Evil is not an entity, but an action which defines our character, just as love also is an action that defines our character. :sorry:

*emphasis added*

And these are examples of said character-defining ACTIONS. :wave:
Then thoughts, per your own definition, cannot be evil.

Upvote 0

Zeena

..called to BE a Saint
Jul 30, 2004
✟16,853.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Then you aren't reading my posts right and are instead reading into them.
Obviously not, for your very next statement.. ^_^
Then thoughts, per your own definition, cannot be evil.
Thought is something we DO. :wave:

Mathew 6:27
Which of you by taking thought can add one cubit unto his stature?

Phil 4:8
Finally, brethren, whatsoever things are true, whatsoever things are honest, whatsoever things are just, whatsoever things are pure, whatsoever things are lovely, whatsoever things are of good report; if there be any virtue, and if there be any praise, think on these things. :hug:

Upvote 0

Zebra1552

Urban Nomad. Literally.
Nov 2, 2007
Freezing, America
✟26,738.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Others
Obviously not, for your very next statement.. ^_^
Thought is something we DO. :wave:
Thought is not a physical action and often has little to no bearing on what we do.

Mathew 6:27
Which of you by taking thought can add one cubit unto his stature?

Finally, brethren, whatsoever things are true, whatsoever things are honest, whatsoever things are just, whatsoever things are pure, whatsoever things are lovely, whatsoever things are of good report; if there be any virtue, and if there be any praise, think on these things. :hug:
You said evil is an action that defines our character. Thoughts do not define our character any more than the contents of a computer's HDD define the computer's tasks.

Upvote 0

Zeena

..called to BE a Saint
Jul 30, 2004
✟16,853.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Thought is not a physical action and often has little to no bearing on what we do.
But an action nonetheless.. And has bearing on EVERYTHING we do;

Proverbs 23:7a
For as he thinketh in his heart, so is he:

You said evil is an action that defines our character. Thoughts do not define our character any more than the contents of a computer's HDD define the computer's tasks.
Quite the contrary, for our actions do define our character and our actions stem from our heart-motive, which thinks and reasons within itself (as attested above in Proverbs 23:7a);

Ecc 10:2
A wise man's heart is at his right hand; but a fool's heart at his left.

Matt 12:34b-35
for out of the abundance of the heart the mouth speaketh. A good man out of the good treasure of the heart bringeth forth good things: and an evil man out of the evil treasure bringeth forth evil things.

1 Cor 12:3
Wherefore I give you to understand, that no man speaking by the Spirit of God calleth Jesus accursed: and that no man can say that Jesus is the Lord, but by the Holy Ghost.

We receive thought (take thought, as quoted of Jesus is Matt 6:27) from the spiritual realm. Which is WHY we are exhorted to take every thought captive to the obedience of Christ!

Thought is said to spring from the HEART, and as such, does not compute as a "computer's HDD";

1 Cor 2:7-16
But we speak the wisdom of God in a mystery, even the hidden wisdom, which God ordained before the world unto our glory: Which none of the princes of this world knew: for had they known it, they would not have crucified the Lord of glory. But as it is written, Eye hath not seen, nor ear heard, neither have entered into the heart of man, the things which God hath prepared for them that love him.
But God hath revealed them unto us by his Spirit: for the Spirit searcheth all things, yea, the deep things of God. For what man knoweth the things of a man, save the spirit of man which is in him? even so the things of God knoweth no man, but the Spirit of God.
Now we have received, not the spirit of the world, but the spirit which is of God; that we might know the things that are freely given to us of God. Which things also we speak, not in the words which man's wisdom teacheth, but which the Holy Ghost teacheth; comparing spiritual things with spiritual. But the natural man receiveth not the things of the Spirit of God: for they are foolishness unto him: neither can he know them, because they are spiritually discerned. But he that is spiritual judgeth all things, yet he himself is judged of no man. For who hath known the mind of the Lord, that he may instruct him? but we have the mind of Christ.

Therefore is thought to be Spiritually discerned, seeing as thought is of the heart and only God see's our heart.

I said earlier that thought is something we DO..

I'd like to elaborate on that now;

By DO, I mean 'reject' or 'recieve'.

Heb 4:12
For the word of God is quick, and powerful, and sharper than any twoedged sword, piercing even to the dividing asunder of soul and spirit, and of the joints and marrow, and is a discerner of the thoughts and intents of the heart.

Proverbs 2:6
For the LORD giveth wisdom: out of his mouth cometh knowledge and understanding.

1 John 4:1
Beloved, believe not every spirit, but try the spirits whether they are of God: because many false prophets are gone out into the world.

Romans 10:10a
For with the heart man believeth unto righteousness

2 Cor 10:3-6
For though we walk in the flesh, we do not war after the flesh: (For the weapons of our warfare are not carnal, but mighty through God to the pulling down of strong holds; ) Casting down imaginations, and every high thing that exalteth itself against the knowledge of God, and bringing into captivity every thought to the obedience of Christ; And having in a readiness to revenge all disobedience, when your obedience is fulfilled.

Upvote 0

Zebra1552

Urban Nomad. Literally.
Nov 2, 2007
Freezing, America
✟26,738.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Others
But an action nonetheless.. And has bearing on EVERYTHING we do;

Thought is not action. You don't get to go redefining words in defense of what you think the Bible says.

Quite the contrary, for our actions do define our character and our actions stem from our heart-motive, which thinks and reasons within itself (as attested above in Proverbs 23:7a);
That is a straw man. I never said actions don't define our character, I said thoughts don't define our character. And your verse above is taken out of context. That much is obvious from the colon at the end.

Matt 12:34b-35
for out of the abundance of the heart the mouth speaketh. A good man out of the good treasure of the heart bringeth forth good things: and an evil man out of the evil treasure bringeth forth evil things.

1 Cor 12:3
Wherefore I give you to understand, that no man speaking by the Spirit of God calleth Jesus accursed: and that no man can say that Jesus is the Lord, but by the Holy Ghost.

We receive thought (take thought, as quoted of Jesus is Matt 6:27) from the spiritual realm. Which is WHY we are exhorted to take every thought captive to the obedience of Christ!
Non sequitor. Your train of logic derailed at the first stop.
Thought is said to spring from the HEART, and as such, does not compute as a "computer's HDD";
Thought is SAID to spring from the heart. How do you even know that that's accurate?
1 Cor 2:7-16
But we speak the wisdom of God in a mystery, even the hidden wisdom, which God ordained before the world unto our glory: Which none of the princes of this world knew: for had they known it, they would not have crucified the Lord of glory. But as it is written, Eye hath not seen, nor ear heard, neither have entered into the heart of man, the things which God hath prepared for them that love him.
But God hath revealed them unto us by his Spirit: for the Spirit searcheth all things, yea, the deep things of God. For what man knoweth the things of a man, save the spirit of man which is in him? even so the things of God knoweth no man, but the Spirit of God.
Now we have received, not the spirit of the world, but the spirit which is of God; that we might know the things that are freely given to us of God. Which things also we speak, not in the words which man's wisdom teacheth, but which the Holy Ghost teacheth; comparing spiritual things with spiritual. But the natural man receiveth not the things of the Spirit of God: for they are foolishness unto him: neither can he know them, because they are spiritually discerned. But he that is spiritual judgeth all things, yet he himself is judged of no man. For who hath known the mind of the Lord, that he may instruct him? but we have the mind of Christ.

Therefore is thought to be Spiritually discerned, seeing as thought is of the heart and only God see's our heart.

I said earlier that thought is something we DO..

I'd like to elaborate on that now;

By DO, I mean 'reject' or 'recieve'.

For the word of God is quick, and powerful, and sharper than any twoedged sword, piercing even to the dividing asunder of soul and spirit, and of the joints and marrow, and is a discerner of the thoughts and intents of the heart.

Proverbs 2:6
For the LORD giveth wisdom: out of his mouth cometh knowledge and understanding.

1 John 4:1
Beloved, believe not every spirit, but try the spirits whether they are of God: because many false prophets are gone out into the world.

2 Cor 10:3-6
For though we walk in the flesh, we do not war after the flesh: (For the weapons of our warfare are not carnal, but mighty through God to the pulling down of strong holds; ) Casting down imaginations, and every high thing that exalteth itself against the knowledge of God, and bringing into captivity every thought to the obedience of Christ; And having in a readiness to revenge all disobedience, when your obedience is fulfilled.
There you go redefining words again. This conversation is over.

Upvote 0

Zeena

..called to BE a Saint
Jul 30, 2004
✟16,853.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Thought is not action. You don't get to go redefining words in defense of what you think the Bible says.
You can get your words from your dictionary all you want, but the Word of the Lord stands true;

Romans 12:2b
be ye transformed by the renewing of your mind, that ye may prove what is that good, and acceptable, and perfect, will of God.

Finally, brethren, whatsoever things are true, whatsoever things are honest, whatsoever things are just, whatsoever things are pure, whatsoever things are lovely, whatsoever things are of good report; if there be any virtue, and if there be any praise, think on these things.

That is a straw man. I never said actions don't define our character, I said thoughts don't define our character.
All I said was that thoughts define our actions, even as I already quoted from the Scripture;

And your verse above is taken out of context. That much is obvious from the colon at the end.

Do you not believe that as a man, even a wicked man, if you want to be contentious, seeing as this is the context of the Prophets speech "thinketh in his heart, so is he:"?

How does thinketh in his heart not define him? what exactly is your contention with this quote? :confused:

Non sequitor. Your train of logic derailed at the first stop.
Just because you don't believe, doesn't mean it's not true..

Also, there's much more the Lord has revealed to us through the Scriptures which speaks on the truth of being renewed in our mind.. do you not know that we must actively believe the Holy Spirit as He Ministers over us?

Thought is SAID to spring from the heart. How do you even know that that's accurate?
Because it's not coming from us, but from God through the Scriptures;

1 Chronicles 29:18
O LORD God of Abraham, Isaac, and of Israel, our fathers, keep this for ever in the imagination of the thoughts of the heart of thy people, and prepare their heart unto thee:

There you go redefining words again. This conversation is over.
Elaborating is not redefining. Mabey you might like to check your dictionary again :wave:

Now, back to the topic..

I know of a Christian who hates.. His heart is in his weak hand, rather than his strong.. He has placed his heart on the cares of this world and the pleasures thereof, namely pride in the lusts of the flesh..

Luke 12:34
For where your treasure is, there will your heart be also.

James 3:14
But if ye have bitter jealousy and faction in your heart, glory not and lie not against the truth.

Last edited:
Upvote 0