Christians and masks: what am I missing?

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
That may apply to the kinds of masks that health care workers use, but not to masks in general. And when the public began wearing homemade cloth ones or bandanas, that was not criticized or discouraged by the authorities, so I have to agree that chad kincham's basic point has merit.

Upvote 0

RDKirk

Alien, Pilgrim, and Sojourner
Site Supporter
Mar 3, 2013
US
✟1,476,134.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
well, the evidence suggests that masks are the second most effective risk reduction strategy we can follow. So, where does the idea come from that "masks don't work"? Bizarre denialism.

[Poe]It's been proven that masks don't work by the fact of 90% of covid health care workers having died from wearing them. [/Poe]

Upvote 0

RDKirk

Site Supporter
Mar 3, 2013
US
✟1,476,134.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
That may apply to the kinds of masks that health care workers use, but not to masks in general. And when the public began wearing homemade cloth ones or bandanas, that was not criticized or discouraged by the authorities, so I have to agree that chad kincham's basic point has merit.

So now that the truth is known, how long are people going to cling to error?

Clinging to error is the definition of stupidity.

Upvote 0

mama2one

Apr 8, 2018
U.S.A.
✟257,683.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Upvote 0

parousia70

Livin' in yesterday's tomorrow
Site Supporter
Feb 24, 2002
Oregon
✟799,454.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I don't see anything in the Scriptures about wearing masks in the midst of an epidemic
Leviticus 13:45
“Anyone with such a defiling disease must wear torn clothes, let their hair be unkempt, cover the lower part of their face and cry out, ‘Unclean! Unclean!’

• Agree
Reactions: RDKirk
Upvote 0

grasping the after wind

That's grasping after the wind
Jan 18, 2010
Clarence Center NY USA
✟237,637.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
they didn't want people to wear masks because they were afraid there wouldn't be enough for health care workers!

of course, people panicked & masks disappeared from shelves

there ARE enough masks now since many businesses got into making masks

Fauci says public not told to wear masks due to PPE shortages | Daily Mail Online

^ "Dr. Fauci reveals public weren't told to wear masks at start of coronavirus pandemic because of fears of shortages for healthcare workers "

Ever hear the old axiom "Fool me once shame on you, fool me twice shame on me.". When was Fauci telling the truth when he said wearing masks might be counterproductive or when he said masks are effective and everyone should be wearing them? There is no way of knowing what he really believes. The only thing we can be sure of from his own statements about his own admitted lying to the country is that he will say whatever deceptive thing he can if he thinks it will get him the outcome he desires.

Reactions: chad kincham
Upvote 0

chad kincham

Mar 4, 2009
✟62,040.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
they didn't want people to wear masks because they were afraid there wouldn't be enough for health care workers!

of course, people panicked & masks disappeared from shelves

there ARE enough masks now since many businesses got into making masks

Fauci says public not told to wear masks due to PPE shortages | Daily Mail Online

^ "Dr. Fauci reveals public weren't told to wear masks at start of coronavirus pandemic because of fears of shortages for healthcare workers "

The reason is they are useless against viruses.

In fact actual statements by medical doctors say that the general public infects themselves putting on and taking off masks, which are not designed for long term usage, but to be worn for a short time in a hospital environment, when in with infected patients, and discarding them.

Here’s what NBC news and the surgeon general had to say iabout mask wearing by the general public:

But some experts say a mask may give the user a false sense of security. And the eyes — an important pathway for the virus to infect a person — remain exposed even though the mouth and nose are covered.

Surgeon General Jerome Adams has been outspoken against healthy people wearing masks or other coverings in public.

Regarding masks:@WHO @CDCgov & my office have consistently recommended against the general public wearing masks as there is scant or conflicting evidence they benefit individual wearers in a meaningful way, but real concerns about pulling from the healthcare worker supply... pic.twitter.com/uvjT31ZGt7

— U.S. Surgeon General (@Surgeon_General) March 28, 2020
"@WHO @CDCgov and my office have consistently recommended against the general public wearing masks as there is scant or conflicting evidence they benefit individual wearers in a meaningful way," Adams wrote on Twitter.

Facial coverings must also be changed and washed often. And if a mask gets wet, even from the moisture emitted when a person exhales, the fabric could be more likely to transmit the virus.

"Once the mask becomes moist, you don't want to touch your face or the mask because you have to assume it's contaminated," Poland said. Handmade masks can be laundered appropriately in regular home washing machines, he added.

What the World Health Organization [WHO] and the CDC [The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention] have reaffirmed in the last few days is that they do not recommend the general public wear masks.”

“On an individual level, there was a study in 2015 looking at medical students and medical students wearing surgical masks touch their face on average 23 times,” Adams explained. “We know a major way that you can get respiratory diseases like coronavirus is by touching a surface and then touching your face so wearing a mask improperly can actually increase your risk of getting disease.”

When you add to the above the dozen studies showing equal rates of infection between masked and unmasked people, it’s RIDICULOUS for them to insist we must wear those useless face-diapers.

Last edited:
  • Agree
Reactions: Hazelelponi
Upvote 0

mama2one

Apr 8, 2018
U.S.A.
✟257,683.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
which are not designed for long term usage, but to be worn for a short time in a hospital environment, when in with infected patients, and discarding them.

husband & teen frequently change their masks

a friend from another country keeps sending us masks since he's worried about us living in US

Upvote 0

GirdYourLoins

Nov 27, 2016
Brighton, UK
✟122,682.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I don’t wear masks I trust in God.
Thats your choice but I think that we are commanded to love our neighbour as ourselves. I think not wearing a mask makes it more likely to spread the virus to others and in doing so we are not following that commandment. That could include people who are not Christian and dont have faith to fall back on. My point of view is anyone not wearing a mask is being incredibly selfish and could help spread a virus that kills some people and also failing to obey the commandment Love your neighbour as yourself.

Reactions: Brihaha
Upvote 0

dogs4thewin

dog lover
Christian Forums Staff
Hands-on Trainee
CF Ambassadors
Site Supporter
Apr 19, 2012
Georgia U.S. State
✟896,839.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
I usually only wear them if required because I have CP and have found that I cannot put them on myself ( which means someone is putting them on me also some of them will not stay very well, so they keep having to put them on me. When this first started I HATED the texture on my face to the point that it took all the self-control I had to not pull them off. I have improved with at least tolerating them on my face, but still will only wear them if required. ( or like I went to the doctor last week I knew I had a common cold, so I did not ask if I could remove it when we got back to the room. * as I otherwise ALWAYS do.

Reactions: Grace2022
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

JohnPaul88

A Soldier In God Army.
Dec 18, 2021
Trenton
✟38,521.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Thats your choice but I think that we are commanded to love our neighbour as ourselves. I think not wearing a mask makes it more likely to spread the virus to others and in doing so we are not following that commandment. That could include people who are not Christian and dont have faith to fall back on. My point of view is anyone not wearing a mask is being incredibly selfish and could help spread a virus that kills some people and also failing to obey the commandment Love your neighbour as yourself.
Those masks do nothing against the virus.

Upvote 0

Grace2022

Jun 9, 2017
Worcestershire.
✟92,922.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
TLDR: What are some reasons Christians have for not wearing masks to help prevent the spread of Covid?

Context/background: I'm really confused. I see many reasons from scripture and otherwise that convince me that wearing a mask around others seems like the right thing to do, but I see tons of Christians around me that must not have reached the same conclusion. Among them are wise, intelligent people that really love the Lord. So I feel like I'm missing something important - what is it? What are the reasons that Christians have for not wearing masks? I'm personally not looking for a debate on the relative merits of these reasons - just a list would be nice. Help me understand.

The reasons I've seen expressed go something like this:
  1. I trust God and don't want to live in fear
  2. I don't believe what the authorities are telling us
  3. Don't tell me what to do
  4. I was made in the image of God and don't think I should cover my face
What else?
If this has already been beat to death in previous threads - can you point me towards them? I'm new here :)

Thanks

Hi, I can see no good reason not to wear a mask.

Upvote 0

Grace2022

Jun 9, 2017
Worcestershire.
✟92,922.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
I usually only wear them if required because I have CP and have found that I cannot put them on myself ( which means someone is putting them on me also some of them will not stay very well, so they keep having to put them on me. When this first started I HATED the texture on my face to the point that it took all the self-control I had to not pull them off. I have improved with at least tolerating them on my face, but still will only wear them if required. ( or like I went to the doctor last week I knew I had a common cold, so I did not ask if I could remove it when we got back to the room. * as I otherwise ALWAYS do.
I agree, I don't like them, uncomfortable. But I wear them when I must. I find it hard to breathe, I get hot, the string presses on my ears.

Upvote 0

RDKirk

Site Supporter
Mar 3, 2013
US
✟1,476,134.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Ever hear the old axiom "Fool me once shame on you, fool me twice shame on me.". When was Fauci telling the truth when he said wearing masks might be counterproductive or when he said masks are effective and everyone should be wearing them? There is no way of knowing what he really believes. The only thing we can be sure of from his own statements about his own admitted lying to the country is that he will say whatever deceptive thing he can if he thinks it will get him the outcome he desires.

From the very beginning, it was clear in the words that came out of his mouth that he was discouraging the mass wearing of masks solely to protect the supply of N-95 masks for the medical community. Maybe it took a careful notice of his parenthetical phrases, but he did say enough to realize the truth.

He was wrong in that he didn't understand how the medical supply logistics worked or how American industry works--there would not have been any danger to the medical supply, rather supply would have been greatly enhanced if he had told the full, direct truth from the beginning.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

GirdYourLoins

Nov 27, 2016
Brighton, UK
✟122,682.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Those masks do nothing against the virus.
Masks do nothing to protect the wearer, but they do reduce the germs breathed out by people with covid and that is why they are worn. Most people agree this is the case. Not wearing it because it doesnt protect you but it would help protect others is something very selfish.

Upvote 0

GreekOrthodox

Psalti Chrysostom
Oct 25, 2010
Yorktown VA
✟176,342.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Upvote 0

RDKirk

Site Supporter
Mar 3, 2013
US
✟1,476,134.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Masks do nothing to protect the wearer, but they do reduce the germs breathed out by people with covid and that is why they are worn. Most people agree this is the case. Not wearing it because it doesnt protect you but it would help protect others is something very selfish.

An N-95 or KN-95 or KF-95 mask worn properly does protect the wearer.

It's a tragedy that the correct information was not communicated from the beginning.

Upvote 0