Mar 28, 2016
CA
✟78,248.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I have a better idea, morse.

Why don't YOU provide official scripture proving that prayers for the dead are ineffective.

It's an historical fact that prayers for the dead were part of the synagogue services during Our Lord's earthly sojourn. He NEVER condemned this practice, and even led such services Himself.

The story of Lararus and the rich man comes to mind. There is no changing the situation after death so what is the prayer for?
Ecclesiastes 9:5-6 ESV / 31 helpful votes
For the living know that they will die, but the dead know nothing, and they have no more reward, for the memory of them is forgotten. Their love and their hate and their envy have already perished, and forever they have no more share in all that is done under the sun.

Upvote 0

mark kennedy

Natura non facit saltum
Site Supporter
Mar 16, 2004
Indianapolis, IN
✟549,630.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
Hi David, Halloween is on October 31st. Of course, so is Reformation Day, so I'll be celebrating that instead :oldthumbsup:

If I ever do decide to hand out candy to trick or treaters, I'll give them Hershey bars with Luther's 95 Theses printed on the wrapper (in honor of the only holiday worth celebrating on that day :)).

--David
Well you kind of beat me to it but I tend to agree:

Reformation Day (October 31) commemorates Luther’s posting of his 95 Theses on the door of the Castle Church in Wittenberg, Germany on October 31, 1517. This act triggered the Reformation, as they were immediately translated and distributed across Germany in a matter of weeks. The Protestant Reformation was the rediscovery of the doctrine of justification—that is, salvation by grace alone (Gal. 2:21) through faith alone in Christ alone. It was also the protest against the corruption within the Roman Catholic Church. (The Connection between Halloween & Reformation Day)
A holiday remembering martyrs who died for the name of Christ doesn't seem all that bad to me. As far as soul cakes to appease the malevolent spirits, I have my suspicions this is a bad idea. On the other hand, who doesn't like cookies?

Grace and peace,
Mark

Upvote 0

nChrist

AKA: Tom - Saved By Grace Through Faith
Site Supporter
Mar 21, 2003
Oklahoma, USA
✟902,160.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
All days belong to the LORD, and we just need to reserve ALL WORSHIP to the true and Living God. I'm not going to give a single day to the devil. It's just as simple as that.

Upvote 0

Strong in Him

Great is thy faithfulness
Site Supporter
Mar 4, 2005
NW England
✟1,054,711.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I'm planning on making soul cakes and offering an akathist for the departed. What do you think? Are you doing something similar?

Not at all.
I'm planning on ignoring Halloween. Though I am leading a Bible study in the afternoon.

If our church were doing anything, it would be along the lines of a light party - something to show there is an alternative celebration. Hallow-e'en is the eve of all hallows; all saints day. I would guess that very few people outside the church, if any, know this. It's just become an excuse for kids to dress up and go round asking for sweets, which has been promoted by retailers of fancy dress costumes and confectionery. At any other time, kids knocking on the doors of strangers and threatening to play a trick on said strangers unless they get sweets and/or gifts, would be frowned upon, if not forbidden.

Upvote 0

Mountainmike

Site Supporter
Nov 2, 2016
Northern uk
✟561,189.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
I really do love some of the eastern liturgy and prayers.... i wish catholicism used some of them! And also Eastern attitudes to such as advent.

So go for it!

But I struggle to understand orthodox thinking on "akathist for the repose of souls"

Which includes such as..
"Forgive, O Lord,
those who have died in past ages all their sins, receive them
into the realms of light and joy, hasten to open Thy Fatherly
arms to them, and hear us who celebrate their memory"

For catholics who do consider a state or place of purgation, we accept the idea that prayers after death may be effective for helping them to be received into heaven. Its hard to justify without conceiving of such a state (or place) where the souls presently are.

I also listen to such as Kallistos Ware - (an orthodox involved in ecumenism dialogue with RC) - saying that if purgatory is considered more of a hospital and less of a prison, it doesnt offend orthodox thinking.

So I really dont get orthodox thinking : the purpose of such as the akathist for repose - seems to contradict opposition to a purgatory of some description ( as a state or place) - because the question is where are the souls when you say the akathist? If they are already in heaven how does it help them?

Its a genuine question, I dont understand.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

salt-n-light

Site Supporter
Aug 8, 2017
Rosedale
✟165,859.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Celibate
I'm planning on making soul cakes and offering an akathist for the departed. What do you think? Are you doing something similar?

No, but question. Do you actually believe in what soul cakes signify in the process,helping saved a deceased’s soul?

Upvote 0

Barney2.0

Site Supporter
Dec 1, 2017
Los Angeles
✟451,221.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
The real Christian way of celebrating All Hallows Eve is to offer prayers to the dead and remember the sacrifice of Christ. That’s what Halloween was really about, my advice is to stay away from dressing up and all pagan incorporations into this authentic Christian holiday and just dedicate the day to prayers for the dead, praying for intercession of the Saints, and remembering the sacrifice of Christ and his victory over death.

Upvote 0

Dkh587

Site Supporter
Jun 6, 2014
Southeast
✟552,407.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Why celebrate a holiday for demons, devils, zombies, and death???

This "word pseudo holiday" glorifies Satan and his minions. It's a dark "holiday", just look at the tv and culture.

Christmas and Thanksgiving have redeeming qualities: you celebrate the birth of Christ (any day counts) and you give thanks unto the Lord......
but what redeeming qualities does Halloween have? None, it is all about demons.
Christmas is just as pagan as Halloween is.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Not David

I'm back!
Apr 6, 2018
USA
✟231,310.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
The story of Lararus and the rich man comes to mind. There is no changing the situation after death so what is the prayer for?
Ecclesiastes 9:5-6 ESV / 31 helpful votes
For the living know that they will die, but the dead know nothing, and they have no more reward, for the memory of them is forgotten. Their love and their hate and their envy have already perished, and forever they have no more share in all that is done under the sun.
This verse males it sound like there is no Resurrection and I wouldn't be surprised since not so many people in the Old Testament believed in it.

Upvote 0

Not David

I'm back!
Apr 6, 2018
USA
✟231,310.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
All days belong to the LORD, and we just need to reserve ALL WORSHIP to the true and Living God. I'm not going to give a single day to the devil. It's just as simple as that.
Non sense. No Christian reserves a single day for the devil.

Upvote 0

Not David

I'm back!
Apr 6, 2018
USA
✟231,310.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
I really do love some of the eastern liturgy and prayers.... i wish catholicism used some of them! And also Eastern attitudes to such as advent.

So go for it!

But I struggle to understand orthodox thinking on "akathist for the repose of souls"

Which includes such as..
"Forgive, O Lord,
those who have died in past ages all their sins, receive them
into the realms of light and joy, hasten to open Thy Fatherly
arms to them, and hear us who celebrate their memory"

For catholics who do consider a state or place of purgation, we accept the idea that prayers after death may be effective for helping them to be received into heaven. Its hard to justify without conceiving of such a state (or place) where the souls presently are.

I also listen to such as Kallistos Ware - (an orthodox involved in ecumenism dialogue with RC) - saying that if purgatory is considered more of a hospital and less of a prison, it doesnt offend orthodox thinking.

So I really dont get orthodox thinking : the purpose of such as the akathist for repose - seems to contradict opposition to a purgatory of some description ( as a state or place) - because the question is where are the souls when you say the akathist? If they are already in heaven how does it help them?

Its a genuine question, I dont understand.
I'm kind of new to Orthodoxy, but I think a lot of people believe those prayers are either for the people in Hades to help them somehow or for people in Heaven with Theosis. If there is any Orthodox who can explain it better then please correct me.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Resha Caner

Expert Fool
Sep 16, 2010
✟155,600.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married

I don't know if you're aware of this or not, but it seems many Christians are ignorant of the fact that, despite the pagan aspects of Halloween, the word is a distortion of "All Hallowed Eve" - the day before All Saints Day, which IS a Christian celebration with deep roots in the traditional churches.

That our consumer culture has so appropriated Halloween that Christians have forgotten there was once a Christian holiday associated with it is very sad. But, it's happening all across the calendar. Easter is all about Mardi Gras, Christmas is all about the feast of Saint Nicholas, etc.

Reactions: Not David
Upvote 0

2Timothy2:15

Mar 28, 2016
CA
✟78,248.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
This verse males it sound like there is no Resurrection and I wouldn't be surprised since not so many people in the Old Testament believed in it.

So do you think God is contradicting himself or maybe you just do not understand what is being said?

Upvote 0

2Timothy2:15

Mar 28, 2016
CA
✟78,248.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Can you confirm is it God who is talking and not Solomon?

2 Timothy 3:16-17 King James Version (KJV)
16 All scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness:

17 That the man of God may be perfect, thoroughly furnished unto all good works.

Upvote 0

Not David

I'm back!
Apr 6, 2018
USA
✟231,310.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
2 Timothy 3:16-17 King James Version (KJV)
16 All scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness:

17 That the man of God may be perfect, thoroughly furnished unto all good works.
Job's friends words are in the Scripture and they were wrong.

Upvote 0