Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Why celebrate a holiday for demons, devils, zombies, and death???

This "word pseudo holiday" glorifies Satan and his minions. It's a dark "holiday", just look at the tv and culture.

Christmas and Thanksgiving have redeeming qualities: you celebrate the birth of Christ (any day counts) and you give thanks unto the Lord......
but what redeeming qualities does Halloween have? None, it is all about demons.

Upvote 0

Not David

I'm back!
Apr 6, 2018
USA
✟231,310.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Why celebrate a holiday for demons, devils, zombies, and death???

This "word pseudo holiday" glorifies Satan and his minions. It's a dark "holiday", just look at the tv and culture.

Christmas and Thanksgiving have redeeming qualities: you celebrate the birth of Christ (any day counts) and you give thanks unto the Lord......
but what redeeming qualities does Halloween have? None, it is all about demons.
Did you read my title?

Upvote 0

Not David

I'm back!
Apr 6, 2018
USA
✟231,310.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
The dead are dead, please provide some official scripture.
"But under the tunic of each of the dead they found amulets sacred to the idols of Jamnia, which the law forbids the Jews to wear. So it was clear to all that this was why these men had been slain. They all therefore praised the ways of the Lord, the just judge who brings to light the things that are hidden. Turning to supplication, they prayed that the sinful deed might be fully blotted out. The noble Judas warned the soldiers to keep themselves free from sin, for they had seen with their own eyes what had happened because of the sin of those who had fallen. He then took up a collection among all his soldiers, amounting to two thousand silver drachmas, which he sent to Jerusalem to provide for an expiatory sacrifice. In doing this he acted in a very excellent and noble way, inasmuch as he had the resurrection of the dead in view; for if he were not expecting the fallen to rise again, it would have been useless and foolish to pray for them in death. But if he did this with a view to the splendid reward that awaits those who had gone to rest in godliness, it was a holy and pious thought. Thus he made atonement for the dead that they might be freed from this sin." (2 Maccabees 12:40-46).

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

ewq1938

I love you three.
Christian Forums Staff
Administrator
Site Supporter
Nov 5, 2011
✟916,702.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
Maybe we need to invent a "Holyween" and have a Christian theme. We just gotta figure out what's relevant to Christians at the end of October.

Upvote 0

Not David

I'm back!
Apr 6, 2018
USA
✟231,310.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Maybe we need to invent a "Holyween" and have a Christian theme. We just gotta figure out what's relevant to Christians at the end of October.
Catholics celebrate All Hallow's Eve and Lutherans Reformation Day.

Upvote 0

Monk Brendan

Site Supporter
Jul 21, 2016
Phoenix, Arizona
Visit site
✟294,430.00
Country
United States
Faith
Melkite Catholic
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
The dead are dead, please provide some official scripture.
I have a better idea, morse.

Why don't YOU provide official scripture proving that prayers for the dead are ineffective.

It's an historical fact that prayers for the dead were part of the synagogue services during Our Lord's earthly sojourn. He NEVER condemned this practice, and even led such services Himself.

Upvote 0

St_Worm2

Simul Justus et Peccator
Site Supporter
Jan 28, 2002
✟2,928,212.00
Country
United States
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
I'm planning on making soul cakes and offering an akathist for the departed. What do you think? Are you doing something similar?
Hi David, Halloween is on October 31st. Of course, so is Reformation Day, so I'll be celebrating that instead :oldthumbsup:

If I ever do decide to hand out candy to trick or treaters, I'll give them Hershey bars with Luther's 95 Theses printed on the wrapper (in honor of the only holiday worth celebrating on that day :)).

--David

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Hazelelponi

:sighing:
Site Supporter
Jun 25, 2018
USA
✟690,277.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
If you want a harvest festival there is Sukkot also known as the Feast of Tabernacles.....

It's not on Halloween, but it's part of our faith which I'm sure would be better.

It would definitely be a celebration of Jesus instead of some death cult thing...

Upvote 0

Not David

I'm back!
Apr 6, 2018
USA
✟231,310.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Hi David, Halloween is on October 31st. Of course, so is Reformation Day, so I'll be celebrating that instead :oldthumbsup:

If I ever do decide to hand out candy to trick or treaters, I'll give them Hershey bars with Luther's 95 Theses printed on the wrapper (in honor of the only holiday worth celebrating on that day :)).

--David
That's interesting.

Upvote 0

Not David

I'm back!
Apr 6, 2018
USA
✟231,310.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
If you want a harvest festival there is Sukkot also known as the Feast of Tabernacles.....

It's not on Halloween, but it's part of our faith which I'm sure would be better.

It would definitely be a celebration of Jesus instead of some death cult thing...
I'm curious do you know if Muslims pray for the dead.

Upvote 0

Hazelelponi

:sighing:
Site Supporter
Jun 25, 2018
USA
✟690,277.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Last edited:
Upvote 0

St_Worm2

Simul Justus et Peccator
Site Supporter
Jan 28, 2002
✟2,928,212.00
Country
United States
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married

Hi Hazelelponi, my church celebrates an annual harvest festival for the kids (in place of celebrating Halloween). I don't believe we started doing it because of Sukkot, but I'm going to find out (because that sounds like a great idea :)).

Thanks!

--David

Upvote 0