2Timothy2:15

Mar 28, 2016
CA
✟78,248.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I did not just post "church fathers", so it's apparent that you just skip paragraphs.
Also, claiming that "God has lead you to truth" is something the everybody has made to elevate their views. JW's, Mormons and even Muslims claim this. How can you claim the HS leads you to truth, when you were given sources about the first christians during the beginning of Christianity?Your "truth" isn't truth, it is just an interpretation that you learned from a protestant who founded your denomination.

It is the rejection of praying for the dead that is a tradition of man because you see it date as far back as ancient Judaism.

The fact you state the Muslims, JW, and Mormons claim to be guided by the Holy Spirit tells me you know nothing of those. You are starting to insult now and I see this is going no where since you know everything.

Upvote 0

Not David

I'm back!
Apr 6, 2018
USA
✟231,310.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
The fact you state the Muslims, JW, and Mormons claim to be guided by the Holy Spirit tells me you know nothing of those. You are starting to insult now and I see this is going no where since you know everything.
You are the one who claims that the Church Fathers are irrelevant since you have the Holy Spirit when they have it too.

Upvote 0

Mar 28, 2016
CA
✟78,248.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
You are the one who claims that the Church Fathers are irrelevant since you have the Holy Spirit when they have it too.

History written by the group who claim to have exclusivity to it when it contradicts the word is what I am pointing out. If one hangs his hat on that and says well I guess it is right but does not earnestly examine the word to see if it matches is the one who is not looking for truth. There is no historical evidence of instituting prayer for the dead prior to 300 - 400AD and guess what else was formed then? Anyhow, I can not verify if someone who lived 1800 years ago had the Holy Spirit or not. I can however testify that I have the Holy Spirit and I know it 100%.

You can go on praying for the dead if you want. You can not claim you were not told the truth and it is up to you to do your own study. You can also go on thinking you can "Christianize" a satanic holiday and open doors. Again you can not say you were not warned to look into it for yourself. I tell you the truth out of love, my hands are clear of your blood.

Ask yourself honestly. Since you started this thread have you considered the words, the videos, the scriptures others have shown about the real roots of Halloween or have you just held to your opinion and tradition ignoring all of it? That question is for you to reflect on, you can or not, it is up to you.

Upvote 0

Cis.jd

Dec 3, 2015
New York, NY
✟140,465.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single

They do claim it, not God-the Holy Spirit, but God leading and revealing the "truth". It is just a comparison to your reply, not an insult. You can't just reject the early-christians because of you think your interpretation of scripture is right. It's fine that you don't want to believe in these things, being skeptic towards it isn't a problem and it's your right. It's when you start making statements about it being unscriptural or unheard of that opens the need of fact checking.

• Agree
Reactions: Not David
Upvote 0

Mar 28, 2016
CA
✟78,248.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
They do claim it, not God-the Holy Spirit, but God leading and revealing the "truth". It is just a comparison to your reply, not an insult. You can't just reject the early-christians because of you think your interpretation of scripture is right. It's fine that you don't want to believe in these things, being skeptic towards it isn't a problem and it's your right. It's when you start making statements about it being unscriptural or unheard of that opens the need of fact checking.
I am sorry but praying to the dead is unscriptural. To clarify, Mormons follow Joespeph Smith, Muslims follow Mohammed, both claim to have extra biblical "truths" from so called angels that contradict the bible. Neither claim to follow the Holy Spirit and both deny Jesus is the Son of GOD fully man and fully God. JWs are a flat out cult. So yes that is an insult, to say I am lumped in with them because I am not Catholic like you. Not only did you insult me, but every other bible believing follower of Christ who is a Christian out side of the Catholic Church. Interesting you say I follow some denominational leaders interpretation, another insult. I follow Christ, who do you follow the pope and the traditions of the church elders? Yes you did insult. Lucky for you I am not one of these thin skinned hypocrites on here that report every slight to the moderators....:)

Upvote 0

Cis.jd

Dec 3, 2015
New York, NY
✟140,465.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
There is genocide today. Is there a reason to say this?

There is also satan worshiping today. If you are going to be against celebrating Halloween because of whatever "horror" related stories attached to it, then what more with Thanksgiving? A day which historically involves the genocide of Native American Indians? That is a truer form of Satanic.

Upvote 0

Cis.jd

Dec 3, 2015
New York, NY
✟140,465.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
I am sorry but praying to the dead is unscriptural. To clarify, Mormons follow Joespeph Smith, Muslims follow Mohammed, both claim to have extra biblical "truths" from so called angels that contradict the bible. Neither claim to follow the Holy Spirit and both deny Jesus is the Son of GOD fully man and fully God. JWs are a flat out cult. So yes that is an insult, to say I am lumped in with them because I am not Catholic like you. Not only did you insult me, but every other bible believing follower of Christ who is a Christian out side of the Catholic Church. Interesting you say I follow some denominational leaders interpretation, another insult. I follow Christ, who do you follow the pope and the traditions of the church elders? Yes you did insult. Lucky for you I am not one of these thin skinned hypocrites on here that report every slight to the moderators....:)

Yes, we all know about Josepeh smith and the muslims. Them being wrong isn't the point, the fact is they claimed the same thing you did and also believed their misinterpretations of scripture as fact. Praying to the dead isn't from Catholicism, it's from Judaism as shown in the Maccabees. This was shown to you, yet you still want to repeat your accusations against the Church.
You were not insulted, you were shown truth - and the support for it through scripture and by history.

Upvote 0

Not David

I'm back!
Apr 6, 2018
USA
✟231,310.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
History written by the group who claim to have exclusivity to it when it contradicts the word is what I am pointing out. If one hangs his hat on that and says well I guess it is right but does not earnestly examine the word to see if it matches is the one who is not looking for truth. There is no historical evidence of instituting prayer for the dead prior to 300 - 400AD and guess what else was formed then? Anyhow, I can not verify if someone who lived 1800 years ago had the Holy Spirit or not. I can however testify that I have the Holy Spirit and I know it 100%.

You can go on praying for the dead if you want. You can not claim you were not told the truth and it is up to you to do your own study. You can also go on thinking you can "Christianize" a satanic holiday and open doors. Again you can not say you were not warned to look into it for yourself. I tell you the truth out of love, my hands are clear of your blood.

Ask yourself honestly. Since you started this thread have you considered the words, the videos, the scriptures others have shown about the real roots of Halloween or have you just held to your opinion and tradition ignoring all of it? That question is for you to reflect on, you can or not, it is up to you.
I have only found faulty interpretations and condescending talk from people who think the early Church was like a Southern Baptist Church which it is totally ahistorical.

Upvote 0

mark kennedy

Natura non facit saltum
Site Supporter
Mar 16, 2004
Indianapolis, IN
✟549,630.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
Christmas is just as pagan as Halloween is.
Thats true but most holidays originally had a pagan origin, usually coinciding with the changing of the seasons. The ancient Hebrews had their holy convocations during the time of the harvest. Apparently Christians were attending the feast of Mithra so decided to have an alternative celebration, thats how we got Christmas. Easter is different, it coincides with Passover but there are no specific instructions to have the Lord's Supper then. Christianity doesn't really have holidays prescribe in Scripture. I suppose it's harnless ebough but even treating Sunday like a Sabbath gives me pause. I certainly have little intrest in a pagan feast that celebrates some veil between the worlds or communion with the dead.

Upvote 0

Mar 28, 2016
CA
✟78,248.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
There is also satan worshiping today. If you are going to be against celebrating Halloween because of whatever "horror" related stories attached to it, then what more with Thanksgiving? A day which historically involves the genocide of Native American Indians? That is a truer form of Satanic.

There is no satan worshiping today? Wow, the devil has you fooled. Just google it bud. The fact you do not discern the uptick in spiritual warfare in the current season tells a ton.

I think I heard it all now..Thanksgiving, the true satanic holiday....lol...smh

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Cis.jd

Dec 3, 2015
New York, NY
✟140,465.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
There is no satan worshiping today? Wow, the devil has you fooled. Just google it bud. The fact you do not discern the uptick in spiritual warfare in the current season tells a ton.

I think I heard it all now..Thanksgiving, the true satanic holiday....lol...smh
I think you need to read what you are responding too first, unless you are intentionally misrepresenting what I said.

Upvote 0

Mar 28, 2016
CA
✟78,248.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I think you need to read what you are responding too first, unless you are intentionally misrepresenting what I said.

That was my bad, I did misread your comment about satan worshipers. Never the less, the comment you made about Thanksgiving was ludicrous.

Upvote 0

Newtheran

Sep 10, 2018
South
✟34,289.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
I'm planning on making soul cakes

I'm not sure what a soul cake is, but for quite a few years I've handed out ziploc bags with Hershey "minis" in them along with a cartoon Christian tract.

It's the only night of the year that people will voluntarily come to your door to hear about Jesus.

Upvote 0

Cis.jd

Dec 3, 2015
New York, NY
✟140,465.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
That was my bad, I did misread your comment about satan worshipers. Never the less, the comment you made about Thanksgiving was ludicrous.

What was ludicrous? The actual history of it being connected to the Native American genocide is satanic?

Upvote 0

Dorothy Mae

May 26, 2018
Canton south of Germany
✟75,214.00
Country
Switzerland
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Nonsense. Thanksgiving was a days long celebration in gratefulness to God where the native people were also invited to the feasting.

• Winner
Reactions: 2Timothy2:15
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Dorothy Mae

May 26, 2018
Canton south of Germany
✟75,214.00
Country
Switzerland
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
What was ludicrous? The actual history of it being connected to the Native American genocide is satanic?
The actual history is the Pilgrims and the native peoples got along great and the native americans were invited to the feast. That is the actual history.

Upvote 0

Tropical Wilds

Little Lebowski Urban Achiever
Oct 2, 2009
New England
✟195,052.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
The actual history is the Pilgrims and the native peoples got along great and the native americans were invited to the feast. That is the actual history.

Except it kind of isn’t.

The actual history is that the pilgrims got their butts handed to them the first 6+ months they arrived and only survived because they had the dumb luck to land in a village/town left abandoned by Native Americans following an epidemic. The settlers fought with Native Americans off and on until several other Native American nations (who were eventually supported by the French) turned on each other.

One of those nations said “Hey, these guys have guns and they’re slaughtering us because we don’t, how about in exchange for peace and combining our nations, you protect us?” And the settlers said “Um, nah, we don’t partner with people who aren’t white. Let’s do a ‘separate but equal’ thing where the center of your society is never more than three days away from us and you teach us how to use the land in exchange for protection when the war hits our doorstep?” The Native Americans almost passed on the opportunity as being so close all the time hobbled them (they were very nomadic and traveled to follow food and good weather), but ultimately accepted because they felt they had no other choice and they really thought the guns were quite cool. So they stayed and taught the settlers stuff and the settlers sort of kept them safe when it was convenient to do so.

Finally, fall came, the settlers were pretty well set up, so they decided to celebrate by firing their guns in the air. The Native Americans heard the shooting, thought there was an invasion on the settlers, and came with their warriors to support them. When they arrived, the settlers said “no, we are good, we are just celebrating our good harvest and Reformation day.” The Native Americans didn’t believe them because shooting guns in the air to celebrate seems implausible and stupid. They thought they had struck a secret pact with another tribe, so they stayed on the outskirts and ready to battle for 5 days.

By that time, their leader was wondering where the warriors were at, so he came down and heard the stupid-settler-gun story. He was alarmed and met with the leaders of the settlement, where he said “yo, guys, having a big feast using stuff that should be saved for our incredibly harsh winters is pretty dumb... You shouldn’t do that.” The settlers said “MYOB” and asked him to leave. Then the leader returned saw his hungry men who had been sitting on the outskirts for 5 days because of a war they thought was coming and so he went back to the settler’s leaders and asked if they could eat some of the feast too, seeing as they were allies and hungry and such. The settlers said no and turned them away, to which the Native American leader said “I insist” and was rebuffed, so he said “listen, the only reason we are here is to save you and we think this shooting guns into the air story is pretty stupid, plus we aren’t set up as well for winter because we were helping you... So we are going out to hunt some animals to bring to this feast and be back in a day and you’re going to let us feast with you to prove we are still allies or we are going to have problems.” They sai

The settlers said “ok fine whatever” and allowed a handful of Native American leaders to sit in the vicinity of a party held only for the settlement leaders, that they were begrudgingly invited to and allowed them eat the food they brought for themselves and some corn. An overwhelming majority of people, both settlers and Native American, were not a part of the celebration because they were very much segregated and settlers didn’t invite women and children to many parties anyway. By the end of the party, which lasted a few days, everybody got pretty drunk and co-mingled as happy drunk people so often do, before everybody went to their separate villages and ride out the winters alone, segregated as before.

Ultimately the Native Americans were right as we broke our treaty with that nation in favor of another nation who traded beaver pelts for corn (which would basically be like trading a bar of gold for a stick of gum) and that Native American nation wanted to protect the settlers who would make such stupid trades, so they teamed up to fight the other nation, which retreated from the area. Then the settlers realized that pelts for corn was a dumb trade so they fought that nation too.

When the landscape became a like hopelessly confused game of Risk where Native American nation vs Native American nation vs Settlers vs French vs other small random advisories, the settlers said “hey remember that peaceful meal where we all got hammered and had a good time? We should do that again sometime” and the Native Americans said “Nah, we’re good, you all stink.” Settlers said “ok, fine, be that way” and... Well... We know what went on from there.

Ultimately, Thanksgiving became a thing because of The Reformation and non Catholics were pretty bitter they were required to skip work for church 150ish day’s a year... So they created Thanksgiving. Thanksgiving is more a middle finger to King Henry VIII and the Catholic Church, less of a “Native Americans are great, let’s party with them” kind of event. Well, truthfully, it was a middle finger to King Henry, then we didn’t celebrate it for awhile, then we did, but we called it something else and it was about being thankful we pushed the British out, then we didn’t celebrate it for awhile again, then Lincoln decided to celebrate it formally during the Civil War to celebrate the North’s successes in the war vs the South... Then it became a means to antagonize the south. Then we started to celebrate it after The Reconstruction to remind the south of their place, then we really started to celebrate it around WWI as a means of boosting national pride, then we really REALLY started celebrating in and around WWII for the same reasons.

So really, a lot of Thanksgiving is rooted in spite, LoL.

Last edited:
Upvote 0