✟55,225.00
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Originally posted by pgrmretaliation
If any one would like a friendly debate about christianity, Harry Potter, or Dungeons and Dragons. Here is your chance. By the way, i take part in all three of those. :)

Okay, I have one for you... Don't you think Harry Potter sets a bad example for kids? In every one of the books, Harry breaks rules and lies to get out of trouble. Isn't that a bad example? I've always been a bit concerned about that; if I have kids, and they read Harry Potter, I'm gonna have to have a talk with them about why lying isn't *actually* a good idea.

Upvote 0
i dont think the fact that the book envolves witchcraft and scorcery is debatable. the main character is a witch, there are spells in the book. this person has supernatural powers that are not from Jesus Christ. dungeons and dragons, its full of scorcery, and magic that does not come from Jesus Christ.
the word of god shuns all magic and scorcery and witchcraft.

it has been stated by high ranking witches today that harry potter was the best thing that ever happened to their cause.
it gets children aquainted and familair with the arts of witchcraft.

the fact that witch craft and scorcery are an abomination to god is not debatable.

i once aregued this before, and someone said that this would also mean that NARNIA and THE HOBBIT are also wrong.
THE HOBBIT is no diffrent than dungeons and dragons in my eyes, and i see no good in it.

NARNIA, now that i grew up with myself, and it is a story that can be seen as completely parralel with the bible and the gospel story, the lion being god, the witch being satan, the white stag that if caught can cure all sickness or something like that, etc.

i cannot tell you how to live, but my own concience doesnt find narnia wrong, yet it will not allow me to read harry potter or dungeons and dragons or the hobbit.
will it send you to hell? maybe not.
but there are certain things i stay away from anyway.

Upvote 0

seebs

God Made Me A Skeptic
Apr 9, 2002
Saint Paul, MN
Visit site
✟55,225.00
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Originally posted by psalms 22.3

it has been stated by high ranking witches today that harry potter was the best thing that ever happened to their cause.
it gets children aquainted and familair with the arts of witchcraft.

The only place I've seen this stated was _The Onion_, which is a parody newspaper.

the fact that witch craft and scorcery are an abomination to god is not debatable.

So, Solomon wasn't so wise as all that, I take it?

i once aregued this before, and someone said that this would also mean that NARNIA and THE HOBBIT are also wrong.
THE HOBBIT is no diffrent than dungeons and dragons in my eyes, and i see no good in it.

Perhaps you should look to the fruit it bears in the world. Tolkein, after all, was the one who led C. S. Lewis to Christianity. Narnia would never have existed if not for Tolkein...

To see good in it, you only need to look at children and adults captivated by the beauty of imagination.

Upvote 0
You are overlooking one very, very important point. IT'S FICTION. Its isn't real, sure witchcraft is real but this isn't. I too have debated this before, with REAL witches even, wiccans and the like. they claim that Harry Potter is nothing like their type of witchcraft and that it is all fiction. this not only gets rid of D&D and LOTR(lord of the rings) but most of classic childrens literiture. i believe very strongly in imagination and creativity. if you haven't read lotr or harry potter than you cannot critisize it. you have no right to critisize something that you are not familiar with. i recommend you read an article called "Confessions of a Dungeons and Dragons Addict". the author is a christian and a role-playing game player.

Upvote 0

seebs

God Made Me A Skeptic
Apr 9, 2002
Saint Paul, MN
Visit site
✟55,225.00
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
first off, have your read the books?

Well, he says he "takes part in all three", so I'd assume he's a Christian who plays D&D and reads Harry Potter. I am too, so I'll happily make the case for the defense.

Upvote 0
it really bothers me when people complain about good things,i saw spider-man yesterday and there was a really good quote in it. it said "no matter how much you do for them eventually they will hate you." J.K. Rowling gives us Harry Potter, suddenly children and adults that never read before are taking to books but still people reject it as satanic. there is not a single reference to satin, lucifer, the devil, or anything. the books are actually quite moral. they teach self control, fairness, justice, and other ideals that are very lacking in today's world.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

seebs

God Made Me A Skeptic
Apr 9, 2002
Saint Paul, MN
Visit site
✟55,225.00
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
You are overlooking one very, very important point. IT'S FICTION. Its isn't real, sure witchcraft is real but this isn't. I too have debated this before, with REAL witches even, wiccans and the like. they claim that Harry Potter is nothing like their type of witchcraft and that it is all fiction. this not only gets rid of D&D and LOTR(lord of the rings) but most of classic childrens literiture. i believe very strongly in imagination and creativity. if you haven't read lotr or harry potter than you cannot critisize it. you have no right to critisize something that you are not familiar with. i recommend you read an article called "Confessions of a Dungeons and Dragons Addict". the author is a christian and a role-playing game player.

An excellent article. Mods: Please don't yank this link, it's topical and relevant:

http://members.aol.com/MarkJYoung/index.htm

I can only say that these experiences echo my own. Indeed, one of the things that contributed to my long distrust of Christianity was the degree of rampant hostility towards D&D and similar games from people who had obviously never played them.

Upvote 0