✟55,225.00
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Originally posted by pgrmretaliation
to answer ur earlier question seebs, Harry doesn't lie in the books. He tries to tell the truth, just no one believes him and thinks he is lieing

Yes he does! All the kids do, I think.
Near the end of Chapter 10 in Sorcerer's Stone, Hermione lies to the teachers to keep Harry out of trouble. A "noble cause", perhaps - but a lie nonetheless, and presented as a noble act of fellowship. The kids all lie at one time or another to get out of trouble. Just "little white lies" like "Oh, I was just on my way to bed"... but it's presented as perfectly normal.

Upvote 0

seebs

God Made Me A Skeptic
Apr 9, 2002
Saint Paul, MN
Visit site
✟55,225.00
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Originally posted by owen_rocks

To those who have read them: do you feel there is a clear distinction made between "good" and "evil"?

Yes. Reasonably well done, and (so far) citing love and its relatives as the highest good, and incomprehensible to evil. That part could have come from a Bible study course.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

seebs

God Made Me A Skeptic
Apr 9, 2002
Saint Paul, MN
Visit site
✟55,225.00
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Originally posted by pgrmretaliation
yes hermione does lie, that is just showing how important friends are. if you can say you have never lied then i will give that one to you but im sure even you have made "a little white lie" any more examples?

So? I've done lots of things that were sinful; I don't think they should be presented as moral. I object to presenting lies as normal, reasonable, things - and particularly to it being a high point of the book when Hermione realizes that all the cool people are lying, effectively.

This really stuck out and caught my eye when I was reading these. They're fun books, and I don't think they're "harmful"... but if I have kids, and my kids read the books, they'll get a lecture in there about lying.

BTW, don't post so many one-liners; it clutters things up later. A lot of us are only posting a couple hours a day, if that.

Upvote 0

Blessed-one

a long journey ahead
Jan 30, 2002
Australia
Visit site
✟25,777.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Originally posted by owen_rocks
To those who have read them: do you feel there is a
clear distinction made between "good" and "evil"?

Look at the Harry Potter world in another way, say, an alternate world to our own, with magic being an ability that everyone can use like us using ... science!

yes, there is a distinction between good and evil in the books and the concepts are same as things considered as moral in today's world, like love, friendship and anti-prejudice versus intentional harm and power.
The plot is excellent and the themes are good, and a very good thing is, it encourages children to read! now, that's a rare thing.

However, the main element used to bring this world into existence, magic, does cause problems. yeah, it's fictional, but unlike Nania and Lord of the Rings, the setting in HP is a modern, 20th century world!!
now that's where problems arise. Can you see how easy it is to relate ourselves to the books? and the witchery mentioned in the books are very very like those methods used in the medieval days? meaning that it actually, can be real (is real).
If you read it simply for entertainment, that's good! but for some people, like some kids who can't tell the truth, they can easily be led into the trap, going down the path of modern witchcraft.

Upvote 0

Caedmon

kawaii
Site Supporter
Dec 18, 2001
R'lyeh
✟49,383.00
Faith
Catholic
Politics
US-Others
Originally posted by psalms 22.3
NARNIA, now that i grew up with myself, and it is a story that can be seen as completely parralel with the bible and the gospel story, the lion being god, the witch being satan, the white stag that if caught can cure all sickness or something like that, etc.

i cannot tell you how to live, but my own concience doesnt find narnia wrong, yet it will not allow me to read harry potter or dungeons and dragons or the hobbit.

psalms, sorry to burst your bubble, but the magical/curative white stag is one of the standard animals in pagan Celtic/Welsh mythology. If you read the Mabinogion, you'll see it.

And pgrmretaliation!!! Lay off the Mountain Dew man!!! :D

Upvote 0
uhhhh,
pgrmretaliation
it sounds to me like all you want to do is aregue, and you want to prove someone wrong. maybe thats just me though.
but thats not what i came here for, i dont care to do that with you. i wont continue this unless you first respect me enough to listen to me, im not here for your enterntainment. if you just want to aregue then your waisting my time and im out.

but if not.

people tell me to look at harry potter in other ways, and to look at other things, and to look what it has done, and to look at people who doit, and to look at my own sinfullness and that solomon wasnt perfect, etc.

but i dont see how that changes anything, just gets your eyes off the blaring point that shouldnt be ignored. god called witchcraft an abomination, so whether it has a good point or 2 or whatever else you may say. you cant get around the fact that it includes witchcraft, an abomination to god. does it not?
does it use the self stated words WITCH? SCORCERY?
does it?
i have not read the books, but that doenst mean i cannot be correct in my conclusions about it.
does it have witchcraft? and dont be like bill clinton
WELL, HOW DO YOU DEFINE WITCHCRAFT?

we are commanded to think on HOLY and GOOD things.

i am not a perfect person, i sin everyday, i have sins in me that i dont even know i have. so, i DO NOT CLAIM MY LIFE TO BE THE STANDARD AND THAT YOU MUST LIVE LIKE ME. becuase i still havent figured this thing out yet myself.
do you understand that? so, dont get angry, this is just why i do what i do, im not perfect, so dont accuse me of things that you think disqualify my conclusions. im just trying to do the best i can, as i see it. what you see doesnt help me, all i see is what i see, so thats how i must live. even if you dont like it, just realise that.

i do not see harry potter as a good thing, ive explained why. i think i have good reason. if you disagree, well it doesnt bother me, follow what you concience tells you.

for me to read or watch harry potter would be a sin, becuase i wouldnt feel justified or have faith that it was rightouse. im a not telling anyone to be a sin.

if youd like to talk about it, and maybe change my mind, thats fine, but im not looking for an argument.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Originally posted by psalms 22.3
i dont think the fact that the book envolves witchcraft and scorcery is debatable. the main character is a witch, there are spells in the book. this person has supernatural powers that are not from Jesus Christ. dungeons and dragons, its full of scorcery, and magic that does not come from Jesus Christ.
the word of god shuns all magic and scorcery and witchcraft.

it has been stated by high ranking witches today that harry potter was the best thing that ever happened to their cause.
it gets children aquainted and familair with the arts of witchcraft.

the fact that witch craft and scorcery are an abomination to god is not debatable.

i once aregued this before, and someone said that this would also mean that NARNIA and THE HOBBIT are also wrong.
THE HOBBIT is no diffrent than dungeons and dragons in my eyes, and i see no good in it.

NARNIA, now that i grew up with myself, and it is a story that can be seen as completely parralel with the bible and the gospel story, the lion being god, the witch being satan, the white stag that if caught can cure all sickness or something like that, etc.

i cannot tell you how to live, but my own concience doesnt find narnia wrong, yet it will not allow me to read harry potter or dungeons and dragons or the hobbit.
will it send you to hell? maybe not.
but there are certain things i stay away from anyway.
Magic and witchcraft is not real. Dungeons and Dragons is just a game! Harry Potter is just a childrens story, it's not real either!

Upvote 0

Gunny

Remnant
Site Supporter
May 18, 2002
United States of America
✟58,262.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Many say Satan is not real, does this make it so?

God's Word states that Satan disguises himself as an angel of light, he is the father of lies and the author of confusion.

Is magic as practiced by occultists, whitches, satanists and pagans real?

It is just as real today as it was when King Saul contacted a medium/witch to seek her services to contact the dead which she did do according to scripture.

Not only are the black arts real they are ever increasing in this fallen world.

Satan knows his time is short concerning the war of the heavenlies.

www.exposingsatanism.org

In Christ
James

Upvote 0

Gunny

Remnant
Site Supporter
May 18, 2002
United States of America
✟58,262.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I am a father of two adult sons and a grandfather. I'm thankful that the Rowling books were not present when my sons or I were young.

Is it by accident the Rowling books have shattered all sales records in this time and age?

Satan's craftiness is so evident with these books for how better able to decieve in such a benign manner as in the form of children's books.

I have read two of the books so as to discern for myself if the outcry of ardent Christians were valid concerning Rowlings books.

www.exposingsatanism.org

In Christ
James

Upvote 0

seebs

God Made Me A Skeptic
Apr 9, 2002
Saint Paul, MN
Visit site
✟55,225.00
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Originally posted by gunnysgt
I am a father of two adult sons and a grandfather. I'm thankful that the Rowling books were not present when my sons or I were young.

Is it by accident the Rowling books have shattered all sales records in this time and age?

No, it's because they weren't written by formula, they had a sympathetic character, and they don't talk down to kids.

Satan's craftiness is so evident with these books for how better able to decieve in such a benign manner as in the form of children's books.

I like how, whenever there's nothing to justify a claim, the lack of real evidence is because Satan is "crafty". Uh-huh. Yeah, he's crafty, but this isn't his work.

Why don't you go back to trying to get Narnia books banned?

I have read two of the books so as to discern for myself if the outcry of ardent Christians were valid concerning Rowlings books.

I've read all four, and it's abject nonsense to claim that there's any legitimate basis for the outcry, unless you want to count my objection about the kids lying and breaking rules. The magic stuff is a non-issue. Kids know the difference between real and pretend things, and know that the magic in Harry Potter is pretend.

You know what's dangerous to kids? Being told to take this stuff seriously.

Upvote 0