Country
New Zealand
Faith
Utrecht
Marital Status
Married
Politics
AU-Greens
Having read all the links AND having done considerable research on my own. I have only this to say:

These people need either to get a life or Prozac

If Harry Potter or Shrek (for goodness' sake) is Satanic then so are the Narnia series or LOTR

Kiwimac

Upvote 0

No gods

Buttercup Atheist
Apr 19, 2002
Visit site
✟1,173.00
Faith
Atheist
Originally posted by gunnysgt
I as a father and grandfather would not place books of any kind into children's hands that use terminology that is even closely associated with anything that is occult or paganistic in nature. Also, I would not place books in the hands of children that exalt or support disobedience.

(Is sex outside of marriage paganistic in nature?)

Let's just think about this. Besides the Harry Potter books, Narnia, and the BIBLE, what other books/stories would fit into this class?

Any books/stories that use terminology that is even closely associated with anything that is accult or paganistic in nature:

Any book containing any mythology of the Egyptians, the Greeks, the Romans, the Celts, etc.

Any book about the story of King Arthur.

Any of the Lord of the rings books (or related)

Any of the Star Wars books

The Bailey School Kids series (which my son loves!)

Support disobedience:

Any book referring to Women's suffrage

Books by Frederick Douglas, Harriet Tubman, etc.

Any books referring to abolitionists.

Any books referring to the pilgrims (they disobeyed England, no?)

This is just what I thought of in a minute or so, I think almost any book ever written would somehow fit into these criteria stated, therefore we shouldn't put *ANY* book AT ALL into our children's hands? Do we really want to raise a bunch of unimaginative, illiterate, uneducated children?

Upvote 0

Gunny

Remnant
Site Supporter
May 18, 2002
United States of America
✟58,262.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I CORINTHIANS 1:18-21.
For the preaching of the cross is to them that perish foolishness; but unto us which are saved it is the power of God.
For it is written, I will destroy the wisdom of the wise, and will bring to nothing the understanding of the prudent.
Where is the wise? where is the scribe? where is the disputer of this world? hath not God made foolish the wisdom of this world?
For after that in the wisdom of God the world by wisdom knew not God, it pleased God by the foolishness of preaching to save them that believe.

In Christ
James

Upvote 0
wow, this is much bigger tha i thought it would be. There is not a single demon mentioned in the harry potter series. in D&D there are deons AND devils, but im looking at my monsters manual right now it it just acured to me tht, huh, all of them are EVIL!!!! there is not a single demn that is regarded as good. I dont believe that HP is for any certain age, i is just for a certan level of maturity. I know some 7 year olds that i would give Harry Potter any day but i also know some 17 year olds that i wouldn't be aught dead giving a Harry Potter book. The argument here is not about satanism its about understanding and INFORMATION. If you have not read the books, dont argue them just as i have not read Narnia so i can't argue anything for that. I can argue the Harry Potter books or i could argue revelation because i know and understan them.

Upvote 0
I choose not to go through a littany of book lists.

My comments and my posts were directed to the Rowling Books and the subsequent movie.

May God's peace be with you and your loved ones.

In Christ
James
It's just a childrens story! It's not the Anti-Christs evil plot to corrupt your children...

Upvote 0

No gods

Buttercup Atheist
Apr 19, 2002
Visit site
✟1,173.00
Faith
Atheist
I choose not to go through a littany of book lists.

My comments and my posts were directed to the Rowling Books and the subsequent movie.

May God's peace be with you and your loved ones.

In Christ
James

Actually, *YOU* are the one that made the comment about *ANY* book with occult or were paganistic in nature should not be put in the hands of children. *YOU* are the one that moved this PAST the discussion of JUST the HP books. *I* simply asked if you considered any of the books/subjects I listed to be in this same aforementioned set of criteria of what is ok to give to children to read. But, well, if you "choose" not to look, I guess we can't discuss this any further. Comparison is a common tool used to help others understand the meaning of ones comments, but if you "choose" not to try, then I can do nothing more to understand your point of view. Personally, I don't think it is a littany of books lists. In fact, I think it was a pretty short list that only took me a few minutes to think up, so it really shouldn't take all that long to look it over and answer the simple question posed:

Would you place any of the books/subjects listed in my previous post in the hands of a child?

Upvote 0

Freodin

Devout believer in a theologically different God
Mar 9, 2002
Germany, Bavaria, Middle Franconia
Visit site
✟242,764.00
Faith
Atheist
Why is there such an outcry against Harry Potter?

Have you ever read books like "The Neverending Story", by Michael Ende, or "The Little Witch", or "Krabat", by Ottfried Preussler?

Magic, Miracles, Satanism - and no one cares! Why?

Because Harry Potter is famous. The books are good, but the marketing is even better.

And while there is nothing to gain in denouncing "Le Morte d´Arture" as satanic, writing hate-letters about HP can make some of it´s fame rub on you.

Human vanity.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

seebs

God Made Me A Skeptic
Apr 9, 2002
Saint Paul, MN
Visit site
✟55,225.00
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican

However, if the reasons you gave are valid reasons to denounce those stories, they are valid reasons to denounce any other stories meeting the same criteria.

I believe the intent was to point out the vast hypocrisy with which certain books are singled out for attack, although many other books have the same qualities.

Upvote 0

Gunny

Remnant
Site Supporter
May 18, 2002
United States of America
✟58,262.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Your opinion is your own and men have shed their blood for you state your opinion as I do mine.

May we call into remeberence this upcoming Memorial Day the price that was paid on behalf of the people of these United States.

Just as men have died for our freedoms in this life, Jesus Christ, my Lord and Savior died for mankind's sins so that whoever trusts upon Him for Salvation shall never perish but have everlasting life.

In Christ
James

Upvote 0
"Don't have anything to do with foolish and stupid arguments, because you know they produce quarrels. And the Lord's servant must not quarrel; instead, he must be kind to everyone, not resentful. Those who oppose him he must gently instruct, in the hope that God will grant them repentance leading them to a knowledge of the truth, and that they will come to their senses and escape from the trap of the devil, who has taken them captive to do his will."

2 Timothy 2:23

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums