Site Supporter
May 18, 2002
United States of America
✟58,262.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I respect your opinion but disagree for God's Word states that Satan is the ruler over this fallen world.

That is why God's Word states that the believer is to be in the world but not of the world.

I do believe that discernment is a spiritual gift as stated in God's Word. This gift is the ability to discern that which is from God and that which is from Satan. It is a supernatural gift that has nothing to do with man's pretentious notions of what he believes to be truth. It is a gift that is fueled and powered by the Holy Spirit.

"For what man knows the things of a man except the spirit of man which is in him? Even so no one knows the things of God except the Spirit of God. Now we have received, not the spirit of the world, but the Spirit who is from God, that we might know things that have been freely given to us by God. These things we also speak, not in words man's wisdom teaches but which the Holy Spirit teaches, comparing spiritual things with spiritual. But the natural man does not receive the things of the Spirit of God, for they are foolishness to him: nor can he know them, because they are spiritually discerned. But he who is spiritual judges all things, yet he himself is rightly judged by no one. For "Who has known the mind of the Lord that he may instruct him?" But we have the mind of Christ." I Corinthians 2:11-15.

www.exposingsatanism.org

In Christ
James

Upvote 0
Originally posted by gunnysgt
Many say Satan is not real, does this make it so?

God's Word states that Satan disguises himself as an angel of light.
Read Job 2:1, Satan is an angel.

he is the father of lies and the author of confusion.
Actually, he isn't, God is.

Genesis 11:1-9

Now the whole world had one language and a common speech. As men moved eastward, they found a plain in Shinar and settled there.They said to each other, "Come, let's make bricks and bake them thoroughly." They used brick instead of stone, and tar for mortar. Then they said, "Come, let us build ourselves a city, with a tower that reaches to the heavens, so that we may make a name for ourselves and not be scattered over the face of the whole earth."

But the Lord came down to see the city and the tower that the men were building. The Lord said, "If as one people speaking the same language they have begun to do this, then nothing they plan to do will be impossible for them. Come, let us go down and confuse their language so they will not understand each other."

So the Lord scattered them from there over all the earth, and they stopped building the city. That is why it was called Babel -because there the Lord confused the language of the whole world. From there the Lord scattered them over the face of the whole earth.

2 Thessalonians 2:11

For this reason God sends them a powerful delusion so that they will believe the lie

I Kings 22:23

So now the Lord has put a lying spirit in the mouths of all these prophets of yours.

Upvote 0

seebs

God Made Me A Skeptic
Apr 9, 2002
Saint Paul, MN
Visit site
✟55,225.00
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican

I do believe that discernment is a spiritual gift as stated in God's Word. This gift is the ability to discern that which is from God and that which is from Satan. It is a supernatural gift that has nothing to do with man's pretentious notions of what he believes to be truth. It is a gift that is fueled and powered by the Holy Spirit.

That may be - but I've got no easy way to tell which people have this gift, and which don't. I know Christians who say this stuff is harmless, and people who say it's harmful.

I know that people have said that Narnia is "Satanic", which I'm pretty sure is false... So my default is that, if I can't *directly* see evil in it, it's not Satanic, and I'm not necessarily going to trust someone else's opinion, unless I have *good* evidence that the person has the gift of discernment.

Upvote 0

seebs

God Made Me A Skeptic
Apr 9, 2002
Saint Paul, MN
Visit site
✟55,225.00
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Originally posted by Neo

Actually, he isn't, God is.

Neo, this is starting to push it, in my opinion. You're going out of your way to take specific verses out of context... once again, I point out, your readings are consistently twisted.

I have seen no evidence that you have any goal other than attacking people's faith, and you don't seem to care whether you do this based on any kind of truth, you just seem to have a grudge.

So... What did Christians ever do to you? Do you want to talk about what's really bugging you, instead of jumping into every thread you can find with unrelated complaints?

Upvote 0

Gunny

Remnant
Site Supporter
May 18, 2002
United States of America
✟58,262.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
This is true, God's Word tells us to test the spirits.

God's Word states that anything that leads people away from the truth of the Gospel of Jesus Christ is contrary to God's truth. This means that things of the world that decieve, corrupt or confuse are not of God, for God is Holy and perfect and the qualities mentioned are not of God but of his advesary (and the advesary of those that profess Jesus Christ as Lord and Savior), Satan.

In Christ
James

Upvote 0

seebs

God Made Me A Skeptic
Apr 9, 2002
Saint Paul, MN
Visit site
✟55,225.00
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
This is true, God's Word tells us to test the spirits.

God's Word states that anything that leads people away from the truth of the Gospel of Jesus Christ is contrary to God's truth. This means that things of the world that decieve, corrupt or confuse are not of God, for God is Holy and perfect and the qualities mentioned are not of God but of his advesary (and the advesary of those that profess Jesus Christ as Lord and Savior), Satan.

Right... The thing is, I've seen no evidence that Harry Potter "leads people away from the truth". None so far, anyway. Unless we count a parody article on The Onion.

Upvote 0

Gunny

Remnant
Site Supporter
May 18, 2002
United States of America
✟58,262.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I as a father and grandfather would not place books of any kind into children's hands that use terminology that is even closely associated with anything that is occult or paganistic in nature. Also, I would not place books in the hands of children that exalt or support disobedience.

Faith is based and rooted in obedience to God and His Word.

I don't know what the onion is but I have read and searched topics concerning Rowlings books at:
www.exposingsatanism.org

God's Word speaks so very clearly about things re: sorcery, witchcraft and the occult.

I know this, I shall be aiding in the funding of my grandchildren's education at Bible believing Christian schools where they can receive an education vs. the indoctrination children receive in the public school systems.

In Christ
James

Upvote 0

seebs

God Made Me A Skeptic
Apr 9, 2002
Saint Paul, MN
Visit site
✟55,225.00
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
I as a father and grandfather would not place books of any kind into children's hands that use terminology that is even closely associated with anything that is occult or paganistic in nature.

Huh.

I'd just like to point out that the Bible clearly does this; read about Solomon once.

I don't worry about fiction; it's fiction, and kids know the difference.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

seebs

God Made Me A Skeptic
Apr 9, 2002
Saint Paul, MN
Visit site
✟55,225.00
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
This is true, the Bible is very specific in it's warnings to the people of God.

Yes. But Solomon is portrayed, for the most part, as a wise king.

Anyway, the Bible isn't really very specific. It says not to practice magic, only some people say the word used refers to demonology. It doesn't say not to think fantasy stories are exciting or fun.

I do not feel that God's authority over Creation is threatened by fantasy stories.

Satan may be of this world; Hogwart's isn't, it's fictional. Imagination is a gift from God.

Upvote 0

Gunny

Remnant
Site Supporter
May 18, 2002
United States of America
✟58,262.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
ACTS 13:8-11
But Elymas the sorcerer (for so is his name by interpretation ) withstood them, seeking to turn away the deputy from the faith. Then Saul, (who also [is called] Paul,) filled with the Holy Ghost, set his eyes on him,
And said, O full of all subtilty and all mischief, [thou] child of the devil, [thou] enemy of all righteousness, wilt thou not cease to pervert the right ways of the Lord?
And now, behold, the hand of the Lord [is] upon thee, and thou shalt be blind, not seeing the sun for a season. And immediately there fell on him a mist and a darkness; and he went about seeking some to lead him by the hand.

In Christ
James

Upvote 0

seebs

God Made Me A Skeptic
Apr 9, 2002
Saint Paul, MN
Visit site
✟55,225.00
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
I'd like to know more about the words used in the original text, rather than the translations... but once again, it's got nothing to do with *fictional* characters.

Once again: No magic actually occurs. People read a story in which characters who live in a world different from our own resolve problems using things we don't have.

I don't see any significant difference between Fantasy and Science Fiction, in general.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Gunny

Remnant
Site Supporter
May 18, 2002
United States of America
✟58,262.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
magos {mag'-os} mavgoß of foreign origin [7248]; TDNT -- 4:356,547; n m

AV -- wise man (4)
-- sorcerer (2) [6]
1) a magus; the name given by the Babylonians (Chaldeans), Medes, Persians, and others, to the wise men, teachers, priests, physicians, astrologers, seers, interpreters of dreams, augers, soothsayers, sorcerers etc.

Upvote 0

seebs

God Made Me A Skeptic
Apr 9, 2002
Saint Paul, MN
Visit site
✟55,225.00
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
My walk with God isn't based on what I think to be right or good. It is based soley on what God's Word has to say on any matter concerning all things.

But God's Word says *NOTHING* about fiction!

Upvote 0