Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
HOW can it be that Christianity encourages OBESITY? I've read from several different sources that the statistics show that Christians are significantly more obese than non-Christians.

The article I linked above actually goes so far as to say to the effect ~ "the more religious, the more chance of being obese!"

There was, however, a consistent and significant association between religiosity and obesity. After adjustment for different variables, those who attended frequent religious services were more likely to be obese and less likely to smoke. Also, those with the highest levels of spirituality were significantly more likely to be obese and less likely to smoke. There were no other associations observed between religiosity, spirituality, and other risk factors such as diabetes, hypercholesterolemia, and diabetes.
That is a terrible testimony to Christianity! Christians should be known for their self-control...their belief that their body is the "temple of the Holy Ghost"....

Think of the contrast between THIS TESTIMONY and the Prophet Daniel's testimony. Don't you think that God blessed Daniel abundantly for not eating of "the King's table" that was filled with all kinds of unhealthful, unclean meats and instead, he asked for permission to eat a simple plant based diet? I do.

If Christians would go back to the diet God originally gave us at Creation, they would have a far better testimony to give to the world.

And if you struggle with being overweight, don't be discouraged....God can help you overcome the temptation to eat the wrong foods/too much food, just as He can help us with any other temptation...but ONLY if we fully surrender to Him!

Shemjaza

Site Supporter
Apr 17, 2006
✟926,526.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
AU-Greens
I suspect it has nothing to do with the faith or the core beliefs.

It's probably more that religious belief correlates with lower wealth and possibly certain areas with more fattening foods as a part of their culture.

Upvote 0

A_Thinker

Site Supporter
Apr 23, 2004
Midwest
✟953,784.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

It's probably more that religious belief correlates with lower wealth and possibly certain areas with more fattening foods as a part of their culture.
Also ... with a more consistent life ... and eating ...

Reactions: SkyWriting
Upvote 0

Sabertooth

Repartee Animal: Quipping the Saints!
Site Supporter
Jul 25, 2005
Wisconsin
Visit site
✟961,395.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Think of the contrast between THIS TESTIMONY and the Prophet Daniel's testimony.
Lean is not necessarily a Biblical standard...
"And at the end of ten days [Daniel & friends'] features appeared better and fatter in flesh than all the young men who ate the portion of the king’s delicacies.
Thus the steward took away their portion of delicacies and the wine that they were to drink, and gave them vegetables." Daniel 1:15-16 NKJV

The OP reminds me of this song,
Chubby, Chubby; Barry McGuire (1977)

Upvote 0

The Narrow Way

Master Herbalist
Site Supporter
Apr 25, 2011
Ohio
Visit site
✟150,270.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Also ... with a more consistent life ... and eating ...
I think it has everything to do with their FAITH. Most churches teach that DIET has NOTHING to do with your SPIRITUALITY or your SALVATION. I believe it has MUCH to do with BOTH. You cannot eat your way INTO Heaven but you sure can eat your way OUT of Heaven.

Upvote 0

The Narrow Way

Master Herbalist
Site Supporter
Apr 25, 2011
Ohio
Visit site
✟150,270.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Lean is not necessarily a Biblical standard...
"And at the end of ten days [Daniel & friends'] features appeared better and fatter in flesh than all the young men who ate the portion of the king’s delicacies.
Thus the steward took away their portion of delicacies and the wine that they were to drink, and gave them vegetables." Daniel 1:15-16 NKJV

The OP reminds me of this song,
Chubby, Chubby; Barry McGuire (1977)
Try another version...I think this one is far more correct :
Dan 1:15 At the end of the ten days, Daniel and his three friends looked healthier and better nourished than the young men who had been eating the food assigned by the king.​

Dan 1:16 So after that, the attendant fed them only vegetables instead of the food and wine provided for the others.​

Upvote 0

SkyWriting

The Librarian
Site Supporter
Jan 10, 2010
Milwaukee
✟410,948.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
HOW can it be that Christianity encourages OBESITY? I've read from several different sources that the statistics show that Christians are significantly more obese than non-Christians.

The article I linked above actually goes so far as to say to the effect ~ "the more religious, the more chance of being obese!"

There was, however, a consistent and significant association between religiosity and obesity. After adjustment for different variables, those who attended frequent religious services were more likely to be obese and less likely to smoke. Also, those with the highest levels of spirituality were significantly more likely to be obese and less likely to smoke. There were no other associations observed between religiosity, spirituality, and other risk factors such as diabetes, hypercholesterolemia, and diabetes.
That is a terrible testimony to Christianity! Christians should be known for their self-control...their belief that their body is the "temple of the Holy Ghost"....

Think of the contrast between THIS TESTIMONY and the Prophet Daniel's testimony. Don't you think that God blessed Daniel abundantly for not eating of "the King's table" that was filled with all kinds of unhealthful, unclean meats and instead, he asked for permission to eat a simple plant based diet? I do.

If Christians would go back to the diet God originally gave us at Creation, they would have a far better testimony to give to the world.

And if you struggle with being overweight, don't be discouraged....God can help you overcome the temptation to eat the wrong foods/too much food, just as He can help us with any other temptation...but ONLY if we fully surrender to Him!

It's fair to say that churches encourage sitting. It's rare for them to have a gymnasium. Thanks. Chalk up another reason I reject church buildings.

But there is a method I use to control calories that is not spiritual. You could call it the altar of heathy eating. It's called SuperFridge. The idea is that if your food is quick and easy, then you will choose it first. That's the same idea that McDonalds uses to make sales, but this is even faster, so it wins out.

DMgZreWUQAAnfeT

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

The Narrow Way

Master Herbalist
Site Supporter
Apr 25, 2011
Ohio
Visit site
✟150,270.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
It's fair to say that churches encourage sitting. It's rare for them to have a gymnasium. Thanks. Chalk up another reason I reject church buildings.

But there is a method I use to control calories that is not spiritual. You could call it the altar of heathy eating. It's called SuperFridge. The idea is that if your food is quick and easy, then you will choose it first. That's the same idea that McDonalds uses to make sales, but this is even faster, so it wins out.

DMgZreWUQAAnfeT
Wow! Is that your frig? Looks beautiful and so organized!

Upvote 0

A_Thinker

Site Supporter
Apr 23, 2004
Midwest
✟953,784.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I think it has everything to do with their FAITH. Most churches teach that DIET has NOTHING to do with your SPIRITUALITY or your SALVATION. I believe it has MUCH to do with BOTH. You cannot eat your way INTO Heaven but you sure can eat your way OUT of Heaven.
Christians, by their spiritual focus, live life in such a way ... as to avoid the circumstance of not having enough food to eat.

It's not the goal, ... but it is a byproduct.

They work ... and make a living.
They keep their bills paid.
They have money to go to the grocery.
They avoid unnecessarily wasteful habits ... alcohol, drugs, cigarettes, etc.
They are blessed by God with provision.

In Jesus' day and prior, ... these was little chance of having too much to eat. The requirement to have the discipline to manage healthy eating ... is fairly new.

The only way to EAT your way out of heaven ... is to worship food (or eating), rather than God ...

• Agree
Reactions: Hazelelponi
Upvote 0

SkyWriting

The Librarian
Site Supporter
Jan 10, 2010
Milwaukee
✟410,948.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Last edited:
Upvote 0

SamanthaAnastasia

Just a library lady
Dec 21, 2018
Earth
✟168,850.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Private

Oh you. I think people will be upset with you spitting pure facts.

all joking aside, I believe you are correct.
While they are less likely to smoke (probably because they can control that more easily) access to food and education about food and cultural trends regarding food (look at southern food lol everything is fried lol!) is a much more difficult issue to overcome.

you can only eat one meal a day yet be way over caloric intake. It doesn’t even have to be a massive meal either, just look at some of these: (18 of the unhealthiest fast-food items you can order). And that’s not even including drink and whatever side you’re getting!
It’s even harder when you’re cooking it yourself and you have no accurate way to measure calories.

It’s easy to throw any religion under the bus and blame whatever on you’re looking at on it but unless you’re talking about extremists, it’s a lame excuse.

Upvote 0

Jake Arsenal

Mar 2, 2021
Celestial City
✟47,516.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

Where do you find Scripture which says you can eat your way out of heaven?

Jesus fasted for 40 days, successfully resisted temptation, then proceeded to eat and drink for the length of his ministry. His opponents called him gluttonous among many other insults(Matthew 11:19, Luke 7:34). The Scripture expressly states that we should eat and drink whatever is provided with all thankfulness.(1 Corinthians 10:29-31)

Therefore let anyone who thinks that he stands take heed lest he fall.(1 Corinthians 10:12)

Looking at the definitions of obesity, I think anyone with food security who does not spend many hours exercising and obsessing over physical fitness/diet would qualify as obese by the time they reach midlife, even those who practice regular fasting and healthy portions. Most people equate obesity with extreme or morbid obesity, but bmi charts promote unhealthy expectations, especially for people who practice regular fasting.

https://www.nhlbi.nih.gov/health/educational/lose_wt/BMI/bmi_tbl.pdf

I generally think physical fitness should take up very little of our time and focus(unless required by our occupation), but should not be ignored entirely. Christians should focus on godliness rather than worrying about such things.

1 Timothy 4
Now the Spirit speaketh expressly, that in the latter times some shall depart from the faith, giving heed to seducing spirits, and doctrines of devils;
2 Speaking lies in hypocrisy; having their conscience seared with a hot iron;
3 Forbidding to marry, and commanding to abstain from meats, which God hath created to be received with thanksgiving of them which believe and know the truth.
4 For every creature of God is good, and nothing to be refused, if it be received with thanksgiving:
5 For it is sanctified by the word of God and prayer.
6 If thou put the brethren in remembrance of these things, thou shalt be a good minister of Jesus Christ, nourished up in the words of faith and of good doctrine, whereunto thou hast attained.
7 But refuse profane and old wives' fables, and exercise thyself rather unto godliness.
8 For bodily exercise profiteth little: but godliness is profitable unto all things, having promise of the life that now is, and of that which is to come.

9 This is a faithful saying and worthy of all acceptation.

For why should my liberty be determined by someone else's conscience? If I partake with thankfulness, why am I denounced because of that for which I give thanks? So, whether you eat or drink, or whatever you do, do all to the glory of God.(1 Corinthians 10:29-31)

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

angelsaroundme

Mar 4, 2020
Georgia
✟141,329.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Celibate
Protestants aren't generally taught that overeating is a sin. If most things are discouraged for a group, it's not surprising to find the one vice that isn't to be overrepresented with those people. It even mentions Christians usually don't smoke. Many who smoke partly do it as a way to eat less since it distracts them from doing so.

Upvote 0

Hazelelponi

:sighing:
Site Supporter
Jun 25, 2018
USA
✟691,408.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican

The majority of Christians live in the west. People who live in the west, irregardless of faith, are heavier than those in say, the middle east, China and Africa.

Why? Because in the west food is entertainment... And while sure, Christians as a whole shouldn't do anything to excess, it's just a fact of life that the western world contains more Christians and the western world eats to excess.

I will say that youth have healthier trends nowadays, but those who are older are less likely to change unless need causes them to.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.