United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
That is a human created idea.

The Messiah (Jesus) took away the sin of the world at the cross. The only condition stated for a person to receive God's free gift of Eternal Life is trust/faith/belief in The Messiah for God's free gift of Eternal Life.

There is no other condition: not repentance, obedience, confessing Jesus, Feeling sorry for ones sins, baptism, saying a prayer, etc...

That couldn't be further from the TRUTH. :(

He that overcometh shall inherit all things; and I will be his God, and he shall be my son. Revelation 21:7.

Therefore I will judge you, O house of Israel, every one according to his ways, saith the Lord GOD. Repent, and turn yourselves from all your transgressions; so iniquity shall not be your ruin. Ezekiel 18:30
Jesus Himself said ~
I tell you, Nay: but, except ye repent, ye shall all likewise perish. Luke 13:5.
And there are tons more like Bible texts showing that there are CONDITIONS to being saved.

Upvote 0

d taylor

Oct 16, 2018
Mississippi
✟250,820.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
That couldn't be further from the TRUTH. :(

He that overcometh shall inherit all things; and I will be his God, and he shall be my son. Revelation 21:7.

Therefore I will judge you, O house of Israel, every one according to his ways, saith the Lord GOD. Repent, and turn yourselves from all your transgressions; so iniquity shall not be your ruin. Ezekiel 18:30
Jesus Himself said ~
I tell you, Nay: but, except ye repent, ye shall all likewise perish. Luke 13:5.
And there are tons more like Bible texts showing that there are CONDITIONS to being saved.

The Messiah/God knew some 2000 years ago that there would be people who would take His words and craft them to make their own ways to eternal life.

But God gave a light to these human versions of salvation. By having John write his Gospel that simply shows that Eternal Life is received through faith,belief,trust in The Messiah for God's free gift of Eternal Life.

“Most assuredly, I say to you, he who hears My word and believes in Him who sent Me has everlasting life, and shall not come into judgment, but has passed from death into life.

These words from John 5 especially speak to a human crafted salvation v
You search the Scriptures, for in them you think you have eternal life; and these are they which testify of Me. But you are not willing to come to Me that you may have life.

Most assuredly, I say to you, he who believes in Me has everlasting life.

Jesus said to her, “I am the resurrection and the life. He who believes in Me, though he may die, he shall live. And whoever lives and believes in Me shall never die. Do you believe this?”

And truly Jesus did many other signs in the presence of His disciples, which are not written in this book; but these are written that you may believe that Jesus is the Christ, the Son of God, and that believing you may have life in His name.

Upvote 0

Jake Arsenal

Mar 2, 2021
Celestial City
✟47,516.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Sorry @Jake Arsenal, but I believe you are taking these texts out of context.

When the Bible talks about "For bodily exercise profiteth little:" 1 Timothy 4, that is only saying that you cannot EXERCISE your way into Heaven, just as you cannot EAT your way into Heaven. It's not saying that what you eat and if you exercise has nothing to do with your health or your Christianity....it has EVERYTHING to do it with BOTH. God reaches us thru our minds...if our bodies are not healthy, our minds are not healthy either as our mind is part of our body....we won't easily discern what He is trying to tell us....poor health is a deterrent to spiritual growth.

I posted the Scripture in it's context from verse 1 to verse 9 marking your errors in bold. You took one line out of verse 8 and said Paul didn't mean what he plainly said because what he said doesn't agree with your personal experience. That is clearly taking Scripture out of context. Paul said exactly what he meant just as you said exactly what you meant.

Peter also said exactly what he meant: Bear in mind that our Lord’s patience means salvation, just as our dear brother Paul also wrote you with the wisdom that God gave him. He writes the same way in all his letters, speaking in them of these matters. His letters contain some things that are hard to understand, which ignorant and unstable people distort, as they do the other Scriptures, to their own destruction.(2 Peter 3:15-16)

As I have argued previously(which you ignored) no where in the Scripture(OT or NT) is gluttony listed as a sin, nor is it listed as a sin that can keep you out of heaven(Galatians 5:19-21,Revelation 21:8) as you claimed:
you sure can eat your way OUT of Heaven.

Galatians 5:19-21 Now the works of the flesh are evident: sexual immorality, impurity, sensuality, 20 idolatry, sorcery, enmity, strife, jealousy, fits of anger, rivalries, dissensions, divisions, 21 envy, drunkenness, orgies, and things like these. I warn you, as I warned you before, that those who do such things will not inherit the kingdom of God.

Revelation 21:8 But as for the cowardly, the faithless, the detestable, as for murderers, the sexually immoral, sorcerers, idolaters, and all liars, their portion will be in the lake that burns with fire and sulfur, which is the second death.

Neither Paul nor John agree with your statement, nor have you provided any Scripture to support your statement. And Peter clearly condemned the way in which you have used Paul's letter.

A healthy body may be a good thing, but accusations of sin against those who are overweight is wrong.(2 Peter 1:20)

(2 Timothy 4:3-4, Acts of the Apostles 20:30, 1 John 4:1-6, 2 Peter 2:1-22)

Thank God that this subject was brought to my attention. Prior to this study, I was inclined to judge overweight people as living in the flesh more than others, but now the Lord has shown me the plank in my own eye: that I had made an idol of physical fitness in the standards of the world.(1 John 4:5-6) Those who suffer the humiliation of the accusation of sinfulness and gluttony are in good company because our Lord Jesus Christ was also called gluttonous by His opponents. (Matthew 11:19, Luke 7:34)

Upvote 0

The Narrow Way

Master Herbalist
Site Supporter
Apr 25, 2011
Ohio
Visit site
✟150,270.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I posted the Scripture in it's context from verse 1 to verse 9 marking your errors in bold. You took one line out of verse 8 and said Paul didn't mean what he plainly said because what he said doesn't agree with your personal experience. That is clearly taking Scripture out of context. Paul said exactly what he meant just as you said exactly what you meant.

Peter also said exactly what he meant: Bear in mind that our Lord’s patience means salvation, just as our dear brother Paul also wrote you with the wisdom that God gave him. He writes the same way in all his letters, speaking in them of these matters. His letters contain some things that are hard to understand, which ignorant and unstable people distort, as they do the other Scriptures, to their own destruction.(2 Peter 3:15-16)

As I have argued previously(which you ignored) no where in the Scripture(OT or NT) is gluttony listed as a sin, nor is it listed as a sin that can keep you out of heaven(Galatians 5:19-21,Revelation 21:8) as you claimed:

Galatians 5:19-21 Now the works of the flesh are evident: sexual immorality, impurity, sensuality, 20 idolatry, sorcery, enmity, strife, jealousy, fits of anger, rivalries, dissensions, divisions, 21 envy, drunkenness, orgies, and things like these. I warn you, as I warned you before, that those who do such things will not inherit the kingdom of God.

Revelation 21:8 But as for the cowardly, the faithless, the detestable, as for murderers, the sexually immoral, sorcerers, idolaters, and all liars, their portion will be in the lake that burns with fire and sulfur, which is the second death.

Neither Paul nor John agree with your statement, nor have you provided any Scripture to support your statement. And Peter clearly condemned the way in which you have used Paul's letter.

A healthy body may be a good thing, but accusations of sin against those who are overweight is wrong.(2 Peter 1:20)

(2 Timothy 4:3-4, Acts of the Apostles 20:30, 1 John 4:1-6, 2 Peter 2:1-22)

Thank God that this subject was brought to my attention. Prior to this study, I was inclined to judge overweight people as living in the flesh more than others, but now the Lord has shown me the plank in my own eye: that I had made an idol of physical fitness in the standards of the world.(1 John 4:5-6) Those who suffer the humiliation of the accusation of sinfulness and gluttony are in good company because our Lord Jesus Christ was also called gluttonous by His opponents. (Matthew 11:19, Luke 7:34)
I'm bowing out, @Jake Arsenal ~ We see from two very different perspectives.

• Agree
Reactions: Jake Arsenal
Upvote 0

FireDragon76

Site Supporter
Apr 30, 2013
Orlando, Florida
✟1,258,288.00
Country
United States
Faith
United Ch. of Christ
Marital Status
Legal Union (Other)
Politics
US-Democrat
HOW can it be that Christianity encourages OBESITY? I've read from several different sources that the statistics show that Christians are significantly more obese than non-Christians.

The article I linked above actually goes so far as to say to the effect ~ "the more religious, the more chance of being obese!"

There was, however, a consistent and significant association between religiosity and obesity. After adjustment for different variables, those who attended frequent religious services were more likely to be obese and less likely to smoke. Also, those with the highest levels of spirituality were significantly more likely to be obese and less likely to smoke. There were no other associations observed between religiosity, spirituality, and other risk factors such as diabetes, hypercholesterolemia, and diabetes.
That is a terrible testimony to Christianity! Christians should be known for their self-control...their belief that their body is the "temple of the Holy Ghost"....

Think of the contrast between THIS TESTIMONY and the Prophet Daniel's testimony. Don't you think that God blessed Daniel abundantly for not eating of "the King's table" that was filled with all kinds of unhealthful, unclean meats and instead, he asked for permission to eat a simple plant based diet? I do.

If Christians would go back to the diet God originally gave us at Creation, they would have a far better testimony to give to the world.

And if you struggle with being overweight, don't be discouraged....God can help you overcome the temptation to eat the wrong foods/too much food, just as He can help us with any other temptation...but ONLY if we fully surrender to Him!

It's not about self control... that's not what causes obesity anyways (it's not necessarily true most obese people are particularly gluttonous). Most churches focus on convention and traditionalism, and in the US that often means an unhealthy diet full of junk food and processed meat and "cheese products"

I really got alienated at my last Lutheran church because all they offered every Sunday at the social was junk to eat, 3/4 the time. Watching a deacon die from diabetes was really what set me over the edge. You can't claim to love people but feed them junk them watch then die- bodies matter and life should matter.

Reactions: bèlla
Upvote 0

FireDragon76

Site Supporter
Apr 30, 2013
Orlando, Florida
✟1,258,288.00
Country
United States
Faith
United Ch. of Christ
Marital Status
Legal Union (Other)
Politics
US-Democrat
I suspect it has nothing to do with the faith or the core beliefs.

It's probably more that religious belief correlates with lower wealth and possibly certain areas with more fattening foods as a part of their culture.

In the US it's all about cultural traditional correlating with religiosity, and that means eating alot of fat, sugar, and refined carbohydrates.

Upvote 0

renniks

Jun 2, 2008
✟149,430.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
HOW can it be that Christianity encourages OBESITY? I've read from several different sources that the statistics show that Christians are significantly more obese than non-Christians.

The article I linked above actually goes so far as to say to the effect ~ "the more religious, the more chance of being obese!"

There was, however, a consistent and significant association between religiosity and obesity. After adjustment for different variables, those who attended frequent religious services were more likely to be obese and less likely to smoke. Also, those with the highest levels of spirituality were significantly more likely to be obese and less likely to smoke. There were no other associations observed between religiosity, spirituality, and other risk factors such as diabetes, hypercholesterolemia, and diabetes.
That is a terrible testimony to Christianity! Christians should be known for their self-control...their belief that their body is the "temple of the Holy Ghost"....

Think of the contrast between THIS TESTIMONY and the Prophet Daniel's testimony. Don't you think that God blessed Daniel abundantly for not eating of "the King's table" that was filled with all kinds of unhealthful, unclean meats and instead, he asked for permission to eat a simple plant based diet? I do.

If Christians would go back to the diet God originally gave us at Creation, they would have a far better testimony to give to the world.

And if you struggle with being overweight, don't be discouraged....God can help you overcome the temptation to eat the wrong foods/too much food, just as He can help us with any other temptation...but ONLY if we fully surrender to Him!
A Christian comedian said that parisheners and pastors are overweight because eating is the only thing they're allowed to do. :)

Reactions: Rajni
Upvote 0

ewq1938

I love you three.
Christian Forums Staff
Administrator
Site Supporter
Nov 5, 2011
✟916,399.00
Country
United States
Faith