Denver
✟30,312.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Right off the top let me admit that this is one article from a newspaper which is left leaning and it is one community in America. It is hardly what one would call comprehensive.

For those in the Party of Trump, the Republicans — not the president — are to blame

These are people who identify as Christian and if one assumes the quotes are accurate, and there is no reason to believe they aren't since I don't see outrage over them at this point, I don't see anything there that resembles Jesus and especially His second commandment.

Should Christianity as a religion continue to remain silent and allow people in America and the rest of the planet to assume silence is agreement?

Brain-washed. Those fundamentalists are a a clear example. Notice that they took their 'Christian values' and showed almighty God that a crotch grabbing braggart was more worthy of their vote than the other candidate....who actually had some political experience and known to have far fewer and less outlandish vices.

Reactions: Strathos
Upvote 0

Allandavid

Dec 30, 2016
Sydney
✟230,565.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
No mention of "poor" or "destitute" anywhere in my posts. Thanks for proving my point.

But they were clearly the people you were referencing. It is the poor and the destitute who rely most heavily upon governmental services like health care. You described this group of people as "stealing" from others in order to receive those services to which they feel "entitled"...please be honest.

Upvote 0

zephcom

Jul 9, 2017
Pacific Northwest
✟87,947.00
Country
United States
Faith
Deist
Marital Status
Married
You really don't understand Christianity, but I pray that one day the Lord opens your heart to the truth. The fact that He brought you here is encouraging.
Ah the sanctimonious superiority.

I do understand Christianity. I understand that it does not follow Jesus' teachings. I understand that it is the false prophets Jesus warned about in His Sermon on the Mount.

Jesus brought the knowledge of a higher level of spirituality to the world. The Jewish religion is really a low level spirituality. It is based on laws and rules. One becomes 'righteous' when they follow the laws and rules. By the time of Jesus, the Jews had perfected those laws and rules to the point where picking a bud from a wheat stalk on the Sabbath was a violation.

Jesus brought a higher level of spirituality where individuals are given the ability to decide in their lives how to behave based only on concepts and not laws and rules. The concept that Jesus taught and lived is that self-sacrificing love is the goal in this higher level of spirituality. Loving behavior is the 'treasure' we store in the Kingdom.

Christianity has corrupted this message and uses laws and rules to keep the masses tied to the lower level spirituality of the Jewish religion. We see that over and over again when people worry they may be committing a 'sin' if they do this or do that when the only thing anyone needs to ask is "Is this behavior loving to others?"

I don't fault people for not knowing this because Christianity will never tell them this. Christianity is an earth bound religion. Christianity will not be standing with anyone when they stand for their life review. Christianity will be back at the funeral for a corpse.

Jesus is the one who will be standing there at the life review and will be the one who says, "I know you" or "I don't know you". It only makes sense to me that people should learn what Jesus taught and do what Jesus taught instead of what Christianity teaches.

Upvote 0

Strathos

No one important
Dec 11, 2012
God's Earth
✟263,276.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
Ah the sanctimonious superiority.

I do understand Christianity. I understand that it does not follow Jesus' teachings. I understand that it is the false prophets Jesus warned about in His Sermon on the Mount.

Jesus brought the knowledge of a higher level of spirituality to the world. The Jewish religion is really a low level spirituality. It is based on laws and rules. One becomes 'righteous' when they follow the laws and rules. By the time of Jesus, the Jews had perfected those laws and rules to the point where picking a bud from a wheat stalk on the Sabbath was a violation.

Jesus brought a higher level of spirituality where individuals are given the ability to decide in their lives how to behave based only on concepts and not laws and rules. The concept that Jesus taught and lived is that self-sacrificing love is the goal in this higher level of spirituality. Loving behavior is the 'treasure' we store in the Kingdom.

Christianity has corrupted this message and uses laws and rules to keep the masses tied to the lower level spirituality of the Jewish religion. We see that over and over again when people worry they may be committing a 'sin' if they do this or do that when the only thing anyone needs to ask is "Is this behavior loving to others?"

I don't fault people for not knowing this because Christianity will never tell them this. Christianity is an earth bound religion. Christianity will not be standing with anyone when they stand for their life review. Christianity will be back at the funeral for a corpse.

Jesus is the one who will be standing there at the life review and will be the one who says, "I know you" or "I don't know you". It only makes sense to me that people should learn what Jesus taught and do what Jesus taught instead of what Christianity teaches.

Jesus and the God of the Old Testament are one and the same.

• Winner
Reactions: Phil 1:21
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

OldWiseGuy

Wake me when it's soup.
Site Supporter
Feb 4, 2006
Wisconsin
Visit site
✟982,622.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
I'm good with you not agreeing with me on the idea that my idea of Christian Values isn't factual. I have been on Electronic forums since the days of 300 baud modems and local bulletin boards. I'm completely convinced that my concept of the meaning of the Christian Values dog whistle is completely correct.

And the fact that it continues to exist is because Christianity itself refuses to deny it and call it out as wrong every time it is used.

The reality today is that there is no longer any other meaning for Christian Values except that dog whistle. JESUS' values revolve around only one thing...Love.

Taking people's health care away from them is not loving, defending agents of the state from prosecution when they murder people is not loving, denying women the right to decide what is right for their own bodies is not loving, ordering wars of conquest is not loving, harassing others for their sexual orientation is not loving, supporting capital punishment is not loving, waterboarding prisoners is not loving, and the list goes on and on.

So just which "value" are Christians talking about when they use the term in regard to politics? Every single one I've come across in some thirty or more years on forums have been designed to harm someone.

I'm a very loving person and I support capital punishment. However I don't consider it to be real punishment but rather putting a 'mad dog' down, and out of their obvious mental misery. I see life long incarceration as costly and cruel punishment, for society as well as the offender.

• Agree
Upvote 0

Phil 1:21

Apr 3, 2017
United States
✟144,842.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I'm a very loving person and I support capital punishment. However I don't consider it to be real punishment but rather putting a 'mad dog' down, and out of their obvious mental misery. I see life long incarceration as costly and cruel punishment, for society as well as the offender.

It's a very complex subject indeed. On one hand it provides a permanent protection of society from someone who by their actions forfeited their right to participate in it. And I agree with you that lifelong incarceration is a tougher sentence than a gurney and going to sleep (at least from my limited perspective). On the other hand a lot of people incarcerated for truly heinous crimes have since come to the Lord (Jeffrey Dahmer, for example). Although, God's will is stronger than ours, and we know He saved whom He saves. So it would be silly to believe we could thwart His will by our choice of punishment.

It's definitely an interesting subject from a theological standpoint.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

OldWiseGuy

Wake me when it's soup.
Site Supporter
Feb 4, 2006
Wisconsin
Visit site
✟982,622.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
It's a very complex subject indeed. On one hand it provides a permanent protection of society from someone who by their actions forfeited their right to participate in it. And I agree with you that lifelong incarceration is a tougher sentence than a gurney and going to sleep (at least from my limited perspective). On the other hand a lot of people incarcerated for truly heinous crimes have since come to the Lord (Jeffrey Dahmer, for example). Although, God's will is stronger than ours, and we know He saved whom He saves. So it would be silly to believe we could thwart His will by our choice of punishment.

It's definitely an interesting subject from a theological standpoint.

From a theological viewpoint the executed murderer will come up in the millennial resurrection with those not called now and be given the opportunity for a favorable judgment by Christ, and so won't face the 'second death' which is the 'Big D'.

• Informative
Upvote 0

zephcom

Jul 9, 2017
Pacific Northwest
✟87,947.00
Country
United States
Faith
Deist
Marital Status
Married
Jesus and the God of the Old Testament are one and the same.

Christianity wants you to believe that because it suits their purpose.

This is a discussion which was held back in the days of Constantine when people sat around a table and held a vote. And it is a discussion which, if I read the forum rules correctly, -I- am not allowed to voice my position on.

Upvote 0

Strathos

No one important
Dec 11, 2012
God's Earth
✟263,276.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
Christianity wants you to believe that because it suits their purpose.

This is a discussion which was held back in the days of Constantine when people sat around a table and held a vote. And it is a discussion which, if I read the forum rules correctly, -I- am not allowed to voice my position on.

If you base your views of Jesus on what is written in the Bible, then why do you not accept when the Bible says Jesus is God?

Upvote 0