Nov 5, 2004
Tegucigalpa, Honduras
Visit site
✟22,601.00
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
Krysstian, is that you and your baby? How precious!

Happyboy, it is not the style of music that is good or bad, it's the spirit that rides on it.

"Sound is an intersting phenomena, it is basically defined as a sensation caused by vibration of the air. In both the natural and spiritual worlds occupancy of air space is contested hotly and, depending on the source of the sound, or vibration, the atmosphere can be a good or bad one. Sound can be spiritual as well as natural, and one can ride with the other. (John 3:8)" (from Prophet Musician, by Stephen Bennett, p.98)

John 3:8:
"The wind blows where it wishes and you hear the sound of it, but do not know where it comes from and where it is going; so is everyone who is born of the Spirit."

I believe strongly that our spirits tune in to whatever spirit rides on the music we hear - music without a strong spiritual presence does not draw attention; it might put our spirits to sleep - that's why many people fall asleep listening to the very grey-matter-oriented genre of classical music. But then again, they say, "Play Mozart, and the people will come." Hmmmm, I wonder why..... what spirit rides on Mozart's music.

Some "Christian Rock" music has the wrong spirit on it. I will not go into specifics here, but if you will be discerning, you can tell.

blessings
tal

Upvote 0

bod44

Jun 19, 2006
Eatonville, Washington
✟15,446.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Its not so much the style of music but the spirit of the music and what the music glorifies. Is the music glorifying to God? Could you witness to someone while listening to that music? Theres alot of music that is 'harmless' but doesn't promote God, worship God, or encourage you to follow Jesus. I would say that you should pray about it with an open heart and see what God says about your music. For example, I listen to switchfoot. They are considered christian, even though I find that their music isn't necessarily worshipful, it is encouraging, but I prefer Jeremy Camp because it is worshipful, and the music is pushing me to a closer walk with God. Music is wonderful if it glorifies God. Also think about the result of the music. If it makes you want to dance around or 'rock out' that isn't necessarily God glorifying. Some worship music wants to make you move around but its in a pure joy of the Lord. And finally, think about whether it glorifies the singer. There are some people that sing worshipful lyrics and you could sing them in church, but the singer is only singing it to glorify themselves. THe music shouldn't glorify the voice or the instruments, but the God that created the voice and instruments. Think about whether it makes you glorify that band or person, or God.

Upvote 0
I

InDeoHonorium2

Some of it is really good and some of it is not so good
I think that is the case with secular rock too

There is a church here in town that has a Saturday Night service that includes Rock music dancing and nothing traditional
They get 200 to 300 every time
That is 200 to 300 people that would not have anything to do with church otherwise.
That is 200 to 300 lives that are being enriched and improved, people that are drawing closer to God and improving their lives as a result.

Hey If it works DO IT

Upvote 0

kenrapoza

I Like Ice Cream
Aug 20, 2006
Massachusetts
✟11,878.00
Country
United States
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Married
Christian rock is not sinful. Recall that many of the traditional hymns that we have found to be so spiritually moving throughout the centuries were actually written in similar styles to the secular music of the time. In other words, the genre of music is not generally sacred or secular in and of itself, but the worldview associated with the specific song or musical piece might be. God can use all types of music for His Glory and different people worship in different ways.

Upvote 0

Gimpy

Senior Veteran
May 26, 2005
California
✟23,718.00
Faith
Christian
I do not like most Christian Rock, though it may not be a sin to listen to.
I think what may be sinful is that most of it is copying the originality and creativity of secular music instead of the many very creative Christian artists out there who never get a big hit or discovered because it doesnt sound secular.

Upvote 0

bod44

Jun 19, 2006
Eatonville, Washington
✟15,446.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
I do not like most Christian Rock, though it may not be a sin to listen to.
I think what may be sinful is that most of it is copying the originality and creativity of secular music instead of the many very creative Christian artists out there who never get a big hit or discovered because it doesnt sound secular.
thats a good way to put it. You can go into christian youth magazines and they have lists of if you like this secular band, then here is a christian band that sounds like it. Wait a second, avoid even the appearance of evil.(1 Thess. 5:22) Why see how close to the line we can get? Lets see how far away from the line we can get. God wants us to be a peculiar people set apart for holiness. That doesn't mean we need to be weird but there should be a difference. I've often thought, if I'm driving down the road and my music is blaring and my truck is thumping with bass and raging with guitar, what is the appearance to the world? Just another crazy teenager listening to his crazy music.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Sketcher

Born Imperishable
Feb 23, 2004
✟380,559.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
thats a good way to put it. You can go into christian youth magazines and they have lists of if you like this secular band, then here is a christian band that sounds like it. Wait a second, avoid even the appearance of evil.(1 Thess. 5:22) Why see how close to the line we can get? Lets see how far away from the line we can get. God wants us to be a peculiar people set apart for holiness. That doesn't mean we need to be weird but there should be a difference. I've often thought, if I'm driving down the road and my music is blaring and my truck is thumping with bass and raging with guitar, what is the appearance to the world? Just another crazy teenager listening to his crazy music.

Being a peculiar people is in the things that count, though. Things like loving one another, being an example in speech, avoiding debauchery. Getting legalistic on things like taste is not something we ought to waste time on.

Besides, if you want to get into what people think of you driving down the street, I'd say that's a bad witness venue. People are usually not going to know that you're Christian unless you've got the bumper stickers. If you do, you could have a bad day on the road and make the faith look bad. Unlike real life, where there is a chance of recovery later with God's help, you don't get another chance with people on the road.

Upvote 0

bod44

Jun 19, 2006
Eatonville, Washington
✟15,446.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Being a peculiar people is in the things that count, though. Things like loving one another, being an example in speech, avoiding debauchery. Getting legalistic on things like taste is not something we ought to waste time on.

Besides, if you want to get into what people think of you driving down the street, I'd say that's a bad witness venue. People are usually not going to know that you're Christian unless you've got the bumper stickers. If you do, you could have a bad day on the road and make the faith look bad. Unlike real life, where there is a chance of recovery later with God's help, you don't get another chance with people on the road.
I didn't say that rock was the problem, I just listed some problems with some of it. I used to be in the heavy metal scene before I got saved, and after I got saved I tried to write christian metal. I really didn't think it worked and I left it. Not to condemn anyone else, but I think its dangerously close to the line. Gray areas are the most dangerous areas for a christian.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.