May 12, 2006
N.C.
Visit site
✟128.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I had a question about this subject through private message. I wanted to post the question and reply in case anyone else had some input or suggestions.

Question:
“A couple of months ago we had a teenage girl come in and teach the kids a song with some hand motions. The kids really loved it. I am wanting to do something like that, like a choir or something. I have no idea where to begin. I was hoping you might have some advice?

I am quite musical myself, but have never taught anything. I dont know where to find hand motions, what songs to choose, etc. Any advice/tips you could give would be much appriciated!

My reply:
As far as hand motions, we have had mixed results. I think the key is to teach them when you teach the song so they become automatic. If you add them later, the kids tend to focus on the motions and forget to sing. That said, they do love the motions.

I generally use a variation of sign language. I use a variation because you have to keep it simple and not sign every single word. There are a couple of good websites that you can look up words on. valleybible.net and masterstech-home.com

For song choice I use songs the kids here on K-love and the CD's from Hillsong Kids and Cedarmont Kids. The popular songs you have to be very careful about selection - we've tried some and dropped them cause they were to difficult for the kids.

Upvote 0

KayD

Oct 31, 2005
United States
✟331.00
Faith
Christian
Our CC tends to do more traditional songs (our pastor isn't big on handclapping -lol- so we try to be as accomodating as possible). We'll sometimes use songs from the hymnal and try to jazz them up a bit though. It's sometimes difficult to find the right songs since our children range in age from 2 (not that she actually sings) to 15. I believe we have a 16 y.o., but he's going thru a transitory process and trying to find the place where he feels the most comfortable, be it Children's Choir or Youth Choir. All his closest friends are currently in the children's choir, so he's reluctant to move on, although he's certainly reached the age limit/maximum.

All in all the kids really love the time spent with the choir, and it works even better since we have this policy of combining ministry areas so that the kids are not overextended from participating in too many different things - I found this to work incredibly well in the previous year.

Upvote 0

JesusTogs

May 12, 2006
N.C.
Visit site
✟128.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
KayD said:
Our CC tends to do more traditional songs (our pastor isn't big on handclapping -lol- so we try to be as accomodating as possible). We'll sometimes use songs from the hymnal and try to jazz them up a bit though. It's sometimes difficult to find the right songs since our children range in age from 2 (not that she actually sings) to 15. I believe we have a 16 y.o., but he's going thru a transitory process and trying to find the place where he feels the most comfortable, be it Children's Choir or Youth Choir. All his closest friends are currently in the children's choir, so he's reluctant to move on, although he's certainly reached the age limit/maximum.

All in all the kids really love the time spent with the choir, and it works even better since we have this policy of combining ministry areas so that the kids are not overextended from participating in too many different things - I found this to work incredibly well in the previous year.
Oh my, if your pastor isn't big on hand clapping he wouldn't appreciate our choir at all! One of our favorite songs is "Jesus is My Superhero" complete with superhero "flying" and shouting out phrases such as "Better than Batman!" Have you heard of Cedarmont Kids? Their music tends to take the traditional songs and jazz them up.

What is your typical choir practice like? Length? Do you practice weekly?

I thought we had a wide age range with 4-12! How is it going with 2 yr old and 16 yr old both interested.

Thanks!
JesusTogs

Upvote 0

KayD

Oct 31, 2005
United States
✟331.00
Faith
Christian
JesusTogs said:
Oh my, if your pastor isn't big on hand clapping he wouldn't appreciate our choir at all! One of our favorite songs is "Jesus is My Superhero" complete with superhero "flying" and shouting out phrases such as "Better than Batman!" Have you heard of Cedarmont Kids? Their music tends to take the traditional songs and jazz them up.

What is your typical choir practice like? Length? Do you practice weekly?

I thought we had a wide age range with 4-12! How is it going with 2 yr old and 16 yr old both interested.

Thanks!
JesusTogs

You're right - an action song such as that would send our pastor just a bit over the edge :D.

We've used some of the songs from the cedarmont kids' albums, but given the choice the children prefer selecting songs that they've heard the youth choir singing. Apparently, many of them are more than mentally prepared to join the youth choir, but the youth choir directors haven't worked with kids before, thus they are reluctant to take some of the children on until they are a bit older (lol). The song choices actually work out well for the children's choir, as it gives the director (I only assist when I can) more leverage with voice training - and the kids absolutely love the fact that they can harmonize in 3 or 4 parts (hehe).

We generally practice on a weekly basis, and practice usually lasts for about 1 1/2 to 2 hours. Whenever there is a special event such as a cantata or concert (or anything else), however, practice time increases to several times per week (with the parent's consent). We generally send out consent forms to the parents whenever this occurs; this way the parents are kept informed. The director also makes a list of all practice dates (including cancellations, concerts, assignments, etc. - the list is usually projected for the next 3 or 6 months, and any variations or changes are done via phone - we try to stick to the schedule as much as possible though) and sends the list home to the parents to post on the refrigerator.

Prior to practice, the kids always have devotions/worship, and they are always given an opportunity to share a testimony (either b4 or after practice). We'll sometimes do special activities such as Bible quizzes or b-day celebrations, depending on the length of time.

Though it's not always easy to work with such a vast age difference, it's also not that challenging when I think about it. Lauren (the 2 y.o.) is the baby and tends to wander A LOT ;). She is very good when she is reminded of why she is there, though (lol). And the older kids all have younger siblings, so it's not unusual for them to keep the other kids in line (in a sometimes nice way, of course - hehe). Puberty hit really hard for the 16 y.o. recently, so he's still trying to work out the kinks in his voice, and is perhaps reconsidering his membership in the Children's Choir :). All in all, everyone is very patient with regard to the age differences. Part of it may have to do with the fact that in the previous years we planned a lot of ministry and social activities that involved ALL the children, thus they became very familiar and comfortable with each other.

I think what's really helped us most of all, however, is to stress that though we want them to have fun, that children's choir is not only about fun, but it's also a ministry - that on any given day someone may walk thru the church doors and may be converted via the music (as that's how the choir director accepted Christ). Also, having devotions, and allowing the children to participate in testimony sharing time has further instilled this I think. So even though they have a lot of fun, they can show the appropriate amount of reverence when ready. I hope your ministry is a blessing in more ways than you could ever imagine :thumbsup: :amen:.

Upvote 0

JesusTogs

May 12, 2006
N.C.
Visit site
✟128.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Thanks for the reply. I really like to know what other people do. We have two 4 year olds and two 5 year olds in choir that our the youngest (on of them my son). We just realize up front that they may sing or they may just stand there and look cute. The last time we performed, between songs one of our four year olds says (very loudly) Ms. Karen, I got to pee! Luckily, we are a very casual church and everyone thought it was very funny.

One of the highlights for us this year, we do a song by a group called Sunday Shoes. They came to our church to do a concert and we arranged for the kids to sing for them at their sound check. It was so cool. They (the artists) were both in tears.

We practice weekly but only for 45 min to an hour. The kids are pretty much done by then. We have a website with a calendar of practices/events that the parents can check anytime. I like your idea of the kids giving their testimony. We might try that.

Thanks for sharing!

Upvote 0

Wisteria

May 13, 2006
California
✟15,412.00
Faith
Baptist
KayD said:
It's sometimes difficult to find the right songs since our children range in age from 2 (not that she actually sings) to 15.

Aww, that's sweet that there's a two year old in your choir. I think her job is just to stand there and look cute!

A couple months ago my five year old niece sang in front of the church with her Sunday school group. Actually, she didn't sing...she just stood there looking very cute. But then after the song was over and all the kids filed off the stage...she continued standing there, looking out at the audience. One of the leaders had to come help her off stage.

Upvote 0