Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Oct 30, 2006
✟797,917.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
OP - I had noticed the same thing. There are pockets of believers in many denominations now that speak in tongues and operate in the other spiritual gifts. Do you think that might have some influence - meaning the pockets of believers?

Last edited:
Upvote 0

MinisterTony

Nov 13, 2010
✟389.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
OP - I had noticed the same thing. There are pockets of believers in many denominations now that speak in tongues and operate in the other spiritual gifts. Do you think that might have some influence?

That is a false spirit that has entered the Church. Watch the video I posted above.

Upvote 0

tturt

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Oct 30, 2006
✟797,917.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
huh, I believe in Godly speaking in tongues. No, thanks, not interested in the video. I already know the enemy tries to counterfeit the things of God and I figure that's it's purpose. BUT we know from Scripture it is a gift if Yahweh, if believers want to receive it (but God decides who gets the gift of tongues and interpretation for church edification).

Upvote 0

pcgeek12

Oct 31, 2010
✟7,628.00
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Single
I believe in Godly speaking in tongues.
because there is a devil and he tries to counterfit it
and in the counterfit,he gives false tongues.example those are like hypnotize and those who have no control of thier tongues those are false tongues.
We can control our tonguesand the Holy Spirit is not the aggresive Spirit but a gentle spirit

Upvote 0

RevRo

Sep 16, 2010
Florida
✟8,073.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
That is a false spirit that has entered the Church. Watch the video I posted above.

Act 2: 38 Then Peter said unto them, Repent, and be baptized every one of you in the name of Jesus Christ for the remission of sins, and ye shall receive the gift of the Holy Ghost. 39 For the promise is unto you, and to your children, and to all that are afar off, even as many as the Lord our God shall call.

Upvote 0

Dr.Strangelove

Sep 4, 2010
✟1,631.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
The Charismatic movement? Hmmmm....I've noticed that many in this movement hold the following views:

- Pre-Trib rapture
- Dual covenant theology
- Dispensationalism
- A yoking to the nation state of Isreal and a belief that Jews are still Gods chosen people
- Speaking gibberish and other disorderly conduct in church (as seen in the video posted)
- The claim that there are modern day apostles and prophets
- The claim that pastors and churches have authority over the flock.

I'm not a fan of this movement. Infact I think it's apostate to the core.

Upvote 0

Big Drew

Believer
Site Supporter
Nov 10, 2009
Alabama
✟74,961.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
How come there are Charismatic Movement in Main Line Churches?
may i know how the history abt it?
Thank you.
Because the Charismatic Movement started in a mainline church...

[FONT=verdana,arial,helvetica,sans-serif][SIZE=-1]Father Dennis Bennett was the Episcopal priest who verbally fired the shot that was heard around the world. On April 3, 1960, he spoke from his pulpit at the thriving St. Mark's Church, Van Nuys, California and shared with his congregation that he had received a personal Pentecost or Baptism with the Spirit. And as with the original Pentecost in Jerusalem nearly 2,000 years before, scripture says, "They were all filled with the Holy Spirit and began to speak with other tongues, as the Spirit gave them utterance" (Acts 2:4 NKJV). Now Dennis shared that he, and then many of his congregation, had this empowering experience. This was his flock and he wanted them to know that God had more in store for them, so he told them, to his own disadvantage.[/SIZE][/FONT]
Dennis J. Bennett-Biography

Upvote 0

Dr.Strangelove

Sep 4, 2010
✟1,631.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
In May 1960, Episcopalian minister Dennis Bennett told his Van Nuys, California parishioners that he had begun speaking in tongues after baptism in the Holy Spirit. Many mark this as the beginning of the present-day Pentecostal/Charismatic movement.

The Pentecostal /Latter Rain movements have never ceased, rather, merely changed faces. According to some authors the reporting and proselytizing for the new movement within the American church and worldwide, was handled personally by David du Plessis of AOG. However, Harald Bredesen helped publish Dennis Bennett’s and du Plessis’ Trinity newsletter.

Jamie Buckingham, through the magazine Logos Journal introduced many of the charismatic leaders to a wider audience. Leaders such as: “Dennis Bennett, Bob Mumford, Harold Hill, Merlin Carothers, Iverna Tompkins and Judson Cornwall, to name a few… He edited the Logos Journal for a time and wrote 14 books for the company, including the best-sellers Shout it From the Housetops (1972), written with CBN founder Pat Robertson, and Daughter of Destiny (1976), the story of Kathryn Kuhlman. Jamie also served on the original board of directors for Logos, alongside such charismatic leaders as David du Plessis, Bob Slosser and Gen. Ralph Haines.” Buckingham, along with many others, fully supported and endorsed Kathryn Kuhlman, who committed adultery and whose ministry was to unite denominations including Protestant with Catholic.

From SeekGod.com

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

MinisterTony

Nov 13, 2010
✟389.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
In May 1960, Episcopalian minister Dennis Bennett told his Van Nuys, California parishioners that he had begun speaking in tongues after baptism in the Holy Spirit. ..

It's Satan's counterfeit tongue that he is experiencing.

100% of the tongues in Pentecostal and Charismatic churches is false!! And I will explain why!

1. Every single occurrence of tongues in the Bible was KNOWN LANGUAGES! It was given to overcome the language barrier so people could share the Good News with people of different languages. There is not even a single event in the entire Bible where someone was speaking in tongues which nobody understood.

2. The Bible clearly says that tongues is NOT for believers, but for UNBELIEVERS! So a room full of Pentecostals or Charismatics who are BELIEVERS in Christ, speaking UNKNOWN tongues is not only unbiblical, but it's human fanaticism/emotionalism and a crime against God!

1 Corinthians 14:22 Tongues, then, are a sign, not for believers but for unbelievers; prophecy, however, is for believers, not for unbelievers.

3. NOT EVERYONE receives the same gift, NOT EVERYONE will receive the gift of tongues, So a room full of Pentecostals or Charismatics who are ALL speaking tongues is not only unbiblical, but is also human fanaticism/emotionalism and a crime against God, and a contradiction against the Bible.

Those 3 points are just the start of the problems with the Pentecostals and Charismatics Movements.

You have to make a choice... follow men or follow God. Follow error, or renounce error and embrace truth.

Most people will never renounce error when shown it, due to PRIDE and EGO. They rather die defending their error than force themselves to humbly admit their error and repent.

Your choice.

Upvote 0

RevRo

Sep 16, 2010
Florida
✟8,073.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status

100% of the tongues in Pentecostal and Charismatic churches is false!! And I will explain why!

1. Every single occurrence of tongues in the Bible was KNOWN LANGUAGES! It was given to overcome the language barrier so people could share the Good News with people of different languages. There is not even a single event in the entire Bible where someone was speaking in tongues which nobody understood.

2. The Bible clearly says that tongues is NOT for believers, but for UNBELIEVERS! So a room full of Pentecostals or Charismatics who are BELIEVERS in Christ, speaking UNKNOWN tongues is not only unbiblical, but it's human fanaticism/emotionalism and a crime against God!

1 Corinthians 14:22 Tongues, then, are a sign, not for believers but for unbelievers; prophecy, however, is for believers, not for unbelievers.

3. NOT EVERYONE receives the same gift, NOT EVERYONE will receive the gift of tongues, So a room full of Pentecostals or Charismatics who are ALL speaking tongues is not only unbiblical, but is also human fanaticism/emotionalism and a crime against God, and a contradiction against the Bible.

Those 3 points are just the start of the problems with the Pentecostals and Charismatics Movements.

You have to make a choice... follow men or follow God. Follow error, or renounce error and embrace truth.

Most people will never renounce error when shown it, due to PRIDE and EGO. They rather die defending their error than force themselves to humbly admit their error and repent.

Your choice.
1 Corinthians 14:27
"If any man speak in an [unknown] tongue, [let it be] by two, or at the most [by] three, and [that] by course; and let one interpret."

In context:
1 Follow after charity, and desire spiritual gifts, but rather that ye may prophesy. 2 For he that speaketh in an unknown tongue speaketh not unto men, but unto God: for no man understandeth him; howbeit in the spirit he speaketh mysteries. 3 But he that prophesieth speaketh unto men to edification, and exhortation, and comfort. 4 He that speaketh in an unknown tongue edifieth himself; but he that prophesieth edifieth the church. 5 I would that ye all spake with tongues, but rather that ye prophesied: for greater is he that prophesieth than he that speaketh with tongues, except he interpret, that the church may receive edifying.

6 Now, brethren, if I come unto you speaking with tongues, what shall I profit you, except I shall speak to you either by revelation, or by knowledge, or by prophesying, or by doctrine? 7 And even things without life giving sound, whether pipe or harp, except they give a distinction in the sounds, how shall it be known what is piped or harped? 8 For if the trumpet give an uncertain sound, who shall prepare himself to the battle? 9 So likewise ye, except ye utter by the tongue words easy to be understood, how shall it be known what is spoken? for ye shall speak into the air. 10 There are, it may be, so many kinds of voices in the world, and none of them is without signification. 11 Therefore if I know not the meaning of the voice, I shall be unto him that speaketh a barbarian, and he that speaketh shall be a barbarian unto me. 12 Even so ye, forasmuch as ye are zealous of spiritual gifts, seek that ye may excel to the edifying of the church.
13 Wherefore let him that speaketh in an unknown tongue pray that he may interpret. 14 For if I pray in an unknown tongue, my spirit prayeth, but my understanding is unfruitful. 15 What is it then? I will pray with the spirit, and I will pray with the understanding also: I will sing with the spirit, and I will sing with the understanding also. 16 Else when thou shalt bless with the spirit, how shall he that occupieth the room of the unlearned say Amen at thy giving of thanks, seeing he understandeth not what thou sayest? 17 For thou verily givest thanks well, but the other is not edified. 18 I thank my God, I speak with tongues more than ye all: 19 Yet in the church I had rather speak five words with my understanding, that by my voice I might teach others also, than ten thousand words in an unknown tongue.
20 Brethren, be not children in understanding: howbeit in malice be ye children, but in understanding be men. 21 In the law it is written, With men of other tongues and other lips will I speak unto this people; and yet for all that will they not hear me, saith the Lord. 22 Wherefore tongues are for a sign, not to them that believe, but to them that believe not: but prophesying serveth not for them that believe not, but for them which believe. 23 If therefore the whole church be come together into one place, and all speak with tongues, and there come in those that are unlearned, or unbelievers, will they not say that ye are mad? 24 But if all prophesy, and there come in one that believeth not, or one unlearned, he is convinced of all, he is judged of all: 25 And thus are the secrets of his heart made manifest; and so falling down on his face he will worship God, and report that God is in you of a truth. 26 How is it then, brethren? when ye come together, every one of you hath a psalm, hath a doctrine, hath a tongue, hath a revelation, hath an interpretation. Let all things be done unto edifying. 27 If any man speak in an unknown tongue, let it be by two, or at the most by three, and that by course; and let one interpret. 28 But if there be no interpreter, let him keep silence in the church; and let him speak to himself, and to God. 29 Let the prophets speak two or three, and let the other judge. 30 If any thing be revealed to another that sitteth by, let the first hold his peace. 31 For ye may all prophesy one by one, that all may learn, and all may be comforted. 32 And the spirits of the prophets are subject to the prophets. 33 For God is not the author of confusion, but of peace, as in all churches of the saints.

Upvote 0

His_disciple3

Nov 22, 2010
as close to Jesus as I can be
✟17,075.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
In May 1960, Episcopalian minister Dennis Bennett told his Van Nuys, California parishioners that he had begun speaking in tongues after baptism in the Holy Spirit. Many mark this as the beginning of the present-day Pentecostal/Charismatic movement.

The Pentecostal /Latter Rain movements have never ceased, rather, merely changed faces. According to some authors the reporting and proselytizing for the new movement within the American church and worldwide, was handled personally by David du Plessis of AOG. However, Harald Bredesen helped publish Dennis Bennett’s and du Plessis’ Trinity newsletter.

Jamie Buckingham, through the magazine Logos Journal introduced many of the charismatic leaders to a wider audience. Leaders such as: “Dennis Bennett, Bob Mumford, Harold Hill, Merlin Carothers, Iverna Tompkins and Judson Cornwall, to name a few… He edited the Logos Journal for a time and wrote 14 books for the company, including the best-sellers Shout it From the Housetops (1972), written with CBN founder Pat Robertson, and Daughter of Destiny (1976), the story of Kathryn Kuhlman. Jamie also served on the original board of directors for Logos, alongside such charismatic leaders as David du Plessis, Bob Slosser and Gen. Ralph Haines.” Buckingham, along with many others, fully supported and endorsed Kathryn Kuhlman, who committed adultery and whose ministry was to unite denominations including Protestant with Catholic.

From SeekGod.com
You go by the name of Dr., you should research something a little better if you are going to comment on it, Smith Wigglesworth, borned in 1859 was one of the founding fathers of the penecostal movement, well wait let's go beyond that, I thought the pentecostal movement began in Acts Chapter 2.

and then Peter, John and the other disciples and the new Apostle Paul was simply doing what we all should do and Paul made this clear.

1 Corinthians 11:1-4
11 Be ye followers of me, even as I also am of Christ.
2 Now I praise you, brethren, that ye remember me in all things, and keep the ordinances, as I delivered them to you.
3 But I would have you know, that the head of every man is Christ; and the head of the woman is the man; and the head of Christ is God.
4 Every man praying or prophesying, having his head covered, dishonoureth his head.
KJV
Paul was allowing God to work through Him in healing, raising the dead, preaching with boldness, speaking in tongues, praying in tongues, BAPTISING IN THE HOLY SPIRIT, and this was the gentile Apostle, passing out pieces of clothe with healings. and Peter just walk by them and they were healed By God, and we preach that God is the same yesterday, as He is today and will be The same tomorrow, and That He is not a respect of persons, yet when we see Him manifest Himself through the Spirit, and use someone to do these same things, oh no that ain't of God, That's the Devil, even though God said that the devil would have power at sometime to do signs and wonders He also said that He( God ) would shows sign and wonders. so every sign and wonder is not of the Devil, why did He give us 1 john and tell us to try the spirits to see if they were of God. if all spirits that do sign and wonders are of the devil we don't need to test to see if they are of God, PUT YOUR GOD IN A BOX and tell what He can do and not Do !!!!! go ahead if that is the god, you want to serve, one that fits within your denominational doctrine. go ahead serve him, But as far as me and my House we will serve the God, that nothing is too hard for Him, the One that all things are possible through Him. and yes we attend a southern baptist, Church. we also have preached in a full Gospel Church and prophecised for a Assembly of God Church and I pastored a non-denom/christian Church. Want to know What God said about gifts being used in churches that didn't normally use them, He told Me this is the Unity that was prophecised in the Bible and the unity of the Body of Christ that I and numberous others have been praying for, for along time, now. Look the unforgivable sin is blaspheme of the Holy Spirit, now you can word it anyway you want , but blasmphere is to speak evil/bad of. If The Holy Spirit working through a man in 2010, and causes that man to speak in tongues and to prophecise, and you give the devil credit for that gift of the Spirit, then that is pretty much speaking evil/bad of . so to answer to OP :

Ephesians 4:1-7
4 I therefore, the prisoner of the Lord, beseech you that ye walk worthy of the vocation wherewith ye are called,
2 With all lowliness and meekness, with longsuffering, forbearing one another in love;
3 Endeavouring to keep the unity of the Spirit in the bond of peace.
4 There is one body, and one Spirit, even as ye are called in one hope of your calling;
5 One Lord, one faith, one baptism,
6 One God and Father of all, who is above all, and through all, and in you all.
7 But unto every one of us is given grace according to the measure of the gift of Christ.
8 Wherefore he saith, When he ascended up on high, he led captivity captive, and gave gifts unto men.
9 (Now that he ascended, what is it but that he also descended first into the lower parts of the earth?
10 He that descended is the same also that ascended up far above all heavens, that he might fill all things.)
11 And he gave some, apostles; and some, prophets; and some, evangelists; and some, pastors and teachers;
12 For the perfecting of the saints, for the work of the ministry, for the edifying of the body of Christ:
13 Till we all come in the unity of the faith, and of the knowledge of the Son of God, unto a perfect man, unto the measure of the stature of the fulness of Christ:
14 That we henceforth be no more children, tossed to and fro, and carried about with every wind of doctrine, by the sleight of men, and cunning craftiness, whereby they lie in wait to deceive;
KJV

Have we all come into unity, if your answer is no. if you say yes then I ask you to just look around in this forum and see all the division if all debated their veiw of scriptures, and if you then say well maybe we have not come into that unity. then the Church still needs all of the Five fold Minstry, the five offices for the perfecting of the saints, the work of the minstry, and the edifying of the body of Christ, which is the CHURCH!!!!!! we still need all the gifts of the Spirit, how can we have prophets if prophecy has ceased?

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Dr.Strangelove

Sep 4, 2010
✟1,631.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

Your choice.

Absolutely agree with all of that. :thumbsup:.

Talking gibberish and running around in church behaving like buffoons is unblical. Pauls last words on the matter were:

1st Corinth 14:40 Let all things be done decently and in order.

Upvote 0

Dr.Strangelove

Sep 4, 2010
✟1,631.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Have we all come into unity, if your answer is no. if you say yes then I ask you to just look around in this forum and see all the division if all debated their veiw of scriptures, and if you then say well maybe we have not come into that unity. then the Church still needs all of the Five fold Minstry, the five offices for the perfecting of the saints, the work of the minstry, and the edifying of the body of Christ, which is the CHURCH!!!!!! we still need all the gifts of the Spirit, how can we have prophets if prophecy has ceased?

Because prophesy is teaching from the prophecy of scripture. Therefore anyone can prophesize. It's all written down. In the Word.

Disunity comes from denominations veering from the Word and being led by fallible men and by socialist group think.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

His_disciple3

Nov 22, 2010
✟17,075.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican

Your choice.
let me prove that your understanding on tongues has been misguided or even twisted and we all know the one that twisted God's word to deceive God's people don't we.

all tongues are known languages is your quote, man's doctrine but the scriptures says :
1 Corinthians 14:2
2 For he that speaketh in an unknown tongue speaketh not unto men, but unto God: for no man understandeth him; howbeit in the spirit he speaketh mysteries.
KJV

the unknown tongues spoken of in the Bible, Sir, for no man understanded, oh wait you don't trust the Autorized KJB so let me give it to you in your preverted translation the one that denies the Christ came in the Flesh.

1 Corinthians 14:2 (New American Standard Bible)

2For one who (A)speaks in a tongue does not speak to men but to God; for no one understands, but in his spirit he speaks (B)mysteries.

Cross references:
  1. 1 Corinthians 14:2 : Mark 16:17; 1 Cor 12:10, 28, 30; 13:1; 14:18-ff
  2. 1 Corinthians 14:2 : 1 Cor 13:2
again this is close but "no one understands" this is not a known lanuage to any man, thus your statement Sir , is false and you are the one unbibical, not speaking in tongues, for God's Holy Word also says :

1 Corinthians 14:38-39
38 But if any man be ignorant, let him be ignorant.
39 Wherefore, brethren, covet to prophesy, and forbid not to speak with tongues.
KJV

why would anyone forbid anyone to speak in a known language??

now again I am not condemning you for we know that" let him be ignorant", and God winks at ignorance

Upvote 0

His_disciple3

Nov 22, 2010
✟17,075.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Absolutely agree with all of that. :thumbsup:.

Talking gibberish and running around in church behaving like buffoons is unblical. Pauls last words on the matter were:

1st Corinth 14:40 Let all things be done decently and in order.
see the above post and see that you are absolutely wrong as well

39 Wherefore, brethren, covet to prophesy, and forbid not to speak with tongues.
KJV

Upvote 0

Dr.Strangelove

Sep 4, 2010
✟1,631.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
see the above post and see that you are absolutely wrong as well

KJV

So Paul is saying that speaking in a foreign language is ok. And he clarified that you better have an interpreter handy otherwise it'll only be God yer speaking to and not any of your brethren.

I don't see how any of your postings support Babbleonian talk.

Upvote 0

His_disciple3

Nov 22, 2010
✟17,075.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Because prophesy is teaching from the prophecy of scripture. Therefore anyone can prophesize. It's all written down. In the Word.

Disunity comes from denominations veering from the Word and being led by fallible men and by socialist group think.

I will agree with you Sir on your last statement but who is doing the veering and misleading should be determined by scriptures and Not man, as well as your other statement concerning prophecy; that is quoting prophecy already given, I think we call that preaching the Word. But God used Prophecy to warn people and to let Them know if blessings were coming in the Old and the New Testament , is He still the Same God as He was yesterday,

are we still in the last Days??????

Acts 2:17
17 And it shall come to pass in the last days, saith God, I will pour out of my Spirit upon all flesh: and your sons and your daughters shall prophesy, and your young men shall see visions, and your old men shall dream dreams:
KJV
this has happened and this is going to happen, this is of God, it is up to you to believe God or Not. this will continue to happen until the moon turns to blood , on that notable day that the Lord comes

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Dr.Strangelove

Sep 4, 2010
✟1,631.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I will agree with you Sir on your last statement but who is doing the veering and misleading should be determined by scriptures and Not man, as well as your other statement concerning prophecy; that is quoting prophecy already given, I think we call that preaching the Word. But God used Prophecy to warn people and to let Them know if blessings were coming in the Old and the New Testament , is He still the Same God as He was yesterday,

Yes it's preaching prophecy. Which counts as prophesying. Tell me, what are the people prophesying in you're church this week? anything interesting. Anything thats not in the Bible?

are we still in the last Days??????

Acts 2:17
17 And it shall come to pass in the last days, saith God, I will pour out of my Spirit upon all flesh: and your sons and your daughters shall prophesy, and your young men shall see visions, and your old men shall dream dreams:
KJV
this has happened and this is going to happen, this is of God, it is up to you to believe God or Not. this will continue to happen until the moon turns to blood , on that notable day that the Lord comes

Again, how does any of this support talking gibberish?

I got no problems with scriptural prophesying or dreams...and there will certainly be some vision to behold in the endtimes.

Wheres the ridiculous behaviour that goes on in Pentacostal / Charismatic churches in scripture?

Upvote 0