Neath, Wales, UK
✟1,010,777.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
The Bible is written in metaphoric/symbolic language. Revelation's plot line was to reveal Jesus and the New Covenant (do you NOT believe we are in the New Covenant?):

Quoting from linked article:
It is important to understand that in the book of Revelation, as in other parts of sacred Scripture, the "passing away" of heaven and earth is not necessarily the end of the world as we know it, nor is it necessarily the dissolution of the existing universe. It was St. Peter' message in his great homily given during the Jewish Feast of Shavuot / Weeks (known as the Feast of Pentecost in the first century AD; see Acts 2:1) when he quoted from Joel 3:1-5 (Acts 2:16-21), announcing that the "Last Days" have come to mankind with the apocalyptic event of Jesus' death, resurrection, and ascension. St. Peter's message to the crowd of Jews on their way to the Temple to celebrate the feast that commemorated the giving of the Law at Mt. Sinai was that those of his generation were now living in the "new and final" age prophesied by the prophet Isaiah as the time of "new heavens and a new earth" (Is 65:17; 66:22).​

St. John's revelation is apocalyptic literature concerned with the apocalyptic events as they unfolded in the time after Jesus' ascension to the Father as the "gate" or "door of heaven" now stood open (Rev. 4:1)'the "door" of heaven having been closed since man's fall from grace in Eden but an event now made possible through Christ's sacrifice on the altar of the Cross (Catechism of the Catholic Church # 1026) ~ The Revelation of Jesus Christ to His Servant John - Introduction Part 1

Everything in Revelation has to be read through this filter: "A revelation of Jesus Christ, which God gave Him so that He could tell His servants what is now to take place very soon; He sent His angel to make it known to His servant John, and John has borne witness to the Word of God and to the witness of Jesus Christ, everything that he saw (Rev 1:1).

This is very true. Revelation is indeed written in metaphoric/symbolic language. One cannot take it literally.

Upvote 0

keras

Writer of studies on Bible prophecy
Feb 7, 2013
Thames, New Zealand
Visit site
✟293,263.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
Isaiah 39 has only 8 verses.
Corrected: Isaiah 30:26 The sun shall shine with seven times its usual brightness and the moon will shine as bright as the sun.....
The ONLY way this can literally happen, is for the sun to emit a powerful Coronal Mass Ejection.
To spiritualize it is to make the Bible meaningless and to think it happened in the past is to contradict the historical record.

Upvote 0

mkgal1

His perfect way sets me free. 2 Samuel 22:33
Site Supporter
Jun 22, 2007
California
✟551,233.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Quoting from David Chilton's Days of Vengeance: “The testimony of Jesus is the spirit of prophecy” (Rev. 19:10); to ignore Jesus in favor of atomic blasts is a perversion of Scripture, a blasphemous twisting of God’s holy Word. (p. 24).

Upvote 0

Lost4words

Jesus I Trust In You
Site Supporter
May 19, 2018
Neath, Wales, UK
✟1,010,777.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Corrected: Isaiah 30:26 The sun shall shine with seven times its usual brightness and the moon will shine as bright as the sun.....
The ONLY way this can literally happen, is for the sun to emit a powerful Coronal Mass Ejection.
To spiritualize it is to make the Bible meaningless and to think it happened in the past is to contradict the historical record.

You assume its meant to be taken 'literally' ;)

Upvote 0

yeshuaslavejeff

simple truth, martyr, disciple of Yahshua
Jan 6, 2005
okie
✟214,996.00
Faith
Anabaptist
You assume its meant to be taken 'literally'
Like me, and other Ekklesia, he and we listen to Jesus.
As Jesus says "MY sheep HEAR MY VOICE"
as well as
our FATHER in heaven has good pleasure in REVEALING EVERYTHING ABOUT SALVATION to us, His little children !

So , we know. Father says so. Man's tradition goes against Him so often, it is best to stop following or listening to man's tradition. Especially since, and when, man's tradition is so much contrary to God's Word.

Upvote 0

Lost4words

Jesus I Trust In You
Site Supporter
May 19, 2018
Neath, Wales, UK
✟1,010,777.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Like me, and other Ekklesia, he and we listen to Jesus.
As Jesus says "MY sheep HEAR MY VOICE"
as well as
our FATHER in heaven has good pleasure in REVEALING EVERYTHING ABOUT SALVATION to us, His little children !

So , we know. Father says so. Man's tradition goes against Him so often, it is best to stop following or listening to man's tradition. Especially since, and when, man's tradition is so much contrary to God's Word.

Then you had better stop following you very own tradition then.

God bless you buddy

• Winner
Reactions: charsan
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Lost4words

Jesus I Trust In You
Site Supporter
May 19, 2018
Neath, Wales, UK
✟1,010,777.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Unless one listens to the Shepherd...... and takes it as Yahuweh reveals it ....

You read it. You see it as you think it reads. This is obvious by many of your posts friend.

• Winner
Upvote 0

yeshuaslavejeff

simple truth, martyr, disciple of Yahshua
Jan 6, 2005
okie
✟214,996.00
Faith
Anabaptist
You read it. You see it as you think it reads. This is obvious by many of your posts friend.
You say. You think.

But the Father says it is HIS GOOD PLEASURE TO REVEAL THE TRUTH... NOT my thinking it is so, nor reading it "in the flesh"....

EVERYONE who receives the FATHER'S REVELATION receives the SAME TRUTH.

NOT in line with man's teachings nor man's traditions.

• Optimistic
Reactions: Lost4words
Upvote 0

Lost4words

Jesus I Trust In You
Site Supporter
May 19, 2018
Neath, Wales, UK
✟1,010,777.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
No tradition.
I repented of all of man's tradition and teachings that were /are/ contrary to the Father in heaven, and opposed to His Word.

Anabaptist. You follow the tradition of the anabaptist!

I follow the Holy Tradition, Apostolic succession and Holy Scripture as given by Jesus to His church.

• Winner
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

mkgal1

Site Supporter
Jun 22, 2007
California
✟551,233.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
.....or that it is NOT taken literally, but instead, to mean symbolically that there WAS an increase in spiritual brightness.

Matthew Henry's commentary says:
Isaiah Chapter 30
The prophecy of this chapter seems to relate (as that in the foregoing chapter) to the approaching danger of Jerusalem and desolations of Judah by Sennacherib's invasion.

III. A gracious promise to those who trusted in God, that they should not only see through the trouble, but should see happy days after it, times of joy and reformation, plenty of the means of grace, and therewith plenty of outward good things and increasing joys and triumphs (v. 18-26), and many of these promises are very applicable to gospel grace ~ Commentary on Isaiah 30 by Matthew Henry

Last edited:
  • Agree
Upvote 0

Lost4words

Jesus I Trust In You
Site Supporter
May 19, 2018
Neath, Wales, UK
✟1,010,777.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
You say. You think.

But the Father says it is HIS GOOD PLEASURE TO REVEAL THE TRUTH... NOT my thinking it is so, nor reading it "in the flesh"....

EVERYONE who receives the FATHER'S REVELATION receives the SAME TRUTH.

NOT in line with man's teachings nor man's traditions.

Just like, all the other protestant denominations then who each have their own 'truth' on what scripture is saying..;)

Upvote 0

charsan

Charismatic Episcopal Church
Jul 12, 2019
South California
✟62,421.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Just like, all the other protestant denominations then who each have their own 'truth' on what scripture is saying..;)

Not just denominations but each person that looks at a Bible has their own "individual truth".

• Winner
Upvote 0

Lost4words

Jesus I Trust In You
Site Supporter
May 19, 2018
Neath, Wales, UK
✟1,010,777.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Not just denominations but each person that looks at a Bible has their own "individual truth".

Correct.

How many times have we read that Jesus has told someone scripture means this or that?

Upvote 0

mkgal1

Site Supporter
Jun 22, 2007
California
✟551,233.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Keras said:
To spiritualize it is to make the Bible meaningless.
What *meaningful* message comes from catastrophic natural occurrences like what you're describing?

I can't understand how gleaning spiritual messages - as to what I quoted earlier, by Matthew Henry - is "meaningless"?

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.