cautious to try a new church

R

raz!

I have always been to catholic churches and would feel comfortable being in ANY catholic church, i love that form of worship and would never leave it. However in the past I have been to a Baptist church and enjoyed that form of worship just as much.
I want the best of both worlds lol
the catholic church - which for me seems more like a personal experience. deep prayer.
but i also want to go to a pentecostal church and enjoy that less formal form of worship. to really let go and YES LORD. I AM HERE!

but i am worried. i dont really know anything about pentecostal beliefs or how they will receive me with my contradicting beliefs.

if anyone could shed some light on the differences for me that would be fantastic.

Zoness

667, neighbor of the beast
Site Supporter
Jul 21, 2008
Illinois
✟468,399.00
Country
United States
Faith
Pagan
Marital Status
Married
Well, uh, be ready for loudness? Pentecostals believe in the active presence of the gifts of the holy spirit. You will hear people shouting "Amen!" a lot during sermons and occasionally people break out in speaking tongues. It's pretty intense, although not for me.

The theology is way different than Catholicism but it is pretty typical of Protestantism: The bible is the only authority for matters of faith, the church is all believers etc. the key separating factor is the gifts of the holy spirit, that is what makes them distinct.

Good luck

Upvote 0

Redheadedstepchild

Child of God
Site Supporter
Jun 3, 2007
2 weeks from everywhere
✟69,214.00
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Politics
US-Others
That said, there is a segment of Catholics that consider themselves to be charismatic.

I have never been to a Catholic service. Do some Catholic churches have contemporary services (aren't these sometimes called "low church?"). That might be worth looking into.

Upvote 0

liars_paradox

Jun 8, 2009
North Carolina
✟9,505.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
I have always been to catholic churches and would feel comfortable being in ANY catholic church, i love that form of worship and would never leave it. However in the past I have been to a Baptist church and enjoyed that form of worship just as much.
I want the best of both worlds lol
the catholic church - which for me seems more like a personal experience. deep prayer.
but i also want to go to a pentecostal church and enjoy that less formal form of worship. to really let go and YES LORD. I AM HERE!

but i am worried. i dont really know anything about pentecostal beliefs or how they will receive me with my contradicting beliefs.

if anyone could shed some light on the differences for me that would be fantastic.

Shouldn't beliefs be the main determining factor in trying to join a denomination? Yeah the type of service does help in motivating one in going to church on Sabbath, but if I was to identify myself with a denomination I'd want to be sure that I actually agreed with that denomination in case someone were to discuss the bible on an intellectual level with me.

You don't know how frustrating it is for someone like me to come across the kind of people who don't know why they're saying the things they're saying in regards to the bible. I'm not saying that this is what you are, because I don't know you. It's just what you said reminded me of some people I've encountered in the past.

But, you and I are in a similar situation, where I'm looking for a denomination which fits my preferences. For me, however, beliefs are a big issue. It's not that I think that MY beliefs are the only correct ones to have, but it's mainly for self-identification purposes. I don't want to identify myself with a denomination I know nothing about, because then I might be assumed to have beliefs which I don't have.

Upvote 0

Izdaari Eristikon

Mar 12, 2007
Post Falls, Idaho
✟32,841.00
Country
United States
Faith
Episcopalian
Marital Status
Married
Well, uh, be ready for loudness? Pentecostals believe in the active presence of the gifts of the holy spirit. You will hear people shouting "Amen!" a lot during sermons and occasionally people break out in speaking tongues. It's pretty intense, although not for me.

The theology is way different than Catholicism but it is pretty typical of Protestantism: The bible is the only authority for matters of faith, the church is all believers etc. the key separating factor is the gifts of the holy spirit, that is what makes them distinct.

Good luck
Aye. But Pentecostal churches vary widely in how much they emphasize all that stuff. My AG (Assemblies of God) church is relatively reserved, and doesn't go in for loudness (apart from the worship music, which sometimes rocks out) or showy use of the spiritual gifts. You might have a hard time telling us apart from a charismatic-friendly non-denominational church. Others are just as Zoness describes.

Last edited by a moderator:
Upvote 0

Izdaari Eristikon

Mar 12, 2007
Post Falls, Idaho
✟32,841.00
Country
United States
Faith
Episcopalian
Marital Status
Married
Shouldn't beliefs be the main determining factor in trying to join a denomination? Yeah the type of service does help in motivating one in going to church on Sabbath, but if I was to identify myself with a denomination I'd want to be sure that I actually agreed with that denomination in case someone were to discuss the bible on an intellectual level with me.

You don't know how frustrating it is for someone like me to come across the kind of people who don't know why they're saying the things they're saying in regards to the bible. I'm not saying that this is what you are, because I don't know you. It's just what you said reminded me of some people I've encountered in the past.

But, you and I are in a similar situation, where I'm looking for a denomination which fits my preferences. For me, however, beliefs are a big issue. It's not that I think that MY beliefs are the only correct ones to have, but it's mainly for self-identification purposes. I don't want to identify myself with a denomination I know nothing about, because then I might be assumed to have beliefs which I don't have.
Right. A sufficient level of agreement on theology is the first thing I look for. It doesn't have to be a perfect match. With my unique set of beliefs, I'd probably never find that. So close enough will have to do.

My AG church is basically conservative (but not legalistic) Methodist/Wesleyan in theology, with the charismatic stuff added and some emerging church attitudes (the pastors are Rob Bell and Donald Miller fans, as am I). That combo suits me well enough.

Upvote 0

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
The contrast between Catholicism (of any sort) and Pentecostalism as you describe your interest in the latter is so huge that any quick answer is bound to be superficial. This is a divide that is not easily bridged.

I immediately thought of charismatic Catholics, as did Redheadedstepchild, but their approach to the gifts, etc. is much more muted than you described. It's more Catholic than Pentecostal, in short. But it might be worth looking into since you still have a love for Catholic worship and say you'd never leave the Catholic fold. In this case we are speaking of special worship services, etc. that the Roman Catholic Church hosts for those members of its own parishes, not a separate denomination.

There is also the Charismatic Episcopal Church that is similar, except it's more connected by history and style to the Anglican churches than to the Roman Church. You might have some difficulty finding a parish near you.

Upvote 0

choirfiend

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Jul 2, 2005
Pennsylvania
✟54,941.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
The differences are more than just stylistic things during a worship service/Mass. The beliefs are completely opposite. They Christ who they each teach is vastly different. What do you believe about Christ? Is He in the Body and Blood, or not? You can't just go to church b/c you like the style--there has to be more depth in what you choose to align your worship with.

Upvote 0

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
You can't just go to church b/c you like the style--there has to be more depth in what you choose to align your worship with.
As a matter of fact, anyone can visit almost any church he chooses, without preconditions. This is one good way to begin a search for a wide range of relevant information that could help a seeker reach a decision about church membership. Another is to ask people who might have personal knowledge, as raz! has done.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums