Site Supporter
Jun 22, 2007
California
✟551,233.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Non-spiritual inducements to attract people to church are unethical: this is the consensus of Catholic and mainline Protestants over the years.
I don't believe that's the objective - to attract people to church - but, instead, to (in their words, from their web site) "Allow God’s voice to penetrate our souls through regular Bible reading" and how that is "important and essential to nourish the soul". I'm afraid if I post anything beyond this, it will seem as if I'm debating (if it doesn't already appear that way).

Reactions: actionsub
Upvote 0

FireDragon76

Site Supporter
Apr 30, 2013
Orlando, Florida
✟1,261,687.00
Country
United States
Faith
United Ch. of Christ
Politics
US-Democrat
I actually am more liberal in some ways probably than Castle Church, and I do agree that Jesus was a "friend of sinners", but I think proselytism using inducements is unethical, disrespects the spiritual integrity of the human person and corrupts those who are involved in it. Simply put, the old model of "doing church" is good because it does not confuse what is being offered at church.

Even soft-pedalling your message can be a kind of inducement. Wrapping up emergent evangelical religion in a warm, fuzzy package is potentially deceptive behavior. (note how their website puts "theology" in quotes, yet they also claim to subscribe to the Book of Concord, for instance). This sort of praxis is a misreading of theological modernism.

Community @ Castle Church

And listen to the title on this article "Brewery Church is the Latest in Craft of Luring Folks to Church".

'Brewery church' is the latest in craft of luring folks to church - Religion News Service

The title alone speaks volumes about the perception of this. Is the Gospel alone such a cheap thing that now it must be given away with swag?

Last edited:
Upvote 0

tampasteve

Pray for peace in Israel
Christian Forums Staff
Administrator
Angels Team
CF Senior Ambassador
Site Supporter
May 15, 2017
Tampa
✟777,861.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I recently had some time to take off of work and had a day without anything scheduled so I took a drive over to Orlando to check out Castle Church. Overall it was a really nice experience. The facility is fairly small, but very clean and has an industrial feel to it. The church part of the facility is separated from the bar area by a large wall that encloses a kids play area and meeting space. I only tried two beers since I had to drive myself home. The "All Saints Einbecker" and "This Little Light" pilsner. I really liked the All Saints, but the pilsner was not something I would order again. The All Saints is "an historically accurate synthesis of wheat and pale malts, noble hops, and blend of regional yeasts marries character with drinkability, a living replica of the beer Martin Luther preferred with friends and family. "

Here are a few pictures:
IMG_20191107_130605.jpg
IMG_20191107_130620.jpg
IMG_20191107_130722.jpg
IMG_20191107_130713.jpg

Upvote 0

actionsub

Sir, this is a Wendy's...
Jun 20, 2004
Belleville, IL
✟57,546.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
It's funny you brought this church-pub up because my mom mentioned this yesterday as she drove us to the vesper's service at church. She has a friend that goes there. She didn't talk about many details.

Personally, it makes me die a little inside just to think about, and I'm shocked anybody in the ELCA thought this was a good way to do church. It sounds like the cheap and sleazy stuff that some evangelicals engage in, in the name of proselytism. Everything is prostituted in the name of getting you to make that decision they want to hear. I'm open to seeing another perspectives, though.

One of the UCC churches in town does this. And if you know anything about the UCC, it's that their Reformed background makes them leery of anything that sounds like "making that decision". For either UCC or ELCA, it seems more like taking the church to the people rather than expecting them to come to you, more serving than proselytizing.

• Agree
Reactions: tampasteve
Upvote 0

tampasteve

Pray for peace in Israel
Christian Forums Staff
Administrator
Angels Team
CF Senior Ambassador
Site Supporter
May 15, 2017
Tampa
✟777,861.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
One of the UCC churches in town does this. And if you know anything about the UCC, it's that their Reformed background makes them leery of anything that sounds like "making that decision". For either UCC or ELCA, it seems more like taking the church to the people rather than expecting them to come to you, more serving than proselytizing.
Agree, and it is definitely serving people that would otherwise be un-churched. The server told me that if it were not for Castle Church and the ELCA she would not be a part of Christianity, rather blunt, but it was in step with the conversation.

Reactions: mkgal1
Upvote 0

MarkRohfrietsch

Unapologetic Apologist
Site Supporter
Dec 8, 2007
✟828,591.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
I actually am more liberal in some ways probably than Castle Church, and I do agree that Jesus was a "friend of sinners", but I think proselytism using inducements is unethical, disrespects the spiritual integrity of the human person and corrupts those who are involved in it. Simply put, the old model of "doing church" is good because it does not confuse what is being offered at church.

Even soft-pedalling your message can be a kind of inducement. Wrapping up emergent evangelical religion in a warm, fuzzy package is potentially deceptive behavior. (note how their website puts "theology" in quotes, yet they also claim to subscribe to the Book of Concord, for instance). This sort of praxis is a misreading of theological modernism.

Community @ Castle Church

And listen to the title on this article "Brewery Church is the Latest in Craft of Luring Folks to Church".

'Brewery church' is the latest in craft of luring folks to church - Religion News Service

The title alone speaks volumes about the perception of this. Is the Gospel alone such a cheap thing that now it must be given away with swag?
We are seriously considering "Theology on Tap", to create an approachable and informal atmosphere. The people we need to reach are not the ones in the pews, it is the ones that have no intention of walking through the doors of a Church that are in the greatest need.

• Agree
Reactions: tampasteve
Upvote 0

Archivist

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Mar 5, 2004
Morgantown, West Virginia, USA
✟571,140.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
I thought that this was interesting: The Other Reformation: How Martin Luther Changed Our Beer, Too.

BTW, there is a microbrewery in the City of Pittsburgh that is in a former Roman Catholic Church. Their slogan is "And on the eighth day, God created beer." They brew up where the alter used to be. Among their beers are Celestial Gold, Pipe Organ Pale Ale, and Pious Monk Dunkel. Beautiful facility with great beer and food.

Upvote 0

tampasteve

Pray for peace in Israel
Christian Forums Staff
Administrator
Angels Team
CF Senior Ambassador
Site Supporter
May 15, 2017
Tampa
✟777,861.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
FWIW, I made what is becoming an Annual Pilgrimage for me this past November. They are doing OK, all things considered with COVID. They are now canning beer to-go on demand, as well as having some pre-canned for purchase. It is still a great environment and I look forward to another trip at some point.

Upvote 0

Shane R

Priest
Site Supporter
Jan 18, 2012
Southeast Ohio
✟567,160.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Widowed
I visited this winery in the fall of 2019: https://www.danishcountrysidevinesandwines.com/
It was late enough in the year that the harvest had begun. The proprietor is a pastor in LCMC. He is not trying to run a church out of the place but he does rent it out as a wedding chapel.

When he heard I was an Anglican priest he showed me his personal place of prayer. He was beginning to experiment with incense and I showed him a few things about using a censer. When I departed I had 1/2 a case of wine in my possession.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

tampasteve

Pray for peace in Israel
Christian Forums Staff
Administrator
Angels Team
CF Senior Ambassador
Site Supporter
May 15, 2017
Tampa
✟777,861.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I visited this winery in the fall of 2019: https://www.danishcountrysidevinesandwines.com/
It was late enough in the year that the harvest had begun. The proprietor is a pastor in LCMC. He is not trying to run a church out of the place but he does rent it out as a wedding chapel.

When he heard I was an Anglican priest he showed me his personal place of prayer. He was beginning to experiment with incense and I showed him a few things about using a censer. When I departed I had 1/2 a case of wine in my possession.
That is very cool, thank you for sharing!

• Friendly
Reactions: Shane R
Upvote 0

tampasteve

Pray for peace in Israel
Christian Forums Staff
Administrator
Angels Team
CF Senior Ambassador
Site Supporter
May 15, 2017
Tampa
✟777,861.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
As of the end of the year Castle Church is not open any longer. It seems there may have been some financial issues or improprieties going on that caused them to close or be closed abruptly. They may still be brewing for local distribution, and they say they will open a new brewery soon, but they have not mentioned what will come of the church part, if anything. If I were to bet on the project I would assume they will not open again at all, but we shall see.

*Edit*
It appears that the church is still meeting on Wednesday nights and Sunday mornings at a different location.

Last edited:
Upvote 0