Can you refute this argument for the permissibility of public nudity?

blackhole

Apr 5, 2019
South Dakota
✟20,013.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I agree, and good point, so how can we know, as the OP states, if it was invented or not at the time he mentions?

My first impression of the OP was we were getting a false/not well thought out, justification for public nudity. And now that the time has come to back it up, ain't nary a peep. :)

blackhole were you wanting to become a nudist/are one already?

Is it not obvious from my preface "the argument goes" that it's not my argument? I can't back it up because I don't fully understand it.

Reactions: Darkhorse
Upvote 0

Kenny'sID

Site Supporter
Feb 28, 2016
USA
✟585,394.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Is it not obvious from my preface "the argument goes" that it's not my argument? I can't back it up because I don't fully understand it.

I understand. You have my reason there really is no valid argument, or the refute you asked for, and until we track down the original source of the "argument", it's going to be impossible to debate if I'm right or not.

Someone has to attempt to back up the claims in the OP.

Upvote 0

CaspianSails

Jan 30, 2019
Washington DC metro area
✟27,746.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Adam and Eve were nude before the fall. After the fall they became ashamed and covered themselves. God gave them more adequate clothing. Fallen man has a problem with nudity and part of that is lust of the flesh, literally. Therefor mankind currently is clothed. Is it a sin to be nude? No, however it is a sin to lust. In mans perfect created state he was nude and was without the need for clothing.

Upvote 0

LoveofTruth

Christ builds His church from within us
Jun 29, 2015
✟167,289.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
The argument goes:

During the exodus, 600,000 'men on foot' left Egypt and spent years wandering through a desert. There are 20 or more commands related to bathing; bathing wasn't an option. Given the multitude and insufficient water sources (cf. Num 20:11), bathing could not have been private. Bathing underwear had not yet been invented. Therefore, it follows that public nudity was not sinful.

Responses?
Revelation 3:18. I counsel thee to buy of me gold tried in the fire, that thou mayest be rich; and white raiment, that thou mayest be clothed, and that the shame of thy nakedness do not appear; and anoint thine eyes with eyesalve, that thou mayest see.”

Upvote 0