Can you refute this argument for the permissibility of public nudity?

A_Thinker

Site Supporter
Apr 23, 2004
Midwest
✟953,784.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
They were the ones who tipped God off by hiding their nakedness. Had they not done so He wouldn't have bothered.
Really ... Adam/Eve tipped God off ???

So, your position is that, in the aftermath of the Fall, God was of a mind to be deferential to Adam/Eve ?

Upvote 0

A_Thinker

Site Supporter
Apr 23, 2004
Midwest
✟953,784.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Adam and Eve had already made garments of leaves; God replaced them with garments of animal skin.
Yes, they had, and yes, ... He did.

Is it your position that God clothed Adam/Eve per His will ... or in deference to Adam/Eve ?

Upvote 0

Archivist

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Mar 5, 2004
Morgantown, West Virginia, USA
✟571,140.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
Yes, they had, and yes, ... He did.

Is it your position that God clothed Adam/Eve per His will ... or in deference to Adam/Eve ?

My position is that the whole Garden story is an allegory, not an account of an actual event. That is, however, a whole different thread. My earlier post was simply to point out that in the allegory God had simply replaced garments that Adam and Eve had already made.

Last edited:
  • Agree
Reactions: JackRT
Upvote 0

timothyu

Dec 31, 2018
up there
✟307,583.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
So, your position is that, in the aftermath of the Fall, God was of a mind to be deferential to Adam/Eve ?

He helped them out because there was going to be a shortage of bushes to hide behind out in the real world. If your dog or cat suddenly became self aware and self conscious would you not help them out with an outfit?

• Agree
Reactions: Darkhorse
Upvote 0

A_Thinker

Site Supporter
Apr 23, 2004
Midwest
✟953,784.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
He helped them out because there was going to be a shortage of bushes to hide behind out in the real world. If your dog or cat suddenly became self aware and self conscious would you not help them out with an outfit?
LOL ...

Upvote 0

Hawkins

Site Supporter
Apr 27, 2005
Canada
✟238,750.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
They lack drinking water no doubt. But does it say that they lack bathing water as well. They live in tents which can have set aside partitions for bathing. Several families may share a tent, they can take turn to use barrels for bathing privately.

People don't bath very often in an area lacking water, not on a daily basis at least. They rub with wet cloth, everyone in the same family can dip cloth to the same basin of water. They wash away dirt on feet as the last step, can also use shared water if necessary.

Upvote 0

timothyu

Dec 31, 2018
up there
✟307,583.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
People don't bath very often in an area lacking water, not on a daily basis at least.
Go back 70 years to rural America. Heating cold water, often rainwater in the summer. Melting ice or snow in the winter. Doable although well spread out in occurrence, but far more convenient than wandering about in a desert. There is a reason they are called deserts.

• Agree
Upvote 0

JackRT

Site Supporter
Oct 17, 2015
small town Ontario, Canada
✟767,295.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Unorthodox
Marital Status
Married
The logistics problems entailed by an Exodus, as biblically described, are so formidable as to render it impossible. The bible suggests that 3 to 3.5 million people were involved. This would require 1500 tons of food daily and that would require two, mile long, freight trains daily. Who grew this food and where was it grown? That food needs to be cooked and that would require 4000 tons of wood daily to be carried by about six more mile long freight trains daily. Oh my, what about water? A conservative estimate is that 11,000,000 gallons were needed daily. To carry all this a train of tank cars 18 miles long would be required daily. The nightly camp would have to be roughly 750 square miles. Can you just imagine distributing all that food, wood and water in such a camp? We haven't even touched on the care of their animals. For these reasons I believe that the bible account is mythological in nature. If there actually was an Exodus it must have been very much smaller --- perhaps a few hundred to a few thousand of people. It also could have consisted of a number of these smaller migrations over several generations.

Upvote 0

A_Thinker

Site Supporter
Apr 23, 2004
Midwest
✟953,784.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
The logistics problems entailed by an Exodus, as biblically described, are so formidable as to render it impossible. The bible suggests that 3 to 3.5 million people were involved. This would require 1500 tons of food daily and that would require two, mile long, freight trains daily. Who grew this food and where was it grown? That food needs to be cooked and that would require 4000 tons of wood daily to be carried by about six more mile long freight trains daily. Oh my, what about water? A conservative estimate is that 11,000,000 gallons were needed daily. To carry all this a train of tank cars 18 miles long would be required daily. The nightly camp would have to be roughly 750 square miles. Can you just imagine distributing all that food, wood and water in such a camp? We haven't even touched on the care of their animals. For these reasons I believe that the bible account is mythological in nature. If there actually was an Exodus it must have been very much smaller --- perhaps a few hundred to a few thousand of people. It also could have consisted of a number of these smaller migrations over several generations.
How do you think that persons living in the Middle East survived ?

The scriptures say that God provided food (i.e. manna) daily ... and provided water from springs ...

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Gregory Thompson

Change is inevitable, feel free to spare some.
Site Supporter
Dec 20, 2009
Canada
✟722,927.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Married
The argument goes:

During the exodus, 600,000 'men on foot' left Egypt and spent years wandering through a desert. There are 20 or more commands related to bathing; bathing wasn't an option. Given the multitude and insufficient water sources (cf. Num 20:11), bathing could not have been private. Bathing underwear had not yet been invented. Therefore, it follows that public nudity was not sinful.

Responses?
"Who told you that you were naked?"

Upvote 0

Nancy Hale

Dec 29, 2019
Nevada
✟24,486.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Adam and Eve had already made garments of leaves; God replaced them with garments of animal skin.
I think it's fascinating they used fig leaves and one of the last things Jesus did was wilt that fig tree that was unable to bear fruit. I've also heard that it's believed God made the clothes out of lambs skin because the only thing that can truly cover sin is the blood of the lamb, but haven't found anything supporting that in the bible yet.

Upvote 0

Kenny'sID

Site Supporter
Feb 28, 2016
USA
✟585,394.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Bathing underwear had not yet been invented.

bathing could not have been private.

Prove both of those things.

The first is just an assumption, that appears to be brought on by very little consideration. The second, where is it stated under garments weren't invented? When was underwear invented?

) Can you substantiate your claim?

Can you?

IOW, it appears you made a huge, invalid leap here

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Archivist

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Mar 5, 2004
Morgantown, West Virginia, USA
✟571,140.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
When was underwear invented?

I’m not sure that underwear was ever “invented” in the way that we use the word today. Someone was probably wearing an animal skin, got cold, and wrapped a second skin over themselves thereby making the first skin an undergarment.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

BobRyan

Angels Team
Site Supporter
Nov 21, 2008
Georgia
✟913,306.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
The argument goes:

During the exodus, 600,000 'men on foot' left Egypt and spent years wandering through a desert. There are 20 or more commands related to bathing; bathing wasn't an option. Given the multitude and insufficient water sources (cf. Num 20:11), bathing could not have been private. Bathing underwear had not yet been invented. Therefore, it follows that public nudity was not sinful.

Responses?

extreme inference and extrapolation.

Gen 3
7 Then the eyes of both of them were opened, and they knew that they were naked; and they sewed fig leaves together and made themselves loin coverings. 8 They heard the sound of the Lord God walking in the garden in the cool of the day, and the man and his wife hid themselves from the presence of the Lord God among the trees of the garden. 9 Then the Lord God called to the man, and said to him, “Where are you?” 10 He said, “I heard the sound of You in the garden, and I was afraid because I was naked;

2 Sam 10

Has not David instead sent his servants to explore the city, spy it out, and overthrow it?” 4So Hanun took David’s servants, shaved off half of each man's beard, cut their garments in half at the hips, and sent them away. 5When this was reported to David, he sent messengers to meet the men, since they had been thoroughly humiliated.

Upvote 0

Hawkins

Site Supporter
Apr 27, 2005
Canada
✟238,750.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Go back 70 years to rural America. Heating cold water, often rainwater in the summer. Melting ice or snow in the winter. Doable although well spread out in occurrence, but far more convenient than wandering about in a desert. There is a reason they are called deserts.

Do you know that there are actually animals living in deserts?

There are waters in deserts drinkable for animals but may not be drinkable for humans. Deserts are not always with 0 water, that's a misconception!

Oasis:
a small fertile or green area in a desert region, usually having a spring or well.

There's a reason that they are called oases.

That said. I simply think that you need to actually go to the region north of Sinai to see whether it is inhabitable, though you may call any area there a desert.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Disciple of Jesus
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
✟146,199.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
...Given the multitude and insufficient water sources (cf. Num 20:11), bathing could not have been private. ...

Sorry, I don’t think there is any reason to believe that. They had for example tents, easily could have been used to give shelter for those who bath.

Upvote 0

Kenny'sID

Site Supporter
Feb 28, 2016
USA
✟585,394.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I’m not sure that underwear was ever “invented” in the way that we use the word today. Someone was probably wearing an animal skin, got cold, and wrapped a second skin over themselves thereby making the first skin an undergarment.

I agree, and good point, so how can we know, as the OP states, if it was invented or not at the time he mentions?

My first impression of the OP was we were getting a false/not well thought out, justification for public nudity. And now that the time has come to back it up, ain't nary a peep. :)

blackhole were you wanting to become a nudist/are one already?

Upvote 0