Can you only be saved in the right denomination?

Can you only be saved if you are in specific denomination?

• Yes, you have to believe in a specific denomination.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No, anyone who believes in Christ can be saved

Votes: 51 100.0%
  • Only those who are in the original Church of Christ can be saved

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

AlexDTX

Site Supporter
Jun 13, 2015
✟328,934.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Then why do people act like Hell is an eternal cruel fiery torture?
Because of a careless reading of Scriptures and generations of people making such thoughtless statements. In a practical sense, however, if you are in Hell, then you will also be in the Lake of Fire later, so the end is assumed in the beginning.

Upvote 0

AvgJoe

Member since 2005
Site Supporter
Feb 5, 2005
Texas
✟332,816.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Private
Listen, no one is SAVED until they get to heaven. The Bible says

''work out your salvation with fear and trembling''
''many are called, few are chosen,''
''always pray that you are counted worthy to stand before the Lamb,''
''seek with diligence that your calling and election is sure''
''The road that leads to life is VERY NARROW, and the road to destruction is very broad for the many who choose that path''

We are to seek to be counted worthy, not pray a prayer and your saved... it doesn't work like that. I don't know about you but those verses SCARE me. The devil wants you to think you are always saved so that you sear your conscience and no longer fear the Lord and no longer pursue absolute righteousness and holiness which is what we are supposed to do. Churches today are leading people astray because they aren't telling people these hard truths. REAL Christianity is TOUGH and the truths in the scriptures are VERY hard. When I read the scriptures I start to tremble because it frightens me so bad sometimes.

edit- also, in that verse, they are saying ''Lord didn't we do all these mighty things in your name?''- he's talking about Christians who THINK they are saved but never really were. Can we heal people and cast out demons and not be saved? Oh yea, and churches today aren't even doing that.

We have to become a ''good tree.'' We are not saved by WORKS per-se but if we are born of God we WILL eventually do good works. Cold religion works are what the catholic church does and are exactly the opposite of doing works out of real love from God- we are supposed to be a ''joyful giver'' and do works led by the Spirit... not with our own strength, with His strength... The good works are a by-product of BEING a good tree, walking in righteousness, and following the leading of the Holy Spirit.

I'm not perfect yet but I press on toward the prize

1 John 5:11-13 (NLT)
11) And this is what God has testified: He has given us eternal life, and this life is in his Son. 12) Whoever has the Son has life; whoever does not have God’s Son does not have life. 13) I have written this to you who believe in the name of the Son of God, so that you may know you have eternal life.​

Upvote 0

Lukaris

Orthodox Christian
Site Supporter
Aug 3, 2007
Pennsylvania, USA
✟754,674.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
I believe in Jesus Christ as Lord and savior and that the Orthodox Church is the apostolic church. While there are some beliefs other Christians have that the church cannot reconcile, the Holy Spirit moves those He knows to salvation. I do not assume I am saved and another Christian is not. I believe Jesus Christ will determine the salvation or damnation of non Christians according to those who honored Him even if they did not fully understand in their earthly life ( as per John 5:22-30, Matthew 25:32-46, Romans 2 etc. ). I did not vote since I am not sure if my understanding would fit the options ( no criticism intended).

• Agree
Reactions: FenderTL5
Upvote 0

twinserk

Apr 16, 2011
South
✟31,361.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Private
You know, this verse is misapplied ALL the time. What in context is Jesus condemning? Is He condemning people who believe? No- in no wise. He is condemning people who DO! People who point to their works as a sign that they know Him. Jesus does not say "Depart from me, ye believers." He says "Depart from me, ye WORKERS of iniquity."

This verse is often used against salvation by grace through faith.

What is God's will according to Christ Jesus?

John 6:28-54

"Then said they unto Him, What shall we do, that we might work the works of God? Jesus answered and said unto them, This is the work of God, that YE BELIEVE on Him whom He hath sent."

"And Jesus said unto them, I am the bread of life: he that cometh to me shall never hunger; and he that BELIEVETH on me shall never thirst."

"But I said unto you, That ye also have seen me, and believe not. All that the Father giveth me shall come to me: and him that cometh to me I will in no wise cast out."

"For I came down from Heaven not to do my own will, but the will of Him who sent me. And this is the Father's will which hath sent me, that of all which He hath given me I should lose nothing, but should raise it up again at the last day."

"And this is the will of Him that sent me, that every one which seeth the Son, and BELIEVETH on Him may have everlasting life: and I will raise him up at the last day."

"Verily, verily, I say unto you, He that BELIEVETH on me hath everlasting life."

The people sent away were workers of iniquity, not workers of the law. Which is what you appear to be suggesting.

When you believe something, you act on it. If you don't act on it, then it's clear you don't believe it. So belief naturally leads to action. If you believe Christ, then you will obey Him. Empty faith or belief all by itself is not enough. There's plenty of that going around.

James 2:14 What doth it profit, my brethren, though a man say he hath faith, and have not works? can faith save him?

The Messiah instructed us to judge people by their actions.

Matthew 7:16 Ye shall know them by their fruits. Do men gather grapes of thorns, or figs of thistles? 17 Even so every good tree bringeth forth good fruit; but a corrupt tree bringeth forth evil fruit.

Someone who professes faith in Christ, yet does not obey Him (actions), is a liar.

1 John 2:4 He that saith, I know him, and keepeth not his commandments, is a liar, and the truth is not in him.

The Messiah told us as much. Actions (fruit) is required.

Matthew 7:24 Therefore whosoever heareth these sayings of mine, and doeth them, I will liken him unto a wise man, which built his house upon a rock...... 26 And every one that heareth these sayings of mine, and doeth them not, shall be likened unto a foolish man, which built his house upon the sand:

Faith merely gets you started, then you walk in it. That's what the Messiah was talking about in the verse where he sent people away from Him. They were workers of iniquity (sin). They didn't obey Him, they stopped at verbal profession and doing good deeds.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Neogaia777

Old Soul
Site Supporter
Oct 10, 2011
Oregon
✟960,797.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Celibate
The people sent away were workers of iniquity, not workers of the law. Which is what you appear to be suggesting.

When you believe something, you act on it. If you don't act on it, then it's clear you don't believe it. So belief naturally leads to action. If you believe Christ, then you will obey Him. Empty faith or belief all by itself is not enough. There's plenty of that going around.

James 2:14 What doth it profit, my brethren, though a man say he hath faith, and have not works? can faith save him?

Matthew 7:16 Ye shall know them by their fruits. Do men gather grapes of thorns, or figs of thistles? 17 Even so every good tree bringeth forth good fruit; but a corrupt tree bringeth forth evil fruit.

Someone who professes faith in Christ, yet does not obey Him (actions), is a liar.

1 John 2:4 He that saith, I know him, and keepeth not his commandments, is a liar, and the truth is not in him.

Matthew 7:24 Therefore whosoever heareth these sayings of mine, and doeth them, I will liken him unto a wise man, which built his house upon a rock...... 26 And every one that heareth these sayings of mine, and doeth them not, shall be likened unto a foolish man, which built his house upon the sand:

Faith merely gets you started, then you walk in it. That's what the Messiah was talking about in the verse where he sent people away from Him. They were workers of iniquity (sin). They didn't obey Him, they stopped at verbal profession and doing good deeds.
"Not one of you obeys the law." John 7:19

The conundrum: Sinning

• Agree
Reactions: Galatea
Upvote 0

PeaceB

Apr 20, 2017
Arlington
✟37,717.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Engaged
"Not one of you obeys the law." John 7:19
In the time of Herod king of Judea there was a priest named Zechariah, who belonged to the priestly division of Abijah; his wife Elizabeth was also a descendant of Aaron. Both of them were righteous in the sight of God, observing all the Lord’s commands and decrees blamelessly.

Upvote 0

Neogaia777

Old Soul
Site Supporter
Oct 10, 2011
Oregon
✟960,797.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Celibate
In the time of Herod king of Judea there was a priest named Zechariah, who belonged to the priestly division of Abijah; his wife Elizabeth was also a descendant of Aaron. Both of them were righteous in the sight of God, observing all the Lord’s commands and decrees blamelessly.
"Observing all the Lord's commands and decrees blamelessly"

Means not sinning at all how...? What about sin they were not yet conscious of...? What if they had a better life or different kind of life that made them better and more able to be disposed to obeying, if that's what "Observing all the Lord's commands and decrees blamelessly" means...

How or why or how did they come to be able to obey, if that's what they did/were doing...? Had they ever sinned before becoming obedient in their life...?

There had to be some need for some kind of grace in there somewhere...

What commands, the ones about Love and faith and the golden rule or new covenant, or the old covenant...?

So many questions...?

God Bless!

Upvote 0

2PhiloVoid

Site Supporter
Oct 28, 2006
The Void!
✟1,133,168.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Can you only be saved if you pick the right denomination? Or can be people be saved in any Christian denomination, as long as they believe in Jesus?

Once someone told me that everyone in a denomination of Christianity was going to Hell, unless they went to the original Church of Christ? But which one is that? Is it even still here today?

What do you think?

I take a historically, ecumenical position: a person can be saved in nearly any "Christian" denomination that has manifested over the last 2,000 years since Jesus first appeared. Notice I do say 'nearly.' One can be Messianic Jewish, Roman Catholic, or Eastern/Russian/Coptic Orthodox, or one of a variety of Protestants, but that person has to genuinely be repentant over sin and have some amount of authentic faith in Jesus Christ, even if that faith is the size of a mere mustard seed. :cool:

Peace,
2PhiloVoid

Last edited:
  • Agree
Reactions: Galatea
Upvote 0

disciple1

Aug 1, 2012
✟62,178.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Can you only be saved if you pick the right denomination? Or can be people be saved in any Christian denomination, as long as they believe in Jesus?

Once someone told me that everyone in a denomination of Christianity was going to Hell, unless they went to the original Church of Christ? But which one is that? Is it even still here today?

What do you think?
1 Corinthians chapter 1 verse 21
For since in the wisdom of God the world through its wisdom did not know him, God was pleased through the foolishness of what was preached to save those who believe.
I think every church building is a cult, you can learn from the bible, but the bible has nothing good to say about pastors.

Upvote 0

Mrs.PGL

Site Supporter
Dec 12, 2015
windsor ontario
✟69,644.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Why do people need to die in Hell at all?
Because God is a just God. Sins need to be punished.
Christ died on the cross, and walked in the flesh afterward to show He overcame evil and could forgive our sin, but, we need to repent of our sin and let Him do the rest of the work.
Should we choose not to repent of our sin, and accept Jesus as our Lord and Saviour, it is us who has made the decision to go to Hell. Christ will not force Himself on us here, or afterward.

J. Vernon McGee said:

"We get a warped view of Him when all we hear is, 'God is love, God is love.' It is true that God is love, but don't lose sight of the fact that God is also holy. He is righteous and He will judge. You are not rushing into heaven on the little love boat today. If you reject His salvation, there will be nothing left but judgment.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Galatea

Oct 18, 2016
Alabama
✟70,081.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single

Matthew
Listen, no one is SAVED until they get to heaven. The Bible says

''work out your salvation with fear and trembling''
''many are called, few are chosen,''
''always pray that you are counted worthy to stand before the Lamb,''
''seek with diligence that your calling and election is sure''
''The road that leads to life is VERY NARROW, and the road to destruction is very broad for the many who choose that path''

We are to seek to be counted worthy, not pray a prayer and your saved... it doesn't work like that. I don't know about you but those verses SCARE me. The devil wants you to think you are always saved so that you sear your conscience and no longer fear the Lord and no longer pursue absolute righteousness and holiness which is what we are supposed to do. Churches today are leading people astray because they aren't telling people these hard truths. REAL Christianity is TOUGH and the truths in the scriptures are VERY hard. When I read the scriptures I start to tremble because it frightens me so bad sometimes.

edit- also, in that verse, they are saying ''Lord didn't we do all these mighty things in your name?''- he's talking about Christians who THINK they are saved but never really were. Can we heal people and cast out demons and not be saved? Oh yea, and churches today aren't even doing that.

We have to become a ''good tree.'' We are not saved by WORKS per-se but if we are born of God we WILL eventually do good works. Cold religion works are what the catholic church does and are exactly the opposite of doing works out of real love from God- we are supposed to be a ''joyful giver'' and do works led by the Spirit... not with our own strength, with His strength... The good works are a by-product of BEING a good tree, walking in righteousness, and following the leading of the Holy Spirit.

I'm not perfect yet but I press on toward the prize
I'm not afraid. I don't believe God wants me to be good out of fear for my immortal soul.

Salvation is a know so thing, not a hope so.

II Timothy 1:12 "For I know whom I have believed, and am persuaded that He is able to keep that which I have committed unto Him against that day."

Next verse: "Hold fast the form of sound words, which thou hast heard of me, in faith and love which is in Christ Jesus."

I was afraid before I was saved, I am not now. There is no fear in Jesus. Perfect love casts out fear and His love is perfect.

Romans 8:15 "For ye have not received the spirit of bondage again to fear; but ye have received the Spirit of adoption, whereby we cry, Abba, Father."

Next verse "The Spirit itself beareth witness with our spirit, that we are the children of God."

I John 4:18 "There is no fear in love; but perfect love casteth out fear: because fear hath torment. He that feareth is not made perfect in love.

I John 5:10-14 "He that believeth on the Son of God hath the witness in himself: he that believeth not God hath made Him a liar; because he believeth not the record that God gave of His Son.

And this is the record, that God hath given us eternal life, and this life is in His Son.

He that hath the Son hath life; and he that hath not the Son hath not life.

These things have I written unto you that believe on the name of the Son of God; that ye may KNOW that ye have eternal life, and that ye may believe on the name of the Son of God."

I have no fear for my soul. My fear is for whether or not I mess up my life down here, how it affects my witness, my disappointing my Father, grieving His heart.

But I am at perfect peace because I know whom I have trusted. It is not me, thank God!

You missed the verse after the one about working out your own salvation in fear and trembling.

Philippians 2:12-13

"Wherefore, my beloved, as ye have always obeyed, not as in my presence only, but now much more in my absence, work out your own salvation with fear and trembling.

For it is God which worketh in you both to will and to do of His good pleasure."

God is doing the working, not us.

II Timothy 1:7-10

For God hath not given us the spirit of fear; but of power, and of love, and of a sound mind

Be not thou therefore ashamed of the testimony of our Lord, nor of me His prisoner: but be thou partaker of the afflictions of the gospel according to the power of God;

Who hath saved us, and called us with an holy calling, not according to our works, but according to His own purpose and grace, which was given us in Christ Jesus before the world began.

But is now made manifest by the appearing of our Saviour Jesus Christ, who hath abolished death, and hath brought life and immortality to light through the gospel.

I know this is a long post, but you can KNOW you are saved. God adopts us when we're saved. He is not a father to throw away His children. He's a good father, the best. If we disappoint Him in this life, we hurt Him. If we sin, we get consequences down here. Just like an Earthly father disciplines his children. And, if we screw up, He may not give us any rewards in Heaven.

He'll never throw His children away, though. Sometimes, if they are disobedient- He'll shorten their lives down here and bring them on home. Just like if a child is misbehaving outside and his dad makes the child come home early so as not to get into more mischief.

Anyway, God is my Father and I know I will go Home to Him someday.

Upvote 0

Jesus4Ever

May 21, 2017
Nazareth
✟16,819.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
1 Corinthians chapter 1 verse 21
For since in the wisdom of God the world through its wisdom did not know him, God was pleased through the foolishness of what was preached to save those who believe.
I think every church building is a cult, you can learn from the bible, but the bible has nothing good to say about pastors.

But doesn't the bible say to meet with others to worship God?

• Agree
Reactions: Albion
Upvote 0

dqhall

Site Supporter
Jul 21, 2015
Florida
Visit site
✟766,603.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single

What do you think?
What denomination was Jesus of? What church was Matthew attending while he was writing his Gospel? Did Paul find a church meeting in Corinth or did he start one there?

Matthew 23:8 But don't you be called 'Rabbi,' for one is your teacher, the Christ, and all of you are brothers.

The remains of a first century synagogue was found at Magdala north of Tiberias in Galilee during the construction of a Catholic Retreat Center including 300 room hotel. This Roman era building floor was part of a small synagogue. People were allowed to walk about half a mile on Sabbath as it was a day of rest. They were not allowed to far to attend a distant synagogue. Capernaum center was less than a mile long. The early church meetings may have been patterned after the disciples' knowledge of synagogue organizations.

upload_2017-6-10_14-40-31.png

dqhall59.com (Israel Photos VI)

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Blade

Veteran
Site Supporter
Dec 29, 2002
USA
✟630,797.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I like what I heard one time. There are many tents.. just one camp. We see denominations" He does not. It is Jesus the belief in Him as John our brother by the sweet sweet Holy Spirit wrote that saves anyone. Now..when man ADDS to His word... the truly out come of that.. blood of Jesus.. I leave in His hands

There are some "denominations" that are not of GOD. So many times we do not stand we just compromise. He does not. My personally belief is NOT His word :) I am very proud happy over joyed that I get no say who has ever lasting life...unless they dont believe in Christ.. I can speak.. but of this we speak. If asked face to face I will speak.. but like this.. is foolish and would do more harm then good.

Man says most are lost.. and so far from what I can gather just from my own life? Yeah.. WOW.. I am wrong so much.. I look at someone and say. DUH they dont know God..just to find out .. wow what love they have for Him..so.. I truly believe most will be saved. To just call on His name.. Its like God saying.. SEE.. they just called on me.> SAVED! haha. Its the heart..what we will never see..what we never try to look at.. always flesh and then we judge.

But.. some things .. this CHURCH should be standing in.. bows to..

Upvote 0

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Gotta agree with PeaceB on this one. DENOMINATION may not matter, but it cannot be said that CHURCH doesn't matter, considering that Jesus himself is quoted in Scripture as saying that he was going to build his church and that it wouldn't fail.

I recognize that ChristianFromKazakhstan may have been referring to denomination when he wrote church, but loads of people, self-professed Christians, really do think that church doesn't matter. It may not be essential for salvation, but that doesn't mean that it doesn't matter.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Ignatius the Kiwi

Dissident
Mar 2, 2013
✟290,868.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
It's the wrong way to phrase the question. Denominations by their nature are insisting on something particular which must matter to some degree or another otherwise it would contradict it's own existence by insisting that it's peculiars don't really mean or matter anything.

Belonging to a particular "denomination" (in reality I think it right to call denominations Churches, since they are distinct bodies), does matter if any one particular group is right. If Catholics are right for instance, being a Protestant or an Orthodox Christian is a bad thing, though this doesn't speak a persons salvation. Only a non-denominational Christian could insist that belonging to a Church means nothing in regards to one's salvation since one's salvation is not determined in that view by belonging to a visible body which is Christ's but rather an invisible spiritual body only.

In my perspective, my 'denomination' is the Church, to which being joined is absolutely necessary for salvation. The Church cannot separated from Christ by insisting on it's only being recognised spiritually since it has a physical element which has been there since the first century. How, if any are saved outside the Church during this life I cannot say. But I find it preferable to the alternative which insists different churches are mere intellectual clubs to which one belongs and agrees with.

Upvote 0